Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2022, 09:30   #181
BHPian

Re: How harmful is extra Engine Oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeng View Post
Whilst there is a basis suggesting reciprocating engine is not designed for overfill, or exceeding MAX level by 0.5 cm in this context, anecdotal evidence suggests such 'overfill' would NOT cause engine crankshaft hitting lubricating leading to oil foaming > oil temperature rise > eventual failure.

The said mechanic probably has his own anedoctal evidence and experience for his position, IDK.

My Avanza is an example in hand too.

I would love to be referred to a link on the internet that exceeding MAX level by 0.5 cm on a dipstick passenger car/industrial engines has led to big engine failure directly attributing to non-compliant oil level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
The owners manual that came with the car is sacrosanct because it is credible.

If you want to believe the anecdotal claim by a mechanic over the specifications stated in the owners manual (which is drafted by the engineers of the company that makes the engine for millions of their cars), then my only request is that you disclaim that you're taking the calculated risk out of your own understanding.

Fair enough ?
Let's agree to disagree, you have a point in sticking to owners manual literally.

Quote:
Agree with the mechanic's opinion on 0.5 cm exceeding MAX as being fine.

Yesterday my mechanic emptied a 4L pack Mobil 1 0W40 into the Avanza as usual, whose rated oil capacity is 3.5L .

I've no qualms about it.
Incidentally, yesterday a check on Avanza dipstick after filling in 4L of Mobil 1 indicates its MAX level is being exceeded by about 1.2 cm or 12 mm.

As said before, I'm not worried yet and I would not draw-out the 'extras' other than monitor for:
a ) loss of engine power or pickup, if perceptible;
b ) check dipstick for signs of engine oil foaming immediate after engine shut down from time to time, and
c ) To look out for engine oil colour getting pinkish initially, then brownish and gradually greyish during the first 1000 km usage duration, for signs of engine cranks hitting 'improper' oil level generating unwanted/undesirable oil temperature rise.

Last edited by zeng : 11th January 2022 at 09:32.
Old 11th January 2022, 09:58   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Incidentally, yesterday a check on Avanza dipstick after filling in 4L of Mobil 1 indicates its MAX level is being exceeded by about 1.2 cm or 12 mm.

As said before, I'm not worried yet and I would not draw-out the 'extras' other than monitor for:
Draining the extra oil definately won't harm your engine.

And why allow extra oil in the first place and then look for the symptoms of damage? The damage would have already started by the time you notice the symptoms.

So I would suggest you not to take chance.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 09:34   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Draining the extra oil definately won't harm your engine.

And why allow extra oil in the first place and then look for the symptoms of damage? The damage would have already started by the time you notice the symptoms.

So I would suggest you not to take chance.

Sure, draining has been suggested and I have no issue with that.

I'm not advocating adding extra engine oil exceeding MAX level as a good habit to practise but merely in direct response to @iBokehlicious seeking opinions/advice on how to deal with a defacto 'engine oil overfill' situation.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post5230370 (How harmful is extra Engine Oil?)

Further suggestion on ways and means of checking/establishing/looking out for potential ill effects of 'undesirable engine oil overfill' was proposed for the benefits of poster (or other readers), should one gets into this to-be-avoided scenario of 'overfill' situation which is NOT uncommon in real life.

Just my 2 cents.
zeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 15:18   #184
BHPian

Nice experiment, overfilling will not lead to any catastrophic engine damage, however,let us know how long the crank oil seals last!
Old 28th May 2022, 22:19   #185

I misjudged the oil level on my bike and added around 400ml of extra oil. Is this okay or should I drain it? The clutch has started to slip. Is it because of the excess oil or my improper riding style? I clocked around 500kms after adding the oil. Can my bike be saved or has the damage been done? The sad part is its a new bike.....has only 1020kms on the odo....first service was done at 515kms
Old 28th May 2022, 23:24   #186
Senior - BHPian

^^ Clutch is anyway in an oil bath, it can't slip unless you had added a wrong oil. Such as car engine oil. Check the level in the dipstick when the engine is cold and see how much above the upper mark it shows. Then loosen the drain nut partially and allow part of the oil to run off, then tighten the nut and recheck your oil level. The bike should ride ok after this.

What bike is it and what oil did you fill?
Old 29th May 2022, 06:16   #187

@Gansan I filled Motul 20w50 semi synthetic oil. The bike is NS200
Old 30th April 2023, 22:16   #188
BHPian

Reviving this thread for an oil overfill query.

My car has a sump of 3.1 L.
I took a 3.5L can to the FNG and was standing beside them when the oil change was done.

Till ~3.25 L mark, there was some 2 mm left to reach the max mark. The mechanic poured the whole content of the can thereafter and the dipstick was showing ~2 mm above the mark.

Today morning, when I checked on cold engine, it is somewhat more (image attached).

Visually, it is not that much, but if we calculate on paper, it is 400 ml more than the recommended quantity, which is ~13% extra.

What to do now? I am inclined to leave it like that.
Attached Thumbnails
How harmful is extra Engine Oil?-img_41172.png  

Old 30th April 2023, 23:25   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post

I took a 3.5L can to the FNG and was standing beside them when the oil change was done.

Till ~3.25 L mark, there was some 2 mm left to reach the max mark. The mechanic poured the whole content of the can thereafter and the dipstick was showing ~2 mm above the mark.

Looking at the dipstick it seems like it is a Suzuki engine? As for the amount, my Wagonr always showed similar level of oil as on your Dipstick till the time it was serviced from MASS. Till now, I haven't faced any problems as such. But to be on the safer side, you might wanna drain some oil.
abhi9044 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 05:12   #190
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
it is not that much, but if we calculate on paper, it is 400 ml more than the recommended quantity, which is ~13% extra.
Over-filling oil is as dangerous as under-filling it and causing oil starvation is. You have apparently over-filled nearly half a litre. This is above the slightly comfortable tolerance limits set by most normal standard performance vehicle engines. (On high performance sports car engines the tolerances will be far tighter.) You were able to fill say 200ml or so extra in your normal car, because the oil filter also takes in some little oil and gets filled and coated - maybe 150 to 200ml.

From what I have read, overfilling causes the following.
1. Creation of foam because of crankshaft action, which reduces the oil’s inherent ability to lubricate the components.
2. Unnecessary pressure on seals and gaskets leading to failure.
3. Eventual engine failure.
I suggest that you have the car raised on the 2 post and open the drain plug and remove around 250ml of oil. The small excess of 100ml or 150ml is not going to cause chaos, as a bigger excess of 400ml likely will.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 1st May 2023 at 05:16.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 06:19   #191
BHPian

Quote:

Today morning, when I checked on cold engine, it is somewhat more (image attached).

Visually, it is not that much, but if we calculate on paper, it is 400 ml more than the recommended quantity, which is ~13% extra.

I'm inclined to believe it should be fine.

For those who are concerned, monitor and check for oil foaming phenomenon on the dipstick/ tube after a drive which is unlikely in this context IME.
zeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 21:19   #192
BHPian

Got ~250 ml oil removed at the FNG. The oil is exactly on the upper mark now.

With extra oil, there was no froth observed after an hour of driving, however, there was no peace of mind.
Old 12th May 2023, 11:20   #193

Car : Kia.

Model : Carens 1.4 Turbo Petrol.

Engine Oil tank capacity : 4.2 liter.

Recently I got my Kia Carens 1.4 turbo petrol first full service done with engine oil and oil filter changed. Have driven for 150 km after full service.

Casually, I checked the engine oil today morning and found the oil level on dip is above full mark (picture attached). Oil level is measured on overnight cold engine. Prior to full service, oil level on dipstick was at Full mark.

Requesting fellow BHPian member to guide me in this matter.
Attached Thumbnails
How harmful is extra Engine Oil?-img1-copy.jpg  

Old 13th May 2023, 16:50   #194
BHPian

My hunch is it is harmless.

Look out for foams with dipstick immdediately after engine shutdown as a caution, otherwide I see no problem with this.
Old 13th May 2023, 18:41   #195
BHPian

Most FNGs and regular A.S.S overfill engine oil when measuring exact amounts is a task of its own. Say, if refill only needs 3.2 ltrs but there are only 3 ltr cans and 1/2 ltr cans available, then the mechanics just pour everything in . Their logic is that a little bit of extra is no harm as opposed to low oil scenario.

However, some owners manuals suggest that excessive oil can cause extra pressure on seals, reduced performance etc. But 'how much' is too much is not mentioned anywhere.

For those cars which have odd refill requirements, this is always a problem in every oil change. So, for peace of mind, carry a measuring jar during oil change and pour in exactly the required amount of oil.
If already excess oil is filled in, and you are loosing peace, just drive to an FNG and get the excess oil removed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks