Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2012, 18:35   #136
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
19.99 Lacs 2WD wil El Chepo interiors, kills my appetite for this vehicle. So it is back to the market to explore other options .
Very well said! Toyota should understand that a mere chrome garnish at the front won't do. Those interiors won't look out of place in a Tavera taxi (BTW Tavera's interiors are way better for that price!) and Toyota expects me to shift 25 huge ones for this? No thanks!
Old 7th January 2012, 22:39   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Very well said! Toyota should understand that a mere chrome garnish at the front won't do. Those interiors won't look out of place in a Tavera taxi (BTW Tavera's interiors are way better for that price!) and Toyota expects me to shift 25 huge ones for this? No thanks!
Hi swift diesel that is not just a mere chrome garnish at the front rather it is a extensive facelift and i fail to understand what is wrong about the interors they are high quality ergonomically good evrythg fallls to hand and it is solid and will work for decades without fail.it is just that it is function over sesign and i love the interiors. It is just that some people on this forum have anti toyota mentality.

Last edited by GTO : 11th January 2012 at 14:11. Reason: No need to get sarcastic or target each other's cars
Old 8th January 2012, 10:37   #138
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
So here is the official bangalore price for the 2WD AT model

Ex-Showroom : 20,86,717 (Car Value - 18,30,453 + 14% VAT - 2,56,263)
Insurance : 64,119
Road Tax : 4,16,927
Handling Charges : 6,500

TOTAL ON ROAD : 25,74,263/-
This seems pretty decent for the AT model but I'm thinking for Karnataka Toyota just lost an opportunity. Delhi ex-showroom of 19.99L for the 2WD MT means in Bangalore it will cross 20L resulting in higher road tax slab.

Could have saved 3-4% if they ensured ex-showroom in their home state to be below 20L.
Old 8th January 2012, 19:59   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639

This seems pretty decent for the AT model but I'm thinking for Karnataka Toyota just lost an opportunity. Delhi ex-showroom of 19.99L for the 2WD MT means in Bangalore it will cross 20L resulting in higher road tax slab.

Could have saved 3-4% if they ensured ex-showroom in their home state to be below 20L.
@vid6639, is the road tax on the car value from the manufacturer or is it arrived after including the VAT? Cost of the car from Toyota is 18.50L, it is the freaking taxes that push it by few Lakhs
Old 8th January 2012, 21:53   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
@vid6639, is the road tax on the car value from the manufacturer or is it arrived after including the VAT? Cost of the car from Toyota is 18.50L, it is the freaking taxes that push it by few Lakhs
The taxes should be based on the ex showroom price & not the company price I believe. Again since Toyota is based in Karnataka, they very well could have taken care of the price to be with in 19.99L ex showroom, Karnataka. Again, why would they bother, they know people will queue up to buy this car at any price.

OT: I know Mitsubishi has a "one price across India" [ex. showroom] policy. Why can't other manufacturers follow this?
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 12:04   #141
Senior - BHPian

The New Fortuner official website is now online -
Toyota - New Fortuner
Toyota - Fortuner - The Art of Power
Price List - http://www.toyotabharat.com/inen/forms/price_list.aspx

Last edited by dkaile : 9th January 2012 at 12:08.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 14:41   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
I feel it is better to go for the Renault Duster, which is a tried and tested vehicle worldwide and has a strong review base as good as Toyota.
Old 9th January 2012, 15:22   #143
BHPian

Hi bhpians does anyone have an idea that when are the deliveries of the new fortuner commencing any inputs would be helpful
Old 9th January 2012, 16:26   #144
Senior - BHPian

Some interesting new accessories for the New Fortuner -

Head-Up Display

Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)-headup-display-fortuner.jpg

Auto Folding Mirror based on key position

Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)-auto-folding-mirror-fortuner.jpg

Scoop Cover in Chrome

Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)-scoop-cover-chrome-fortuner.jpg
dkaile is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 17:38   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Some interesting new accessories for the New Fortuner -
Hey dkaile,
Thanks for bringing this up here.
The ones I like the most (and hope can retofit in my Classic Fortuner too):-
1. Folding ORVMs (finally, they are available in Body colour, rather than chrome)
2. Pedal Set (perfect for the off-road settings)
3. Head up display - very English!

I was quite intrigued by the Folding ORVMs, ever since had seen them in my brother's Father in Law's new FL2.
Quite handy these! You don't have to bother about specially shutting them.

Last edited by Monaro CV8 : 9th January 2012 at 17:41.
Old 9th January 2012, 20:44   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Some interesting new accessories for the New Fortuner
Hi dkaile,
Many thanks for putting up the new toys of the Fortuner. Nice to see them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
1. Folding ORVMs (finally, they are available in Body colour, rather than chrome)
2. Pedal Set (perfect for the off-road settings)
3. Head up display - very English!
Hi Monaro,
1. Liked the 'folding of ORVMs depending on the key position' feature. But I ain't going to trust the grease monkeys to retro-fit one on my classic. No way. Not happy with them poking around anywhere if possible but more so in/at a critical area linked to the key barrel and starter system.

2. Won't that Heads Up Display be a constant source of distraction ? Especially on the Indian roads where every three seconds you have a chicken/dog/child/woman/man/thellawallah/bad driver trying to throw his/her head up without display ? And as a driver you require absolute attention on the road ?
For a F-18/16/whatever pilot the helmet/windscreen HUD is fine as there are not many onrushing physical objects in the air. Even on overseas roads partly OK for the drivers there in view of the conditions and discipline. But here ?

3. What's that you were referring to as pedal set ? I missed something ?

4. About that scoop chrome ? Lesser said, the better.
The Fortuner will now look like a fierce, grim, scarred, battle hardened Samurai warrior with - a nose ring. Instead of picking up the Katana/sword and fighting him, I'll probably be rolling on the floor - laughing !
Frankly what's with Toyota and all the chrome ? Just can't figure out somethings.

Overall great to see evolution at work !

Last edited by Guderian : 9th January 2012 at 20:58.
Old 9th January 2012, 21:28   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Won't that Heads Up Display be a constant source of distraction ? Especially on the Indian roads where every three seconds you have a chicken/dog/child/woman/man/thellawallah/bad driver trying to throw his/her head up without display ? And as a driver you require absolute attention on the road ?
In the pic here, I didn't like the position of the HUD. But if you have seen the F10 530D, then you will see that the display is right in the line of the driver's vision. The advantage will be that you don't have to look at the speedo or console to get any info you usually look for. That also means lesser attention deviation from the road.

But here in the pic above, the info is projected on the right side of the windscreen which could take away your attention from the left side. And I believe, for anyone who is well experienced driving, these are just fancy gizmos. I remember the mod who TDed 530D was quite impressed though!

Edit:: Also the BMW HUD can change intensity / color based on the external lighting & ambiance. I am not so sure how much of these functionality is incorporated in the Fortuner accessory. And it should cost a BOMB!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 9th January 2012 at 21:30.
Old 9th January 2012, 21:39   #148
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Hi Monaro,
1. Liked the 'folding of ORVMs depending on the key position' feature. But I ain't going to trust the grease monkeys to retro-fit one on my classic. No way. Not happy with them poking around anywhere if possible but more so in/at a critical area linked to the key barrel and starter system.

2. Won't that Heads Up Display be a constant source of distraction ? Especially on the Indian roads where every three seconds you have a chicken/dog/child/woman/man/thellawallah/bad driver trying to throw his/her head up without display ? And as a driver you require absolute attention on the road ?
Well you have just made 2 very useful accessories seem like total nonsense. Whereas the fact is that they are actually useful little bits.

First as for the folding mirrors thing. With everything electronic you do understand that the 'grease monkeys' don't really have to touch your starter system or key barrel. It can be as simple as plugging in an electronic module.
KP Technologies
Here is an example of similar ones for my Accord.

And as for the HUD. You Fortuner owners use your cars alot on highways no? Well suppose you want to check the speed or something, yes looking down at the speedometer is easy enough but then you have to focus your eyes down and take then off the road. With the HUD you just have to look a little bit to the right and it can be similar to taking a quick sneek peak at the right hand side mirror which I'm sure all good drivers do every few seconds. So doesn't think actually mean you can keep better concentration on the road? I'd rather be focusing on something on my windscreen and see something out of the corner of my eye than looking down at my speedo on a 2 lane highway and have something or someone pop up in front of me. In the Fortuner I've noticed the speedo is a bit lower than the normal line of sight unlike say a BMW where you sit quite low so its almost in the natural line of sight.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 06:44   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
1.Well you have just made 2 very useful accessories seem like total nonsense.

2. First as for the folding mirrors thing. With everything electronic you do understand that the 'grease monkeys' don't really have to touch your starter system or key barrel. It can be as simple as plugging in an electronic module.

3.And as for the HUD. You Fortuner owners use your cars alot on highways no?
1. Well from my perspective - yes. But I think you missed the sentence where I mentioned that as an OE the folding mirrors are great but had reservations on the retrofitting part.

Not that it was intended to be speaking for others. I am sure others could find it rather useful depending on their requirements.

2. I am not sure whether the same 'plug on' system exists in the Fortuner. And if it did, the steering wheel column area would nevertheless be needed to be toyed around with - at the level of electronics and/or the key barrel - even if it is couple of tugs here and there. Which for me is not a comfortable option.

3. As far as the HUD is concerned and the style of highway driving or on other roads - quite simply one trains oneself (as far as I am concerned) to look at the speedo for the briefest of moments after quick check on the road to see if there are any dangers/obstacles coming up. If clear (as perceived for say 10 secs ahead or so) I then glance down quickly and pick up/register the data. Then it is a sensory cut off from that source. You are only then mentally processing the information. After years of driving this now happens as a reflex, if one has a requirement to process data on speed.

However with a permanent display on the windshield, a portion of your attention, however minute, would always be on it leading to possibly to a situation of sometimes not responding to stimulus from the other areas/zones of peripheral vision. Almost akin to tunnel vision perhaps. Further there is a constant stimuli from the gadget to the eye at the periphery of vision with changing speed display (and hence a constant sense of moving images) especially during city driving. To me that is quite disconcerting.
I have generally experienced this with the other windscreen gizmo - the Navigator.
As mentioned earlier the HUD usefulness is quite different for a combat flyer due to the complexities of the surroundings, need for multiple stimuli processing and the environment of aerial operations.

I am not sure whether over a period of time you train your eye and mind to ignore the constant stimulus from the HUD and pick it up only when you hard focus your physical senses on it while driving.

But yes to me the HUD, in whatever shape or size, is a distraction when driving.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 17:09   #150
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
2. I am not sure whether the same 'plug on' system exists in the Fortuner. And if it did, the steering wheel column area would nevertheless be needed to be toyed around with - at the level of electronics and/or the key barrel - even if it is couple of tugs here and there. Which for me is not a comfortable option.

3. As far as the HUD is concerned and the style of highway driving or on other roads - quite simply one trains oneself (as far as I am concerned) to look at the speedo for the briefest of moments after quick check on the road to see if there are any dangers/obstacles coming up. If clear (as perceived for say 10 secs ahead or so) I then glance down quickly and pick up/register the data.

I have generally experienced this with the other windscreen gizmo - the Navigator.
As mentioned earlier the HUD usefulness is quite different for a combat flyer due to the complexities of the surroundings, need for multiple stimuli processing and the environment of aerial operations.

I am not sure whether over a period of time you train your eye and mind to ignore the constant stimulus from the HUD and pick it up only when you hard focus your physical senses on it while driving.

But yes to me the HUD, in whatever shape or size, is a distraction when driving.
2) It does not have to be near your steering column sir. The power windows and mirrors would probably have a little control module somewhere, as would other parts and they would be linked to the ecu with a little can-bus system. This is with most cars today. So the little plug in thing could be at the other end of your car and yet know when the key has been turned and to what position.

3) Now lets not compare the HUD to your navigator. The navigator has a high res screen and is required to show much more details and it kind of is in your face. The HUD shows only a few details that too in a big font and is partly transparent. So naturally the HUD would be much easier to read than a navigator.

Secondly have your driven a Civic? Its speedometer is quite similar to a HUD and is designed to be in your line of sight. I'm pretty sure the part in bold does not happen with all Civic drivers. You have made it a reflex action after years of driving to glance down at the speedo, whereby taking your full eyesight of the road. With the HUD glancing at it you would still have limited vision of the road even if a bit out of focus.

I've driven and experienced a few cars with a HUD and hence I am saying all this. I request you to give it a shot, or have a demo of any Fortuner with this before forming such a strong opinion about it and comparing the Fortuner driver to an F18 pilot.

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks