Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2011, 22:37   #166
BHPian

Re: Finally! “Driven!” & “Chosen a Diesel Sedan” – The VVS Magnum (Chevrolet Optra)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qondor View Post
Hi all,

After having driven my Baleno for close to 5 years (enjoying every moment of it), decided its time to trade in for a new car. The criterias that I had for my next upgade were - diesel engine, bigger in size and engine capacity and less than 12L. Bingo! And we have a winner - Magnum Optra. Thanx to this forum again for helping make up my mind as you did 5 years back when i bought my Belano and whatever went in it. Been recommending this forum to all my freinds whenvere they have faced a dilemma to decide a car.

I am doing my first TD of the Magnum LT next week (though I have already made up my mind to buy it). Need help in few things though:
1) I have the red color in mind, but open to suggestion which would suit this car better.
2) I am also looking for suggestions on upsizing the tyres to 205/R/15 (will it enhance looks and performance significantly)- price (post exchange of stock tyres) & brand (currently use yokos 195/R/14 on my Baleno, and they look awesome...all thanx to T-BHP).
3) Which is the best dealer I can approach in Blr (need to get the ex-showroom price down to Rs.9lacs, ok to forgo other freebees)

Thanks to all in advance......
Hi,

The Optra is a very good car no doubt, i own a 1.6 petrol. But my suggestion to you would be to try some other newer model in other brand. Spending 10 Lakhs on a Optra is not worth much now. I know a newer optra car will not cause any problems. If you have made up your mind, All the best it a great car.

Some -ve of optra as i see are

1. Pathetic Resale values, i have even seen diesel selling for 5 lakhs. Good petrol one's costs 2.5 to 3 lakhs.

2. Parts are on higher side, for older cars, just in case the model gets discontinued you will have hard time getting the parts, forget about the money.

3.Parts are expensive, for example if some one broke your left or right rear view mirrors its going to cost Rs 6000. AC Cooling coil costs 17k, compressor 50k. 60k. service timing belt service costs 22k+, these are the prices of petrol variant.

4. My car met with an accident and its rear quarter panel had to be replaced, they said it will take 1 month to acquire and will costs 30k +. i told them i cant wait for 1 month with my car in garage and asked them to repair instead.

5. Ingress/out very hard for older parents.

5. Brand image is not as good as Honda or some other.

I see your budget as 12 lakhs, you could try XUV 500, verna, vento or even stretch to cruze.

I am very happy with my petrol model, but i have to be prepared for these kind of expenses. But if i am in the market to buy a new car today, i wouldn't buy it just for the sake of engine.
krish82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2011, 12:19   #167
BHPian

Re: Finally! “Driven!” & “Chosen a Diesel Sedan” – The VVS Magnum (Chevrolet Optra)

Poitive; this is not a good or a wonderful thread started by you, this is simply a FANTASTIC thread !

I just came across it as I was trying to point the link to your previous decision making threads to a colleague who is interested in buying an Optra Diesel from the GM stables, but not the Cruze.

It is wonderful to see that you have included extensive details of your test drives during the decision making process.

I am glued for more updates.

And yes, finally Congratulations on the car.
Old 24th October 2011, 12:55   #168

Thanx krish for giving your inputs, a different perspective from what others have mentioned in the post. I have already considered most of the points highlighted by you, I am in a similar state to what I was is while purchasing my Baleno(one of the last few to be sold in Blr) and I dont regret it. Hopefully wouldnt have a different experience now. Cant consider Cruze as it is out of my budget so is XUV (not into SUVs anyway). I was definitely sold on Vento, but after reading so much about Magnum vs Vento (american muscle vs european precision), I am more inclined towards Magnum now (VFM perspective too).

Still looking forward to the queries I have posted though.
Old 24th October 2011, 13:56   #169
BANNED

Quote:

I picked up my Optra on the 20th, here are my 2 cents on your questions:

1) If you are going for LT, the best shade to me is the White Diamond, mind you it has a 10K premium on the pricing.

For the LS - Sanddrift Grey.

I have picked up a Sanddrift Grey LS.

2) Retain your size, change the brand, move to MRF ZV2K.

3) No clue on this as I'm based out of Delhi.

Happy Motoring !!
Torquedo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2011, 16:18   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Thanx krish for giving your inputs, a different perspective from what others have mentioned in the post. I have already considered most of the points highlighted by you, I am in a similar state to what I was is while purchasing my Baleno(one of the last few to be sold in Blr) and I dont regret it. Hopefully wouldnt have a different experience now. Cant consider Cruze as it is out of my budget so is XUV (not into SUVs anyway). I was definitely sold on Vento, but after reading so much about Magnum vs Vento (american muscle vs european precision), I am more inclined towards Magnum now (VFM perspective too).

Hmm.. So you have finalized your mind on Optra thats good.

1. Color: I prefer black, a black with neat transparent glass and alloys will look awesome. But its upto you. I always feel my Black Hyundai Accent looked better than my Mica color optra. I myself sometime think of recoloring my optra to black. Check the Jet black photos of Rudhra sen's optra in the forum

2. Tyres: I have Yokohama on my getz, and those are some superb tyres for the money. My Getz sticks on to the road and now has amazing ride comfort. Optra has Bridgestone B 250 though. I wll rate Yokohamas higher than the 250's. Just check if 205 fits optra without touching fenders. Exchange price may be 2k per tyre, i think other members may help better.

3.Dealer: I think the best dealer for Chevy in chennai is Sundaram motors, not sure about Bangalore.

Last edited by krish82 : 24th October 2011 at 16:21.
krish82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2011, 21:07   #171
BHPian

Quote:
I am doing my first TD of the Magnum LT next week (though I have already made up my mind to buy it).
Please do put up your TD experience.

Quote:
Need help in few things though:
1) I have the red color in mind, but open to suggestion which would suit this car better.
Colours are purely person dependent, but if I were in your position now, I would have gone for White Diamond.

Quote:
3) Which is the best dealer I can approach in Blr
I have spoken to Trident (Kalyan Nagar) more than once for TD of both Magnum & Cruze, they were good. This interaction was purely for TD and it was good, no buying experience, so don't go with my opinion alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish82 View Post

3.Parts are expensive, for example if some one broke your left or right rear view mirrors its going to cost Rs 6000. AC Cooling coil costs 17k, compressor 50k. 60k. service timing belt service costs 22k+, these are the prices of petrol variant.
Thanks for this information as this will definitely help in the purchase decisions of guys like me who are actively considering it. My another consideration is diesel Linea.

Last edited by Jakku : 24th October 2011 at 21:19. Reason: To correct the "quoting"
Old 24th October 2011, 22:54   #172
BHPian

Quote:

1. Pathetic Resale values, i have even seen diesel selling for 5 lakhs. Good petrol one's costs 2.5 to 3 lakhs.
Try finding a Magnum and then post. I will not sell for any reason for the next 8-10 years. It's whatever I wanted and much more. I took delivery of the Magnum after booking and cancelling the fluidic first and then the fiesta titanium.

Quote:
2. Parts are on higher side, for older cars, just in case the model gets discontinued you will have hard time getting the parts, forget about the money.
I doubt it. GM is required to maintain it for a period of 10 years after it stops production. It has been confirmed that they have no plans of stopping the production of the Magnum.

Quote:
3.Parts are expensive, for example if some one broke your left or right rear view mirrors its going to cost Rs 6000.
Someone on the fluidic threads has confirmed that the orvm costs 6k where as the entire mirror assy of the optra is 2200. Also the indicator insert can be changed for Rs. 1200 + 150 labour and is available individually as a left or right. Go figure which is cheaper.

(For the benefit of those who did not know, the ORVM of the Magnum does not fold electrically but it is fully adjustable electrically. For the past 2 months that I have had the Magnum, I had needed to fold only the right ORVM a few times manually which is not a problem at all)

Quote:
But if i am in the market to buy a new car today, i wouldn't buy it just for the sake of engine.
Buy it after determining what you really really need in a car, the comfort level and the sheer pleasure in driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
Poitive; this is not a good or a wonderful thread started by you, this is simply a FANTASTIC thread !

I just came across it as I was trying to point the link to your previous decision making threads to a colleague who is interested in buying an Optra Diesel from the GM stables, but not the Cruze.

It is wonderful to see that you have included extensive details of your test drives during the decision making process.

I am glued for more updates.

And yes, finally Congratulations on the car.
Sugeeta, Congrats on the Titanium+. BTW you have a nicely written thread. I want you to answer one point honestly. You have remarked that you are very happy with the fiesta console. I was also the first person to start the car and enjoy the dash/audio/ac and fiddle around everything when the car was displayed in the showroom for 10-15 mins because the battery needed to be charged and i was around. I found it nice too.

But can you put some value in figures (minutes) to the time you spend looking at the dash for every hour you drive or the fiddling of any controls.

I believe it would be minimal while concentrating on the road. The point I wanted to make here is that a plain functional control for the audio and ac is what most require. Rest is subjective. Looks and opinion are what "most" people base their decision when buying a car.

About Poitive: Yes! He is the single biggest proponent for the Optra Magnum but he has been missing for a while. We really miss him. Does anyone know him personally or has spoken to him?

Torquedo: I guess he is also from Delhi. Would it be ok if we tried to trace him? Should not prove difficult.

Last edited by optimist : 24th October 2011 at 23:02.
Old 25th October 2011, 09:44   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Spending 10 Lakhs on a Optra is not worth much now. I know a newer optra car will not cause any problems. If you have made up your mind, All the best it a great car.

4. My car met with an accident and its rear quarter panel had to be replaced, they said it will take 1 month to acquire and will costs 30k +. i told them i cant wait for 1 month with my car in garage and asked them to repair instead.

5. Ingress/out very hard for older parents.

5. Brand image is not as good as Honda or some other.

I see your budget as 12 lakhs, you could try XUV 500, verna, vento or even stretch to cruze.

I am very happy with my petrol model, but i have to be prepared for these kind of expenses. But if i am in the market to buy a new car today, i wouldn't buy it just for the sake of engine.
Krish,

At 10.5 lakhs odd for LT Optra, it is by far the best VFM car. Even Zdi leather SX4 costs more than LT Magnum and all other cars like Vento, new Fiesta and Verna cost atleast a lakh more.

1. Resale value - If you are selling any diesel car except for Maruti sub-Dzire models within a year of purchase you will get a pathetic resale price. It is not limited just to Optra. I have done extensive search for a preowned Optra and the rates on offer for the cars I could find in the market were in the range of 5.25 L to 6.75 L for 2007 and 2008 models. 40% depreciation in 3 years for a non-Maruti car is not bad at all. Even in Maruti the SX4 Diesel will not fetch a good resale value.

2. I bought my Baleno just 3 months before it was phased out and till date I never had problem with the spares.

3. I tried to replace the right ORVM assembly of my Baleno last week and the company price for the same was 6870/-. So Optra is as expensive or as cheap as Maruti Baleno. Reg the cost of other spares, I will be able to comment better when my car comes out of the garage.

4. My new Magnum met with an accident earlier this month and the front suspension was badly damaged - was given an estimate of 2.3 lakhs - I would assume that means replacement of lot of parts and all the required parts were ordered and received by the service center in less than one week.

5. Everyone in my family are on the shorter side, so did not face any problem so far.

5. I agree, brand image of Chevrolet is definitely not as good as a Honda or a Toyota or a Volkswagen.

Having said that I would strongly recommend a TD of XUV 5OO. It looks like an awesome machine.

Last edited by NoRules : 25th October 2011 at 09:46.
Old 25th October 2011, 12:12   #174
Senior - BHPian

@NoRules -
1. Optra Diesels sells used at price lower than even SX4 petrol leave Diesel. There is definetely an issue with the resale price.
2. With Beleno you were lucky because Maruti supported it well even after it was phased out. Can't be sure of such a support from Chevy.
DieselFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2011, 16:01   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Krish,

At 10.5 lakhs odd for LT Optra, it is by far the best VFM car. Even Zdi leather SX4 costs more than LT Magnum and all other cars like Vento, new Fiesta and Verna cost atleast a lakh more.

1. Resale value - If you are selling any diesel car except for Maruti sub-Dzire models within a year of purchase you will get a pathetic resale price. It is not limited just to Optra. I have done extensive search for a preowned Optra and the rates on offer for the cars I could find in the market were in the range of 5.25 L to 6.75 L for 2007 and 2008 models. 40% depreciation in 3 years for a non-Maruti car is not bad at all. Even in Maruti the SX4 Diesel will not fetch a good resale value.

2. I bought my Baleno just 3 months before it was phased out and till date I never had problem with the spares.

3. I tried to replace the right ORVM assembly of my Baleno last week and the company price for the same was 6870/-. So Optra is as expensive or as cheap as Maruti Baleno. Reg the cost of other spares, I will be able to comment better when my car comes out of the garage.

4. My new Magnum met with an accident earlier this month and the front suspension was badly damaged - was given an estimate of 2.3 lakhs - I would assume that means replacement of lot of parts and all the required parts were ordered and received by the service center in less than one week.

5. Everyone in my family are on the shorter side, so did not face any problem so far.

5. I agree, brand image of Chevrolet is definitely not as good as a Honda or a Toyota or a Volkswagen.

Having said that I would strongly recommend a TD of XUV 5OO. It looks like an awesome machine.
I agree to everything, optra is one of the spacious and comforable sedan available in the market. But is it the best in todays world money can buy?

The Optra has been here for long, i think they will manifacture the same only for next 2-3years, for 300 odd cars sold a month, how much parts will they be producing in future you think? I somewhere read about the petrol cruze, i think after that is in, they may phase it out slowly.

I changed the right mirror assembly (only the mirror) last month it costs me Rs 500 only, the Service advisor said, each full unit (internal adjustable) costs Rs 6000 each, mine is not optra magnum though but the older one.

For example, The font bumper for SRV alone costs aounf 20 k and more over insurance covers only 50% of the bumper. i enquired a bit with the mechanics when my car was in repair in sundaram motors. But the SA also said parts of Honda city are way costlier than Optra.

Last edited by krish82 : 25th October 2011 at 16:04.
Old 25th October 2011, 16:10   #176

Nice to see so many Optra proponents.

I am a very happy owner of a new Optra LT. 1000km will be up in the ODO in a couple of days...
I shall be posting my ownership experience with pics soon; hopefully over the holidays.

Seasons Greetings to everyone!
Old 28th October 2011, 21:56   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
I picked up my Optra on the 20th,
Congrats Torqey!!

Where have you posted the news?
Old 28th October 2011, 22:42   #178
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur
Congrats Torqey!!

Where have you posted the news?
Thanks Keyur Bhai for the wishes, you have been a BIG help all this while.

I did post in the "What Car" section about my booking.

Now that I have clocked close to about 400 odd Kms here are my findings:

1) My Clarion HU has gone for a toss, the very moment I took the car out of the showroom. I was trying to connect my I-Pod & the system went bust. I can connect the I-Pod but the other controls don't work, like the volume and stuff.

2) My front passenger seat is neither moving forward nor backwards. This is stopping me from going for the seat covers. Don't know how the guys at the accessory shop would handle the seat, I don't want to take any chances.

3) Ok now the first two problems are minor irritants that can be handled at the 1K service (guys if you have any suggestions please chip in), there 3rd niggle that I am facing is small for the time being but might get bloated over a period of time, which I fear !

Here is the problem statement- on a standstill when I rotate my steering wheel in an anti clockwise direction it makes a hissing noise, ok to make it more clear it's like the same sound when gas is leaking through a small hole or another example - same sound as if you try to deflate a tyre, though the sound from the steering is less pronounced.

Another thing that I have observed is - the steering column makes some noise when I pass through an undulating roads, not a BIG irritant as of now but should not have been the case for a vehicle that has done 400 kms.

My Swift, rattled a lot but there were no complains from the steering assembly.

Guys please chip in if you have any insights on the niggles reported above.

My experience with the Optra thus Far -

1) Ride is GOOD, not in the leagues of the Laura though, might be because of the tyre pressure, haven't got it checked since I took the delivery.

2) I have not stretched beyond the 100 mark, 100 on the Optra is like, do this speed 365*24 hrs a year, effortless to say the least.

3) HPS is a bliss, for a car with a heavy front the EPS would have been an utter failure.

4) The reason I bought the Optra (Keyur, Poitive you guys know this well), the TURBO FEEL has not been experienced yet as I'm not pushing on the new vehicle. Optra owners please drop in a couple of lines how the turbo feels

5) When I drive my Figo back to back after a drive on the Optra, the Figo feels like a TOY, light and simple to maneuver. If I was to draw an analogy it'll go like comparing a Royal Enfield to a Splendor.

6) FE on the 1st tankful so cannot comment.

7) The steering wheel on the LS is too too thin, I must admit, my palms are bigger than an average Indian but still for a vehicle this big and bulky the steering wheel should have been a bit chunkier.

Would be reporting my entire findings once through with the 1K Kms mark.

Thanks to one and all for all the support !!!!

Happy Motoring !!

Last edited by Torquedo : 28th October 2011 at 22:55.
Old 28th October 2011, 23:01   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Would be reporting my entire findings once through with the 1K Kms mark.

Thanks to one and all for all the support !!!!
Congratulations on getting the car finally. Have you already started your ownership thread? If yes, can you post the link here please, if not then please start it asap.

Wishing you many happy (s)miles with your Optra.
Old 28th October 2011, 23:08   #180
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian
Congratulations on getting the car finally. Have you already started your ownership thread? If yes, can you post the link here please, if not then please start it asap.

Wishing you many happy (s)miles with your Optra.
Thanks a Ton! for the wishes AI.

I haven't started a thread as yet, was caught up with the daily chores, shall keep you posted once I initiate the ownership thread.

Thanks once again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks