Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2012, 10:10   #1576
PhX
BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahilm View Post
hello all and hope you are all well .
My name is sahil and i am in new delhi , i am planning to buy the varna fluidic petrol automatic as my running is just around 500 km a month .
i wanted to know your kind inputs regarding the a/c of this car .
I need a a/c that really chills the car , i find the a/c on the honda city very effective , i hear that the hyundi guys have changed the compressor on the fluidic to a 122 cc one as compared to the old verna which had a 160 cc compressor .
will this a/c chill the car in the 45-46 temp of delhi !!
I don't own a Fluidic Verna, so you'll have to take an owner's word for it. However, I'll share my experience during the test drive which I took in Mumbai. The car was supposedly parked in the sun before I took it, so it wasn't very cold, but throughout the drive, we had the AC running on fairly high speed (I don't remember which setting it was on). The sound of the wind coming from the AC vents was fairly loud and yet the car did not cool down as much as I expected it should have.
Now, it is possible that because it was a TD vehicle, something must have gone amiss that they did not fix sufficiently.
Old 26th January 2012, 10:20   #1577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS
Since it launch, it is still a segment topper buddy. Handling at 130 kmph is not a factor majority of buyers consider. Very few look to drive at that speeds. The soft suspension set up is largely suited for in city driving and not a racing set up. By the way informed buyers know the limits of their car.....
Looks like you have taken my comments personally. Moreover am afraid you have not read my previous post properly.

When i say informed buyers... I intend to mean people who do frequent highway runs in expressways or the like roads. If that is their priority they would mostly choose a car that handles well in the open. Am sure you have read the vento and city new car ownership reports post the new verna launch. The major reason to turn down the verna is its not so good highspeed - highway handling. They stand to testify my POV

I have also duly acknowledged that it is a brilliant car otherwise.

Each car has its own limitations and we need to learn to live with them.

PS: There's a korean boat.... err.... car in my garage too!! :lol

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 26th January 2012 at 10:27.
Old 26th January 2012, 11:44   #1578
BHPian

Verna is a good city car, may not be a highway enthusiast's car!! If you drive on more on the highways, you shouldn’t buy this car. I was fortunate enough to survive the car at speed between 140 – 175 kmph. ;-)

The other thing that I keep hearing about Verna is the rear seats being claustrophobic. I’m using the backseat of Beemer 320D for the last 3 days here in California. If Verna’s backseat feels that way, then people should try the Beemer. The seating is amazingly low!!

Last edited by junkishya : 26th January 2012 at 11:46.
Old 26th January 2012, 11:49   #1579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
Chitta,

What other mods have you done? I'm asking because there is something which is drawing a large amount of current albeit for a fraction of a second when its turned on. The symptom you're outlining shows that the audio system is restarting. Ensure that all mods have their own power route and are not straining the OEM wiring. Things that come to mind are Amplifiers, HID kits, Power Horns etc.
I have not done any mods other than installing oval speakers on the rear tray. I am facing this problem from day one, so this mod has nothing to do with my problem.

Please inform me whether you have made folders in your pen drive or not. Without folders it is very difficult to find a track out of so many in a pen drive.

This problem frustrates me as it did not happen with the service centre mechanic inside the car with their pen drive over a period of approx. 30 min. I was driving & was using the horn frequently. No one in this forum is facing this kind of a problem. Is there any thing to do with the data format, making of folders etc. etc.

Thanks
Old 26th January 2012, 15:58   #1580
BHPian

Just got off phone with my mechanic. He calls it 'Horn main relay'. It cost me 540 including labor. I dindt push for warranty. May be yours would be covered as you didnt do any mods. but before you go that route may be you should confirm the source. Let me know if you need any help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan

I too feel that horn ( stock) has a role to play. The chance of going back to the first song most often coincide with pressing of the horn. With out the horn too, it goes to the first song. It both cases the masage displayed is " reading USB", as if the pen drive was just being inserted.

Would appreciate, if you let me know which part/relay of your car was replaced to rectify the problem. If possible it's price & if it is covered under warranty or not.

Thanks

Last edited by esranjith : 26th January 2012 at 16:01.
Old 26th January 2012, 16:27   #1581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esranjith View Post
Just got off phone with my mechanic. He calls it 'Horn main relay'. It cost me 540 including labor. I dindt push for warranty. May be yours would be covered as you didnt do any mods. but before you go that route may be you should confirm the source. Let me know if you need any help.
Thanks Esranjith for your kind help. In my case, the problem comes even with out blowing the horn. But often the problem occurs when I use the horn. Many times even on repeated use of horn, the problem does not occur.

What was in your case? Was it coming to the first song invariably when you used the horn? Or there were ocassions when even after use of horn, it was not coming to the first song. Also let me know whether there was any ocassion, when even with out horn, it had come to the first song.

Your reply will certainly help me.

Thanks
Old 26th January 2012, 16:37   #1582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
My car settled almost immediately after the jump, maybe after another 2 oscillations.
Now the verna on the other hand continued long after that. I counted 20 oscillations for what I figure was 10 seconds (estimate, can be very inaccurate).
I've clocked 10,500km on mine, about 40% of which was on the highways. I am by no means a slow driver either. Yet I've never felt that there's anything scary about the drive. Agreed, its not as great as some of the competition, but then again it doesn't claim to be either. The steering could've been heavier and the suspension stiffer. But no car is perfect.

Another aspect to consider here are the variables. The Tyre pressure, Weight (passengers/luggage) Actual Speed, Driver reaction and of course the suspension etc. There are too many aspects involved which could've resulted in this.

Also so many rebounds is impossible unless there were several other dips which the driver probably steered into when the car took off. I'm saying this because I've accidently jumped off a hump at high speed and the car bobbed maybe twice before settling down. But that was it. I don't know if it appeared otherwise from outside. Sometimes we may not notice it because we're too worried about losing traction or colliding with something.

I've seen a lot of cars do a lot of crazy things in front of me. But that doesn't mean squat unless all conditions are equal. Also I've noticed that at times things look exaggerated when viewed from the outside.

Did the driver look scared? Did you catch his/her face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
I have not done any mods other than installing oval speakers on the rear tray. I am facing this problem from day one, so this mod has nothing to do with my problem.

Please inform me whether you have made folders in your pen drive or not. Without folders it is very difficult to find a track out of so many in a pen drive.

This problem frustrates me as it did not happen with the service centre mechanic inside the car with their pen drive over a period of approx. 30 min. I was driving & was using the horn frequently. No one in this forum is facing this kind of a problem. Is there any thing to do with the data format, making of folders etc. etc.

Thanks
I have a ton of folders in my drive. Only time I faced the restarting problem was when I was testing the HID units without a relay.

Is it restarting mid song? Or does it go to the first file everytime you turn the unit on? The former is a problem with current draw. The latter has to do with the drive itself.

Last edited by Tassem : 26th January 2012 at 16:38.
Old 26th January 2012, 18:31   #1583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post

I have a ton of folders in my drive. Only time I faced the restarting problem was when I was testing the HID units without a relay.

Is it restarting mid song? Or does it go to the first file everytime you turn the unit on? The former is a problem with current draw. The latter has to do with the drive itself.
Yes, it is restarting from the mid song( the way it has been designed) from where the car was switched off. But in one pen drive( 4 gb- Transcent), it is starting from the first song every time I start the car-seems that there is a problem with the drive it self. I am no longer using that pen drive.

Is it possible that due to some problem in the type of data or file in the drive is the cause of my problem? As I have informed earlier the display shows " reading USB" amidst a song as if drive was just inserted & starts playing the very first song. It never happens when the car is stationery. What could be the problem in your opinion.

I fully agree with you about the stability of the car at high speeds. I have done more than 7k now, 70% of that on highways. If traffic permits, there is absolutely no problem holding a speed of 140 kmph all along. I have touched a top speed of 170 kmph( as per speedo) so far, where I did not feel confident enough, but same time it is not required too. 140 kmph is good enough a speed on our roads. We seldom need to drive above that speed.

Thanks
Old 26th January 2012, 18:39   #1584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Since it launch, it is still a segment topper buddy. Handling at 130 kmph is not a factor majority of buyers consider. Very few look to drive at that speeds. The soft suspension set up is largely suited for in city driving and not a racing set up. By the way informed buyers know the limits of their car.

When you drive the Verna you do not feel as freaky and dangerous as it may seem. The car is quite stable let me assure you. The answer to your observation would be in how the Verna driver reacted after the so called 20 oscillations? Did it look like he was panicking or did he slow down dramatically after that? In all probability he must have continued at the same speed . The so called 20 oscillations could be the result of the rest of the bad patch. I guess you car has a harder suspension set up so you may not have noticed the smaller oscillations

The Verna handling is not great at very high speeds as the soft set up is more tuned to city conditions. Having said that, I believe you can still drive at good speeds and enjoy the car fully.

My car has crossed 8K and I am enjoying it to the maximum

Cheers

KPS
He just slowed down a bit but the car did not swerve (not expected on a straight road). I am sure he was used to that patch.
But in the city also, if there is big enough patch of bad road or even just a medium sized pothole the car does oscillate too much for my liking. My previous car, linea, was something similar.

When I was choosing a car to buy, I did look at the Verna but it's seat were just not comfortable enough for my back. But it's loaded to the brim no doubt.
I chose a civic in the end, and the suspension is neither hard nor soft, perfect for me.

As far as informed buyers go, sadly there are not enough. Almost everyone I meet starts blabbering off as if they know everything, especially when it comes to my car choice.
Old 26th January 2012, 18:40   #1585
BHPian

Quote:
Is it possible that due to some problem in the type of data or file in the drive is the cause of my problem? As I have informed earlier the display shows " reading USB" amidst a song as if drive was just inserted & starts playing the very first song. It never happens when the car is stationery. What could be the problem in your opinion.
I guess you will have to go the trial and error route.

Does it happen ONLY with USB? Try a CD as well. FM wont make much of a difference because there are no read times. If the unit has buffering it will be difficult to check in CD mode as well. But do try.

Try the drive formatted in FAT32 with just a few songs. See if it happens.
Try FAT16 and NTFS. I don't recall if it can play NTFS. But try.

Is the A/C on when this happens? And if it is, is it in Auto? I'm asking because the compressor may be stressing out the power system. Turn off everything else (A/C, Lights, Amp etc.) and drive the car around. Honk to see if it makes a difference. Try the power windows, Central Locking etc. one by one. This way you will be able to narrow down the problem area and tend to that.

Hope this helps. I'm sure it is some small aspect we're ignoring. But lets try the basics first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani
As far as informed buyers go, sadly there are not enough. Almost everyone I meet starts blabbering off as if they know everything, especially when it comes to my car choice.
Civic is a really good car! Whoever says otherwise is plain conked! lol. I think the only complain with civic is the droopy rear suspension. But I still love that car. Especially the superb interior and console!

Last edited by Tassem : 26th January 2012 at 18:45.
Tassem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2012, 19:58   #1586
BHPian

I didnt try the USB drive until had fit the extra horn. So im not sure if the OEM horn brought this problem. As soon as i started using Usb for music i saw it resetting often. Initially i didnt know it was horn. After a while i found that its the extra horn causing it. If i use the horn lightly or short honks no problem. Only the long honks or pulsed ones for like 5 secs caused the problem. But it was always when i honk. Never otherwise. And then the extra honk wasnt sounding good. Since my dad tuned that horn (its not a new one. He took one from his car and retuned it for me) i didnt worry much, i just switched (he was kind enough o set me a switch to switch between each horns easily) to OEM. The Usb reset problem happened once with Oem horn. As i said only horn caused it. Nothing else. Then i took it to dealer. He changed the horn relay and the problem is gone.

I think that big story answers all your questions. Let me know if it doesnt.

Your problem doesnt seem to be isolated to horn. So there might be something else. @Tassem has asked the right questions. Try different things. It could be anything else. Try a formatted USB with just a few songs. Also check if its the power mirrors. Worst case, buy the usb drive from mechanic ;-)

Quote:
Thanks Esranjith for your kind help. In my case, the problem comes even with out blowing the horn. But often the problem occurs when I use the horn. Many times even on repeated use of horn, the problem does not occur.

What was in your case? Was it coming to the first song invariably when you used the horn? Or there were ocassions when even after use of horn, it was not coming to the first song. Also let me know whether there was any ocassion, when even with out horn, it had come to the first song.

Your reply will certainly help me.

Thanks
esranjith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2012, 22:31   #1587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esranjith View Post

I think that big story answers all your questions. Let me know if it doesnt.

Your problem doesnt seem to be isolated to horn. So there might be something else. @Tassem has asked the right questions. Try different things. It could be anything else. Try a formatted USB with just a few songs. Also check if its the power mirrors. Worst case, buy the usb drive from mechanic ;-)
It is clear that my problem is different from yours. I got one drive formatted in FAT32 as suggested by Tassem & transferred few songs. The problem still exists.

It seems I have to again visit the service station & have a longer drive with the mechanic with head lights & fog lamp on. I am sure the problem will appear in presence of the mechanic this time. To my surprise, CDs work fine.

Thanks

Last edited by Chitta Pradhan : 26th January 2012 at 22:33. Reason: addition
Old 27th January 2012, 16:57   #1588
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I've booked the Hyundai Verna VTVT SX(O) 1.6. . Ex Showroom- 9,11,413.
Insurance-36,024. Road Tax-1,41,636. INC CHGS- 6900. Std ACCS- 1,000. Extended Warranty- 4,660. Which gives a Grand Total of 11,01,633.

This is from Advaith Hyundai, Residency Road, Bangalore.

Can anyone please tell me if the insurance amount they are charging is alright. And also comment on the other prices as well please.

Thank you in advance.
Old 27th January 2012, 16:59   #1589
BHPian

Also Can anyone tell me what the running in procedure for the Verna Petrol is?
Old 27th January 2012, 17:23   #1590
BHPian

To start with thank you for your replies regarding the a/c of the hyundai verna , i am getting really mixed reviews about the a/c and its one of my biggest reasons for changing my present car .

i find the anhv way better than the honda city and am ready to buy it immediately , but i cannot afford to buy a luxury sedan and be sweating in the summers . . . damm hyundai

no running in mate , these are new gen cars unlike the ambassador and the fiat , enjoy the drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuj1237 View Post
Also Can anyone tell me what the running in procedure for the Verna Petrol is?

Last edited by Jaggu : 27th January 2012 at 17:36. Reason: Back to back post, please use EDIT once the posts are approved. Thank

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks