Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2012, 11:32   #331
BHPian

re: Fiat Linea - Various niggling issues? Post your experiences here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
This has got to do with the Combination switch not working as it should. Please visit your TASS and get the combination switch replaced. It should be covered under warranty.

The 2012 Linea are prone to irritating rattle from the doors. Simply tape up the wires leading to the power window switches and the rattles should go away.

I will have to check if the combination switch is covered in Extended warranty or not.

Mine is 2010 Linea, after first servicing the doors have been rattling always. Every time I complain about it and it is sorted out and after a month the rattling noise surfaces again. I think the wires are not the culprit but the door latch link rods and mechanism may cause rattling.
Old 17th December 2012, 11:46   #332
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitss View Post
I will have to check if the combination switch is covered in Extended warranty or not.

Mine is 2010 Linea, after first servicing the doors have been rattling always. Every time I complain about it and it is sorted out and after a month the rattling noise surfaces again. I think the wires are not the culprit but the door latch link rods and mechanism may cause rattling.
Hope the combination switch is covered under extended warranty.

I had opened up all the door panels to get hold of this rattling. The other metal parts/link rods are perfectly held in place. I did tape up the wires and then the sound has disappeared.

Anyways will be upgrading the audio and will be dampening the doors, so the rattle issue should be sorted for ever. Not that it is rattlling now after the jugad fix i have done.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2012, 11:52   #333
BHPian

Hi, I have faced a vert strange issue yesterday in my 2012 Linea.

While driving , just 2 kms from home, found some wobbling , stopped and foiund that a wooden block with nail is stuck on te side wall of rear tyre RHS.

** Pls note , its the First punture in the car after purchase in Mar 2012. **

Pulled out the nail ..it was lossing air quite fast with a hiss noise.

immediately parked on side, then went to lossen the nuts.

Got a shock of my life ...the wheel spanner provided in the tool box has size is 1-2 sizes higher than the nuts , slipping fully.

Could not do anything , but to move on with the puntured tyre to the nearest punture shoop , which is approx 3 kms from this spot.

Finally the punture guy took a approroate size and changed the wheel with a spare one.

NOW, the question is : How can this happen with cars ? What about the quality checks? Its too dangerous ...i drove Pune-Bangy and back in Diwali, fortunately it did not happen during that trip, it would have been disastrous in middle of highway where you are unable to change wheels.

** Spoke to dealer , as usual he was not sure how this happened. May be, he said :-) the wheel nut size is reduced in 2012 linea/Punto as part of cost cutting. He was although not much willing to commit on replacement.

Guys, I need to know from the existing 2012 Linea owners the following:

- The provided wheel spanner is fitting the nuts correctly, no slipping.
- Even the spanners [ these are smae size] I checked from santro/ Indica are not fitting the Linea wheel nuts.
- Indicates that the Linea wheel nuts are definitely of smaller and Non-standard size.

Pls also kindly suggest how I should approach Fiat and even get a replacement tyre which got a bid damage since I had to drive extra for this reason with a puntured tyre.
Old 17th December 2012, 12:06   #334
BHPian

Quote:
The 2012 Linea are prone to irritating rattle from the doors. Simply tape up the wires leading to the power window switches and the rattles should go away.
Sir do I have to open the door pads for this?
Old 17th December 2012, 12:13   #335
BHPian

For the past 2-3 days, I have noticed some squealing from under the hood of my Linea. This happens immediately upon cold startup and dies down as the engine get up to temperature. After that, the car is absolutely smooth and noiseless. After some checking and investigation, my sense is that it is the fan belt. Spoke to my regular SA at the service center to report this and he says "nothing unusual". Any thoughts?

Last edited by Omtoatom : 17th December 2012 at 12:42.
Old 17th December 2012, 12:36   #336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
Guys, I need to know from the existing 2012 Linea owners the following:

- The provided wheel spanner is fitting the nuts correctly, no slipping.
- Even the spanners [ these are same size] I checked from santro/ Indica are not fitting the Linea wheel nuts.
- Indicates that the Linea wheel nuts are definitely of smaller and Non-standard size.

Pls also kindly suggest how I should approach Fiat and even get a replacement tyre which got a bid damage since I had to drive extra for this reason with a puntured tyre.
Sorry to hear you ordeal with the puncture. However, as a standby, I generally would prefer to have a few spanners/bits as standby in the car. Just to ensure that atleast something comes handy in a tricky situation.

The size that was followed as 17mm as far as I can remember. I will check and confirm today evening.

I am not too sure, if FIAT will be able to replace the tyre. Its mostly the dealer who is the culrpit. They might have put the wrong spanner size in your car during the PDI. Get in touch with somebody higher in the dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Sir do I have to open the door pads for this?
Except for the right front door, you dont need to open any other door panels to do this. I will show it to you the next time we meet. All we need is a flat screwdriver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post
For the past 2-3 days, I have noticed squealing sound from under the hood of my Linea. This happens immediately upon cold startup and dies down as the engine get up to temperature. After that, the car is absolutely smooth and noiseless. After some checking and investigation, my sense is that it is the fan belt. Spoke to my regular SA at the service center to report this and he says "nothing unusual". Any thoughts?
How old is your car. This belt noise should not come in the new cars. If your car is older than 1.5 years, the chances of these noise are there. However, do check and confirm with the SA regarding the noise is due to the hardened belts. If yes, I suggest get them changed for the piece of mind sake.

Last edited by nkrishnap : 17th December 2012 at 12:53.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2012, 12:51   #337
BHPian

Quote:
How old is your car. This belt noise should not come in the new cars. If your car is older than 1.5 years, the chances of these noise are there. However, do check and confirm with the SA regarding the noise is due to the hardened belts. If yes, I suggest get them changed for the piece of mind sake.
Thanks mate.

The car is a shade under three and a half years old. So wasn't under any illusions whatsoever. However IIRC, the belt was replaced during my last service and hasn't done more than 2K KM since. So the fan belt shouldn't be squealing. Which is probably why the SA, who knows the car inside out and is well aware of the service history keeps insisting that there's no problem! I intend to get it checked out anyway.

Last edited by Omtoatom : 17th December 2012 at 12:53.
Old 17th December 2012, 13:04   #338
BHPian

Quote:
The size that was followed as 17mm as far as I can remember. I will check and confirm today evening.

I am not too sure, if FIAT will be able to replace the tyre. Its mostly the dealer who is the culrpit. They might have put the wrong spanner size in your car during the PDI. Get in touch with somebody higher in the dealership.

Thanks mate. Will wait for your confirmation.

Also, it will be good if you can take the photo of the supplied spanner in yuor 2012 linea, so that in case of any dealer foul play , I can refer to that spanner photo.
Old 17th December 2012, 13:23   #339
BHPian

Facing couple of irritating problems (detailed below) with Media Player. Every time I turn the ignition on,

Problem 1 - the Media Player starts playing music from USB stick by default

Is there a way to turn off this behaviour of media player where it turns on by default?

Problem 2 - irritatingly it always plays the very first track in the USB stick (instead of where it was left). Me and family have kinda of got sick hearing same track everytime ignition is turned on. Everytime we have to manually pause media player or power off or change folders.

Surprisingly the media player doesn't start from where it left. Wondering if this is only with my Linea or happenening with others as well?

If No, would like to know if there is a solution or a work around available.
Old 17th December 2012, 13:40   #340
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Also, it will be good if you can take the photo of the supplied spanner in yuor 2012 linea, so that in case of any dealer foul play , I can refer to that spanner photo.
Sure. I will take a picture and post it for you. This can come handy when you take it up with your dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocop View Post
Facing couple of irritating problems (detailed below) with Media Player. Every time I turn the ignition on,

Is there a way to turn off this behaviour of media player where it turns on by default?

Problem 2 - irritatingly it always plays the very first track in the USB stick (instead of where it was left). Me and family have kinda of got sick hearing same track everytime ignition is turned on. Everytime we have to manually pause media player or power off or change folders.

Surprisingly the media player doesn't start from where it left. Wondering if this is only with my Linea or happenening with others as well?

If No, would like to know if there is a solution or a work around available.
I too face this problem. Even when the music player is swtiched off previously when the engine was running. A restart is sufficient to start the music system and the CD in it plays. Also, the pen drive that I used first is the only pen drive that gets detected by the USB unit. Any other device, I get USB 10 error.

Anyways to get rid of this.
Old 17th December 2012, 14:03   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitss View Post
The right turn indicator does not get off automatically even when the steering wheel is steered back to normal straight driving position after completing a right turn. I have to turn it off manually. The left side is working fine.
Has anyone faced this issue?
This is definitely an issue with left combination switch.
I too had similar problem on my linea. The trip switch on right side combination switch was not working. It was replaced under warranty.
Old 17th December 2012, 14:16   #342
BHPian

Quote:

To avoid starting of music player on switching the ignition on, you have to pull the USB out and turn of the music player before switching off the engine. The music system turns on by default if the USB drive is not removed from socket before switching on the ignition.
I have found this on my punto which is Emotion Pk. There is no such issue on my linea as its Emotion version without Blue & Me.

Mods please merge this post with earlier one if required.

Last edited by Arkesh : 17th December 2012 at 14:17.
Old 17th December 2012, 15:17   #343
BHPian

Thanks Arkesh,

Effectively you are suggesting, one has to pull the USB out if he/she doesn't want to listen to music and plug it back to listen music from USB. The only issue with this solution is, USB slot in linea is hidden deep inside glove box, which means, plugging USB stick is a task in itself and takes sometime/effort.

Wish Fiat had provided an option in "Blue&Me Menu" or "My Car Menu" to better control Media Player behaviour, or,
may be it is one of those hidden features from Fiat left for customers to discover.

Will highly appreciate further inputs/discoveries from fellow members on this subject .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkesh View Post
To avoid starting of music player on switching the ignition on, you have to pull the USB out and turn of the music player before switching off the engine. The music system turns on by default if the USB drive is not removed from socket before switching on the ignition.
I have found this on my punto which is Emotion Pk. There is no such issue on my linea as its Emotion version without Blue & Me.

Mods please merge this post with earlier one if required.
Autocop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2012, 16:25   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Regarding your first issue, I think the Blue & Me is designed to detect the presence of a USB device every time the system starts afresh. So, nothing can be done about it. But, many a times, it has also happened with me that if I switch off the stereo & was last listening to Radio/CD, it would play the same on starting the car again & not search for USB. May be, the system is clock based & refreshes after a certain time. The only solution is to manually change the source to Radio or CD, which you have already been doing.

Regarding your second issue, in my car, it takes up from the last playing track & not goes to play from the first track every time the system is switched on. I would suggest try toggling between the 'Loop' setting of the system. You can change it to on/off by using voice commands. It might work.
Old 17th December 2012, 18:28   #345
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Here we go with the picture of the spanner that was supplied with the jack kit.

Fiat Linea - Various niggling issues? Post your experiences here.-spanner.jpg

The spanner is marked with 17mm size. However, you need to really push the spanner in the slot where the bolts are mounted to ensure it does not slip.

I am going to throw away this one and get a better one to use in case I need to remove the wheel from the car.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks