Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2016, 15:32   #7261
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
The air-conditioning works really well. I've done the diagnostic and there's no problem with the cooling or the fan speed.
The issue only crops up during a long drive, when the AC needs to work for hours at a stretch. The fan speed becomes very low, although it still throws out cold air. If I switch off the compressor/ turn off the AC, and switch it on after 5-10 mins, it'll start working again. But this cycle continues. So every half an hour or so, I need to turn it off for 5-10 mins for it to work well again.
Some of the guys at the forum suggested it could be a faulty relay, probably overheating or something.
As you're saying, if the Fan and the Ac doesn't stop working, then its not a relay problem. There is no slow fast about relay problems. A typical relay problem will make the related component either work or then stop completely. No slow fast thing.

Your fan speed thing seems to be like a typical Automatic Ac Mode functioning. If you are using in Auto-Mode then this is perfect. All Auto Ac's work like that. As the cabin temperature continues to drop over continuous Ac operation, the ACC (Automatic Climate Control) slows down the Fan Speed so as to keep the the temperature going down further from your set level.

If you're coming from a car without ACC then this might be new to you.

Try this, when the Fan speed drops to very slow next time, press the "Auto" button on the console and manually crank it up to the level you want. The "Auto" showing in the display should go off indicating you discontinued "ACC" Mode. Now your Fan speed should stay constant at the level you set.

If the fan speed stays, then you don't have a problem, actually.
Old 6th March 2016, 15:40   #7262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Not exactly. It was normal practice earlier. In fact I taught my kids smooth clutch control (in my Esteem) by making them release the clutch with no gas and avoiding a stall. A little throttle is normal when starting from zero.
The only problem is that the car requires substantial accelerator input and jerks while moving from a standstill.
Old 6th March 2016, 15:44   #7263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
As you're saying, if the Fan and the Ac doesn't stop working, then its not a relay problem. There is no slow fast about relay problems. A typical relay problem will make the related component either work or then stop completely. No slow fast thing.

Your fan speed thing seems to be like a typical Automatic Ac Mode functioning. If you are using in Auto-Mode then this is perfect. All Auto Ac's work like that. As the cabin temperature continues to drop over continuous Ac operation, the ACC (Automatic Climate Control) slows down the Fan Speed so as to keep the the temperature going down further from your set level.

If you're coming from a car without ACC then this might be new to you.

Try this, when the Fan speed drops to very slow next time, press the "Auto" button on the console and manually crank it up to the level you want. The "Auto" showing in the display should go off indicating you discontinued "ACC" Mode. Now your Fan speed should stay constant at the level you set.

If the fan speed stays, then you don't have a problem, actually.
My car is 9 years old. I do know how to set the AC on auto and change the fan speed manually

The issue I am facing is, on a long drive, the fan speed suddenly drops, and despite cranking it up manually, the fan speed remains the same. There is just very little airflow. It still throws cool air but absolutely no airflow. I tried getting the temperature lower, but even at Lo, the fan speed stays the same. Then If I turn the compressor off, and put it only on blower, the fan speed issue corrects itself and I'm able to manually alter the fan speed.

So every half an hour, I have to either switch the compressor off for 10 mins or switch the AC off. When I switch it back, it works fine for a while. Then same issue. Any advice?
Old 6th March 2016, 17:51   #7264
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
The only problem is that the car requires substantial accelerator input and jerks while moving from a standstill.
Jerks clearly indicates either a sticky clutch or jerky release. What is substantial is a matter of personal judgement. When I am driving my sons City or daughter-in-laws Amaze many people may call the accelerator input as substantial (nature of the beasts). Far more than what I needed in their Swift or Santro.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2016, 20:10   #7265
BHPian

Quote:
My car is 9 years old. I do know how to set the AC on auto and change the fan speed manually

The issue I am facing is, on a long drive, the fan speed suddenly drops, and despite cranking it up manually, the fan speed remains the same. There is just very little airflow. It still throws cool air but absolutely no airflow. I tried getting the temperature lower, but even at Lo, the fan speed stays the same. Then If I turn the compressor off, and put it only on blower, the fan speed issue corrects itself and I'm able to manually alter the fan speed.

So every half an hour, I have to either switch the compressor off for 10 mins or switch the AC off. When I switch it back, it works fine for a while. Then same issue. Any advice?

As you have mentioned in this post, your fan speed SUDDENLY drops. Now that is not the ACC which decreases speed very gradually as temp drops. This is kind of sinister and needs a deeper check up. You may benefit from showing it to a competent Ac guy.

Because problems could be tricky here and have various possible reasons like battery or alternator related, Blower motor carbon build-up, blower motor resistance-module malfunction, carbon build up in certain electrical points related to the Ac, earthing related, or the likes. So a thorough look-up would help you find a definite and peace of mind solution. All the best.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 08:39   #7266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Because problems could be tricky here and have various possible reasons like battery or alternator related, Blower motor carbon build-up, blower motor resistance-module malfunction, carbon build up in certain electrical points related to the Ac, earthing related, or the likes. So a thorough look-up would help you find a definite and peace of mind solution. All the best.
I had taken it to my AC guy and everything seems to be fine. Then I stumbled upon this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
Happens to me as well.

When it happened to me first time (described here as well), I took it to a local garage t who diagnosed it to some ice formation inside which blocks the airflow. He just put the heat mode on for 5 minutes and I could see a lot of water flowing under the body of the car. After that AC worked normally.

Happened again recently in October when I was driving down from Mumbai to Goa, just before kolhapur the same issue occurred. Rolled down windows, set the temperature to "High" and full blower speed. And there, after 5 minutes AC was back to normal. Haven't faced it again till now, fingers crossed.
Have followed this and it seems to be okay for now. Will have to check once I go for a long drive this weekend.
Old 7th March 2016, 09:52   #7267
BANNED

@coolkurt; I think you may have got a small warning. Icing is often an indication of low refrigerant, so get that checked out, esp if the airflow is normal.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 19:16   #7268
BHPian

Quote:
Jerks clearly indicates either a sticky clutch or jerky release. What is substantial is a matter of personal judgement. When I am driving my sons City or daughter-in-laws Amaze many people may call the accelerator input as substantial (nature of the beasts). Far more than what I needed in their Swift or Santro.
I would be getting the clutch checked this week. I will keep it posted
Old 7th March 2016, 19:40   #7269
BHPian

Quote:
Have followed this and it seems to be okay for now. Will have to check once I go for a long drive this weekend.
This may be a 'weak' refrigerant or low refrigerant. Ask your AC guy to empty out and refill the gas. I had a similar ice build up issue in my getz and a gas recharging solved it.
WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 10:14   #7270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
This may be a 'weak' refrigerant or low refrigerant. Ask your AC guy to empty out and refill the gas. I had a similar ice build up issue in my getz and a gas recharging solved it.
I had diagnosed it to be the same two months back and had the AC pipe etc replaced as my mechanic felt there was a leak. Even the gas was refilled.
Need to get it checked again. Will revert.
Old 8th March 2016, 12:14   #7271

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post

There is a limit for the skimming(say max of 2 times) after which the rotors would become thin in size and will be ineffective in braking.

The price of new rotors @ Honda A.S.S is around 6000Rs.

Back to Civic Brake spare parts price.
I recently enquired for the same. Here is the quote for the same from them provided through email.
HONDA CIVIC .
>>> Front Brake Pads RS 1650
>>> Rear Brake Pads RS 1650
>>> Front Brake Rotors RS 2800X 2
>>> Front Struts 4800 X 2 + Struts Kits

COURIER FEE RS 80/KG BY AIR.

The prices seems to be reasonable.
Has anybody brought any spare parts from this shop ? How reliable is the shop ?
Dear sushrutha,

Could you please update on more details of the shop that you inquired from, and if they have any online store?

Dear All,

10k-15k KM back I had changed all my brake pads, all ceramic ones, total cost of pads was somewhere around 2k (front and back combined), while the front pads are holding up really well, the rear ones have been eaten up, hardly 3-5mm left on one side, so need to change asap.

Can any one suggest how good are the ALTECH Hi-Performance Brake Pads For Honda Civic - Rear, sold by some ALTECH company on amazon.in, any one ever used them? advise and suggest me some good rear pads and online store as well from whom I can buy, I was almost zeroing in on the amazon.in ALTECH one for now.

Thank you,
amitsatpathy

Last edited by amitsatpathy : 8th March 2016 at 12:31.
Old 8th March 2016, 12:41   #7272
BHPian

Brembo brake pads too are now available in India through their authorized distributor Laxmikant & Co.Industrial , based at Goa. They did have Civic brake pads when I inquired about 2 months ago.
They can be contacted on - spares@laxmikant.co.in, Ph : 08322262524.
WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 14:26   #7273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@coolkurt; I think you may have got a small warning. Icing is often an indication of low refrigerant, so get that checked out, esp if the airflow is normal.
@pixantz, sgiitk

Thanks for all the help. So I went to the AC guy today. He diagnosed it as the evaporator (cooling coil)..that is prone to getting clogged by dirt, lint etc. and can affect air flow and cooling. (The AC pipe had been changed by him 4 months back, with a gas refill.).

While they were opening it up, they found out that it was low on refrigerant as well. The coil turned out to be Kaput.

Replaced it with a new Denso Coil. Total hit: 4500 for coil, 2200 for gas filling and labour.

Have a drive to Sariska lined up this Sunday. Let's see how she performs.
Old 8th March 2016, 15:06   #7274
BHPian

Quote:
@pixantz, sgiitk

Thanks for all the help. So I went to the AC guy today. He diagnosed it as the evaporator (cooling coil)..that is prone to getting clogged by dirt, lint etc. and can affect air flow and cooling. (The AC pipe had been changed by him 4 months back, with a gas refill.).

Replaced it with a new Denso Coil. Total hit: 4500 for coil, 2200 for gas filling and labour.
The Denso Coil costs more than 11k, kindly cross check which coil has been put also cooling coil getting clogged can result in less cooling but can't affect the are flow.
Old 9th March 2016, 00:37   #7275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
The Denso Coil costs more than 11k, kindly cross check which coil has been put also cooling coil getting clogged can result in less cooling but can't affect the are flow.
Denso Coil. Came out of a sealed box from the spares store that I always buy from. The lack of air flow was due to the icing caused by low refrigerant. Low refrigerant owing to the damaged coil.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks