Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2011, 10:07   #91
BHPian

Re: Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Specially for you ...

and for others too !

The CapDase Mobile holder - ANY cellphone.
Thanks so much Dr.
Appreciate it! I have a Nokia holder and i am worried about not having some support at the bottom of the holder. When I try to place and take away the phone; chances are that i am doing to drop the phone one of these days.

I will lookout for this one. Btw: I do have the same Belkin inverter/adapter/converter and It works awesome

Thanks again Dr.
nevertouchme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2011, 13:01   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertouchme View Post
Thanks so much Dr.
Appreciate it! I have a Nokia holder and i am worried about not having some support at the bottom of the holder. When I try to place and take away the phone; chances are that i am doing to drop the phone one of these days.

I will lookout for this one. Btw: I do have the same Belkin inverter/adapter/converter and It works awesome

Thanks again Dr.

Cool.

Awesome - .... Great minds think alike

As for your Nokia Holder - I am sure it will hold nevertheless. Don't worry.
Old 12th November 2011, 19:43   #93
BHPian

This has to be one of the ost coprehensive ownership reviews on TBHP!!

I am someone who has booked the Honda Jazz and has been waiting in the dark like a lot of BHPians, with no idea from the dealer as to when my car will arrive even after 6 weeks of booking! I'm now keeping my options open.

I have a couiple of queries for you:

1. Could you please elaborate on the differences between the Elan and the Celebration? The price difference is around 22k I understand. I'm not looking at the Aura + ABS as it doesn't come wid airbags.

2. How would you rate the electricals on your car? Has anything failed or started troubling you yet?
Old 14th November 2011, 11:54   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
This has to be one of the ost coprehensive ownership reviews on TBHP!!

I am someone who has booked the Honda Jazz and has been waiting in the dark like a lot of BHPians, with no idea from the dealer as to when my car will arrive even after 6 weeks of booking! I'm now keeping my options open.

I have a couiple of queries for you:

1. Could you please elaborate on the differences between the Elan and the Celebration? The price difference is around 22k I understand. I'm not looking at the Aura + ABS as it doesn't come wid airbags.

2. How would you rate the electricals on your car? Has anything failed or started troubling you yet?

Thank you Mr. Geo_Ipe.

It would be a pleasure to address your queries.

1. There are ONLY 4 differences between the Elan & the Elan Celebration Edition
  1. Black & Beige Dashboard & Interior combination as compared to the Burgundy (Purple) & Beige combo in the Elan
  2. Addition of Reverse Parking sensors - AUDIO only
  3. Leather Feel seats
  4. Celebration Edition small silly 10 Rs badge on the Left C Pillar
So as you can see - QUITE FRANKLY - it is NOT worth the 22k difference.

Because you can easily get Reverse Parking sensors with a SCREEN for about 4-5k
Decent Leather seats would be about 11-13k. (though I must admit that these seats are quite good too)

& my ONE & ONLY prime reason to go for this CE (& wait 2 months for it) is the Black & Beige interior combo.
I just could not stand the purple & beige combo. & I loved this black & beige combo.

Honestly, that is it. Seems worthless to have CE. But I was clear about what I wanted.

So - take a look & decide.

2. No, thankfully & God willing, it has worked perfectly for 1274 kms till date. No electrical failure or any failure of any sort. (1 month 6 days so far).
Old 15th November 2011, 00:10   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Seems worthless to have CE. But I was clear about what I wanted.
That's how BHPians buy their cars I guess!
Will take a look at the car myself n' let the forum know how i feel.
Old 17th November 2011, 22:56   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
That's how BHPians buy their cars I guess!
Will take a look at the car myself n' let the forum know how i feel.
Yes.

That is what individuality is all about I guess.

Not all 5 fingers are the same.

That is why you see people buying all sorts of cars & reporting here on TBhp.
I am sure everymonth when you look at GTO's post of sales figures - you must wonder when you come across certain cars - Who the hell bought THAT?

But then ... one Man's Pride is Another Man's Disgust.

& the world is full of Idiots? Right?

Like my relative who thought I am an idiot to be spending 9 lakhs on a Tata Car.

But I would rather be a ruler in hell than a slave in heaven.

Translated as:
I would rather buy the Top-end variant of any car than settle for the lowest variant of the next higher level car.
(in this case - rather top-end Manza than lowest-end Vento).
Old 3rd December 2011, 14:00   #97
BHPian

Here are the videos - as promised earlier.

These exhibit a few more details of the car.

Sorry for the delay.
& the extremely amatuerish effort.
The quality is on the poorer side because I consciously took the video at a low-res setting to make the file size manageable (otherwise uploading is a pain).

I have just tried to demonstrate some features which I liked.

P.S.: NO editing done on YouTube. As of yet.

Dr.Suraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 09:18   #98
BHPian

So finally got the opportunity to take him out for a long drive.

It was an unplanned drive to Pune - 1 Sunday morning.

The full family - 4 of us. With minimal luggage.

Mumbai to Pune - Lunch - & back to Mumbai.

Total distance covered : 337 Kms.
Total driving time: 3 hours 2 minutes while going & 4 hours 5 minutes while coming back (owing to traffic).

Top speed: 153 kmph (Back seat drivers did not allow me to go any higher) on the Mumbai - Pune Expressway.

On the expressway - both times average speed between 120 - 140 kmph.
& yet:

Average / Fuel Efficieny: 17.2 kmpl while going & 16.6 kmpl while returning.

Total cost: Exact full tank to full tank : 20 lts Turbojet (Diesel) : 1007 Rs.! for the full trip & back.

AMAZINGLY cheap! That is the 1st think that comes to mind!

The car handled well through all patches, city & highway.

It is genuinely more enjoyable on the highway. Loves to stretch its legs and has a mean growl.
Overtaking rarely requires a downgrade.
You can just floor the pedal and it will roar through with a turbo kick.

Smooth to drive, excellent excellent road grip.
Even at 150 kmph no swaying.
Infact the car was so solid that no one actually noticed for a good 10 minutes that I was at 150+ speeds.

Just incidentally someone from the back seat happened to see the speedo.

Have clicked some pics of the trip meter etc. Shall post them soon.

Planning 1 more trip in this month.

This time to Ahmadnagar (for some official work).
Distance expected is 660+ kms bothways.
& all kinds of roads.

Will update soon.

Seriously enjoying the Manza !
Old 25th January 2012, 10:38   #99
BHPian

Hi Dr. Suraj,

Congratulations on the new car. Based on your research and very detailed explanation, I too are now more inclined to take Manza ELAN variant. Couple of clarifications need from you.

1. How the car is performing where you need to climb up may 40-45 degree angle steep roads / ramps? I saw couple of reviews that it was unable to climb. I do lot of long drives in terrain regions. Your feedback would be of great help.

2. FE: I have been told by TATA sales person (obviously sales talk) that he was quoting 16-17 KMPL in city and 20+ KMPL on Highway. Can we believe in these numbers with pinch of salt (~1 KMPL) deviation.

Thanks,
Raghu Lakshman
Old 30th January 2012, 16:10   #100
BHPian

My two cents here:
1. I have come across no steep roads which the manza could'nt climb. Max was I had to put it in 1st gear, when the rpm was low. But frankly, I've felt the 2nd gear to be very sluggish at low rpm. I'm just back from a trip which had some 10+ hair-pin bends, and most of them was done in 2nd gear. I've seen the clip that you are referring to, and I guess that is a little over-rated.

2. For me: City (bangalore) 13-15. I touched 20 with some disciplined driving in the highways.
Old 30th January 2012, 20:00   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmnraghu78 View Post
Hi Dr. Suraj,

Congratulations on the new car. Based on your research and very detailed explanation, I too are now more inclined to take Manza ELAN variant. Couple of clarifications need from you.

1. How the car is performing where you need to climb up may 40-45 degree angle steep roads / ramps? I saw couple of reviews that it was unable to climb. I do lot of long drives in terrain regions. Your feedback would be of great help.

2. FE: I have been told by TATA sales person (obviously sales talk) that he was quoting 16-17 KMPL in city and 20+ KMPL on Highway. Can we believe in these numbers with pinch of salt (~1 KMPL) deviation.

Thanks,
Raghu Lakshman
My experience to share as well

1. Just back from drive that involved probably around 100km of ghat driving and never felt the lack of power. Am hearing of this concern for the first time. BTW, i doubt if any of our regular cars could climb on a 45-degree incline.

2. Currently get around 13.5-14.5kmpl in pure city driving with AC always on. My driver is not the best around and am sure i could extract more if i was driving myself. On my current trip, got an average of 23kmpl on my NH4 stretch (with speeds in the range of 110-120kmph). With speeds around 100kmph, the mileage was 25+kmpl (the MID is calibrated to not display over 25kmph).
sachinayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 19:15   #102
BHPian

Today its finally decided to go with Manza ELAN variant TYRIAN WINE color. Delivery date is 10th Feb.. Excited to drive...

Raghu Lakshman
Old 6th February 2012, 01:29   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Dr. Suraj,

Thanks,
Raghu Lakshman
Hi Raghu ....

1. NO problem at all.

Climbed reasonably steep inclines in the mall parking lots out here. crazily steep.
Where I have seen a few cars (actually poor drivers) stall & stutter in the middle of the patch.
Manza easily makes most of them in 2nd gear. If required & downgraded to 1st ... well ... then its just a matter of pushing the pedal 1/2 inch deep ... thats all.
& the roar of the engine which echos in such closed spaces ... AWESOME !

2. FE : frankly - even @ speeds above 140kmph - FE is a good 17-18kmpl.
Sweet spot is @ 100-120 kmph. Easily FE crosses 22-23. For sure.
& city driving - definitely 12-14. Based on traffic. Infact FE is poorest while idling.
P.S. All figures with AC on full time, 4 occupants in car - average weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrvarier View Post
My two cents here:
1. I have come across no steep roads which the manza could'nt climb. Max was I had to put it in 1st gear, when the rpm was low. But frankly, I've felt the 2nd gear to be very sluggish at low rpm. I'm just back from a trip which had some 10+ hair-pin bends, and most of them was done in 2nd gear. I've seen the clip that you are referring to, and I guess that is a little over-rated.

2. For me: City (bangalore) 13-15. I touched 20 with some disciplined driving in the highways.
Your 2 cents are worth much more buddy!

True to the core. Every word. One has to really restrain the engine. It is sooo eager to push harder. It just glides effortlessly into 150kmph + zones without a whimper!
Just love it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
My experience to share as well

1. Just back from drive that involved probably around 100km of ghat driving and never felt the lack of power. Am hearing of this concern for the first time. BTW, i doubt if any of our regular cars could climb on a 45-degree incline.

2. Currently get around 13.5-14.5kmpl in pure city driving with AC always on. My driver is not the best around and am sure i could extract more if i was driving myself. On my current trip, got an average of 23kmpl on my NH4 stretch (with speeds in the range of 110-120kmph). With speeds around 100kmph, the mileage was 25+kmpl (the MID is calibrated to not display over 25kmph).
Yes indeed ... I too have heard this concern for the 1st time.
Tata Cars (except Nano) are built for all kind of roads. None of them ever fail inclines!

Seriously? ABOVE 25kmph? That is AMAZING! How can you tell?
(Yes the MID will show max 25)

Quote:
Today its finally decided to go with Manza ELAN variant TYRIAN WINE color. Delivery date is 10th Feb.. Excited to drive...

Raghu Lakshman

FANTASTIC Decision. Heartiest Congratulations.

I am sure you will not regret it.
Welcome to club.

Be prepared to be spoiled in luxury.
All other cars in this segment will feel claustrophobic after being inside the Manza.

I read somewhere on this forum ...

"If you want to own a house on 4 wheels ... buy a Manza"
& it is true!
the backseat is nothing short of a living room!
Old 6th February 2012, 02:51   #104
BHPian

4 months update:

Odo Reading: 3628 kms.

Total cumulative average till date (FE) - since I never did reset the Trip B counter:
15.9 kmpl.

Otherwise FE:
Note: A/C on full time, usually 4 occupants in the car, minimal luggage.

City:
Light traffic - there is no such thing as light traffic in Mumbai.

Moderate traffic - easily 13-14 kmpl

Heavy traffic - drops down to 11.5 to 12.5 but never worse.

City manners are good. Clutch is easy in traffic. NO PAIN in the knees (unlike my Indica). Easy to drive. Good fun too.
Parking - thank God for those sensors! But otherwise decent. Good turning radius. No hiccups. Infact - over eager engine.
& yes - brakes seem too soft sometimes.

Highway:
Like all Tata cars - this is a highway car.
Begging for more!
loves a straight stretch.
& is TOTAL comfort in the backseat.
Extremely powerful and easy to handle at even sufficiently high speeds.
Best FE between 110 to 120. Or rather 100 - 120 kmph.
Easily gives 20 to 22kmpl.

The 1st service was done at 956kms - hence at 1 month.
Total charges - 100 Rs.

Videos Updated here :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2598183

Impressions & Ownership Experience:
Well :
ANYONE who sits in the car has these few standard comments to make:

"Peeche to sofa hai!"
Yeh to legroom ki dukaan hai
or
Yeh Tata hai?

Basically the space, quality of plastics, the Bluetooth system, steering controls and refinement of a diesel surprises & awes everyone. No exceptions.

As said by a very experienced, skilled & reliable mechanic:

"This is a common man's Mercedes Benz"
Since it offers the same seat as S class, the bonnet ridge as E class, Back lighting on the instrument console as the C class.

Now that prices have slashed - its a total VFM car.

I don't mean to gloat - but - verified by Tata -
that my Manza is the ONLY Celebration Edition in all of Mumbai.

Well - enough of positives:

Now a few negatives:

I had mentioned a few problems earlier on ....
Well, they have ALL been sorted out.

The plastic bit on the windscreen does not pop anymore.
The plastic screw covers have been replaced & they have stayed put.

BUT:

I had 5 complaints for which I went to the service centre last week.
1. The fuel tank lid would not open smoothly in 1 go by the lever below the seat
2. The indicators (left & right) would not auto-reverse back sometimes when steering was turned less than 2 turns or just given a 180 degree turn
3. There was some weird humming noise / vibrating noise - ONLY when the car was idling & the A/C was on. If the car moved even a bit or the A/c was switched off - it would disappear instantly.
4. A very very disturbing & scary RATTLING noise when : a. reversing the car & clutch released at half. b. when in 2nd gear & car clutch engaged partially - rather while lifting it off.
5. Headlamp alignment seemed a little off (seen in the video here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2598183) right lower than left.

Solution:

1. Just a small setting / alignment change at the lock of the lid

2. Changed the COMBI switch of the indicators - under warranty.
Cost Rs. 450. - & the stalk itself feels MUCH softer now

3. The Service Adviser said it was due to a pair of 'bush' that were slightly cracked - probably when the car hit a bad pothole. Part changed. Charged 22 Rs per busy. So total 44Rs. (inclusive of taxes) (Will attach a copy of the bill)

4. SA said it was the TURBO pipe touching the body somewhere near the base. Adjust - noise gone! Totally !

5. Re-alignment done - clear. Wonder how it was wrong in the 1st place.

Now:
For some BAD BAD news:

1. The rear seat that was torn thanks to Wasan Motors - its been 4 months.
We have been running from pillar to post. Calling up repeatedly. Everytime the buck is passed on to some new guy - but till date NO solution.
They confirmed replacement - but always keep making some ridiculous excuses! Even though Tata Motors HAS issued them a directive to do the needful ASAP. Horrible experience.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2562748

2. A Taxi cut my stationary Manza at a signal near Chembur.
He wanted to go right, so did we. He was in the 2nd lane, we were in the 1st.
Still he tried to overtake & in the process his Metal bumper (Typically Premier Padmini Taxi) hit, hooked & dislodged our front bumper !

It was ripped right from its bracket.
Apart from the scratches .... it just broke off a few hooks.

Now ... Even if we claim in insurance .... it will cost upwards of 4.5k + the chrome strips are expensive & hard to procure.
So the Wasan Motors SA did some 'jugaad' to keep the Bumper aligned in place & working perfectly (some screw system)
& I shall have to live with the scratches & a small dent.

P.S.

This time at the Wasan Motors workshop at Deonar,
a nice tall gentleman with a Tata Motors ID card around his neck walked up to me & introduced himself as Mr. Arun Chandra - & he wanted my complaints & genuine feedback on everything.
& he has promised to convey it all to higher authorities.
(email id: arun.chandra@tatmotors.com)
Maybe somethings are improving.

& TATA is finally waking up to the fact that its the A.S.S. that screws up more than their actual product !

Lets hope for the best.

Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !-imag0623.jpg
Dr.Suraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2012, 12:30   #105
BHPian

Quote:

I had 5 complaints for which I went to the service centre last week.
1. The fuel tank lid would not open smoothly in 1 go by the lever below the seat
2. The indicators (left & right) would not auto-reverse back sometimes when steering was turned less than 2 turns or just given a 180 degree turn
3. There was some weird humming noise / vibrating noise - ONLY when the car was idling & the A/C was on. If the car moved even a bit or the A/c was switched off - it would disappear instantly.
4. A very very disturbing & scary RATTLING noise when : a. reversing the car & clutch released at half. b. when in 2nd gear & car clutch engaged partially - rather while lifting it off.
5. Headlamp alignment seemed a little off (seen in the video here: Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community) right lower than left.

Great to know this, Dr Suraj, and thank you for posting the solutions. I have, 1 & 3 if I observe keenly. So should get that solved with your solutions.

There is a new one: I have a faint whistling sound when the engine is running (idling or otherwise). I've struggled to find out the source, but its not clear. Its not from: the engine bay, the AC vents, music system. It appears to be coming from somewhere around the glove compartment or behind it. It sounds like, when you ride in high speeds, and one of glasses is slighly ajar, the wind makes whistling sound.

Most Viewed