Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2013, 18:12   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How harmful is extra Engine Oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Hi Folks,

During my 3rd free service a couple of months back for my Alto K10 Vxi, the SA at the MASS convinced me to put the entire contents of a 3 Litre Shell Helix 5W30 can (that I carried) into the engine even though the oil spec is 2.9 l as per the manual. He gave me some explanation about how 2.9 is without the oil filter and how if its a 'bigger' filter than more than 3 l is required I asked him again and again and he had this smug 'I do this for a living ' smirk pasted across his face.

Hey hothatchaway,

No problem with that. A tad above the max mark would not hurt at all. What I know about the Zen is that the right quantity is 3.3 ltrs, but I have always been using 3.5 Ltrs. Also, it is correct that oil filter change will require about 100 ml of extra oil as some oil is always collected in the filter rather than the sump.
But to answer your question, be assured that it won't cause any damage to your car.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 21:12   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
All this is speculation, until we know what the manual says.
The manual says 2.75 litres as the sump capacity. The filter may take in ~ 150 ml. So we take a 3 litre pack and pour it in since it is convenient. Provided the old oil is drained properly, this shows a slight overfill in a cold engine.

MSM guys say this is ok and not an issue. If we allow them to fill their own MGO though, they measure out 2.9 litres.
Old 6th December 2013, 15:45   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
I bought a Ryles tube from a chemist along with a 20 ml syringe.
Cut of 4-5 " from end of the ryles tube as it has 3/4 perforations on the side wall.
I got a tube as well and a 20 ml syringe. If you get a syringe which is 50 ml or bigger then it would be much easier since you have to do many passes. Also, I needed to cut the tube from only one side since the other had an attachment to attach the syringe.

Please note that you won't be able to use the syringe the next time you need to pull out oil since the oil makes it lose the vacuum.
heysac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 16:59   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heysac View Post
Please note that you won't be able to use the syringe the next time you need to pull out oil since the oil makes it lose the vacuum.
Not if you wash the syringe out thoroughly with detergent and rinse it out thereafter.
Old 7th December 2013, 13:11   #140
BHPian

Here is the link with all the details for people interested in researching more:
http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible_pg2.html

I am posting this link because it is really hard to find by going to the main page. When I went to the main site, I couldn;t locate it and thought it has been removed.
Old 26th June 2015, 10:37   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally took out about 250 -300 ml. Careful in handling as the oil is very messy if it falls. PS I had a person helping me hold the soda bottle.
Just one clarification. Do we have to remove the syringe from the tube every time to fill the bottle, or will the tube act as a siphon after we remove the syringe?
Old 26th June 2015, 21:05   #142
BHPian

Hi guys,

The dipstick of my linea MJD has traces of oil above the max level after last oil change at FASS. Sorry for the ultra low quality mobile pics.
Attached Thumbnails
How harmful is extra Engine Oil?-photo1898.jpg  

How harmful is extra Engine Oil?-photo1899.jpg  

Last edited by Umesh Kumar61 : 26th June 2015 at 21:06. Reason: Typo
Old 26th June 2015, 21:46   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umesh Kumar61 View Post
Hi guys,

The dipstick of my linea MJD has traces of oil above the max level after last oil change at FASS. Sorry for the ultra low quality mobile pics.
That is like 100-150ml extra.
Wont do much harm. Post clear pictures if you can.
Old 29th June 2015, 14:37   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Just one clarification. Do we have to remove the syringe from the tube every time to fill the bottle, or will the tube act as a siphon after we remove the syringe?
Yes you have to remove the syringe from the tube, unless it is long enough to go below the level of the engine oil for the siphon effect to take over.
Old 29th June 2015, 16:39   #145
Team-BHP Support

Any surgical supplies store can sell you a Glycerin syringe (usually 80-100 ml size), they can also provide transparent plastic tubing to fit the nozzle.
Avoids the hassles of repeated cycles with small syringes. I believe I have one of these in my toolkit. Will try to post a pic later.

Procedure: Attach clear plastic tube to syringe, insert via dip-stick inlet, fill up the syringe slowly (take care not to pump the syringe in this state to avoid frothing up oil in the sump), remove tube from dip-stick inlet (or detach syringe from tube, whichever is preferable), empty into a container (preferably a pre-cleaned bottle of some sort), repeat as necessary.

Use gloves and a wipe for any spilled oil, and dispose of the removed oil carefully (I handover to a Service Center for safe disposal).

P.S. As to how much extra oil is really (un)safe, most experienced folks will opine 2-5% (of/over stated engine oil capacity) is practically OK.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th June 2015 at 16:57.
Old 30th June 2015, 07:19   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes you have to remove the syringe from the tube, unless it is long enough to go below the level of the engine oil for the siphon effect to take over.
I bought the Ryles tube + syringe, cut off some of the tube from the bottom (the perforated area) and tried to remove some oil experimentally. Did not work for me. No oil came out.

I later tried it out with a mug of water to see if something was wrong with the syringe, but it worked perfectly. What did I do wrong?
Old 30th June 2015, 10:00   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I bought the Ryles tube + syringe, cut off some of the tube from the bottom (the perforated area) and tried to remove some oil experimentally. Did not work for me. No oil came out.

I later tried it out with a mug of water to see if something was wrong with the syringe, but it worked perfectly. What did I do wrong?
Push the tube right down to the engine oil level through the dip stick hole, and then push further. If you do so and then pull it out it should have engine oil stained tip. Now that the tip is below the oil, suck it out with the syringe. Hope that helps.
Old 30th June 2015, 18:42   #148
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

In addition to what BHpian goandude says, viscous oil won't get sucked in easily, esp. with small syringes, so you need patience and a few tries to make it work.

Ensure by dipping the tube first that it's breaching the oil surface (I'd recommend using a longer tube so it actually touches the sump bottom, gravity will help your cause marginally), then use the syringe really slowly. I failed the first couple of times as well and just pulled up air, before I got the hang of it.

Try to procure a Glycerin syringe from a surgical supplies store. Provides better suction due to larger cross-section of the plunger head, and the higher capacity (usually 80-100 ml) means lesser usage cycles.

Something like these (pic taken from Google image search):

How harmful is extra Engine Oil?-glycerin-cyringe.jpg

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 30th June 2015 at 18:51.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2015, 18:45   #149
BANNED

I am a habit leave the oil level a few mm below the full mark. As has been pointed out 2-3mm above the full mark will do no harm.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 14:00   #150
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have found that the engine oil level in my Punto 90Hp MJD is above the mark. Can you tell me if there is something to bother about?

Thanks,
Sai
Attached Thumbnails
How harmful is extra Engine Oil?-img_20160108_132040.jpg  

How harmful is extra Engine Oil?-img_20160108_132054.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks