Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2013, 15:44   #301
Senior - BHPian

Re: TATA nano - List of ALL issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
I don't know if it is only me, but I have seen quite less number of SA's in Balaji than I have seen in Sai Service, Borivali. Less staff here?
No idea about the number of staff at Balaji - They are doing the wiring; if I get it changed totally, I have to shell out close to INR 8,000 but if I get the same fixed, it would be INR 1500; for now, getting the same fixed. Will ensure that I apply some tobacco or similar stuff to keep the rats away.

Will be getting the car tomorrow evening!
amtak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2013, 15:54   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
They are doing the wiring; if I get it changed totally, I have to shell out close to INR 8,000 but if I get the same fixed, it would be INR 1500; for now, getting the same fixed. Will ensure that I apply some tobacco or similar stuff to keep the rats away.

Will be getting the car tomorrow evening!
Ouch! That is too much for the change in wiring. 8k
The SA there had told me that he changed all the wiring of the car. I too was surprised that it costed just 2k. Now I know what he actually did.

Hope those tobacco leaves do the job well.
Old 3rd August 2013, 16:00   #303
Senior - BHPian

Hopefully it should last longer. My other worry is my Zen was parked right next to it and I havent cranked it yet (got the estilo to work); need to check 3rd car as well!
Old 6th August 2013, 23:03   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
What you are experiencing is freezing of the evaporator core. The Nano air conditioner, I hear, is a very effective unit (failures aside). When there is too much refrigerant running through the system and insufficient air flow, ice builds up on the evaporator core and this causes limited and then no air flow through it. Some solutions are to reduce refrigerant (not recommended), keep switching the air conditioner on/off or switch to full hot air mode so it melts the ice formation.
Yes it happened again, airflow got cut-off after about 2 hours drive in the rain when the fan was in 1 and thermostat in the middle. Your opinion suddenly came to my mind so I switched off the compressor and went for full heat with the windows down so that of the frozen core could melt, and viola!!
In a bout 5 mins or less the airflow was retained.
I continued the rest of drive by manually controlling the compressor and kept the thermostat at max cool.
So Mr.Sandeep Mohan you were absolutely right. hats off to your diagnosis and Thank you for sharing this very useful tip.
If its not much trouble could you tell me the story behind your knowledge of this particular case?
msaudf is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 09:49   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Hopefully it should last longer. My other worry is my Zen was parked right next to it and I havent cranked it yet (got the estilo to work); need to check 3rd car as well!
Hey amtak, what happened of the issue? Any updates? How was it dealing with Balaji?
Old 7th August 2013, 12:36   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf View Post

Yes it happened again, airflow got cut-off after about 2 hours drive in the rain when the fan was in 1 and thermostat in the middle. Your opinion suddenly came to my mind so I switched off the compressor and went for full heat with the windows down so that of the frozen core could melt, and viola!!
In a bout 5 mins or less the airflow was retained.
I continued the rest of drive by manually controlling the compressor and kept the thermostat at max cool.
So Mr.Sandeep Mohan you were absolutely right. ...Thank you for sharing this very useful tip.
If its not much trouble could you tell me the story behind your knowledge of this particular case?
Not speaking for Mr Sandeep,I learnt this method after arriving at the same 'icing' conclusion.Also was desperate to exonarate the Nano before my disapproving Dad,so did the heater on with immediate results!
nijelj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 11:16   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf View Post
On a long journey in my friends Opel Corsa, I noticed a similar problem. There was no air coming out of the duct. My friends solution was to turn off the air conditioning, blower and turn it back on after a while. This is what he practised. When he did this, I noticed water dripping on my feet. Just a little. It was never dripping when there was air flow. I rubbed the surface of what ever device was above my feet and could feel water all over it. This can only be melting ice. I turned the thermostat knob all the way to Hot and blower in full blast and it melted the ice in under two minutes. There was no air coming out of the duct initially but it slowly built up and then went to maximum throw.

Turning off the air conditioning and running a mixture of hot air to melt the ice is not the solution to the problem. I've posted what could be the potential cause of the issue over here....

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3195397

Home air conditioners have similar problems. This is the result of a dirty dust filter, low or high amount of refrigerant in the system. Modern home air conditioners have the ability to detect ice formation on the evaporator core and shut down the compressor automatically.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2013, 10:40   #308
BHPian

And finally the AC is knackered! well the refrigerant level was a bit low due to a very small leak somewhere and a topup used to last for about a year, now suddenly after second topup, the AC gave up and leaked all of its gas.
Its so bad the low pressure switch even stopped the compressor to start.
The best part is I have been complaining about this low cooling since the very first service of the car which was in late 2010, and the service center chaps topup the refrigerant and say that its sorted, and when i ask where did the gas go they say "saar very smaaall leak".
So now its back at the service center and they're looking for that smaaall leak for the past 2 days. While leaving the car at the tata service center the SA told me that about 80% of nanos have the same gas leak problem and it is mostly from the Evaporator cooling coil. He also gave me a polite warning that AC parts are a little slow to come by so be prepared to live without your nano for a week. A week! without me nano? God!

Anyway so all my beloved Nanoiets, If you have this "smaaall leak" get your car checked or be prepared to part with your car for a week when the AC finally gives up.

Oh and btw its covered under warranty to they'll replace it for free.
msaudf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 23:05   #309
BHPian

My nano is back and ready to fight another day. Just as expected the Evaporator coil had a leak and it was replaced under warranty, although it took them a week to sort it out they did a complete overhaul and checked every little bit of the AC and found a defect in the blower motor and its resistor and replaced that also under warranty.
Old 4th October 2013, 21:44   #310
BHPian

The day the Nano returned from the garage, i noticed that the Headlight dipper isn't working. A day later I noticed that the hazard warning lights also dont work.

I looked at the fuse box, and surprise! The dipper and the hazard lights have a common fuse, which in my car was missing. Some smart mechanic decided to "borrow" my 20AMP fuse !

Anyway, a fuse later , all izz well:-)
john doe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 10:06   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post

I looked at the fuse box, and surprise! The dipper and the hazard lights have a common fuse, which in my car was missing. Some smart mechanic decided to "borrow" my 20AMP fuse !

Anyway, a fuse later , all izz well:-)
That looks like a case of more than "borrow" .
Anyway its good that you had the presence of mind to look through the fuses and sort out your problem with a simple fuse unlike some people who go and run around the car like their hair is on fire.
Old 7th October 2013, 08:32   #312
BHPian

I own a 2011 Nano CX and here are some of the problems I have faced.

First the wiper blade was streaking a lot and also shuddered. Being the begining of the monsoon, I didn't want to take any chances and asked the SA to replace it. He did so under warranty, so it was FOC! But the brand new one was much worse than the old one! So I went to Reliance Autozone and bought a Hella wiper blade for Rs. 340 and replaced it myself.

Almost as soon as the wiper blade was replaced, the wiper started to squeak a lot and the noise became an embarrasment. I kept putting off a visit to the mechanic until one Sunday when I decided to tackle it DIY. Some spanners, screw drivers and pliers helped to remove the wiper motor. As I had suspected, the culprit was the wiper shaft that had rusted from the rain water and was squeaking in its bearing. I rubbed it with some emery paper and applied some silicone waterproof grease and reassembled everything. No squeaking now. All's well that ends well

I recently realised that my Nano has some wiring mix-up. The blower works in the Acc. position of the lock but the stereo does not. The stereo works in the Ignition ON position only. This is one pending issue that needs attention by a good electrician. Does anybody else have this problem?
Old 7th October 2013, 10:25   #313
Senior - BHPian

I have a 6 month old Nano LX and till date, I had not faced any big issues at all. Today morning, I started up the car to go to office, tried pulling the driver side seat belt, and it just refused to come out! Looks like it is stuck somewhere inside. Wondering if it's a common issue?
Old 7th October 2013, 18:15   #314
BHPian

^^^^
I've never had this experience. On the other hand I've sat in only 1 Nano in my entire life ; my own!

My problem is that the front seatbacks are both jammed ( though at the perfect angle) and will not allow any movement in either direction.

No solution for that since the necessary parts never seem to available at the TASS.
Old 7th October 2013, 19:29   #315

I have not had any major issues. Mine is a 2012 LX model 15months old and done 50k km. Touchwood. No major problems so far. Going strong.

Some minor issues
1) Ac vent caps are broken,never bothered to replace. This acts as a value add now. I can open one cap alone (of the two) in an AC vent.
2) Hazard light (or parking lamps?) switch came off. Asked SA if it can be replaced, seems the entire unit mounted on the steering has to be replaced. Never bothered.
3) Wiper blades often get into a wrong position and give a tad tad tad sound when used after a long interval. A lift and correct positioning helps the same.
4) RHS head lamp low beam tend to work with an aritificial intelligence. Looks like there is a small connection gap between the lamp and something else (excuse my poor knowledge). It comes up when i brake hard or when water is poured over the lamp. Worried if service center guys might screw the wiring, so happy with the AI for now.

Overall i am one happy nano customer achieving 27kmpl(sometimes 30) on NH and 23 in city TATA service has not been a botheration for me so far. I am happy with my service center.
sramven is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks