Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2011, 02:25   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Finally! “Driven!” & “Chosen a Diesel Sedan” – The VVS Magnum (Chevrolet Optra)

EXPERIENCING THE VVS MAGNUM

Finally! “Driven!” & “Chosen a Diesel Sedan” – The VVS Magnum (Chevrolet Optra)-vvs8.jpg

I too wanted to be a Coupe!

From this angle, The VVS Magnum seems to have that coupe like slant at the back.
Since this is only an illusion in this picture,
the rear seat really doesn't have issues with headroom.

Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2011, 03:05   #122
Senior - BHPian

Experiencing The VVS Magnum

Finally! “Driven!” & “Chosen a Diesel Sedan” – The VVS Magnum (Chevrolet Optra)-vvs9.jpg

Sideways!

(Classical proportions?)

I like the proportions of this one
What do others think?
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2011, 06:49   #123
Senior - BHPian

Re: Experiencing The VVS Magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post

Stunning pictures those Poitive. Loved all your "Experiencing the VVS Magnum" posts. I was waiting for these pictures for so long. IMO, nothing completes an Ownership Thread or Review of a car than a good set of pictures. Pictures do really let the emotions flow. And here, after a lot of teasers and a really long wait, you have it in your thread for us - not just good ones, but some brilliant brochure-quality pictures. Keep them coming.
Old 30th August 2011, 12:25   #124
BHPian

Re: Finally! “Driven!” & “Chosen a Diesel Sedan” – The VVS Magnum (Chevrolet Optra)

Quote:
Booking and Delivery Experience
Wouldn’t like to talk much about this one.

Went through this thread, and I found the cricket part a bit too much . And you do write really very extensive posts!

I was going through this thread with the specific requirement of finding the purchase details. Please post the negotiations, the deal you got, the discounts, accessories and the final price. That will actually help....
Old 30th August 2011, 13:40   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Now this is good. Expressive pictures indeed. Awesome!
I think we should move the the 70's now
Thanks VB. I presume you meant that we should move away from the 70's show. There are a few more b/w snaps to go. The car really looks much better in b/w in the pictures. So do allow me to carry on with it for a bit - to share the excitement and joy of how this one looks

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Stunning pictures those Poitive. Loved all your "Experiencing the VVS Magnum" posts. I was waiting for these pictures for so long. IMO, nothing completes an Ownership Thread or Review of a car than a good set of pictures. Pictures do really let the emotions flow. And here, after a lot of teasers and a really long wait, you have it in your thread for us - not just good ones, but some brilliant brochure-quality pictures. Keep them coming.
Thanks arvi86. Am gals you loved the "Experiencing The VVS Magnum" posts. Will just write a bit about the thought behind how this thread was structured. It is only how this thread has progressed, which told me how much importance pictures have for readers. But as I got to taking, improving and posting the pictures, it even got me excited!

Hope people aren't disappointed, as there has been a longer than anticipated wait in the pictures. Am trying to make them worth the wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid View Post
Went through this thread, and I found the cricket part a bit too much . And you do write really very extensive posts!
Firstly, thanks for the feedback blueorchid. This is so much more useful than people just rating the thread as bad or terrible (seems many have rated it such).

I had realized that for people who aren't into cricket may find it needless, but also did want to share why the car was being called what it was. Also added a line in the end of the post before the cricket one as follows:

Quote:
In case you aren’t much into cricket, you may want to skip to the next section, however without an understanding of the VVS in the title. Also, this is not in any specific context of the current Ind-Eng series, but far more general.
Quote:
I was going through this thread with the specific requirement of finding the purchase details. Please post the negotiations, the deal you got, the discounts, accessories and the final price. That will actually help....
Had specifically mentioned why I had not mentioned the details mate. It was not a typical case. Now that doesn't solve your purpose. Or for that matter others who may look out at this thread for the price. Will just write a post about this topic mate. Hope it'll help.

@Mods, am putting up the below in a separate post for better structuring. If anyone else has a similar query, it would give me a suitable link to guide that person to. If you think merging would work better, please merge.
Old 30th August 2011, 13:43   #126
Senior - BHPian

Price negotiations and deals on the Optra Magnum

This is a question a few people seem to have. Have had some PM and related interactions about this before too. So this is for the benefit of those who are considering to purchase the Magnum, or for that matter any car.

Price Negotiations, Deals one can get etc.

This is something which changes every now and then based on market forces and opportunities. There is a thread on Tbhp to specifically cater to this need. For your convenience, the link is: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ers-deals.html

@mdsaab is very active on the thread and usually ends up helping many people to save more than a few bucks.

Rather than my personal experience, will share what I have gathered from various talks, without naming anyone.

From what I picked up, the discounts on the Magnum have been in the region of 30-40k, which can be in various forms. If you add accessories, you can take off a rough 20-40% of their cost (the very rough dealer margin) from their MRP to calculate your true discount. They usually offer a discount of "free insurance" to start with. It is about 27-28k IIRC. If you have worked out a full deal with them and then talk about not taking the insurance from them for some reason, they would usually reduce the discount by about 10k.

Accessories which are usually supposed to be easier for the dealer to give:
  • Under-body Anti-rust coating
  • Teflon coating
  • Reverse Sensors
  • Body cover
Mats and number plate etc are anyway included in "logistics" charges!

Factors influencing the discount you can get
  • The number of unsold Magnums on the dealers account. From what I understand based on some discussions with friends and forum interaction, dealers are pushed to pick up a certain number (or ratio) of cars periodically. If the dealer is not being able to sell those, he is likely to offer a good discount, as the cost of holding the product (interest, space, likelihood of damage, stuck with an old production car etc.) is not too less. This is the main reason the discounts will vary from dealer to dealer.
  • Some dealers, as a matter of unsaid policy, will go for offering more discounts to get more sales.
  • Your not seeming in a terrible rush, while still seeming like a very serious buyer. If you turn up with your family, you seem more serious than just going alone, IMO.
  • Flashing the chequebook! (mdsaab is a pro at getting this to work - now you know where you can get him to speak about this)
  • Asking for the right freebies (i.e. ones which cost the dealer less, but the MRP is more) after having gone through other price negotiations. As mdsaab says, ask for the body cover in the end.
  • Personal rapport.
  • At times, pitting one dealer against the other may go in your favour.
Also bear in mind that initial discount isn't everything. Having a good rapport with the showroom is worth a bit too.

Hope this helps. IMO, the above may be of more use than just informing the price that I got.

PS: Had plans to writing more about how the thread is structured and why, but will have to leave that for a later time.
Old 30th August 2011, 13:53   #127
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Excellent pictures of your Magnum.

Did you "smoke" the tail lamps?

The discounts that the dealer offered me upfront for LT are as follows

- 25 K discount from Ex-showroom price
- 30% discount on Insurance (savings worked out to 10K)
- Reverse Parking sensors - Free

OTR worked out to be 10.6 Lakhs for the LT
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2011, 14:17   #128
BHPian

Quote:

Firstly, thanks for the feedback blueorchid. This is so much more useful than people just rating the thread as bad or terrible (seems many have rated it such).
Since you like straightforward feedback, I will give you some more

Quote:
This is a question a few people seem to have. Have had some PM and related interactions about this before too. So this is for the benefit of those who are considering to purchase the Magnum, or for that matter any car.

From what I picked up, the discounts on the Magnum have been in the region of 30-40k, which can be in various forms.....

Factors influencing the discount you can get

Whatever you have written is common knowledge. These things are known by almost every tom dick and harry in the market for a car. It's the clinchers that we are looking out for.

I ask a simple question, and what I get is a very long post, which is practically of no use to me as all that you have told is already known!

I wanted to know what deal you got - a simple 'can't share it for personal reasons' would have sufficed and saved both me and you quite some time.

Don't take this wrongly, but I joined this forum to be able to get some useful info so as to be able to have a decent conversation with my gear head of a husband - so when I see something like this which just fills a lot of pages without having much use, it puts me off. (That's straightforward feedback from me..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post

Now this is what I would call useful or helpful - no flowery writing, no beating around the bush - directly what I need - to the point!
blueorchid is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th August 2011, 19:52   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
<cut> (That's straightforward feedback from me..)
It's possible that you may have not read all of the threads which has his posts but it's his style. He's very generous with words.

Quote:

The standard discount I got was 30K. No freebies. Paid 1500 for mats, mudguards, number plate, perfume etc. Chose not to install the reverse sensors which was at 2500 as i did not feel it necessary. This car has a good rear view unlike the much hyped newer cars.

(The following might have been appropriate in the insurance thread but since it's connected with the optra and your search for information, so here it goes.)

Their free insurance supposed to be for ~30k was also removed from the OTR cost for the reason below.

I paid 22360 for the insurance on the LT. How? I used a 35% NCB and the private agent reduced the own damage base calculation from 3.44% to 1.72%. The own damage and the third party liability came to approximately 15k on the standard comprehensive package.

The rest was used up for the optional TataAIG Platinum Package which covers me for a restore to invoice with 5% depreciation (IDV) in case of a total loss + a PA cover for 5 people for 2 lakhs each both of which need not have been taken. Negotiate hard or get insurance with a private sales agent. The showroom people were cribbing but hey it's my money.

Last edited by optimist : 30th August 2011 at 20:00.
Old 30th August 2011, 20:17   #130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks VB. I presume you meant that we should move away from the 70's show. There are a few more b/w snaps to go. The car really looks much better in b/w in the pictures. So do allow me to carry on with it for a bit - to share the excitement and joy of how this one looks
Sure, self-indulgence is no sin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive
This is so much more useful than people just rating the thread as bad or terrible (seems many have rated it such).
Should you be worried about that? The thread has already filled in 9 pages in these few days!
Old 31st August 2011, 02:45   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Excellent pictures of your Magnum.

Did you "smoke" the tail lamps?
Thanks MAS mate. Any change of heart from the NFF you are going for? LOL

Not sure what you meant by smoking the tail lamps. Nothing done to the tail lamps of The VVS - not physically and not in the picture.

BTW, there is no area specific editing that has been done to the pictures till now (don't think I'll get down to doing it later as well), except the number plate.

Quote:
Thanks. I do mean it, even though it almost seems like a complaint, atleast there IS feedback !!! LOL

Quote:
Whatever you have written is common knowledge. These things are known by almost every tom dick and harry in the market for a car. It's the clinchers that we are looking out for.

I ask a simple question, and what I get is a very long post, which is practically of no use to me as all that you have told is already known!

I wanted to know what deal you got - a simple 'can't share it for personal reasons' would have sufficed and saved both me and you quite some time.
@blueorchid:

Will 'try' to keep it short. Hope you won't take it wrongly

1. The post wasn't specifically for you, but more general, as already mentioned. More about the others who have contacted me about the Optra, including prices.

2. I thought the part of my post you quoted was a polite "can't share". You still asked me again; again on a public forum!

3. Am surprised at your question, if what I said was already known and common knowledge. Especially about the dealers being pushed to pick up a certain number of cars. Given that, discounts and deals would vary based on dealer, the 'unsold' stock with him, the time of purchase and other parameters, so no specific deal price should be of much relevance. We have had reports of Magnums on the forum being picked for 20-25k to 43k discounts (without corporate discount).

4. If you spend some time on the forum, you would be surprised at what can be termed as "common knowledge". Spending some time on the thread I liked above may really change your opinion.

5. The appropriate thread to discuss prices and discounts possible for new cars was quoted above.

6. I do write long and often in ample detail. It may not be of any use or information to you specifically and hence may bug you. But with due respect, every thread is not meant to cater to every need (wrong thread for a discount and price discussion anyway). This one is about me sharing my experiences with this car. I enjoy attention to detail, which is why I bought the Optra Magnum

Quote:
Don't take this wrongly, but I joined this forum to be able to get some useful info so as to be able to have a decent conversation with my gear head of a husband - so when I see something like this which just fills a lot of pages without having much use, it puts me off. (That's straightforward feedback from me..)
7. And aah! I realize you are a lady!!!! No wonder you don't like the thread (and talk about cricket!). Ask your husband, who is a gearhead, to read it. He may enjoy it. But thanks for the feedback ma'am. I do mean it.

Quote:
Now this is what I would call useful or helpful - no flowery writing, no beating around the bush - directly what I need - to the point!
I wonder what use.

PS: One reason I wrote the post then, was to make you feel more welcome to this forum (I think I saw you being only 2-3 posts old). We are quite a welcoming and decent bunch of (mainly) guys here at TBhp. Even if we write long.

PPS (Edit): Just read on another thread. You were looking for reasons against the Optra and to go for the Cruze. Good places for that information may be sreejinair's thread on the problems with his 10 day old Optra and threads of Cruze owners, who rejected the Optra and went in for the Cruze.

@MAS, I appreciate your taking the time and effort to make the post, mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
It's possible that you may have not read all of the threads which has his posts but it's his style. He's very generous with words.
LOL! Words only?!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Sure, self-indulgence is no sin
Self indulgence!!!! LOL!!!!!!

Quote:
Should you be worried about that? The thread has already filled in 9 pages in these few days!
Ah! When one's thought process gets a bit wayward, friends show the right perspective! Thanks VB mate.

Was shown to me by @Vishwas before, when I was getting over enthusiastic about getting the correct power and torque specs of the Optra (with @Torquedo in mind) when it would not have made any difference in my purchase decision. Was probably on the Chosen thread or his ownership review.

OT: Does anyone have any idea of where Vishwas is? No news or updates from him for quite a while.

Last edited by Poitive : 31st August 2011 at 03:00. Reason: Typo, Added note about Cruze
Old 31st August 2011, 04:30   #132
Senior - BHPian

Finally! “Driven!” & “Chosen a Diesel Sedan” – The VVS Magnum (Chevrolet Optra)-vvs10a.jpg

Character
(Just love how The VVS is shaped above the tail lights -
how the curve joins into the boot and carries across to the front)

Finally! “Driven!” & “Chosen a Diesel Sedan” – The VVS Magnum (Chevrolet Optra)-vvs10b.jpg

You can say that again!
(Er... See that again.
Also love the lights themselves)
Has anyone else liked this part of the Optra?
(it was the same in the Pre-Magnum Optras ones as well)

Poitive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 06:28   #133
BHPian

Re: Experiencing The VVS Magnum

Quote:
Has anyone else liked this part of the Optra?
(it was the same in the Pre-Magnum Optras ones as well)
Never noticed that curve. Thanks for pointing it out, looks exquisite. Its all in the details.
Old 31st August 2011, 13:49   #134
BHPian

Quote:

Here is the deal i got:

Initially they offered free Insurance but I asked them to reduce the price from ex-works so that I save a little more in taxes. I took quotes from 2 dealers and negotiated with both and finally decided on KUn Chevrolet.

Final deal: 40k discount. OTR price of LT Magnum - 10.63 lakhs.

Freebies: Mats, mud flaps, teflon coating, body cover.
Old 31st August 2011, 15:32   #135
Senior - BHPian

Finally! “Driven!” & “Chosen a Diesel Sedan” – The VVS Magnum (Chevrolet Optra)-vvs11.jpg

We All Carry Our Load!
(The VVS Seems to be thinking on seeing that man)

Can't have enough of this curve/cut.
To me, it exudes character. Adds a whole lot to why I like this car so much from the rear.
This design has been there for about a decade, still has so much appeal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks