Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2012, 17:12   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Dark Knight has arrived-Pearl Black VW Vento TDi Highline Update-1st Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
the original driver side wiper has wind deflector member. I dont see that in the dyna edge. But i also see an inbuilt groove on it. Is it inbuilt with wind deflection?
Yes, the inbuilt groove is for air deflection. DynaEdge look aesthetically great.

Quote:
hi el lobo, i was looking closely at the pics. Noticed something on the front shocker stubb. Attached is the pic. Is the bolt missing on the left side? though there is no nut groove. Good to check once.

Attachment 968697
I too had a look at the pic earlier and with no nut groove, didn't bother further checking. But now will have a look at it.

Can you have a look in your Vento for the nut. I will be surprised to have driven for 16 months without a screw on the suspension.
Old 13th August 2012, 23:09   #152
BHPian

Re: The Dark Knight has arrived-Pearl Black VW Vento TDi Highline Update-1st Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
First of all congratulations on owning the best drivers car in C segment. The 250NM torque and slick shifting gearbox will get you addicted sooner than later.

First of all 120/110 would be an overkill for the headlamp casing and the wiring. Secondly 4400K would be all about show and not much improvement in visibility.

My suggestion would be stay within 4000K range. Because higher you go lower becomes the illumination. Go with 100/90 bulbs with either Bosch or Hella relay only.

Regarding bulbs I did suggest following to you.

1. Philips Essential Vision 100/90W - Gives you 100/90 power with white light effect. I too have these on my car.

2. Philips Essential Power 100/90W - Gives you yellow color light with 100/90W power. If you don't white light effect, these will be your best bet in 100/90 range.

3. Philips X-treme Vision 60/55 - It is of same OEM rating of 60/55W and gives 100% more light, Philips claim. Saves you the hassle of relay.

Make your choice as per your requirement. The shops at Vashi Sec-17 are good to source product you require. Ultimately it boils down to find a good mechanic who can do the perfect job. I actually got the relay installed from VW Workshop and later upgraded to white light bulb on my own, DiY.

White Light Transformation on my Vento, DiY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
agree with El Lobo. 120/110 will be an overkill. Its bad for the reflectors and they deteriorate at a much faster rate. On top of that, you will blind oncoming traffic. I have the Philips essential vision 100/90 and I must say that the yellowish white light really makes a black car look good. Visibility is good in the rains as well.
Thanks for the reply El Lobo and Shome. Will be going to Vashi tomorrow. Essential Vision do make most sense, so will opt for them. Will make sure I get Bosch or Hella relays though !
Old 14th August 2012, 15:29   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the inbuilt groove is for air deflection. DynaEdge look aesthetically great.

I too had a look at the pic earlier and with no nut groove, didn't bother further checking. But now will have a look at it.

Can you have a look in your Vento for the nut. I will be surprised to have driven for 16 months without a screw on the suspension.
checked! there is only one nut i don't understand the mechanical funda of just one nut
newtonMeter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2012, 05:24   #154

That's a very well maintained car!! it's difficult to keep a car looking that good especially in Mumbai.

Quote:

3M tyre dreesing. Went off in first rain car went out. Cannot complain about it though, was expected.
Just a recommendation - if you want the dressing to last longer, try using Meguiar's hot shine tire foam, it's a spray and walk away product - the shine it leaves behind is silky and lasts for sometime even when the car is driven through rains.
Old 18th August 2012, 10:22   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Oops. got the quote of attachments incorrect.

Those are awesome seats? What make and where did you get it done?
Old 26th August 2012, 22:53   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
Those are awesome seats? What make and where did you get it done?
Sorry for late reply, been travelling and out of touch with Team-BHP.

The seats are Leatherette seat covers from VW and costs around Rs. 7000 approx, IIRC. They surely look good and many people have appreciated them. They are snug fit. But the only grouse is that they make you sweat a bit more compared to normal fabric seat. Only solution is to have perforated seat covers for leatherette and leather. Current Vento TDi HL used to come with perforated leatherette seat cover which surely are better for more airy feel.
Old 6th September 2012, 11:11   #157

Note to mods: If this doesn't belong here please move to the lighting thread. I am replying here as el lobo has explained the head lamp change for vento here.

Quote:
To change over to 100/90W bulbs the first most important thing is getting relays as 100/90W cause lot of heat. You should either get Bosch or PMP, both of them are good, I have PMP though.
I had changed over to Philips 100/90W with PMP relays long back.
Did you do the relay installation yourself? or did you get it done through the VW workshop? or outside? will there be any problem with the warranty if we get another relay installed?

Some of the threads/posts I read there is no cutting of wires, so no warranty void. But in some other posts I read that the stock wiring is not capable to take high current needed by these higher wattage lamps. So one needs to change the wiring to thicker wiring. Doesn't this mean we are messing with wiring and won't there be a problem for the warranty?

Is there a relay already installed? (I haven't got the car delivered yet) if there is one already, do we need to install a second one? Or there is no relay for stock 60/55 lamps and we need one now for 100/90W lamps??

Quote:
Recently I wanted to change over to White light instead of the yellow light which we have in stock bulbs. White any day looks far better than yellow light. Most people say white light doesn't have good fog penetration but the ones I was getting were 4300K which are white light with a tinge of yellow and would easily suffice plus you get the looks.
I have 100/90 in my Alto. But it doesn't look like white light. Is it because I don't have sufficient number of relays installed (does it require two??) One of my uncles got it changed to 100/90 when the car was with him for a long time. So I don't know whether they installed an extra relay or not. I see one relay in the engine bay. Once in a while the lamp keeps getting burned out. So I keep getting it replaced. Still the light doesn't look white. It looks much much brighter than the stock bulb. But essentially it looks yellowish.

Quote:
I was thinking over getting Philips EssentialVision H4 100/90W costs Rs. 300 per piece.
The bulbs in my Alto are Philips H4 100/90 12569EV (does this mean Essential vision??, because I saw in Philips website and found a similar part number or description for the essential vision H4 100/90). But these bulbs cost me only Rs.175 per piece. and the packing is different from the ones you have shown in one of the posts. My bulbs were in small cardboard boxes unlike yours which are sealed in plastic.

Sorry for too many questions. I am about to get my vento delivered in the next 10 days. so trying to gather/gain knowledge before it reaches me.

Regards
Sreekanth
Old 7th September 2012, 15:08   #158
Senior - BHPian

First of all congrats on your Vento. You would be aware there's even a new refreshed Vento that has been launched. Hoping you get new one which comes at slight lower price for Highline with more goodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akula.sreekanth View Post
Did you do the relay installation yourself? or did you get it done through the VW workshop? or outside? will there be any problem with the warranty if we get another relay installed?
Well I actually got relay installed from VW workshop just because of goodwill of parts manager over there. But I checked myself, installing is easy work not much problem. But since you would be purchasing it from a shop, they would easily install without any cutting of wires. 10 mins job flat.

Quote:
Some of the threads/posts I read there is no cutting of wires, so no warranty void. But in some other posts I read that the stock wiring is not capable to take high current needed by these higher wattage lamps. So one needs to change the wiring to thicker wiring. Doesn't this mean we are messing with wiring and won't there be a problem for the warranty?
First of all installing relay doesn't result in any cutting of wire, simple plug-n-play. The stock wiring is very capable of taking 60/55 wattage and even 100/90 to a certain extent.

But 100/90 result in lot of heat and draws more current. So if anything happens either relay that you install goes kaput or the 2 30A fuse which roughly cost Rs. 5 merely. Its been 1.5 yrs since installing the relay and most of time, just the fuse goes out which I just replace myself.

VW can be finicky about warranty, since using 100/90W can result in headlight assembly to fade earlier because of heat. Well thats not a manufacturing fault, so VW ought not to honor it, but if you approach them after removing relay and putting back 60/55W bulbs they will. As they wont see any change.

No need to change to thicker wiring. Just get Bosch/Hella/Philips or PMP relay if the former three are not available and you can install 100/90W bulb without any problems.

Quote:
Is there a relay already installed? (I haven't got the car delivered yet) if there is one already, do we need to install a second one? Or there is no relay for stock 60/55 lamps and we need one now for 100/90W lamps??
No idea about any relay installed but there definitely be one and fuse to see to that if any problem occurs.

As a thumb rule if you plan to go with 100/90W bulbs install a Bosch/Hella/Philips relay without an iota of doubt.

Quote:
I have 100/90 in my Alto. But it doesn't look like white light. Is it because I don't have sufficient number of relays installed (does it require two??) One of my uncles got it changed to 100/90 when the car was with him for a long time. So I don't know whether they installed an extra relay or not. I see one relay in the engine bay. Once in a while the lamp keeps getting burned out. So I keep getting it replaced. Still the light doesn't look white. It looks much much brighter than the stock bulb. But essentially it looks yellowish.
The Philips EssentialVision 100/90W that I'm having are true white, no yellow tinge. The color output of light has got nothing to do with number of relays. Lastly there is just one relay installed which takes care of both RHS & LHS headlight H4 bulb.

Quote:
The bulbs in my Alto are Philips H4 100/90 12569EV (does this mean Essential vision??, because I saw in Philips website and found a similar part number or description for the essential vision H4 100/90). But these bulbs cost me only Rs.175 per piece. and the packing is different from the ones you have shown in one of the posts. My bulbs were in small cardboard boxes unlike yours which are sealed in plastic.
Well I purchased the bulbs from Philips Dealer at Opera House Mumbai, and its Genuine Philips, no doubt.

The price I got for is Rs. 300 that too at dealer rate, there is no possibility that you could get the same for as much as half price of Rs. 175. They definitely are fake which is why you ain't getting white light and bulbs going kaput regularly.

Quote:
Sorry for too many questions. I am about to get my vento delivered in the next 10 days. so trying to gather/gain knowledge before it reaches me.
No problems, let me know if you have any further query. Congrats on your Vento all over again.

To sum up all the above.

1. If you wish to go for 100/90W have a Bosch/Hella/Philips relay installed.
2. Get the work done from a reputed shop who knows the work and sells Genuine products.

You could also get in touch with fellow bhpians @nileshch, @joslicx and @newtonmeter; all of them Vento owner and in Banglore. They could help you out and let you know respective shops to get the work done.
Old 26th September 2012, 16:42   #159
Senior - BHPian

Few Updates :

Crossed another rather small milestone of 7000 kms in 1.5 yrs of ownership. Not bad.

Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-26092012781.jpg

How is the car performing?

1. No problem except for a slight clicking noise from steering column due to bad roads which I would be only rectifying in the second paid service in Apr'13.
2. Car came shod with JK Tyres and are performing really well. No punctures, sidewall cuts. Touchwod. Real tough tires.
3. Engine performing well spooling turbo from 1500 rpm to 2500 rpm, which sometimes actually feels like 3000 rpm.
4. Regular detailing keeps black shining like new. Would be detailing car in Oct after a gap of 2 months.
5. Kiirus have come up with a remap for 1.6 TDi which gives an output 130+ PS 323 NM torque. Wicked. But sadly would get it done after expiry of 2+2 years extended warranty.

All together car feels like new.

Would be going for another 1000+ Kms trip next weekend, so easily would cross 8000 kms mark. Ninjatalli & Mikon with their regular trips on their respective Das Auto have been the inspiration
Old 27th September 2012, 23:23   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061
Few Updates :

Crossed another rather small milestone of 7000 kms in 1.5 yrs of ownership. Not bad.

How is the car performing?

1. No problem except for a slight clicking noise from steering column due to bad roads which I would be only rectifying in the second paid service in Apr'13.
2. Car came shod with JK Tyres and are performing really well. No punctures, sidewall cuts. Touchwod. Real tough tires.
3. Engine performing well spooling turbo from 1500 rpm to 2500 rpm, which sometimes actually feels like 3000 rpm.
4. Regular detailing keeps black shining like new. Would be detailing car in Oct after a gap of 2 months.
5. Kiirus have come up with a remap for 1.6 TDi which gives an output 130+ PS 323 NM torque. Wicked. But sadly would get it done after expiry of 2+2 years extended warranty.

All together car feels like new.

Would be going for another 1000+ Kms trip next weekend, so easily would cross 8000 kms mark. Ninjatalli & Mikon with their regular trips on their respective Das Auto have been the inspiration
El lobo! I must say I am shocked! Just 7000 kms in 1.5 yrs? How is it possible! How did you manage to get so little on the ODO?
Old 28th September 2012, 00:44   #161
Senior - BHPian

Thats a good nifty update, though 7000 in 1.5 years is extremely low for a car like Vento, you must drive more, its such an addictive car to drive that i find ways to log miles onto it every now and then.

What is the noise from the steering column? Anything like the famous Hyundai i20 rattle from steering?

Quote:
El lobo! I must say I am shocked! Just 7000 kms in 1.5 yrs? How is it possible! How did you manage to get so little on the ODO?
Coz he is busy detailing his dark knight every now and then that he hardly gets any time to drive it , our official car detailer guru of team bhp.
Old 28th September 2012, 09:27   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

^ 7000 km in 1.5 years for a TDI is truly ridiculous. My petrol AT has done 30,000 km in the same period. Not to mention I have paid about 8 times what you have for fuel!

Hey el lobo, wanna switch cars?
Old 28th September 2012, 11:13   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

^^Or just exchange the car with mikon for a few weeks, he'll double the kms pretty fast. Plus no-one else would really worry, considering we are exchanging black ventos! Lol..
Old 28th September 2012, 15:31   #164
Senior - BHPian

Refueled the car for tomorrows drive and it returned an avg of 15.86 Kmpl within city. Not bad.

Quote:
Vento being a family car its used sparingly compared to the other car Ford Fiesta TDCi which has already clocked 15000 Kms in 9 months. Vento is used for outstation trips all thanks to its driving dynamics and the sheer prowess of 250NM. Will be doing 250+ kms daily for next 4 days which should clock 1000+ kms easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Thats a good nifty update, though 7000 in 1.5 years is extremely low for a car like Vento, you must drive more, its such an addictive car to drive that i find ways to log miles onto it every now and then.
Addressing that problem with tomorrows drive, a little bit.

Quote:
What is the noise from the steering column? Anything like the famous Hyundai i20 rattle from steering?
No not like i20. Its just I went too quick over some potholes and since then there is some clicking noise when there are some undulation. Keep the music volume at 6 and you wouldn't notice it.

Quote:
Coz he is busy detailing his dark knight every now and then that he hardly gets any time to drive it , our official car detailer guru of team bhp.
Thanks for the title, but there are bhpians who are much better than me but they don't elaborate much about their work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
^ 7000 km in 1.5 years for a TDI is truly ridiculous. My petrol AT has done 30,000 km in the same period. Not to mention I have paid about 8 times what you have for fuel!

Hey el lobo, wanna switch cars?
Anoop, you should have gone for TDi, but just it didn't come with a DSG, otherwise it suits you over all.

I would be passing by within Pune city tomorrow early morning en-rote to my destination, then we could switch the cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
^^Or just exchange the car with mikon for a few weeks, he'll double the kms pretty fast. Plus no-one else would really worry, considering we are exchanging black ventos! Lol..
That's a great idea but his Mamba would be missing out on him and clocking very few kilometers while being with me.
Old 7th October 2012, 09:12   #165
Senior - BHPian

Update:

Another drive of 1000+ Kms from Vashi, Navi Mumbai to Aurangabad did last weekend. One way distance being 370 kms which was covered in a span of 6 hrs. Vento TDi with 5 pax as usual was a bliss to drive and sheer torque was always available for overtaking.

Will be putting up some pics and more details shortly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks