Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2012, 12:37   #256
BHPian

re: Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
By when are you expecting delivery of your vehicle? I am looking forward to a few ownership reports for the 2012 fortuner. In the meanwhile, I am still waiting for the local dealership to call me after they receive the new fortuner to have a dekko and make up my mind. However, I am more or less confirmed in my mind to get the Fortuner but just want the wife to give the final go ahead formally as it will involve selling off the 4x4 Safari to get this one.
I should get the vehicle in some 3 months time, as they say.

One of the lessons Toyota teaches it's customer is that it is YOUR need to get a Toyota... it is NOT their need to fetch you as a customer. I did not get a single call from anyone in Toyota before or after the booking.. no follow-ups. The same attitude has been mentioned here on the forum by many. Just now i called to enquire about the arrival of facelifted model and they are saying that it has arrived yesterday... inspite of my following up in a span of 2 or 3 days regularly and leaving my number to call back. I'll go & check out at the earliest.

dkaile, i was not quite impressed with the sound quality in the older version, i'll check in the facelifted model. Once i get the vehicle, i'll see how it can be upgraded.
Old 2nd February 2012, 12:39   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devrishi View Post
I should get the vehicle in some 3 months time, as they say.

One of the lessons Toyota teaches it's customer is that it is YOUR need to get a Toyota... it is NOT their need to fetch you as a customer. I did not get a single call from anyone in Toyota before or after the booking.. no follow-ups. The same attitude has been mentioned here on the forum by many. Just now i called to enquire about the arrival of facelifted model and they are saying that it has arrived yesterday... inspite of my following up in a span of 2 or 3 days regularly and leaving my number to call back. I'll go & check out at the earliest.

dkaile, i was not quite impressed with the sound quality in the older version, i'll check in the facelifted model. Once i get the vehicle, i'll see how it can be upgraded.
I'll get in touch with the dealership.
Old 2nd February 2012, 16:17   #258
BHPian

Yes, the new model is out.
It looks quite nice though, I saw it this morning coming in to work a white one in Hinjiwadi
Its got a lot more chrome, thats for sure.
Old 2nd February 2012, 21:25   #259
Senior - BHPian

Mods / People who looked at the Facelfit Fortuner, please indicate whether the Face-Plate of the ICE system is removable or Fixed ?

This info would be useful to those planning on Car Security systems.
Old 2nd February 2012, 23:14   #260
BHPian

Well, i had a look at the facelift 2012 model today - here are my 2 cents;

1. The front grill looks great - it's chrome and i must say that the quality of chrome is very good - it's tone / shade is darker than the regular chrome we see on various cars. It's different and gives an expensive feel. When i compared with the older version front grill - i found it to be equally imposing and then the additional advantage is 'the change is welcome'.

2. Tail lights: I would say that the design of tail lights will suit best on white color. I liked it as my color of choice is white. I saw the vehicle in black color too. On black color it was looking good but the tail lights were looking much much better on white one. On other colors it would look different to different people. In the older version, the tail lights gelled well with all colors but this time it's a different story. Remember, these are my views.

3. The embossed FORTUNER was looking good - however, if i were the designer, i would have kept it at 80% of present font size. It's slightly more bold but does not look downmarket in any way.

4. ICE: The sound quality is good and can live well with it but could have been better. To my ears, i felt that the 2012 model has better sound quality than the previous one. Reverse camera works well. Video display works only when hand brakes are engaged.

The Look wise i have different openion here. In picture given here in review it appears to be out of place but in person it is not so. There are two main reasons for it. The Faux wood finish on the centre console is glossy and reflective - this gels well 'reflecting the environs' with the silver finish - due to reflective nature of faux wood it compliments. Additionally, there is a chrome strip below the ICE which is very prominent and looks very smart in place however, looks out of place in picture given in review.

There is no doubt that compared to other 20 Lac+ vehicles ICE fitment could have been much much better but we can live with it.

5. Driver seat height: It is definitly more height adjustable than the previous version. Last time when i took the test drive on older version, i adjusted the driver seat height to the maximum and felt the view could have been better if only it was more adjustable by a notch or two.. but it was not. 2012 version is much more adjustable and 6 way electrically adjustable driver seat gives a feel good factor though memory function is missing.

6. The Doors: Black Faux Wood looks good. The top plastic trims have been changed to grey tone. This grey tone actually compliments the black faux wood finish. The centre console should have been in beige color. The grey color centre console W'really looks out of place.

7. I did not like the color / design of footboard. It will always be dirty. There are lot of ribs and dust/mud will remain adhered.

8. VSC: In 4x4 HL and LL mode, VSC engages automatically. When you shift down to H mode the VSC gets automatically turned off. If you feel the need to engage VSC in H mode, a separate push button is given for the needful.

Well, on the whole i am a happy and satisfied man. I have booked the one in White color and look forward to be a proud owner of the facelifted 2012 model... and.. yeah! this time it's coming with a snub nose

Last edited by Devrishi : 2nd February 2012 at 23:23.
Old 2nd February 2012, 23:53   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Well, on the whole i am a happy and satisfied man. I have booked the one in White color and look forward to be a proud owner of the facelifted 2012 model... and.. yeah! this time it's coming with a snub nose
Hey Devrishi,

Congrats in advance.

What is the delivery time for facelifted Fortuner?

Cheers,
Mugen_Power
Old 3rd February 2012, 10:20   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, on the whole i am a happy and satisfied man. I have booked the one in White color and look forward to be a proud owner of the facelifted 2012 model
Congrats. Do post a detailed ownership review soon.

And welcome to the Fortuner Club with total peace of mind and bulletproof reliability of Toyota thrown in for free.
Old 3rd February 2012, 10:27   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
8. VSC: In 4x4 HL and LL mode, VSC engages automatically. When you shift down to H mode the VSC gets automatically turned off. If you feel the need to engage VSC in H mode, a separate push button is given for the needful.
@Devrishi;

Thanks for the update.

Regarding VSC, they gave you the wrong information. By default VSC is on in H mode which is regular driving mode. VSC can be switched of manually in H mode using the button. Once you go off-road, VSC becomes a problem and hence automatically disengaged in HL (4WD with center diff locked) and LL mode (4WD Low range with center diff locked).
Old 3rd February 2012, 10:33   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Mods / People who looked at the Facelfit Fortuner, please indicate whether the Face-Plate of the ICE system is removable or Fixed ?

This info would be useful to those planning on Car Security systems.
I felt the faceplate is fixed to the body of the audio system.

In any case, the risk of the stock audio system getting stolen is pretty less.

Quote:
Well, i had a look at the facelift 2012 model today - here are my 2 cents;

There is no doubt that compared to other 20 Lac+ vehicles ICE fitment could have been much much better but we can live with it.

Hi Devrishi,

I just have two questions:

1. How did you find the brake performance? I heard they've introduced EBD & BA, so is it like the Corolla/Camry brake performance or just as the legacy fortuner?

2. Any improvement in the performance?

I'm also trying to take a test-drive of the new fortuner, would update as soon as I get it.

Cheers!

Nitin

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by noopster : 3rd February 2012 at 15:19.
nitinbose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:24   #265
BHPian

Thanks everyone.

@4x4addict - thanks for pointing out. I'll check up again.

Hello Nitin,
I have not taken test drive of the 2012 model as dkaile had mentioned that mechanicals are the same so did not bother myself... moreover, vehicles were about to be delivered so did not want to hear the denial of SA.

I had taken test drive some 15 days back of the old model and found brakes to be adequate - could have been better as every one says.

Regards

devrishi
Old 3rd February 2012, 18:54   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@Devrishi;

Thanks for the update.

Regarding VSC, they gave you the wrong information. By default VSC is on in H mode which is regular driving mode. VSC can be switched of manually in H mode using the button. Once you go off-road, VSC becomes a problem and hence automatically disengaged in HL (4WD with center diff locked) and LL mode (4WD Low range with center diff locked).
I am not sure about this - while it is advisable to switch off VSC (or ESP) during offroading, I thought the driver needs to manually switch it off instead of it getting automatically switched off - i.e. the driver decides whether to keep it on or off.

My knowledge is from the South African forums (a VSC equipped version has been present in SA since 2009), and not from personal experience.

I looked at the new Fortuner while at the showroom, and wasn't too impressed from outside.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 3rd February 2012 at 18:56.
Old 4th February 2012, 00:03   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
I felt the faceplate is fixed to the body of the audio system.

In any case, the risk of the stock audio system getting stolen is pretty less.
Nitin,

Why do you feel that the probablity of the Audio system getting stolen is low ? To a thief, A stereo in a Nano Matters the same a stereo in a TFORT. At least If i were a thief, the car model would not matter to me, only the HU would.

IMHO, the Fortuner stereo should fetch at least 6000/- in the "Chor Market" or at the very least serve as replacement spare parts to the local mechanic.

Please share your view also.
Old 4th February 2012, 08:57   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why do you feel that the probablity of the Audio system getting stolen is low ? To a thief, A stereo in a Nano Matters the same a stereo in a TFORT. At least If i were a thief, the car model would not matter to me, only the HU would.
It would be a lot tougher for the thief to break into a Fotuner than say a Nano due to a very reliable company fitted anti-theft system in place. The car would make a racket as breaking the glass would possibly be the only option to get into the vehicle. Although, nothing's impossible for the street smart thief, he would rather risk a Nano than a Fortuner for his own safety.

Also, though the OE system costs several thousands at the showroom level, chor market demand is quite negligible for the Fortuner's HU.

Last edited by dkaile : 4th February 2012 at 09:00.
dkaile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 09:59   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nitin,

IMHO, the Fortuner stereo should fetch at least 6000/- in the "Chor Market" or at the very least serve as replacement spare parts to the local mechanic.

Please share your view also.

Hi Scorpiobath,

What I mentioned is the general trend. If the stock audio gets spoiled, most people talk to the service center and when they find the price to be unreasonably high, they refer themselves to the car-audio shops from where they may purchase pioneer, kenwood etc at a lower cost.

Indeed, there are some people who stick to the stock model no matter what, and yes, for them what you mentioned would be true.

Hi Everyone!

I took a test drive of the New Fortuner 4x4, yesterday. The engine power seemed quite like the legacy model. However, I found the steering to be much lighter, clutch easy to press, though the brakes seemed like the legacy.

The electrically adjustable seats are quite comfy! I really enjoyed that.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 5th February 2012 at 10:23. Reason: merging posts. Please edit existing post or use multiquote option if posting with 30mins. Refer rule 5.
nitinbose is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 19:33   #270
BHPian

Saw the facelifted fortuner today. Didn't stun me. Looked like a bling bling job for the gold chain and diamond rings crowd.

The shiny new nose with slashes and straight lines where there were curves looks only like a cheap attempt to be create flash at the expense of sober restraint and good taste.

its a fail as far as I am concerned.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks