Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2010, 01:33   #151

Dude, guess you've been suckered. I've been reading everything about the linea from the very beginning(from conceptualization to actually buying the car) and let me add that never once have I come across a more screwed up case. Sure small to mid level problems but yours...
Plastics.. aah the plastics. Yup pretty lousy but hey even most of the premium cars here pretty much have the same kind of quality. Them cars might have decent, high quality interiors outside India but here plastics rock. So much so it makes me wonder if the manufacturers use recycled plastic, the environment being an issue. Or on a lighter note, we Indians have a plastic fetish.
Old 23rd March 2010, 09:41   #152
BHPian

Why doubt guys?

Seriously - How many of us have test-driven a *customer* car at Fiat? I for one, had to bear the load on my conscience when I test-drove a *customer* vehicle with every indicator disabled. Its' THIS bad business practice and total lack of ethics is what put me off that day. The lemon in question is likely to have suffered far more at the hands of potential customers and handed off when it could take no more.

Some might say its' the dealership's that are evil and all - but hey devils only board satan's bus.
Old 23rd March 2010, 11:40   #153
BHPian

Is this true?

Well, I am from Ahmedabad and one of the first Linea buyers here. My Linea is now 13 months old and not only myself but all family members are very happy with the car. In fact we always try to find the reason to roam around in Linea. I arranged the Linea owners meet in Ahmedabad which was later sponsored by Aspi people. Curiously waiting for the detail from the original poster, but one thing is sure, we are unable to digest this story.
Old 23rd March 2010, 11:48   #154
BHPian

So many people before have posted that probably no proper PDI was done. That is no argument; the car should be problem free - caveat venditor (responsibility lies with the vendor). And most people do buy cars without doing PDI, and why should they- they are paying good money for the product, they are not supposed to check. If the product is bad, they have a right to complain and raise hell.
Old 23rd March 2010, 12:00   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
And most people do buy cars without doing PDI
This is very true. If I am not mistaken, the buyer needs to sign off on a PDI checklist before taking delivery. I would say an overwhelming majority of customers sign this without checking anything - just one of the many papers they need to sign while buying a new car. I haven't come across any dealers who proactively encourage the customer to check the car.

Several clarifications have been sought - I suggest we wait for McLaren to oblige. Till then, speculation isn't going to add any value.
Old 24th March 2010, 11:09   #156

The idea about the thread was to inform and use this forum for what it is - keeping fellow "enthusiats" in the loop.

My issues are with Fiat, not to prove it to some of you guys, you have a choice to believe it, or not. So, Amogh, this is not a place to post names etc. specially while the issue is open with Fiat, hence I did not.

I have never had to scrutinize a new car as claimed on the replies. Yah CPH, none of the cars I have owned needed this intense PDI - and dude, chill out, may be this is an India thing, but, I have no reason to put down cars that I have not owned, think about it. Besides, this Fiat is not my dream car that I went to get it and be all dramatic about it.

For the seriously inclined:

This is a car the company gave me as part of my employment deal. My personal car is the City and it has no issues.

I appreciate the need for pictures, and, I will post pictures once I have my car back, I have had the car for a very short time, very. The car is too new and is still not registered, that's how new.

As far as the VIN goes, I will get it once the car is back and thanks for the link, I will look it up there.

Yes, it was a stone that got there, which makes little sense as the speeds are so low, there is even a psuedo sump guard ... but, it got there, so, it is what it is. It has taken this long as they dont have parts and since they have gotten the part, they need 2 more days, including testing it for 50 kms! That boggles my mind!

There are fit and finish issues a plenty, today I hear the keys open other Fiats too!

If my driver likes the A/C cooling in the City better - what more can I say about Fiat's claim of having the coolest seats in India?

Conversations are on going with senior folks at the dealership and Fiat.

Also to the seriously inclined, I am still adjusting to being here in India after 20+ years, so, I hope some of you can understand a silly Fiat is least of my worries.

Lastly, those who have had a good experience, great, I am not trying to second guess you guys. A lemon can be delivered anywhere, I happen to get one with issues, that does not take anything away from your rides. Many years ago I too loved my Fiat / Premier. I still miss the deep rough idle the modified cam gave out, pure music. The one I have today, is a badly constructed car and the one thing that blew me away was the wind noise, I feel that speaks for itself!

Last edited by Dippy : 24th March 2010 at 17:40. Reason: Post edited. Watch you tone. Sending you a PM on this.
Old 25th March 2010, 11:22   #157
BHPian

TO:Administrators

Why not create a poll asking users whether they test-drove a "Customer Linea/Punto" or an "Official Test Vehicle"?

I dont think Lemons roll off the factory assembly - they are created in the hands of the transporter / showroom owner. The poll will only go to highlight the damage potential for Linea/Punto.
Old 13th April 2010, 20:23   #158
Senior - BHPian

Had been to KHT motors today to test drive the Linea 1.4.

Sadly this are the small niggling issues I found:

On the Display car, the glove box lock was broken and hence this small string attached to it.
Fiat Linea - Various niggling issues? Post your experiences here.-dsc02098.jpg

On the Test Drive car, the paint on the fuel cap had peeled off!
Fiat Linea - Various niggling issues? Post your experiences here.-dsc02102.jpg
Old 13th April 2010, 21:05   #159
BANNED

I have booked my PUNTO 1.3 EMOTION from KHT. I hope I don't get to see such issues at the time of Delivery. I will be doing my PDI on 20th April and taking delivery the next day.
FCB will be sending a Technical team of 4 members for the PDI process to go on with out any flaws.

Thanks Arun1100 for the pictures.
Old 21st April 2010, 16:30   #160

Unique Problem in Linea

Hi all I have recently got Team BHP membership and this is my first reply/statement on this forum. Moderators I am not sure if this can be called a reply on this thread as its my personal experience after buying Linea. Therefore please see where exactly this message can be fitted in appropriately. Thanks in advance for the same.

I have recently bought a Linea Emotions Pack Diesel model and took its delivery on 15th April from Techno Motors Dwarka. In their overall dealings, Techno Motors have been very good, specially their representative Dinesh Panwar. But first thing that I told him on getting the car was about the noise, to which he replied that this might be due to the new tires. Though I found this logic of reply about new tires completely illogical I did not continue on it. I was very busy through out that week and could only drive it to near by market places and all. On Monday I drove on it to my office which is at a distance of 43 kms from my home and then I came to know about the severity of this issue. At lower speed like 40-50 its a loud enough noise but on 70-80 its like sitting in a plane near engine seats. So much so that my colleagues congratulated me on buying a sedan that also simulates a jet at the same time. Need less I am feeling very bad. I contacted Ravi Bhatia of Fiat and he coordinated with some one from Fiat named Vijay Machale from Mumbai. In turn he introduced me to Northern Region Manager Varun and then I finally got a call from Amit Tyagi, GM Workshop Techno Motors Nazafgarh. In the meanwhile I also showed it to Dinesh who admits that its an issue. Dinesh and myself visited Amit Tyagi in Nazafgarh today who also admits that its an issue and he has asked for two days to gather Fiat, Good Year (Default originally fitted on Linea) and given me assurance that it will be rectified at any cost. I am keeping my fingers crossed but my mood has already bee spoiled with this issue coming up at the very start. Otherwise Power, Ground Clearance and AC which I thought would be issues seems to be working very fine for me with Linea being able to cross over irregular speed breakers which I used to think it would not. AC has been found very effective even in the heat of 45 heat and power is also good with short gears/low rpms. But as of now this noise issue is the one which has spoiled the party which would have gone great.
Old 22nd April 2010, 09:53   #161
BANNED

I suggest you check the tyre pressure .Too high or too low pressure will cause huge noise.
Old 22nd April 2010, 10:17   #162
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by anup_sh View Post
I have recently bought a Linea Emotions Pack Diesel model and took its delivery on 15th April from Techno Motors Dwarka. In their overall dealings, Techno Motors have been very good, specially their representative Dinesh Panwar. But first thing that I told him on getting the car was about the noise, to which he replied that this might be due to the new tires. Though I found this logic of reply about new tires completely illogical I did not continue on it. I was very busy through out that week and could only drive it to near by market places and all. On Monday I drove on it to my office which is at a distance of 43 kms from my home and then I came to know about the severity of this issue. At lower speed like 40-50 its a loud enough noise but on 70-80 its like sitting in a plane near engine seats.
Tyre noise is common in Fiat Linea with Good Year tyres.

Old 22nd April 2010, 10:59   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anup_sh View Post
I have recently bought a Linea Emotions Pack Diesel model and took its delivery on 15th April from Techno Motors Dwarka. In their overall dealings, Techno Motors have been very good, specially their representative Dinesh Panwar. But first thing that I told him on getting the car was about the noise, to which he replied that this might be due to the new tires. Though I found this logic of reply about new tires completely illogical I did not continue on it. I was very busy through out that week and could only drive it to near by market places and all. On Monday I drove on it to my office which is at a distance of 43 kms from my home and then I came to know about the severity of this issue. At lower speed like 40-50 its a loud enough noise but on 70-80 its like sitting in a plane near engine seats. So much so that my colleagues congratulated me on buying a sedan that also simulates a jet at the same time. Need less I am feeling very bad. I contacted Ravi Bhatia of Fiat and he coordinated with some one from Fiat named Vijay Machale from Mumbai. In turn he introduced me to Northern Region Manager Varun and then I finally got a call from Amit Tyagi, GM Workshop Techno Motors Nazafgarh. In the meanwhile I also showed it to Dinesh who admits that its an issue. Dinesh and myself visited Amit Tyagi in Nazafgarh today who also admits that its an issue and he has asked for two days to gather Fiat, Good Year (Default originally fitted on Linea) and given me assurance that it will be rectified at any cost. I am keeping my fingers crossed but my mood has already bee spoiled with this issue coming up at the very start. Otherwise Power, Ground Clearance and AC which I thought would be issues seems to be working very fine for me with Linea being able to cross over irregular speed breakers which I used to think it would not. AC has been found very effective even in the heat of 45 heat and power is also good with short gears/low rpms. But as of now this noise issue is the one which has spoiled the party which would have gone great.
Hi Anup,
I live in Dwarka, New Delhi and own a Linea petrol which has now completed 11k kms. I also bought my car through them and also go for routine service to Techno Auto.

They know about it (ask them, 2 silver Linea wale (me and my friend) from Dwarka and they would recognise as i have had a lot of fights with them).
Am sure they would rectify the issue, sad to see a new car go in for repairs like this but never mind, your beauty would be restored.

Maybe its the issue with Goodyears, they create a boomy noise over uneven roads and they would be replace by Goodyear under warranty as has been done in the past.
If i can be of any more help do PM me.
Regards
Old 22nd April 2010, 11:25   #164
BHPian

@anup_sh : as pointed out by others, your issue is more of a tyre issue than a car issue !! Make sure someone from Goodyear is also present when your car is checked.
I had spoken to a guy from Goodyear (he was present at the Fiat Service Camp in Pune). He did admit that tyre noise was an issue and they were working on rectifying it.
It would be good if you involve Goodyear guys also.
Old 22nd April 2010, 14:19   #165

Hi All,

Thanks to all of you for your time and response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
I suggest you check the tyre pressure .Too high or too low pressure will cause huge noise.
Hi Trust_In_Trust, when I went out for a test ride to identify the issue with Dinesh Panwar and Amit Tyagi, we checked the tyre pressure. It was 39 for all fours. We changed that to 33 (or 34 I don/t remember accurately) as suggested by them. It made absolutely no change to the noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Tyre noise is common in Fiat Linea with Good Year tyres.
Hi Ravi, after seeing comments about Good Year 195 160 15 GT3 on Linea I am aware now that these might have some issue. But I was surprised that Ravi Bhatia from Fiat is not aware and it shows that they are not in touch with ground realities or end user feed backs. And if contrary to my point Fiat India is aware then why can not they put some good quality tires such as Bridgestone or for that matter Apollo Accelear to remove this issue. Saving few bucks for a car of 9 lakhs leaves very bad impression of the company itself. In either case its too big an issue to be ignored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Hi Anup,
I live in Dwarka, New Delhi and own a Linea petrol which has now completed 11k kms. I also bought my car through them and also go for routine service to Techno Auto.

They know about it (ask them, 2 silver Linea wale (me and my friend) from Dwarka and they would recognise as i have had a lot of fights with them).
Am sure they would rectify the issue, sad to see a new car go in for repairs like this but never mind, your beauty would be restored.

Maybe its the issue with Goodyears, they create a boomy noise over uneven roads and they would be replace by Goodyear under warranty as has been done in the past.
If i can be of any more help do PM me.
Regards
Hi coolboy007 thanks for your suggestion and support. I will definitely be requiring more of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
@anup_sh : as pointed out by others, your issue is more of a tyre issue than a car issue !! Make sure someone from Goodyear is also present when your car is checked.
I had spoken to a guy from Goodyear (he was present at the Fiat Service Camp in Pune). He did admit that tyre noise was an issue and they were working on rectifying it.
It would be good if you involve Goodyear guys also.
Hi amoghchaphalkar, Amit Tyagi has asked for 2 days specifically to gather representatives from both Good Year and Fiat. I hope they find a solution to it.

On another front some one also pointed that it might be an issue with car bearing as well. If is is that then I will definitely feel duped and will escalate it to whatever level I can. At this time as I earlier mentioned that I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Most Viewed