Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2018, 00:20   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How harmful is extra Engine Oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Just bought a Ryles tube & removed 300ml oil thru the dip stick.

I can actually sleep now. My brother tells me
And I have to agree with your brother there. At least crazy ! !

Btw, did the surgicals supplies shop guy ask you for a prescription ?

But thanks for this. I have been looking for a siphon ( used to have one long back in the kerosene days). But wasnt able to find a usable apparatus. Will keep this in mind.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 17:16   #167
BHPian

Hey. Reviving an old thread for some guidance.
I have Swift Diesel 2012 model. The prescribed engine oil capacity is 3.1 L and I generally buy MGDO 3.5L can for the engine oil change and get service done from FNG. They have proper containers to measure and put only 3.1L oil and return the rest, which I have to keep at home.
I had earlier noticed that oil level on dipstick reduced little below the Max mark as the car clocks more Kms after the service. Did a little search and came to know that diesel engines do consume little engine oil and thats normal.

So one idea which came to my mind was to use that excess 400 ml oil for top ups after, say 5K-6K Kms. As a result I would neither have to use it in my next service at 10K Kms (and avoid using older oil with newer one) nor would have to throw it away.

Now after my car has clocked 6.5K Kms from last service, dip stick is 5 mm below the Max mark.
Should I top-up and how much quantity will be enough?

Last edited by ontheway : 1st October 2019 at 17:34. Reason: Better framing of question.
Old 2nd October 2019, 07:07   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
Hey. Reviving an old thread for some guidance.
I have Swift Diesel 2012 model.
Now after my car has clocked 6.5K Kms from last service, dip stick is 5 mm below the Max mark.
Should I top-up and how much quantity will be enough?
At what kms do you replace engine oil?
You can use the oil for top up, start by adding 100ml and wait to see the level increase in the dipstick,its better to go slow with the addition of top up oil as if you are less its easy to just add more but if you over fill its a pain to get the excess out. So add 100 then watch, if required add further 100ml till you reach desired oil level.
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 11:11   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
At what kms do you replace engine oil?
I generally replace engine oil around 10k Kms, as prescribed.

Thanks for the suggestion Scorpian.

But curious to know that am I correct to say that diesel engines do consume engine oil as they run? And what is the normal consumption for these?
Old 2nd October 2019, 15:40   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
I generally replace engine oil around 10k Kms, as prescribed.

Thanks for the suggestion Scorpian.

But curious to know that am I correct to say that diesel engines do consume engine oil as they run? And what is the normal consumption for these?
0.115 oil per 1000kms is what maruti says and considers as normal consumption for ddis engines.
Frankly 10k is too far fetched in our driving conditons.if possible replace sooner.Usually after 5k i notice the oil quality deteriorate and prefer replacing quite before the 10k kms.
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 21:14   #171
BHPian

This is Dipstick of Altis Petrol 1.8 L

Oil is excess by about a CM on the dipstick from the High mark.
Do you think this can damage the Gasket and cause oil leakage?
How harmful is extra Engine Oil?-img_20170702_110130.jpg
Old 27th December 2021, 21:25   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goenkakushal View Post
This is Dipstick of Altis Petrol 1.8 L

Oil is excess by about a CM on the dipstick from the High mark.
Do you think this can damage the Gasket and cause oil leakage?
Attachment 2250428
2-3 mm above the mark is ok, but this is around 10 mm. Don't take chance, get some oil drained.
Old 27th December 2021, 21:56   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
2-3 mm above the mark is ok, but this is around 10 mm. Don't take chance, get some oil drained.
Yes surely.

was curious to know, what kind of damage such incidents can result in.
Old 28th December 2021, 00:06   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goenkakushal View Post
Yes surely.

was curious to know, what kind of damage such incidents can result in.
Excess engine oil causes a lot of splashing of the oil in the sump. Splashing and resultant foaming (bubbles created) can reduce the oil level in the sump. This can also build up pressure inside the crankcase.

Reduced oil level has potential to seize the engine bearings. Pressure build up can cause oil seal failure, again reducing the oil level, in turn seizing the engine. The damages are costly and time consuming to repair and if this happens out of the city, you will also be stranded at odd time.

There is an example on the forum. Punto engine damaged because of excess oil.

Read my post on that thread:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post3850835 (Fiat Grande Punto - Diesel engine stalled on the highway)

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 28th December 2021 at 00:15.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 18:54   #175
BHPian

Hello fellow bhpians, reviving this thread in need of assistance. I got the oil changed on my Honda city 2019 Vtec 1.5 petrol today. I had a Mobil 1 4L jug with me since the car takes somewhere between 3.6-3.7L of oil. Added a new oil filter as well.

The mechanic emptied out the whole 4L (almost, some 50-100ml left) thinking it was the 3.5L can (since mobil jugs look the same)

Attached are some photos of the dipstick taken when car was on a level surface and engine warm (not hot). The oil indicated is certainly above the max mark by around 0.4-0.5mm. (attached photos)

The mechanic says for cars a slight bit of excess engine oil is a non issue but I'd like some advice here on whether I need to get the excess oil drained,
Attached Thumbnails
How harmful is extra Engine Oil?-img_2008.jpg  

How harmful is extra Engine Oil?-img_2009.jpg  

Old 9th January 2022, 09:27   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBokehlicious View Post
The oil indicated is certainly above the max mark by around 0.4-0.5mm. (attached photos)

The mechanic says for cars a slight bit of excess engine oil is a non issue but I'd like some advice here on whether I need to get the excess oil drained,
The oil level is above the mark by .5 cm or so. My recommendation is to buy a big syringe and pipe to fit it from a chemist and take out excess oil from the same hole where dipstick goes. Excess oil could cause foaming and damage the cylinder etc. A petrol car anyway doesn't bring oil so ideally it should be a little lower than the mark.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th January 2022 at 17:28. Reason: Typo
heysac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 16:08   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Attached are some photos of the dipstick taken when car was on a level surface and engine warm (not hot). The oil indicated is certainly above the max mark by around 0.4-0.5mm. (attached photos)

Agree with the mechanic's opinion on 0.5 cm exceeding MAX as being fine.

Yesterday my mechanic emptied a 4L pack Mobil 1 0W40 into the Avanza as usual, whose rated oil capacity is 3.5L .

I've no qualms about it.
Old 9th January 2022, 17:29   #178
Senior - BHPian

DO NOT over fill engine oil. This is NOT a casual matter. Midway between the min & max levels will not do any harm, but engine oil must absolutely NOT be overfilled.

The intent may be to show TLC to the engine/car. But excess engine oil is NOT one of them.

Quote:
Hello fellow bhpians,...
The mechanic emptied out the whole 4L (almost, some 50-100ml left) thinking it was the 3.5L can (since mobil jugs look the same)
Buy a Ryles tube & a large sized syringe, and draw out the excess oil through the dipstick. Please do it only when the engine is cold. (This may seem obvious to you but it's for visitors who refer to the forum for guidance.)

Quote:
The mechanic says for cars a slight bit of excess engine oil is a non issue...
Please find another knowledgeable mechanic for the next oil change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeng View Post
Agree with the mechanic's opinion on 0.5 cm exceeding MAX as being fine.

Yesterday my mechanic emptied a 4L pack Mobil 1 0W40 into the Avanza as usual, whose rated oil capacity is 3.5L .

I've no qualms about it.
Drain out the excess. Surely the engine is not designed for 15% extra oil.
GrammarNazi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 18:24   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Drain out the excess. Surely the engine is not designed for 15% extra oil.
Whilst there is a basis suggesting reciprocating engine is not designed for overfill, or exceeding MAX level by 0.5 cm in this context, anecdotal evidence suggests such 'overfill' would NOT cause engine crankshaft hitting lubricating leading to oil foaming > oil temperature rise > eventual failure.

The said mechanic probably has his own anedoctal evidence and experience for his position, IDK.

My Avanza is an example in hand too.

I would love to be referred to a link on the internet that exceeding MAX level by 0.5 cm on a dipstick passenger car/industrial engines has led to big engine failure directly attributing to non-compliant oil level.

Last edited by zeng : 9th January 2022 at 18:26.
Old 9th January 2022, 18:47   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeng View Post
...I would love to be referred to a link on the internet that exceeding MAX level by 0.5 cm on a dipstick passenger car/industrial engines has led to big engine failure directly attributing to non-compliant oil level.
The owners manual that came with the car is sacrosanct because it is credible.

If you want to believe the anecdotal claim by a mechanic over the specifications stated in the owners manual (which is drafted by the engineers of the company that makes the engine for millions of their cars), then my only request is that you disclaim that you're taking the calculated risk out of your own understanding.

Fair enough ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks