Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2012, 13:45   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bringing home the blue teutonic beauty - VW Vento TDI Highline

Nilesh,
Went downstairs immediately to have a look at the car. The body part doesn't have the swirls or the scratches similar to yours, but the top seems to have a few. Seems like the washer takes extra effort for the body, but not for the top.

Not sure if I have the luxury of getting him to wash my car with the duster & micro fibre cloth, but I'll come up with some alternative option. Maybe asking him to wash it once or twice in a week while I use the duster to keep it clean in between. Anyway the washer is only for this month, after this I'm going back to my original residence where the washer will be me again.
Old 26th January 2012, 18:20   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
I did have a heart attack looking at the state of the car and paint. Why do you need to wash with hard water, doesn't Banglore have soft water? Maintaining dark color car is a pain and washing them daily just aggravates it further more.
No, Bangalore does not have chlorinated water like Mumbai. The water comes straight from the river, AFAIK. Of course, I could have used a softener before washing but I learnt about them only recently!

Quote:
I would suggest wash the car 3 times a week and just quick detail it with ONR in the ration 1:16(ONR:Water) to make your very own quick detailer. The car will look like just waxed.
I do a 1:8 ratio and put it in a spray bottle. I have specifically instructed the cleaner to use the spray lightly after the dusting is done. He was not initially convinced that this would be enough to clean the car well. But gave in when I demonstrated to him how effective ONR is!

Quote:
In the end after all the bashing I said about dark color car I would still say, "A clean and waxed shadow blue or pearl black color car will give any other light color car a run for it money."
Absolutely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Guys,
Noob question. What is ONR ?

Nilesh,
how much did you pay for the job ?
@F150, I was a noob too, before I met UD.

"Optimum No Rinse" wash - Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine: clay lubricant, optimum rinseless wash, no rinse car wash, optimum detailing products

The damages were four and a half grand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Nilesh,
Went downstairs immediately to have a look at the car. The body part doesn't have the swirls or the scratches similar to yours, but the top seems to have a few.
Good for you! Yes, washing less and only with softened water is critical.

On a side note, my over-enthusiastic cleaner does not seem to be satisfied with just the dusting/spraying. He asked me to keep a bucket of water ready tomorrow so that he can wash the tires nicely -- they have become very dirty according to him! I told him we'll see tomorrow.
Old 26th January 2012, 18:52   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
I do a 1:8 ratio and put it in a spray bottle. I have specifically instructed the cleaner to use the spray lightly after the dusting is done. He was not initially convinced that this would be enough to clean the car well. But gave in when I demonstrated to him how effective ONR is!
I would suggest you to go with 1:16 ratio as it is the recommended dilution for quick detailing. 1:8 is a over kill.
Even for making clay bar lubricant the ratio is 1:64 to prevent the clay from sticking to metal, so 1:16 would be apt. You would be able to use the same bottle of ONR concentrate twice as much also.
Just my 2p.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 20:36   #214
BHPian

So I am on yet another Bangalore-Mumbai road trip. It has become a habit of convenience. Faster than train, cheaper than flight.

The car is, needless to say, a true highway cruiser. Cruising is fun, overtaking is fun, speeding is fun (for limited stretches only!). Most merriment was on the Mumbai-Pune expressway. For once, even my mom was not scared!

I had a realization in this trip. And an answer to Ninja's observation (quoted below).

Quote:
I wanted to add one more point that my FE seems to have gone down with the kms. Earlier highway drives would fetch me 18-20, but now I keep hovering around 16-17. But then it's too early, I'll probably wait for a month or so and then comment on it.
You can still get 20kmpl if you want too. All you need to do is put the same constraints as you put in the run-in period.

I tried that for the first 500 kms and I was able to achieve a perfect 20kmpl -- I filled in 37psi in all 4 tyres and drove at a leisurely 80 kmph for the first six hours. With such a rev-friendly car, my habits have changed after the run-in period and I have noticed that I tend to drive faster than earlier. If you are able to hold your horses, you should be back to the run-in period mileages.

However, like I said, my habits have changed and after the first six hours, I could not keep myself in check. Happily revved after that. Also the maddening traffic between Kolhapur and Pune makes you want to quickly move away from the crowd. Still was able to extract a superb 18kmpl for the whole journey till Mumbai, using... hold your breath... just a single tankful of diesel !!

On a different note, touched 14000 kms on the odo and it will cross 15k when I touch Bangalore. And then time for the first service!

Beautiful sunrise, just before Chitradurga
My Blue Teutonic Beauty | VW Vento TDI Highline | 150,000 km update-img_1258.jpg
Old 23rd February 2012, 21:29   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And an answer to Ninja's observation (quoted below).

You can still get 20kmpl if you want too. All you need to do is put the same constraints as you put in the run-in period.
LOL

You got 20 kmpl - guess what I got on a Mumbai - Pune drive today morning - 15 kmpl! But I was touching 140 plus figures during most of the drive - I was all alone, plus was late to office. Couldn't stop myself.

Quote:
So I am on yet another Bangalore-Mumbai road trip. It has become a habit of convenience. Faster than train, cheaper than flight.
I agree. I so much agree. Infact, what the heck, I'll do one too!

WIP plan put-up for 8th - 11th weekend. My only sore issue is the DJ Guetta tour which happens at Pune on 10th (Saturday), and 11th (Sunday) at Bangalore - as a result I can't attend it in either city!

Will inform once the plan gets confirmed. Again the main issue is lack of junta. So far I have got one guy to agree verbally!

Quote:
On a different note, touched 14000 kms on the odo and it will cross 15k when I touch Bangalore. And then time for the first service!
Ho hum. I am not that eager to get to 15k! But I guess after that trip, I might be hovering that close only!
Old 24th February 2012, 19:48   #216
Senior - BHPian

Need some tips from you regarding ONR. I'm getting one through my colleague who is coming down from US and I see this product has multiple usage applications. For quick detailing - Do you have to wash the car prior to this? What is your experience using ONR for washing the car. Can you put up some brief points on this when you get some time? My car has swirl marks and tiny scratches all over it. Does this ONR do a good job of hiding them?

Quote:

"Optimum No Rinse" wash...
Old 24th February 2012, 21:26   #217
BHPian

Quote:
I agree. I so much agree. Infact, what the heck, I'll do one too!

WIP plan put-up for 8th - 11th weekend. My only sore issue is the DJ Guetta tour which happens at Pune on 10th (Saturday), and 11th (Sunday) at Bangalore - as a result I can't attend it in either city!

Will inform once the plan gets confirmed. Again the main issue is lack of junta. So far I have got one guy to agree verbally!
Ah, great! Do let me know if you are coming to Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Need some tips from you regarding ONR. I'm getting one through my colleague who is coming down from US and I see this product has multiple usage applications. For quick detailing - Do you have to wash the car prior to this? What is your experience using ONR for washing the car. Can you put up some brief points on this when you get some time? My car has swirl marks and tiny scratches all over it. Does this ONR do a good job of hiding them?
Yes, ONR is a multipurpose liquid. You can use it for quick detailing, washing and as a clay lubricant too. Here is what I do:
  • Quick Detailing: You don't need to wash the car for a quick detailing session. As the name suggests, it is a no-rinse liquid. I dilute it 1:16 with water and put it in a spray bottle. I dust the car first using Jopasu duster. Then I spray the diluted solution lightly panel by panel and wipe them dry with a clean microfiber towel. If there are stains and dirt spots, I spray a little more on them to soften them up and let that spot remain wet for sometime to loosen the dirt. Then a quick wipe with the cloth does the job. Tiny scratches (only the tiny) hide away with this treatment, and the car gets a nice shine. Can't really hide swirl marks. You would need to do waxing after this quick detailing session, to really hide the swirl marks. I do quick detailing almost every day (done away with the cleaner!). It takes me 15 minutes to do it after my morning workout.
  • Washing: I use the two bucket method to clean the car once in 2 weeks. One bucket has plain water to wash the mitt used to clean the car and the other bucket of water has one capful of ONR. I dip the wash mitt in the ONR bucket, wipe the car wet with it and rinse the mitt in the other bucket to remove the dirt. Then finally, I use a meguiars drying towel to wipe the car dry (nothing but a highly absorbent MF towel to completely remove the water).
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 21:52   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You got 20 kmpl - guess what I got on a Mumbai - Pune drive today morning - 15 kmpl! But I was touching 140 plus figures during most of the drive - I was all alone, plus was late to office. Couldn't stop myself.
Ninja you come to Mumbai and don't even stop by at my place at Palm Beach Rd. Sanpada, its on the way if anyone comes from from Pune or goes to Pune, bad.
Its seems you have started enjoying your Vento and putting it through its paces. I for have never got 20 Kmpl because car is always doing 140+ or revved hard but it still delivers 15 Kmpl no matter what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Need some tips from you regarding ONR. I'm getting one through my colleague who is coming down from US and I see this product has multiple usage applications
Bala you can go through this link and it gives all the aspects of ONR. What is the quantity of ONR your colleague is getting and the price?

I use ONR in following dilution for various purposes.
1 cup for two bucket wash method.
1:64(ONR:Water) for clay bar lubricant.
1:16(ONR:Water) for quick detailing.

ONR cannot do away with swirls or scratches. You would need a cutting compound like Meguiars SwirlX or Meguiars ScratchX 2.0 to get rid of them.

Quote:
  • Quick Detailing: You don't need to wash the car for a quick detailing session. As the name suggests, it is a no-rinse liquid. I dilute it 1:16 with water and put it in a spray bottle. I dust the car first using Jopasu duster. Then I spray the diluted solution lightly panel by panel and wipe them dry with a clean microfiber towel. If there are stains and dirt spots, I spray a little more on them to soften them up and let that spot remain wet for sometime to loosen the dirt. Then a quick wipe with the cloth does the job. Tiny scratches (only the tiny) hide away with this treatment, and the car gets a nice shine. Can't really hide swirl marks. You would need to do waxing after this quick detailing session, to really hide the swirl marks. I do quick detailing almost every day (done away with the cleaner!). It takes me 15 minutes to do it after my morning workout.
  • Washing: I use the two bucket method to clean the car once in 2 weeks. One bucket has plain water to wash the mitt used to clean the car and the other bucket of water has one capful of ONR. I dip the wash mitt in the ONR bucket, wipe the car wet with it and rinse the mitt in the other bucket to remove the dirt. Then finally, I use a meguiars drying towel to wipe the car dry (nothing but a highly absorbent MF towel to completely remove the water).

Impressive Nilesh. Now your Blue teutonic beauty wont get those swirls & scratches which were their earlier with you taking care now.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 22:41   #219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ninja you come to Mumbai and don't even stop by at my place at Palm Beach Rd. Sanpada, its on the way if anyone comes from from Pune or goes to Pune, bad.
weren't you supposed to be Down Under?

I went through the Palm Beach road twice, both times I almost dialed ur number, but then remembered you had been on the trip!
I am so bad with dates and all! Spitty!

Btw interesting gyan session on ONR! Guess its about time I got one for myself!

Edit: Nilesh, yes will inform once the plan's confirmed. Btw the first part (pune-bglr) will mostly be an overnight drive! Can't wait!

Last edited by ninjatalli : 24th February 2012 at 22:43.
Old 24th February 2012, 23:17   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
weren't you supposed to be Down Under?

I went through the Palm Beach road twice, both times I almost dialed ur number, but then remembered you had been on the trip!
I am so bad with dates and all! Spitty!
I was back from OZ on 9 Feb and your trip was just yesterday. Next time. Got to drive Audi A4 and Honda Accord Euro. Will discuss with you when we meet soon.

With you guys driving so much I too have a trip planned to Goa in 2 wk of June, confirmed.
Old 24th February 2012, 23:27   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was back from OZ on 9 Feb and your trip was just yesterday. Next time. Got to drive Audi A4 and Honda Accord Euro. Will discuss with you when we meet soon.

With you guys driving so much I too have a trip planned to Goa in 2 wk of June, confirmed.
Hey nice! Don't tell you me you got those cars for rent!

Good good, loads to discuss next time we meet-up!

Btw ditto on the June trip. Got a reception to attend on June 9th at Madgaon. Will be interesting if plans do get confirmed and our itinerary dates match!
Old 24th February 2012, 23:44   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey nice! Don't tell you me you got those cars for rent!

Good good, loads to discuss next time we meet-up!

Btw ditto on the June trip. Got a reception to attend on June 9th at Madgaon. Will be interesting if plans do get confirmed and our itinerary dates match!
Woah, I'm also in Madgaon on 11th June, let's catch up and fix up our itinerary. How about going to Martins corner just half hour drive from there.

Not on rent but they were there at the disposal.
Old 25th February 2012, 09:23   #223
BHPian

My god. You guys a plan so much in advance. I can't think anything beyond 2 months!
Old 25th February 2012, 09:47   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My god. You guys a plan so much in advance. I can't think anything beyond 2 months!
lol - neither can I. Just that the marriage calendar has already been setup for this year, so I have these specific dates and cities on which the marriage/reception I have to attend. But then nothing is sure until the last moment, hence my disclaimer in my previous post about "if my plans do get confirmed".
Old 25th February 2012, 10:44   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The system has made us to do so. Club Mahindra takes booking 6 months prior and its always full. Flights booking are available nearly 1yr in advance and trains the less said is better. But finally a 1000+ km drive is up for sure.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks