Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2012, 09:23   #166
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Is the Endeavour available in two AT variants - 4x2 & 4x4 ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Monaro,
The 4X4 Fortuner is only available in manual T. Good thing eh ?
Hi Monaro,
Sorry about that...realised it wasn't a complete post -
Endy is only available in AT in all the 3.0L engine variants including the limited edition Hurricane. The 2.5L engine 4X2 variant has a MT.

Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 10:45   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDA View Post
E-mailed the DSK Toyota - Pune for a test drive of the New Fortuner and they said they don't have a car and sent me the old one as the engine was the same. I said OK. On hearing this the wife and the child also decided to join. I had already clarified before the guy got the car that I was going to drive the heck out of it and he said no worries. So on this lovely day today got into this Black beast with the family in the same seating as we use in our Safari = Family seated in the middle row. Took the Fortuner through 1. Half a km of mud road. 2. Bad gravel road. 3. Undulated Tar road and 4. a Highway stretch (1 hour test drive)

Observations: Middle row really uncomfortable on all 4 surfaces. Occupants complained of Heavy Pitching, bouncy ride, could feel everything on the road. Hence thought the Tyre pressure was too much took it to my neighborhood bridgestone dealer checked it was 2 pounds more in all four tyres. Did not change the pitching nor did it change the stiff ride. Also another important observation from the back seat drivers that the middle row did not have enough under thigh support which the Safari has plenty of. hhhmm so I said to myself lets try the entire circuit with my car handed over the keys of the fortuner back. Family and me got into our car. Did the same route again (too their annoyance) as they already gave the verdict but I wanted to be 100% sure. And yes on all counts the safari still a stable more controlled and much much softer ride. I agree the safari suspensions have been worked more as it has done 55000 Kms but come on from a 25Lakh car I could expect better ride quality on an open road at the least. By the way the demo car was 2 years old and had 32000 on the speedo. Man....Fortuner just broke my heart I was all ready for it! Damn!
The Fortuner has a bouncy ride, plain interiors and less than optimal brakes. Mentioned in all reviews and ownership reports.

If one can deal with these, there are very powerful positives. Those of us who have opted for the Fortuner, did so because the positives outweigh the negatives for us.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 12th January 2012 at 10:48.
nilanjanray is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 11:02   #168
Senior - BHPian

Saw a 4 Full Page Spread Ad of the New Fortuner today in HT Delhi Front Page!!! Never saw it being so aggressively marketed before. Competition effect?

Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)-toyota-fortuner-ad1.jpg

Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)-toyota-fortuner-ad2.jpg

Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)-toyota-fortuner-ad3.jpg

Last edited by dkaile : 12th January 2012 at 11:17.
dkaile is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 11:37   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Monaro,

Hi koushik,
Hydraulic PS.
Thanks Guderian for the reply.
Earlier electric power steering was used for light passenger cars only.Later electric hydraulic power steering( EHPS) became applicable for SUV and LCV .EHPS can save engine power and may be better than HPS. For this reason I thought it interesting to know power steering in Fortuner.
Regards,
Koushik
Old 12th January 2012, 11:56   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Saw a 4 Full Page Spread Ad of the New Fortuner today in HT Delhi Front Page!!! Never saw it being so aggressively marketed before. Competition effect?

Attachment 870489
Thanks for sharing the ad. May be they are planning to increase supply capacity and I hope they do. Since it has been launched they are not able to go over 1000 pcs per month.
Old 12th January 2012, 11:58   #171
Senior - BHPian

One anomaly I noted in this full page ad is that they have showed VSC switch on the Auto transmission version. As far as my knowledge goes VSC is 'only' in the 4x4 version. Mods may clarify or is it another adv goof-up by Toyota as usual??

Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)-toyota-fortuner-ad4.jpg
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 14:51   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One anomaly I noted in this full page ad is that they have showed VSC switch on the Auto transmission version. As far as my knowledge goes VSC is 'only' in the 4x4 version. Mods may clarify or is it another adv goof-up by Toyota as usual??
Hi dkaile,
I think the 4X2 ATs also come with the VSC programme.
Grrr...now its only the Classic Fortuner which doesn't have this useful thingamajig !
Old 12th January 2012, 15:32   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 870521
Quote:
Hi dkaile,
I think the 4X2 ATs also come with the VSC programme.
Grrr...now its only the Classic Fortuner which doesn't have this useful thingamajig !
Toyota's website says that VSC is available only on the 4X4 Manual. I think it is just a switch that is placed for demonstration purpose with the disclaimer that "Fetaures / accessories portrayed here are not a part of the standard equipment"
Old 12th January 2012, 16:34   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Toyota's website says that VSC is available only on the 4X4 Manual. I think it is just a switch that is placed for demonstration purpose with the disclaimer that "Fetaures / accessories portrayed here are not a part of the standard equipment"
Is that right ? I stand corrected. Sorry !
It was also mentioned clearly in GTO's review that only the 4X4 comes with the VSC prog.

Should have realised *hand thunking the forehead*!
I think logically/conceptually it not be possible to have a VSC system unless there is an attendant 4X4 system. That right ?

Last edited by Guderian : 12th January 2012 at 16:40.
Old 12th January 2012, 18:10   #175
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Endy is only available in AT in all the 3.0L engine variants including the limited edition Hurricane. The 2.5L engine 4X2 variant has a MT.
The 3.0 engine in the Endy also has an A/T in a 4x2 version FYI.

Quote:
I think logically/conceptually it not be possible to have a VSC system unless there is an attendant 4X4 system. That right ?
The only thing VSC/ESP/DSC etc etc needs is ABS so that it has braking control over the individual wheels. 4x4 is not needed for VSC.
Old 12th January 2012, 19:03   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

The only thing VSC/ESP/DSC etc etc needs is ABS so that it has braking control over the individual wheels. 4x4 is not needed for VSC.
Given that Fortuner 2WD has ABS/EBD, is it fair to say that all that is needed for VSC is a on/off push button toggle which kicks the VSC software module in the ECU to start monitoring and act?

Last edited by BlackRaven : 12th January 2012 at 19:07. Reason: Changed ESC to VSC
Old 12th January 2012, 20:34   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is exactly what I mentioned in the post. Only the 2.5 L 4X2 has the M/T. Which basically meant that all 3.0L variants including the 4X2 have only the A/T, FYI.

Quote:

Thanks ! Realised that after a quick check of the net.

But also discovered that Toyota gives the VSC as a standard feature on all its SUVs in the US/European (?) markets and has been doing so since 2004. Surprising not in India. SE Asia markets for the Fortuner ?
Not required here that badly because the road conditions may not be all that treacherous - snow/sleet etc or just plain economics ? But I guess in the rains that'll be a real boon on mirror top roads and other conditions.

Last edited by Guderian : 12th January 2012 at 20:55.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 01:11   #178
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
Given that Fortuner 2WD has ABS/EBD, is it fair to say that all that is needed for VSC is a on/off push button toggle which kicks the VSC software module in the ECU to start monitoring and act?
VSC is more than just a software. It would have its own control module too and would be monitoring many parameters. Infact it probably does have a couple sensors of its own too.

Quote:
That is exactly what I mentioned in the post. Only the 2.5 L 4X2 has the M/T. Which basically meant that all 3.0L variants including the 4X2 have only the A/T, FYI.

Thanks ! Realised that after a quick check of the net.
My mistake, misread it
Old 13th January 2012, 02:43   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But also discovered that Toyota gives the VSC as a standard feature on all its SUVs in the US/European (?) markets and has been doing so since 2004. Surprising not in India. SE Asia markets for the Fortuner ?
My guesses:

1. Fortuner was developed for the developing world - and Toyota could get away without offering it. In the developed markets, people demand (and competition dictates) more safety - so the 6 airbags, VSC etc. even for basic vehicles. When I was researching the SX4, I saw that it came with more power and better safety at same or lower price in other countries. And SX4 was built in India, so didn't have the CBU/CKD excuse. So it is not Toyota - anyone who can will maximize their profits at our cost as long as they can get away with it.

2a. Our lives are cheaper.
2b. We Indians are better drivers. Or extra stability is a waste given that we drive on unstable roads filled with crazy drivers, pedestrians and animals.
2c. We have tougher bodies and survive without curtain airbags/survive toppled vehicles.
2d. We are also better navigators - we don't need built in GPS that Fortuners in other countries were getting years back

Regarding VSC on just 4X4 version: most of the toppling over incidents happened on dirt roads at high speeds, at least in South Africa. I think that logic Toyota followed was that one wouldn't go on dirt roads - especially on high speeds - if one didn't have 4X4. So give VSC to just the 4X4 version (was the case in South Africa). What I didn't get was why the Diesel 3.0 got VSC and why the petrol version didn't.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 13th January 2012 at 02:46.
nilanjanray is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2012, 09:05   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
You are right. I was tilted towards 4x4 just for the VSC, but I know I would never take this to hardcore offroading and hence thought auto box is a better choice. It was bad of Toyota to skip VSC in non 4x4 variants.
Booked the facelift model long back and delivery is due now. For people booking now, the SA to
ld me that the waiting period should not exceed 30 to 45
Hi blackraven did you check out the new fortuner in flesh at the dealershipp,we here in punjab still have not seen it. How does it look in real.i think my anxeity is getting the better of me

Last edited by manson : 16th January 2012 at 21:28.

Most Viewed