Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2011, 20:45   #91
BHPian

re: Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
thats nice to Singhji, the Lakozy dealer in Mumbai Andheri has not seen / test driven it yet.

thank for the indo. This translates to the fact that the vehicle is being sent to the showrooms in a phased manner
No Bharathji, they did not drive it here but in Bangalore. That is what i was told. I dont think that they are going to launch it in a phased manner

Last edited by GTO : 27th December 2011 at 14:53. Reason: Minor typo correction. Please proof-read your posts before submitting them
Old 26th December 2011, 20:54   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajwasingh View Post
No Bharathji, they did not drive it here but in Bangalore. That is what i was told. I dont think that they are going to launch it in a phased manner
I mean to say that they are sending cars in a phased manner to dealers for displays and test drives and by Jan all dealers throught india will have a copy of the new fortuner.

It is news to me that the dealers are being called to Bangalore for a test drive. Thats nice. they could explain both technical and functional features there.

Last edited by GTO : 27th December 2011 at 14:54. Reason: Correcting quoted post which has been edited
Old 28th December 2011, 19:18   #93
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE: All Bookings made from today (maybe even couple of days back) would correspond to the Facelift Fortuner only. The Classic fortuner is available as ready stock with the dealer (If at all someone cancelled their booking to upgrade to the Facelift version)
Old 29th December 2011, 09:33   #94
Senior - BHPian

It also appears they've removed the revers parking sensors as well and added just the camera, without any distance indication. Strange it seems. I've noticed the same in the facelifted Innova as well.
Old 29th December 2011, 14:07   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What's new on the inside?

Why can't such an expensive SUV have an electronic High/Low ratio selector. The additional hand lever seems so "GYPSY/MM540" like. Even a (actually) much cheaper Grand Vitara is far better in this aspect.

Also the similiar looking tacky silver ICE system further elevates the INNOVA-ness of the dashboard. Should have used a sleek, flush fitting dark colored unit instead. Seems so like the downmarket huge T-Series cassette players you could see in buses & taxis of yore. Certainly robs the interiers of a premium 20L+ feel.
Old 29th December 2011, 14:12   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitartha View Post
Why can't such an expensive SUV have an electronic High/Low ratio selector. The additional hand lever seems so "GYPSY/MM540" like. Even a (actually) much cheaper Grand Vitara is far better in this aspect.

Also the similiar looking tacky silver ICE system further elevates the INNOVA-ness of the dashboard. Should have used a sleek, flush fitting dark colored unit instead. Seems so like the downmarket huge T-Series cassette players you could see in buses & taxis of yore. Certainly robs the interiers of a premium 20L+ feel.
Maybe because Toyota feels electronics aren't as reliable as a manual selector.
Yeah, The HU seems out of place.

Last edited by k2max6 : 29th December 2011 at 14:14.
Old 29th December 2011, 14:20   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some of us prefer the old fashioned, manual lever

Reliable and robust.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 14:25   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
Maybe because Toyota feels electronics aren't as reliable as a manual selector.
Yeah, The HU seems out of place.

Most car manufacturers have some form of arrangement with the electronics industry, such as music system, GPS etc., where they provide these to the cars at an extreme low cost, during the entire lifecycle of the vehicle. Ofcourse, these companies would be getting rid of their ex-stock! Its true of most cars!
Old 30th December 2011, 13:12   #99
Senior - BHPian

Finally, after more than 2 years the AT version for Fortuner comes to India.

Good Job Toyota, had been waiting for it.

Nice report GTO.

Also, thanks to BHPian for sharing the video explaining the gears.

I am not sure of one thing, why is that the 4x4 variant has higher turning radius? Isnt turning radius determined due to length and width of the vehicle, what it has to do with the 4x4 ?

Does the AT has Hill Descent Brake Control ? Hill Hold I mean.

Last edited by tanwaramit : 30th December 2011 at 13:15.
Old 30th December 2011, 13:33   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
I am not sure of one thing, why is that the 4x4 variant has higher turning radius? Isnt turning radius determined due to length and width of the vehicle, what it has to do with the 4x4 ?
The front wheel drive mechanicals for the 4X2 and 4X4 will be different and thats the reason for difference in turning radius. Additional mechanicals like front differential, front drive axle should cause this. Restriction in the movement of these mechanicals will influence the turning radius.
the VTEC guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 16:33   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does the AT has Hill Descent Brake Control ? Hill Hold I mean.
No, Its not available on TFORT. The Hill hold is available only in the "Land Cruiser" version of Toyota SUVs.
Old 30th December 2011, 23:49   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Why can't such an expensive SUV have an electronic High/Low ratio selector. The additional hand lever seems so "GYPSY/MM540" like. Even a (actually) much cheaper Grand Vitara is far better in this aspect..
From your statement, I gather you have never really ventured off-road. If you are into off-road scene, you will never want an electronic transfer case.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 10:31   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
No, Its not available on TFORT. The Hill hold is available only in the "Land Cruiser" version of Toyota SUVs.
thats sad, given the fact that Ford Fiesta AT also has it and generally all ATs have this feature.

Without Hill Hold, managing such a beast on uphills would be good task for drivers who are banking on AT as a luxury.
Old 31st December 2011, 10:52   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
From your statement, I gather you have never really ventured off-road. If you are into off-road scene, you will never want an electronic transfer case.
Absolutely agreed with you. Electronic Transfer Cases are a bummer, real offroading have to have a manual transfer case. Electronic Transfer Cases are at best suited for soft roaders and sedans.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 20:59   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thats sad, given the fact that Ford Fiesta AT also has it and generally all ATs have this feature.

Without Hill Hold, managing such a beast on uphills would be good task for drivers who are banking on AT as a luxury.
In my driving experience, I have never driven a "hill hold" featured vehicle. My driving is right from 800s to SUVs on all types of ghats, traffic etc.

IMHO, i never felt the need for a hill hold as the ideal way to practice hill hold is to use the Hand-brake or half-accel-half-clutch method. Be it ghats (Stopped at view points) or on a traffic infested flyover i never have felt the need to have a hill hold. Even in my santro, the handbrake and half-accel-half-clutch method is more than sufficient.

In fact in AT models its not needed at all. keep the hand-brake engaged, shift into "D" or "1" and accelerate slightly. When you feel a "bite" (A Force Pulling ahead), release the hand brake and continue to drive normally. Heck, you have your left foot idle, to assist in keeping the brake lever pressed (Not recommended, but if at all).

Last edited by scopriobharath : 2nd January 2012 at 21:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks