Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2009, 09:54   #31
Senior - BHPian

7mm above the top mark is a little too much in my opinion. I would recommend that you get a little bit of it drained. No need for any special precautions. Just drive normally and do not push the car too much.

Edit: I hope you checked the oil level before a cold start.
Old 2nd August 2009, 10:18   #32
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I did, first thing in the morning.
Old 2nd August 2009, 12:30   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
My oil level is about 7 mm above the upper mark. Car is a new Alto. First service was completed last week and vehicle driven for about 30 KM since then. Checked level only today. Can I leave it like that or is it better to take it to MASS to drain some oil? Gurus please clarify. If I have to take it for draining, any precautions to follow such as low revs, no A/C etc? Thanks in advance!
Excess oil could pop an oil seal. Best to drain the excess. Take it back to the MASS centre.

The oil level should be at the max mark with a cold engine (overnight) and the car parked on level ground. With a hot engine, wait for a minute after switching off the engine before checking always on level ground. It should be between the min and max marks.

Rgds,
Old 2nd August 2009, 14:12   #34
Senior - BHPian

@vikram_d & R2D2

Thanks. Took the car to MSM and got some oil drained. Now it is slightly below the upper mark, which I suppose is OK. If required I will top up later from a 1 litre can of MGO I have purchased as standby.
Old 2nd August 2009, 17:14   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
@vikram_d & R2D2

Thanks. Took the car to MSM and got some oil drained. Now it is slightly below the upper mark, which I suppose is OK. If required I will top up later from a 1 litre can of MGO I have purchased as standby.
It is certainly better than having oil at 7mm over the max! By Slightly above I assume you mean abt 1 or 2 mm. That should be tolerable. Please DO NOT top up unless the oil level falls to a level below 3/4ths between max and min markers on the dip stick. Slightly less oil than the recommended volume is tolerable provided it is between Min and Max but excess oil is always bad.

I hate technicians who do not measure the quantity being poured into an engine.

Rgds,
Old 2nd August 2009, 17:27   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Excess oil could pop an oil seal. Best to drain the excess. Take it back to the MASS centre.

The oil level should be at the max mark with a cold engine (overnight) and the car parked on level ground. With a hot engine, wait for a minute after switching off the engine before checking always on level ground. It should be between the min and max marks.

Rgds,
Oil does expand a bit when its heated. So just waiting for a minute after swithcing off would not be enough, if the oil has become hot. It an accurate reading is required, check the reading when the oil has totally cooled down OR when at operating temprature... as recommended by the manufacturer.
Old 2nd August 2009, 20:57   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I hate technicians who do not measure the quantity being poured into an engine.

Rgds,
I believe they did measure, but did not compensate for the additive which was about 325 ml.
Old 3rd August 2009, 11:32   #38
Senior - BHPian

What additives have they added for a new car? And that too during the first service?
Old 3rd August 2009, 11:43   #39
Senior - BHPian

It says BG.110 engine oil additive in the service invoice. Cost Rs 427.00. I asked the service adviser if they had any good additive and can it be added to a car on first 1000 KM service, and he said no problem!
Old 3rd August 2009, 14:52   #40
Senior - BHPian

Another query here for academic interest. While topping up the engine oil when the level is low, is it enough to match the grade&type of oil if we can't match the brand for any reason? Some people say it is enough if the same grade and type of oil is used, while some say even the brand must be matched. When I wanted to buy a litre of MGO to keep as standby, no MASS was willing to sell it, so I purchased a litre of MGO from Shell. The grade (20W/40),the labelling and even the MGP part no.mentioned are same except the manufacturer. I know that the MGO filled at MASS was also 20W/40 but manufactured by another company (perhaps Servo).

What is the logic behind not selling the oil at MASS? Except perhaps to make us run to them even for a top-up?

Last edited by Gansan : 3rd August 2009 at 14:53.
Old 3rd August 2009, 18:19   #41
Senior - BHPian

Don't know whats the logic behind not selling the MGO at the MASS. I don't think they have any issue of selling that here... but not sure, as whos interested in the MGO anyway!? Lol!

Anyway, if the MGO you used was Servo, you should be able to get it at IOC petrol bunks and even at oil shops.

Would not recommend mixing brands at all... even if its marked MGO!
Old 3rd August 2009, 18:39   #42
BHPian

About 3 months back my car (M1000) was serviced and engine oil was changed. Mechanic drained old oil completely and poured 3.5L (castrol gtx which come in 3.5 L container). After reading this thread I checked the oil level this morning it to my surprize its about 0.5 inch above the max mark! I don't know exactly but ground looks levelled and not inclined to any side. What should I do? drain the excess oil or let it be like that?
Old 3rd August 2009, 18:57   #43
Senior - BHPian

Better to drain it asap.
Old 3rd August 2009, 19:23   #44
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Gansan, any idea what oil is used by your MASS?
Old 3rd August 2009, 20:12   #45
Senior - BHPian

Both of them (ABT as well as MSM) use MGO 20W/40 supplied by IOC. Meanwhile since the oil level was about 2mm short after the draining, I topped up exactly to the upper mark this evening with the MGO 20W/40 I bought from Shell. Now I find from the IOC website that their MGO spec is 20W/40 - API/sc-cc, while the MGO from Shell is 20W/40 - API sf/cc. Do you guys think this could be an issue? If it is, I don't mind changing the oil during second service or even immediately.

If it has to be immediate, why not Castrol GTX or Shell Helix mineral oil? Can it affect warranty even if I get it done at MASS?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks