Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2011, 16:58   #2656
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
.. DO NOT OVERFILL. IT WILL EVENTUALLY MAKE THE ENGINE SEALS GO KAPUT...

Completely agree with that. Make sure that the oil level doesn't cross the upper mark on the dip stick.

More importantly check the level on the next morning before you start your car and if the level is higher that the upper mark then get the extra bit drained.
Old 23rd December 2011, 19:14   #2657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
More importantly check the level on the next morning before you start your car and if the level is higher that the upper mark then get the extra bit drained.
Should we not be checking the oil level after few mins of idling for warm up?

Or the oil levels should be checked when the engine is cold?

Cheers
Old 23rd December 2011, 19:50   #2658
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post
Should we not be checking the oil level after few mins of idling for warm up?
The only place where the oil is checked after warming up is the Auto Transmission.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 19:57   #2659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
The capacity is 3.7L for civic. Please refer to owners manual, its mentioned there.. DO NOT OVERFILL. IT WILL EVENTUALLY MAKE THE ENGINE SEALS GO KAPUT.. Even if you consider the oil filter which will take some oil, you add another 200 ml, but thats still under 4L.

And yes, last I heard, Honda's recommended Ide Mitsui synthetic doesnt cost that much.. It costed us about 2800 for under 4L, 2-3 months back from ASC.
In fact the ASC charges you for 4 litres every time, even though they fill up less than that. This is based on the guise that they have to buy 4 ltr cans, which may not be necessarily true in their case since they may have loose stock of oil in large drums. I dont believe that they will be procuring oil in retail cans.
Old 25th December 2011, 12:27   #2660
Senior - BHPian

Hello,
I opened the hood of my civic for usual inspection which i do for both my cars weekly.I kind of noticed a stained oil container for the brake fluid.I hope this not much of a concern or anything.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-brakeoilcont.jpg

Upon opening the cap of the container i found the oil level to be ok.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-brkoil2.jpg

Would the stains be of any cause for worry ?

thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 01:26   #2661
BHPian

@sumeet
Not worries but just replace the Brake Oil with DOT4 oil as its required to be done every 1year or 2 cause being in mumbai the climate is very humid and hence the brake oil viscosity changes thus the pedal feel too.

To all

Well the key issue is sorted out with high dosage of WD40 got the car serviced and did oil change and coolant replacement as there was a minor leakage on the bottom hose of radiator which i got it cleaned and got resealed with silicon sealent so in this process lost almost a ltr of coolant which was topped with normal water thus owing to this the concentration was changed hence opted for coolant replacement
Total bill of service plus oil plus coolant along with labour came upto 9.8k which i find to be wayy high.

Now the UTTER sad part
the Radiator fan motor developed play in it, tried repairing it but didn work so had to replace it. Went for OEM replacement in DENSO for 6.5k

now in service it was found that Steering rack boot is toren and steering rack is also leaking oil thus showing an OIL seal failure now i have two option either to get the rack repaired at Honda for 18.5k or get it repaired from outside but the same source from where Honda gets it rack repaired from for 12k
Both options are giving 6months warranty.

I Dont Want To Replace the Rack as its insanely costly
Cost is Rs.48,795

help
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 09:55   #2662
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
@sumeet
Not worries but just replace the Brake Oil with DOT4 oil as its required to be done every 1year or 2 cause being in mumbai the climate is very humid and hence the brake oil viscosity changes thus the pedal feel too.
I think Honda says once in three years (irrespective of mileage). I agree that due to the hygroscopic nature of the fluid more frequent change Say,once in two years or so) may be desirable in coastal areas.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 10:40   #2663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
now in service it was found that Steering rack boot is toren and steering rack is also leaking oil thus showing an OIL seal failure now i have two option either to get the rack repaired at Honda for 18.5k or get it repaired from outside but the same source from where Honda gets it rack repaired from for 12k

Cost is Rs.48,795
If the leak isnt very big or even if it is but not very old, I doubt if a lot of dust managed to go inside and damage the shaft and the inner tie rod rod ends.

You need to visit a trustworthy independent garage and ask them to open the boot (in case of civic, may even have to take out complete rack) and check for damage, a thorough cleaning with some greese and new boot will do the job. There are seals inside the rack which doesnt allow dust to enter easily. Also replace the steering oil.. A new boot wont cost over Rs.500 and along with labour and PS oil, you'd end up paying under Rs.1500. If it works, you will save yourself some money, if not, you are looking at repairing the rack, which too should cost around 5k or soo at max.

Unless you are witnessing a vague steering (and outer tie rod ends are fine); you cannot say that you need a rack replacement as yet. The steering boot of friend's ikon 1.6 was replaced at 40k kms and he sold the car at 75k kms, without any steering issues.

New steering rack at 49k, CRAZY OEMs.... I tell you..

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 26th December 2011 at 10:45.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 12:25   #2664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The only place where the oil is checked after warming up is the Auto Transmission.
Please elaborate. I happened to check the transmission oil on my Civic recently and found it to be 3/4 of an inch over the MAX mark on the dip-stick. I had checked it on an absolutely cold car (As it was parked overnight in 10deg cold). Should I be worried due to the higher level?

Also, I tried really hard to bargain @Opera house for Brake pads. Found Made in Japan Semi-Metallic (same as OEM) Nissin Pads for 2.2k(Front only) from Chaddha Motors, Lamington road. Also got the brake fluid changed (TVS DOT4) and there is a marked difference in the brake feel. Thanks for all the help gang.

What I did find strange was that on the old pads was that the outer sides were almost fully worn but the inner side(the one with the metal clamp) were hardly 10%-15% used. This scene was similar on both front wheels. Since I had to change both sides of the brake pads, It was looking very wasteful to me.

P.S.: Civic and Accord brake pads are the exact same. Next time I am getting higher quality Kevlar brake pads and rotors from the US so that they wont need attention every 25k km .
Old 26th December 2011, 12:34   #2665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
What I did find strange was that on the old pads was that the outer sides were almost fully worn but the inner side(the one with the metal clamp) were hardly 10%-15% used. This scene was similar on both front wheels. Since I had to change both sides of the brake pads, It was looking very wasteful to me.
Get the discs shimmed/faced. You are probably looking at more uneven wear on the outer sides of the discs. It will lead to your new pads also wearing in the same fashion.. The inner side pads of my cedia were worn in 14k kms, while the outer ones had 70% life. My disc's inner side had more uneven wear. I got the discs faced and the current set is lasting in a better way, in terms even wear.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 26th December 2011 at 12:35.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 19:21   #2666
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
it was found that Steering rack boot is toren and steering rack is also leaking oil thus showing an OIL seal failure now i have two option either to get the rack repaired at Honda for 18.5k or get it repaired from outside but the same source from where Honda gets it rack repaired from for 12k

Cost is Rs.48,795

help
Would suggest to for the outside/independent garage job for 12k. Replacing the entire rack for 48k really sounds absurd.

Looks like the door beadings of my car is degrading at multiple positions. Found this recently on all the four doors. I guess it is time to replace them. How much would be the cost? I read 4k for all doors somewhere.
Old 26th December 2011, 20:05   #2667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Looks like the door beadings of my car is degrading at multiple positions. Found this recently on all the four doors. I guess it is time to replace them. How much would be the cost? I read 4k for all doors somewhere.
No, it is 4k only for the outer window felt strip on the door. I feel entire 4 door beadings will run more than 25k. Rubber is usually where Honda is really expensive.
sandeep108 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 20:35   #2668
Senior - BHPian

In my recent drive, I noted that there is some sort of vibration felt while applying brakes at high speeds, even when it is applied lightly to reduce speed. Is it something to do with worn out brake pads? I also noticed that there is is an unusual amount of brake dust on front left alloys, compared to other wheels.
vasoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 22:00   #2669
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
No, it is 4k only for the outer window felt strip on the door. I feel entire 4 door beadings will run more than 25k. Rubber is usually where Honda is really expensive.
Wow, I am hunting for words. Yeah rubber monomer prices (isoprene, butadiene, isobutylene) are on a high these days, but 25k??? What a joke.

So a DIY is in order.
Old 26th December 2011, 23:02   #2670
BHPian

@dot

I replaced the door bidding both inner and outer from Honda of my Rear left door total cost was 2.4k for single door and two biddings so roughly should come upto 10k or so at the max

Yes i am getting it repaired.

The rack leak has come as a shock and utter frustration and anger to me
the thing are the hondas made soo delicately that they cant even handle indian roads properly ?
Mount failuers and also rack failure is a big problem is civic.

My old lancer which had done 1.9lac kms before i sold it never developed a single rack problem and nor has my current lancer done 95k kms.

What was honda thinking when it designed the rack ?
and plus the wayyy absurd pricing of the rack

And to add to the pain the rack of civics uptill first half of 07 is priced for 18k while the rack of civics after that period is 49k
What are the changes i asked to the advisor he said none
then i asked then why such a big price difference he said its Honda.
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks