Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2012, 17:24   #286
BHPian

re: Fiat Linea - Various niggling issues? Post your experiences here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash View Post
I finally got the timing chain and elastic pads changed. Fiat didnt charge me for elastic pad and changed it as 'Goodwill' written on the bill. Also timing chain was replaced free of cost. TSC carried out other few regular service procedures and replaced fuel fiter, oil filter, etc. Thankfully engine oil was not changed as i had my periodic yearly service done in March itself. Still i had to pay some Rs.9600 which included parts and labour charges, and one more part. Lower arm left was replaced as I had asked to check few suspension noise. After making the payment, taking the delivery and driving just few hundred metres I could hear some noise coming from front right suspension side. Now the problem is that this noise is there in my linea since delivery and till now no one could ever figure out what the problem is. My linea was kept at fortune for over a week, BCMA motors for few days and is now at worli centre for another 5 days (collectively). So for this particular noise I had to rush back to TCS after 2-3 days of collecting the car.
So i have asked them to check for that particular noise from the front right side (which i am sure they will never be able to find it out) and second for the hard gear shifting problem.
For the gear shifting problem I have been told that they will first try to resolve the issue by lubricating the clutch cable and if that doesnt work than will have to go for complete change of clutch assembly which will cost me 10-12k. Checked the extended warranty booklet (as my linea is now 3+ years) and in the section 'Parts covered' under 'Transmission' it says 'Internal gears, shafts, synchromesh rings and hub, bushes, selector forks, gear lever, Bearing and bushes (failure due to worn or burn out clutches are not covered)'. So now here is the confusion. Will the problem of hard shifting of gears come under extended warranty or in 'worn and torn' and will not be covered and me being asked to pay ???
It shouldn't cost you 10-12 k unless linea's clutch assembly is different from the one used on the Punto. In my case, it set me back by 8k.
If it's just the cable that needs lubrication then you'll probably need to pay nothing or 'labour' at max. I do not expect the clutch assembly to have gone bad at 35k unless you've been misusing the clutch.
If the clutch is 'worn or burn(ed) out' then you're going to have to pay for it, if there's some other problem then you can push for extended warranty.

A second opinion might not be a bad idea here.
sukrit7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 18:17   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
It shouldn't cost you 10-12 k unless linea's clutch assembly is different from the one used on the Punto. In my case, it set me back by 8k.
If it's just the cable that needs lubrication then you'll probably need to pay nothing or 'labour' at max. I do not expect the clutch assembly to have gone bad at 35k unless you've been misusing the clutch.
If the clutch is 'worn or burn(ed) out' then you're going to have to pay for it, if there's some other problem then you can push for extended warranty.

A second opinion might not be a bad idea here.
It could be 8k, not sure about this.
And that is what the confusion is. Who is going to decide if the clutch is worn or burned. I dont trust these service guys frankly, so who is going to convince the extended warranty company?
Old 10th May 2012, 18:32   #288
BHPian

Just spoke to the service advisor at Tata worli. Today is the third day and they still could not figure out the noise which comes from the front right side when car hits the pot hole or even a bad joint on the road.
Can anyone try to figure out what the problem could be?
When my linea is in speed above 25 kmph and it hits a bad joint or a pothole there is a reverse hit on the car. It feels some part hitting the vehicle back which produces khad kahd (once or two times) sound. Various dealers have tried solving this problem and for this particular problem my linea has now stayed for almost 20 days collectively in different service centres. If any team bhpian staying in Mumbai would want to check for himself I am ready to get my car and show it to him/her
Old 11th May 2012, 12:07   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Thanks a lot for this input Sunil, back to Concorde tomorrow!

Its also possible that they pressure-washed the car with doors open and it might have resulted in water collecting inside the car, but I will definitely check if any gro-mat / sticker is missing - better be safe than sorry.
A couple of weeks back when I washed my car myself I too noticed both front side floor carpet wet,more on L side.Till I came across your posts here, I was of the opinion that I had accidentally spilled some water through the closed doors with heavy pressure.I never bothered to check again thinking that it will dry itself in few days time.
But now after reading your posts I'm really concerned about my car which is about 10 weeks old.There was not that much water just it was soggy on both side,more on L side.And I checked it again today,the condition is same on L side but its dry on R side this time though.Worse I am not like you who can check it thoroughly and make the diagnosis at home.

Another interesting thing is that I took my car to service center few weeks back for a sound coming from front which was resolved but today when I was checking the carpet again before writing this post I found few things which are probably left by service center guy after removing these from my car which are a sponge,a metal screw, a white plastic gromat like thing and a black screw type.Right now I cant post the pics,will do it later.

Is it due to removal of these by service center guy or this problem is only in 2012 batch as I never heard this previous Fiat cars?
@Autocrat-:What was your solution to your car's problem and is it successful?Can I do it at home or by some local decent roadside mechanic as I will again have to travel 70-80km to get it checked?

@Prash:- My linea had no so different problem from yours.Service guy told me that few 'suspension screws' were which were tightened and issue was resolved within 20-30min.I'm sorry that I don't know more than that.

Last edited by rsjaurr : 11th May 2012 at 12:12.
Old 11th May 2012, 14:24   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr

@Autocrat-:What was your solution to your car's problem and is it successful?Can I do it at home or by some local decent roadside mechanic as I will again have to travel 70-80km to get it checked?

@Prash:- My linea had no so different problem from yours.Service guy told me that few 'suspension screws' were which were tightened and issue was resolved within 20-30min.I'm sorry that I don't know more than that.
Rsjaurr,

Yes my issue was resolved at concorde motors, mysore road.

The problem was a clogged condensation drain pipe. The drain pipe is fitted with rubber adhesive and the problem happened as the adhesive had run down the pipe and blocked the exit.

After cleaning and refitting the pipe the problem is solved.

Check the car floor for water accumulation from the chassis number window. If its wet, you need to get the insulation under the carpet dried by removing it.

Run the car AC at full cooling and full fan. You must see drops of water falling to the floor under the car. If water is not dripping, the pipe is blocked. Better to get the job done at TASC after opening a job card.
Old 13th June 2012, 23:09   #291
Senior - BHPian

Service counter reads at 14XX kms,but i havent noticed any reminder or pop up message in MID?.I had the engine oil changed once after last service,i am pretty sure,it has nothing to do with this setting.
Old 14th June 2012, 21:30   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Service counter reads at 14XX kms,but i havent noticed any reminder or pop up message in MID?.I had the engine oil changed once after last service,i am pretty sure,it has nothing to do with this setting.
Check if the service center reset the service interval then. You can check this yourself on the MID by using the buttons on the panel right next to the steering.
Old 15th June 2012, 00:09   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
Check if the service center reset the service interval then. You can check this yourself on the MID by using the buttons on the panel right next to the steering.
by interval,you mean the counter,right?
it was set to 15000 at service and now it reads 13XX kms,but i havent noticed any prompts in MID.
Old 15th June 2012, 14:09   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
by interval,you mean the counter,right?
it was set to 15000 at service and now it reads 13XX kms,but i havent noticed any prompts in MID.
Yes I meant the counter! You probably missed the popup - it comes for a very brief while at startup. But when you are down to the last few hundred kms, the frequency of the pop-up message will increase and later on a symbol showing a wrench will be placed right next to the odo reading on the MID.

I don't exactly remember the frequencies when all this would happen since I have not encountered the same in my car for the past two years. Thats because I service my Punto every 10k kms (ever since the 30k service) much before any such messages are due to appear.

PS: Check this post on the Punto TD thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2801149

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbhaskarm View Post
The AC of my 2009 Linea MJD conked off. On investigation at the TASS, it found found that the compressor had gone kaput. Thankfully the car is still under extended warranty. Hope to get it back with AC working & cooling in a few days.
Which dealer are you getting the work done at? Oberoi Motors? Asking because HIM refused extended warranty to a friend for the same issue in a 2010 Punto. He has grounded the car since as the charges are in excess of 30k.

Last edited by nkapoor777 : 15th June 2012 at 14:31. Reason: Adding info
Old 15th June 2012, 14:23   #295
BHPian

The AC of my 2009 Linea MJD conked off. On investigation at the TASS, it found found that the compressor had gone kaput. Thankfully the car is still under extended warranty. Hope to get it back with AC working & cooling in a few days.
Old 29th June 2012, 00:16   #296

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbhaskarm
The AC of my linea is also going down. The cooling has reduced considerably and there are droplets seen near the vents. Any reasons? Anyone
Old 27th September 2012, 13:22   #297
BHPian

If the concern is availability of spares, then irrespective of car brand/company, the problem remains same for all cars which are low on sales.

Kizashi, Sonata, Aria, Optra Mangum, New Fiesta, Linea, Rio, Force1 etc - all would be facing spares availability issue due to lower volume of sales, isn’t it?

I guess these car owners also would be waiting for weeks/months for major spares. Why in that case only FIAT cars are made to look like spares keeps owners waiting longer?

Let me know if I am missing something here.
hummer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 04:25   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer
If the concern is availability of spares, then irrespective of car brand/company, the problem remains same for all cars which are low on sales.

Kizashi, Sonata, Aria, Optra Mangum, New Fiesta, Linea, Rio, Force1 etc - all would be facing spares availability issue due to lower volume of sales, isn’t it?

I guess these car owners also would be waiting for weeks/months for major spares. Why in that case only FIAT cars are made to look like spares keeps owners waiting longer?

Let me know if I am missing something here.
What you are missing is ..all other cars are A particular low-selling model from few car manufacturers. FIAT has had a spares issue as a brand in India (atleast perceived so) with all their models they have ever launched in India.
Old 28th September 2012, 10:01   #299
BHPian

Hi friends,

My linea has touched 52500 Kms as of now. Scheduling to get the timing kit/chain replaced @ 55000 Kms during the next service. I am attaching the service history of the car. All the services has been done at KHT motors Bangalore under the Supervision of Velu (Godsend angel for FIAT service).

Now since i have a huge 2200 Kms trip coming up and the next service is still 2500 Kms away, should i keep a look out of anything? Clutch still seems fine. Service advisor say the timing kit is also fine.

(PS: is it okay to maintain extended highway journeys at speeds of 130-140 Kph? the rpm reads 3300-3500 at these speeds, and i always start slowing down to 100-110 Kph. Will it be harmful for the 1.3 Mjd if the rpm would be maintained between 3200-3500 Rpm for about 500-600 Kms)
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Service Details.xlsx (12.4 KB, 498 views)
Old 28th September 2012, 10:16   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octy9833 View Post
(PS: is it okay to maintain extended highway journeys at speeds of 130-140 Kph? the rpm reads 3300-3500 at these speeds, and i always start slowing down to 100-110 Kph. Will it be harmful for the 1.3 Mjd if the rpm would be maintained between 3200-3500 Rpm for about 500-600 Kms)
Nothing to worry about the RPM mate, you can drive constantly at those revs.
Also, timing belt has been advised to be changed at 60K moreover the service adviser is sure that its working fine then no worries.

When the timing belt issue comes up, you shall hear a rubbery kind of noise from the engine as soon as you start it up.

If you dont hear anything - you are good to go.
scofield is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks