Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2011, 12:30   #46
BHPian

Re: Finally! “Driven!” & “Chosen a Diesel Sedan” – The VVS Magnum (Chevrolet Optra)

Congratulations Poitive! You finally took the plunge I havent had time to read the entire thread, but have bookmarked it and will do so later. As you know even i was seriously considering the Optra, but we ended up buying a City E-MT (Long story, will put up an ownership thread sometime this week).

Wish you many happy miles in the car. Drive safe
Old 22nd August 2011, 16:40   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: Finally! “Driven!” & “Chosen a Diesel Sedan” – The VVS Magnum (Chevrolet Optra)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
I have done 500+ kms and the experience so far has been good with my Magnum. I somehow do not believe in the 'Premium' fuel. Have filled the tank twice so far, second time an hour ago and used regular diesel. Will try out premium fuel after my first service

Yes, there is definite turbo-lag but again, it does not bother me much. Down shift and pull away is what I do.

There are lots and lots of good things about this machine and few things I am unhappy about based on my personal preferences but I am very happy with my decision to go with Optra Magnum LT. Will drive few more kms before I post a detailed experience.
NR, I was astonished at the lack of turbolag. I almost don't feel any. It may have to do with my intuitive driving being well adjusted to making finer adjustments to the pressure on the A pedal. But other possible reasons in my mind were:
  1. Upgrade in ECU settings post BS4
  2. Change in exhaust system post BS4
  3. Fuel used
Now since we both have post BS4 cars, it leads me to think that it may have to do with the fuel used. I am using High-Speed by BP.

I feel almost zero turbo-lag. Other Magnum owners who may be reading this (or even one's who have had TDs) please comment on the Turbo-lag you feel and the fuel used. We just may be hitting onto the discrepancy in experiences on turbo-lag.

@NR, it may be worthwhile to get to a low enough fuel level (say about 1/4th tank) and then tank up with High-Speed by BP to check the difference. It may take a bit of usage to start noticing the difference, however (say about 50-100kms).

PS: By turbo-lag, I mean the sheer lack of power before the turbo gets into action. I am not sure if my understanding of the term is perfect. It seems that - if a car has a lot of turbo-boost, the part before it gets into action seems dull in comparison to what follows (the big boost). That relative difference in power/torque may possibly be seen as turbo-lag by people. I am not referring to that. Anyone who can explain turbo-lag well, please share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Congrats Poitive! Finally it happened. No wonder it had to be Optra Magnum.

Boy o boy, this has to be the longest ownership report on Team BHP. BUTTT, it is also the most informative of all IMO. You have a superb knack of writing long long posts and still keep them on track and informative. Good on you.

Belive me, I have read all your posts on other threads (Driven, Choosing ...,) and all of them were pretty much bang on always. It was a pleasure reading them and please keep them coming. I see you doing Official Car reviews for TeamBHP in the coming future, when the legends hang up their boots.

Dude, please man, we need pics. I know you would be pretty serious and detailed about the pics too, thats why i am not pushing too much, but still hurry up.

Wishing you a very happy and long relationship with the most LOGICAL diesel sedan currently on the south of 10 lacs.
Thanks for the wishes Ajay. Did I mention that I really like the graphic on your handle picture? Made me think that you may have something to do with graphic design.

Thank you for reading my posts and encouraging me too.

I have very often been concerned about my longish posts. Also that I end up spending unreasonable amounts of time on Tbhp. Often wonder, if it is worth it, as I don't even get to know if people read the posts. Am always happy to have feedback and to hear from people.

Now the 'real' report of The VVS M has only just started. The initial bit was just the background and opener! Well, I honestly don't know how much there may be to talk about this car. But given how much I am enjoying it, chances are that I'll keep yapping.

I'd love to do the official car reviews, if time permits (somehow one feels that if there was a request from the mods - given the passion - time will find it's way into the scheme of things). But if it is to happen by the time the legends hang their boots, one may only find out that I have hung mine before them!!! But thanks for the kind words, Ajay.

And beyond just being the most logical sedan under 10L, I think it is also the most appealing to the heart too. For me it appealed to the heart first. For the head, I had to do ample research before taking the plunge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
Congratulations Poitive! You finally took the plunge I havent had time to read the entire thread, but have bookmarked it and will do so later. As you know even i was seriously considering the Optra, but we ended up buying a City E-MT (Long story, will put up an ownership thread sometime this week).

Wish you many happy miles in the car. Drive safe

Hey radiokidb! Seeing you after a long long time. I thought you had bought your 'Magnum' and 'shot' away from the forum!!! Do let us know what you think of it, once you read the thread.

If it is a petrol one is to buy, the City is a very good choice for most. A good well designed and spacious cabin. Had I to go in for a petrol, a City with tyre upgrades may have been my starting choice. Do post a link here when you get your ownership report, as many people who were a part of the 'Choosing' thread may be interested in your thread, and they may be checking out this thread too.

Thanks for your wishes mate. Happy and safe driving to you too

Last edited by Poitive : 22nd August 2011 at 16:44. Reason: Added PS after NR's quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 17:23   #48
BHPian

WOW! What a post! Reading this was pure delight. Many many congratulations on your purchase Poitive. It took a while, but I'm sure it was worth the wait for you.

I am delighted that you chose the Optra over the Manza. Heart over head, finally!

Wish you many many miles of enjoyable driving. Look forward to the photographs.
Old 22nd August 2011, 18:09   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Oh yes, an Optra is worth a TD for most.
From the reports on the Choosing thread etc, it seemed that many Optra's aren't in good condition. If you go through that thread, I think you'll also find some satisfactory Optra TDs in Bangalore. You could take the TD from the same dealer.
The Optra I TD'ed was 3 years old and felt it in terms of the interiors. There was no lag though and felt easy enough to drive inspite of the feeling of being big and bulky (though not as much as the Cruze)

And I am not sure if it was only in the TD car, but the pedals (break and clutch) felt really old (old as in my old M800). I felt a sea change of difference there between the Optra and the Cruze in that area.
Old 23rd August 2011, 03:27   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_srini View Post
WOW! What a post! Reading this was pure delight. Many many congratulations on your purchase Poitive. It took a while, but I'm sure it was worth the wait for you.

I am delighted that you chose the Optra over the Manza. Heart over head, finally!

Wish you many many miles of enjoyable driving. Look forward to the photographs.
Thank you Raj. Am glad you enjoyed it. And that you for your wishes as well. Flirting can be a lot of fun too LOL So it was an interesting wait as well.

I too am delighted to be in the Magnum. But I see it as a both head and heart choice. Took a bit of research and time to convince the head.

How are things moving for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravingmh View Post
The Optra I TD'ed was 3 years old and felt it in terms of the interiors. There was no lag though and felt easy enough to drive inspite of the feeling of being big and bulky (though not as much as the Cruze)

And I am not sure if it was only in the TD car, but the pedals (break and clutch) felt really old (old as in my old M800). I felt a sea change of difference there between the Optra and the Cruze in that area.
Interesting! So it was a pre-BS4 Optra and no lag!

Reports of turbo lag being there or not there are becoming quite curious. One thing which may be playing a role may be the fuel being used. In my experience, diesels seem to be more sensitive to premium fuel than petrols.

My experience with the pedals was probably different. Didn't feel comfortable in the Cruze at all. It was more to do with the placement, no deal pedal and the odd slope of the floor of the Cruze.

Will write more about the pedals in this thread at another time. Hope you will add your views to those comments too, Pravin.
Old 23rd August 2011, 04:08   #51
Senior - BHPian

The VVS and Me (and thankfully I wasn't alone)(please take this in lighter vein - no offense meant)

So, as per plan, I took off.

The VVS all groomed - makeup-shakeup and all yaar.
I was all excited.
Finally (again!) ready to make The VVS model
(yeah! growin' old. Aabh The VVS ke model karnae se bhi khush ho jaate hain )

On location.
The VVS too seemed excited.
Got into pose, gave me a gleaming look - all decked up.
Near perfect lighting.
Good backdrop.
Me giving a pose of myself (trying to look like a pro!)
Camera in hand.
Frame composed.
Click!

Anti-Climax.
The Camera not working again!
Why?
SD Card missing - amazing!

The VVS is crushed - emotional atyachar

The VVS: Great! (sarcasm all over)

Me: Pardon me 'The VVS' (I don't know where to hide)

The VVS: So, is this what you got me ready for? You know how much I wanted this.

Me: Yes. Me too (looking down - embarrassed)

The VVS: You think you are smart by writing some silly reports on TBhp?
You can't even click a simple picture! Even my Junior Sparky could manage that.

Me: (Not knowing where to look). Pardon me this one time. See, I even got you polished. Even did a bit of it myself - you know I don't do it to the others. You are special and you know it.

The VVS: "Drama Karta hai!!" No posing for you, even if you get on top of a water-tank with a bottle in your hand - Dharam paaji style. NO. No pics for you.

Me: Er ... (don't know what to say)

*Idea*

Me: But what about the others on Tbhp.
- Khoj was keen to see you without makeup.
- Vb doesn't want me to talk - just wants pics.
- Saurav was even talking about making me the brand ambassador. Imagine what royal treatment you'd get.
- Carfreak also has a demand too. Freak hai bhai. Khayal rakh na
- Charthom doesn't want to be seen drooling over his neighbour's Optra from his balcony - his ANHC will kill him!!!
- NoRules - Just read the name. He may get you kidnapped!!!
- Optimist - He is optimistic, despite the trouble with your cousin. You gotta to give some credit The VVS.
- MAS even defended you about your stalks.
- Ajay seems to have got a whiff of your makeup et all. Was so understanding.
- Arvi and Raj too wanted to see you. Radiokidb, Pravingmh, Nileshch, drmohit, Keyur, Vnabhi, Highflyer all have been very polite, but I guess they all want to see you too. Torquedo - he even checked your genes - how can you forget him?

Me: Pose for them. Puhleeeez. (
now in (Bhag Dhanno Bhag, Teri Basanti ki izzat ka sawaal hai, ishtyle)
Meri izzat ka sawal hai. Even Dhanno tried so hard.
(making a sorry face now).

The VVS: Hmmmmmm. Aur Meri Izzat?

Me: Prabhu is about to fast, if he doesn't get to see you
(I played a smart one here - didn't mention about the post-dinner to breakfast trick)

The VVS: Just one!
Take as many pictures with your silly phone camera (which is below my standards) but post just one. And you better make sure it is good. All those guys you mentioned - if they don't 'pass' the picture, beta teri toh ...

(sigh of relief)
Aahhhh!

Thank you The VVS
(haath jor kar pranam)

The VVS, you know you saved god (prabhu)

Last edited by Poitive : 23rd August 2011 at 04:37. Reason: Formatting, minor change.
Poitive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 04:19   #52
Senior - BHPian

Hope you like The VVS Magnum

Pssst (don't tell The VVS) : It is looking better in the picture than in real life.
(Do we send this one for matrimonial classifieds? )

Edit:
@Mods, didn't put up the picture with the previous post, as it is the first time I am uploading images to the forum and wasn't sure if the procedure would work well (was a breeze, except not being able to position the picture and text). Didn't want to take a chance with loosing the post above. (also couldn't manage to get this edit 'after' the picture)
Attached Thumbnails
Finally! “Driven!” & “Chosen a Diesel Sedan” – The VVS Magnum (Chevrolet Optra)-vvs1.jpg  

Last edited by Poitive : 23rd August 2011 at 04:34.
Poitive is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 05:31   #53
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Great picture of your VVS. I thought you have great writing skills, but now I know you are good at photography.

For the kind of write-up we have been treated with, this one picture is like seeing a poster while we expect to see the movie.

@Prabhu - count me in on your fasting.
Old 23rd August 2011, 06:29   #54
BHPian

Wonderful Poitive. Just got up and saw this. Refreshing start for the day. It was hilarious to read the conversation between you and VVS. You have a way with words.

Please post more pictures as MAS said.
Old 23rd August 2011, 06:48   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Me: But what about the others on Tbhp.
- Khoj was keen to see you without makeup.
- Vb doesn't want me to talk - just wants pics.
- Saurav was even talking about making me the brand ambassador. Imagine what royal treatment you'd get.
- Carfreak also has a demand too. Freak hai bhai. Khayal rakh na
- Charthom doesn't want to be seen drooling over his neighbour's Optra from his balcony - his ANHC will kill him!!!
- NoRules - Just read the name. He may get you kidnapped!!!
- Optimist - He is optimistic, despite the trouble with your cousin. You gotta to give some credit The VVS.
- MAS even defended you about your stalks.
- Ajay seems to have got a whiff of your makeup et all. Was so understanding.
- Arvi and Raj too wanted to see you. Radiokidb, Pravingmh, Nileshch, drmohit, Keyur, Vnabhi, Highflyer all have been very polite, but I guess they all want to see you too. Torquedo - he even checked your genes - how can you forget him?
Here it comes at last Poitive. But only a single teaser snap? But that's ok, we have waited patiently for so long, so we don't bother waiting for some more time. Poitive, block your weekend for the VVS Magnum and spend some good quality time with her. BTW, do not forget your cam's battery, memory card et all and ensure that its all working fine. You seem to have a real bad luck with your stints with the digicam.
Old 23rd August 2011, 08:37   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Of course,of course!! Also enchanted by the way he opened the veil slowly,uncertainly and bashfully. Hope you will teach him some masculine manners soon and blast out with a series of in yer face snaps rather than shy smiles and twist of the brows

Great colour!!

Last edited by charthom : 23rd August 2011 at 08:39.
Old 23rd August 2011, 08:46   #57
BHPian

Potive is behaving like our politicians with these teasers . Come on now..u cant keep the masses waiting that long.
If your teaser is anything to go by, we are in for a real treat here.
Old 23rd August 2011, 09:18   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Of course,of course!! Also enchanted by the way he opened the veil slowly,uncertainly and bashfully. Hope you will teach him some masculine manners soon and blast out with a series of in yer face snaps rather than shy smiles and twist of the brows
Great colour!!
Have been admiring Optra's elegance, if i may, for a while now. More inclined towards the Sanddrift grey, but perhaps that has more to do with the colour of my adrift personality.

However this is a great droolworthy snap. Lustrous at exactly the right places. Karl Slym, are you reading this thread and seeing this pic. Gift this man a Diesel Beat, it would do better for you than the 'Drive Khulke' ad, ROI guaranteed.

Quote:
My experience with the pedals was probably different. Didn't feel comfortable in the Cruze at all. It was more to do with the placement, no dead pedal and the odd slope of the floor of the Cruze.
Sure. I agree the pedals were placed well apart. But more later, now that I have finally shed newbie skin, whew.
Old 23rd August 2011, 10:13   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Pssst (don't tell The VVS) : It is looking better in the picture than in real life.
(Do we send this one for matrimonial classifieds? )
Okk. So we will accept this as a teaser, only a teaser. We need more man. I am more interested in interior pics.
Old 23rd August 2011, 10:37   #60
Senior - BHPian

Hello Folks,

Sorry that I am writing this in such a rush. It seems that the expectations from the pictures have risen quite a bit. Don't see myself rising to those. Had the camera really worked and given that The VVS was looking smashing last evening, there was a possibility of some good snaps. But alas, things went they way they did. Now I have two options:

1. Wait till I am able to take out as much time and get The VVS in such good shape again and then spend a lot of time clicking pictures.

2. Compromise and take the click-click-job done snaps (probably from my phone itself, as I can't find the SD card), which should not take too long.

I would prefer the first option, but see that I may get strangulated by some members here!

(The VVS just told me - maa kehti thi - sabar ka phal meetha hota hai)

(What are your thoughts?)

Baachaaaooo!!!

Ek taraf The VVS yesterday. Aabh app sabh bhi!!!!

Oh Boy! I've had it.

PS: Could try and take a middle path to the above options too.

Last edited by Poitive : 23rd August 2011 at 10:42. Reason: Formatting. Some modifications

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks