Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2011, 11:55   #151
BHPian

Re: Finally! “Driven!” & “Chosen a Diesel Sedan” – The VVS Magnum (Chevrolet Optra)

Hey, Poitive, back to your thread after quite a few days. The B/W photos look great! The one thing I have most liked about the Optra are the Escalade/Cadillac-inspired killer tail lights. Your photos have brought the design out very well. But would love to see some colour photos too.

Just a matter of personal liking -- I loved the pre-SRV angular frontal design of the Optra more than the current curvy one.
Old 6th September 2011, 11:31   #152
BANNED

Re: Finally! “Driven!” & “Chosen a Diesel Sedan” – The VVS Magnum (Chevrolet Optra)

Here I am a couple of days after the much awaited TD.
After reading all the review and the new life Poitive have given the Optra Magnum with his command-able and unbelievable researching of the machine I had to take the TD as I was fallen for the cars capabilities.

I booked for the TD and they responded quickly to schedule one within 2 days from KLM motors Chennai.
It was a Olympic white Diesel 2.0 LT TCDi which was brought to my work for the TD.
2 Well dressed men who knew enough about the car welcomed me and took me for the TD.
Was told they had plans of shutting down this car, but due to the newly found interest for diesel cars its sale has gone up and they no more plan to discontinue this model.
It takes just 5 days for delivery.

First thought from outside, yeah the car looks big but very much an old model
The doors were heavy and closed with a good thud.
The car was indeed very spacious, in fact the biggest sedan of this price bracket.
I fitted very well on the seat with good leg room.
Head room was nice.
Completely impressed by the space, i sit on the co-passenger seat for some distance.

Switching on to the driver seat.
What a comfortable place to be.
Adjustable to choice.
Just a plain simple console.
The CD player did not match with the dash board - wood finish. Was an odd sight.
Gear lever comfortably positioned
I slip into the first gear and accelerate, the car slowly starts responding to the gas after a slight lag.
It feels like a well floored machine, heavy to be precise.
Steering gels with the overall feel of the car, not like the Vento which had a heavy wheel for a light body.
Horn placed uncomfortably for Indian road usage.
It drives like a boat on a silent sea even on rough roads.
Enjoyed the drive of about 5-6 km on rough patches at speed of about 50-60.
Did not feel any discomfort
The engine noise was comparatively higher than the Vento and Verna but very much quieter from inside.
The lag on acceleration is good for a smooth ride, but not for quick maneuverability inside city.
Picks up fast and ready to provide remarkable high speeds on highway.

Moved on to the back seat and what a spacious place to be.
The boot was comparatively smaller.

My Final take (My personal opinion, no offense)

Very spacious, comfortable car.
Smaller boot
Very old model - External looks don't get you any head on the road, could make a wrong statement of your personality, the dash board is not encouraging, you feel old inside this car. No scope for improvement/remodeling by yourself
I was taken back to my travel in a Van during my school days.
The engine lacks to make a statement in city traffic.

Its a highway machine which I may rent for that purpose.
Would have chose this if I was peaceful, silent, sober and older.
Driver driven car, with smooth acceleration, helps sailing inside the city on the back seat with no possibility for sudden heart aching moves.
Expensive on the pocket- Running cost, future maintenance. (owned an opel astra during its end of days)

Decided it is not for me to own but would love to travel on it.
Old 6th September 2011, 12:45   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redface View Post

Was told they had plans of shutting down this car, but due to the newly found interest for diesel cars its sale has gone up and they no more plan to discontinue this model.
Somebody put this out there in BOLD.

Quote:
The engine noise was comparatively higher than the Vento and Verna but very much quieter from inside.
Maybe there was some issue with the maintenance of the TD vehicle. Don't remember the Verna from the outside, but the Vento (even a new one) makes a hell lot of a noise on the outside (sounds like a Sumo) - definitely more than the Optra.
Inside the cabin, the Optra is the most silent!

Quote:

Expensive on the pocket- Running cost, future maintenance. (owned an opel astra during its end of days)
The running cost of the Optra is not high, neither is the maintenance, unless you blow up something major! The Astra was an expensive car - and if I am correct, was not manufactured here. The Optra is made here and parts are cheaper even compared to the Corsa!

Check this for my first service expense.
Old 6th September 2011, 20:22   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Here I am a couple of days after the much awaited TD.
After reading all the review and the new life Poitive have given the Optra Magnum with his command-able and unbelievable researching of the machine I had to take the TD as I was fallen for the cars capabilities.
he worked hard indeed. GM must be very thankful to him.

Quote:
First thought from outside, yeah the car looks big but very much an old model
It's a clean timeless car, much unlike the current design fads which might go away.

Quote:
The doors were heavy and closed with a good thud.
The car was indeed very spacious, in fact the biggest sedan of this price bracket.
I fitted very well on the seat with good leg room.
Head room was nice.
Completely impressed by the space, i sit on the co-passenger seat for some distance.
Switching on to the driver seat.
What a comfortable place to be.
For the above lines, it's spot on with what fellow business owners in our industrial area have commented on the Magnum. Totally floored. And at a price which makes eminent sense to business owners or anyone else for that matter.

Quote:
Just a plain simple console.
The CD player did not match with the dash board - wood finish. Was an odd sight.
It's a standard Double DIN. Choose whatever you want and fit right in. Next to impossible in the NFS and the Fluidic.

Quote:
IMHO the Vento is a lot noisier on the outside and the inside. This is comparable or better than the Fluidic Verna.

Quote:
The lag on acceleration is good for a smooth ride, but not for quick maneuverability inside city.
racedynamics / petes / blistens? Today for the first time I was in a tearing hurry and flew past everything on road in the stock condition. I've driven 800+ kms on this very sedately and it feels wonderful to have the backup power. The lag is the same with a lot lesser torque with Fluidic Verna. It's just a matter of time before you get used to it. Actually it's very convenient in driving in crowded conditions.

Quote:
Very spacious, comfortable car.
Smaller boot
Very old model - External looks don't get you any head on the road, could make a wrong statement of your personality, the dash board is not encouraging, you feel old inside this car. No scope for improvement/remodeling by yourself
I was taken back to my travel in a Van during my school days.
The engine lacks to make a statement in city traffic.
Oh come on, at least take a good test drive and make an assesment later.

Quote:
Would have chose this if I was peaceful, silent, sober and older.
Driver driven car, with smooth acceleration, helps sailing inside the city on the back seat with no possibility for sudden heart aching moves.
Decided it is not for me to own but would love to travel on it.
Of course, it's an individual's perspective and choice. Good luck in whatever choice you arrive at.

Is it the older guys who prefer the car? maybe the one thing missing or not researched by Poitive is the age profile of owners. is a poll in order?

Last edited by optimist : 6th September 2011 at 20:31.
Old 6th September 2011, 21:07   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
Is it the older guys who prefer the car? maybe the one thing missing or not researched by Poitive is the age profile of owners. is a poll in order?
Absolutely

I am very keenly interested to know the average age of an Optra owner. As mentioned by Redface in his TD report, this car will tick all the boxes for senior citizens (who prefer the creature comforts inside the car over the external looks), where the Optra is miles ahead.
Old 6th September 2011, 21:44   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Absolutely

I am very keenly interested to know the average age of an Optra owner. As mentioned by Redface in his TD report, this car will tick all the boxes for senior citizens (who prefer the creature comforts inside the car over the external looks), where the Optra is miles ahead.
hey, it will be at least two+ decades before i can call myself a senior citizen. One of the reasons for which I bought it because of it's clean looks and the sofa at the rear. Kids love it. Guess it does not appeal to a young buyer in the twenties.
Old 7th September 2011, 09:57   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey, it will be at least two+ decades before i can call myself a senior citizen. One of the reasons for which I bought it because of it's clean looks and the sofa at the rear. Kids love it. Guess it does not appeal to a young buyer in the twenties.
No offence here mate & I appreciate your decision. I believe I have wrongly used the word "senior citizens", what I really meant was elderly folks (on the north side of 40) who have a family of 4-5 people would have nothing to complain abut Optra.

Though I am half a decade shy of 40, I too like no-nonsense, spacious machines like the Optra. I am a family of 5 (parents, wifey & kid). My 2 primary concerns, which are going against the Optra as of now are:
1. Heavy machine (1370 kilos), how easy/difficult would it be to manouver on the congested city roads.
2. Serviceability (availability of spares)

Another one though not so critical, cannot be neglected. A 2 litres engine (though powerful & torquey) compared to the 1.6, would definitely be more thirsty. This can however be compensated by the spacious interiors
Old 7th September 2011, 11:27   #158
BHPian

Quote:
No offence here mate & I appreciate your decision. I believe I have wrongly used the word "senior citizens", what I really meant was elderly folks (on the north side of 40) who have a family of 4-5 people would have nothing to complain abut Optra.

Though I am half a decade shy of 40, I too like no-nonsense, spacious machines like the Optra. I am a family of 5 (parents, wifey & kid). My 2 primary concerns, which are going against the Optra as of now are:
1. Heavy machine (1370 kilos), how easy/difficult would it be to manouver on the congested city roads.

Another one though not so critical, cannot be neglected. A 2 litres engine (though powerful & torquey) compared to the 1.6, would definitely be more thirsty. This can however be compensated by the spacious interiors
Hey no offence taken. I know you are the person who is using the thanks button a lot I guess it's only those kind of people who see the optra's worth.

Yes the FE will be hit a little comparing to a 1.4 Fiesta TDCi or a 1.3 diesel but it's not that big a bug burden. I got 12 in city stop and go conditions with 100% AC. Infact this handles smoother compared to all others.

You will be the best judge. Take many TD's in all conditions. Regarding spares, GM has to make spares available. Infact they sourced & replaced my steering rack (a rare spare requirement) which had a manufacturing fault in 24 + 4 hours respectively. I'd say that's really fast considering the work involved.
optimist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 11:35   #159
BANNED

Ho no fellow mates. Everything was completely in my own opinion.
I was not suggesting anything on the target population for this car.
Age is all how you feel at heart and mind.
I bet motor-heads are always younger at heart than in reality compared to some very young couch potatoes.

Its a very refined, spacious car for anyone who ticks
Comfort over looks
Highway drive ability to city drive
Driver driven to self driven
Present maintenance to future
Redface is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 13:17   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey no offence taken. I know you are the person who is using the thanks button a lot I guess it's only those kind of people who see the optra's worth.
Thanks & no doubt about Optra's worth

Quote:
Yes the FE will be hit a little comparing to a 1.4 Fiesta TDCi or a 1.3 diesel but it's not that big a bug burden. I got 12 in city stop and go conditions with 100% AC. Infact this handles smoother compared to all others.
That is quite encouraging. Need to check that out how it behaves in city driving conditions (I have absolutely no doubt about its highway manners though).

Quote:
You will be the best judge. Take many TD's in all conditions. Regarding spares, GM has to make spares available. Infact they sourced & replaced my steering rack (a rare spare requirement) which had a manufacturing fault in 24 + 4 hours respectively. I'd say that's really fast considering the work involved.
Good to know that spares should not be a concern. However such issues like your steering rack replacement, or Sreeji Nairs gear box opening, or the SENSOR AND A/C PROBLEMS faced by DNW makes one a bit jittery.

Quote:
I bet motor-heads are always younger at heart than in reality compared to some very young couch potatoes.
Wll said Redface.

Quote:
Its a very refined, spacious car for anyone who ticks Comfort over looks, Highway drive ability to city drive, Driver driven to self driven, Present maintenance to future
Got your first three points, but could not make out what do you mean by " Present maintenance to future". Does this imply that as the car will age its maintenance costs would exponentially increase?
Old 7th September 2011, 16:27   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely

I am definitely nowhere near being called a senior citizen (at the the heart or otherwise), and I just love the car. On the other hand, my dad who will be a senior citizen in a few years also loves this car. So I don't suppose age is a factor here.
I have driven the car sedately, normally and also in highly spirited moods, and the car has always responded perfectly - it actually dances to your tune - once you get used to the hydraulic steering and understand how to circumvent the lag, overtaking in the city and even zig-zagging is not an issue at all!

Quote:
The engine pulling the heavy load is a monster, so the load as such is not what can create an issue on the congested roads.
The perceived effect is caused by :
  • Hydraulic Power Steering
  • Soft suspensions
  • Turbo lag
But the word to note here is "perceived". When you are not used to the Optra, these things may inhibit you (hence all the reports during the TD). But once you get used to this, you quickly learn to adjust. The HPS with the soft suspension makes the vehicle feel sluggish, but that goes away soon. You also learn to downshift at the right time. See this post of mine for a brief overview.

Quote:
Spares are available for the next 10 years atleast even if the production stops right now (NOT HAPPENING). Service costs and spares cost is also not high as far as the regular serviceable parts go!
Check this for the 1st service report.

Quote:
I have got between 11 and 16 across the 4 months that I have driven it, without any attempt at saving fuel.
My dad drives in a more composed manner (just one long drive, about 300 kms - average speed 120, max - 160) and he got 16.8
All drives with AC on, regular diesel, tyre pressure at 29 psi.

For the power, I find it great! (my Swift petrol used to give me max 12, so I am very happy).
keyur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2011, 20:00   #162
BHPian

Bump. Poitive, where are you? Please share more updates on the car.
Old 18th September 2011, 20:07   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Bump. Poitive, where are you? Please share more updates on the car.
Yes, even I am a bit perplexed as to where is Poitive hiding all these days. Hope everything is fine with him. Until his last post there wouldn't have been a single day when he has not posted a message.

Come on Poitive we want to hear more @ your VVS.Are you listening?
Old 19th September 2011, 10:55   #164
Senior - BHPian

For those considering a Magnum as their next car, the following may be of use

Poitive mate, where are you? I hope everything is fine with you and the VVS. All of us here are waiting for updates from you.
Old 23rd October 2011, 22:01   #165

Hi all,

After having driven my Baleno for close to 5 years (enjoying every moment of it), decided its time to trade in for a new car. The criterias that I had for my next upgade were - diesel engine, bigger in size and engine capacity and less than 12L. Bingo! And we have a winner - Magnum Optra. Thanx to this forum again for helping make up my mind as you did 5 years back when i bought my Belano and whatever went in it. Been recommending this forum to all my freinds whenvere they have faced a dilemma to decide a car.

I am doing my first TD of the Magnum LT next week (though I have already made up my mind to buy it). Need help in few things though:
1) I have the red color in mind, but open to suggestion which would suit this car better.
2) I am also looking for suggestions on upsizing the tyres to 205/R/15 (will it enhance looks and performance significantly)- price (post exchange of stock tyres) & brand (currently use yokos 195/R/14 on my Baleno, and they look awesome...all thanx to T-BHP).
3) Which is the best dealer I can approach in Blr (need to get the ex-showroom price down to Rs.9lacs, ok to forgo other freebees)

Thanks to all in advance......

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks