Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2012, 15:47   #766
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

My Silky Silver Ertiga ZDi with alloy wheels have been despatched and would arrive tomorrow at the dealer.

I just went with my gut feeling and not rationality when I waited for the one with alloys rather than getting one without alloys,in spite of all advices here.

But now I am facing a peculiar dilemma. I have been told by the SA , that MSIL have now made it mandatory for prospective buyers to take insurance from 'them'. I was like, what the ...!!
He is saying, I am free to avail loan from any institutions ( Govt/Non-Govt/NBFCs) , but insurance has to be from 'them' . So , obviously I asked that since when MSIL has started providing insurance ?!!

He says, MSIL has made it mandatory to get New Car Insurance from either of these three - the 'them's - ICICI Lombard, Bajaj Allianz or Royal Sundaram !! So then I say that this can't be true and I can take insurance from anybody I like. He says that this has been decided by MSIL and it is binding. Auto loans can be from anybody but insurance has to be from these three and the reason why he is saying is, the loan provider usually clubs the insurance with the loan. That is why he is informing me priorly , before I finalize a loan deal ! He also states that this is valid for Ertiga ( any model ) , Swift and Swift Dezire only !!
This has been told to me by Machino Techno, Kolkata ( authorised Maruti dealer ) !!

Now , obviously my question is , is this true ? Maybe MSIL has tied up with the above three Private insurance firms ( they are providing cashless insurance with pan-India eligibility at any A$$) .But how do I confirm this ?

So what do I do at this stage ? The OTR price with 3rd & 4rth year Extended Warranty , handling and logistics charge is coming to
Rs 9,97,851 !! Also is handling / logistics charge valid ?
ultimatechamp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 17:17   #767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
My Silky Silver Ertiga ZDi with alloy wheels have been despatched and would arrive tomorrow at the dealer.

I just went with my gut feeling and not rationality when I waited for the one with alloys rather than getting one without alloys,in spite of all advices here.

But now I am facing a peculiar dilemma. I have been told by the SA , that MSIL have now made it mandatory for prospective buyers to take insurance from 'them'. I was like, what the ...!!
He is saying, I am free to avail loan from any institutions ( Govt/Non-Govt/NBFCs) , but insurance has to be from 'them' . So , obviously I asked that since when MSIL has started providing insurance ?!!

He says, MSIL has made it mandatory to get New Car Insurance from either of these three - the 'them's - ICICI Lombard, Bajaj Allianz or Royal Sundaram !! So then I say that this can't be true and I can take insurance from anybody I like. He says that this has been decided by MSIL and it is binding. Auto loans can be from anybody but insurance has to be from these three and the reason why he is saying is, the loan provider usually clubs the insurance with the loan. That is why he is informing me priorly , before I finalize a loan deal ! He also states that this is valid for Ertiga ( any model ) , Swift and Swift Dezire only !!
This has been told to me by Machino Techno, Kolkata ( authorised Maruti dealer ) !!

Now , obviously my question is , is this true ? Maybe MSIL has tied up with the above three Private insurance firms ( they are providing cashless insurance with pan-India eligibility at any A$$) .But how do I confirm this ?

So what do I do at this stage ? The OTR price with 3rd & 4rth year Extended Warranty , handling and logistics charge is coming to
Maruti has a concept of Maruti insurance(tie up of either royal sundaram,national insurance or few others as you mentioned above) It helps in making near cashless claims and fast processing.

It is definitely much faster and smoother with respect to claims though But i am not sure if they can force you into it.

But what is your real concern ? Taking insurance from outside is cheaper ?

Have you asked if they are willing to transfer your existing NCB to maruti insurance ? that way you can save upto 50% of the insurance premium(depending on your old claims)
Old 11th December 2012, 23:54   #768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Maruti has a concept of Maruti insurance(tie up of either royal sundaram,national insurance or few others as you mentioned above) It helps in making near cashless claims and fast processing.

It is definitely much faster and smoother with respect to claims though But i am not sure if they can force you into it.

But what is your real concern ? Taking insurance from outside is cheaper ?

Have you asked if they are willing to transfer your existing NCB to maruti insurance ? that way you can save upto 50% of the insurance premium(depending on your old claims)
What exactly is this Maruti Insurance ? Is it something that is official or something in the grey area ? As because I have no knowledge of this inspite of having bought 2 Maruti cars on earlier occasions. I doubt if this is with National Insurance as the Maruti SA did not mention National Insurance even once, but he did name the other three.
They have verbally confirmed that it would be cashless (which National Insurance is Not , I know as I have National Insurance for my other car ) and valid for any Authorised Service Center of Maruti within India.

My real concern , number one is, is this some sort of pressure tactics by the concerned dealer ? Have anyone else faced this with recent Maruti vehicle purchase ? If this is legit/really some kinda Maruti tie-up then it is fine with me.
Number two, I guess National Insurance would have been cheaper and I had discussed with the chap who does my other Insurances ( namely Mediclaim,other car Insurance,Indemnity Insurance etc). In that case going with my existing insurance agent with existing Insurance company would have been definitely cheaper.

By the way, I have already posted a query regarding this "Insurance by Maruti tie-up" and the logistic and handling charge at the MSIL website by filling up the form there today late afternoon. Today evening a dude claiming from MSIL called me up regarding my query, and I said I am driving,can you please call me after half n hour,to which he said yeah ok. But then he did not call again today. Let me see what MSIL/their representative has to say about these two queries tomorrow.

Lastly, about transferring of NCB , I forgot to ask these guys and I will definitely do so tomorrow. Thanks for reminding me rajshenoy.
Old 12th December 2012, 14:29   #769
BHPian

Ask them to give it in writing or to show on MSIL website etc. These are all standard SA ploys and don't fall for them. If nothing works, complain to Maruti customer care number. But, also see how much they are quoting and compare it with outside quotes. If the difference is not much, you can take from them.
Old 12th December 2012, 16:34   #770
BHPian

Quote:

Not at all true. I know at-least a dozen of ppl who took delivery of the car from dealer and insured the same day / later outside. Here im talking about maruti only. Normally if you already own / owned a car & you're relatively good (experienced) in driving then don't go for maruti insurance. They are damn expensive. For Ertiga ZDi with steel wheel (IDV 8.75 lacs) the quote from policy bazaar is 14-20k.
That's min 10k cheaper than Maruti insurance. Also if you already owned / own a car you can transfer your NCB to your new insurance. For me I get 50% NCB. Then the premium is reduced to just 7-10k.
Old 12th December 2012, 17:16   #771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravigop View Post
Also if you already owned / own a car you can transfer your NCB to your new insurance. For me I get 50% NCB. Then the premium is reduced to just 7-10k.
Pardon my ignorance, but is it possible to transfer NCB on my existing vehicle to the new vehicle without selling the existing vehicle ? In other words, do i need to sell my existing vehicle to transfer the NCB to the new vehicle ?
Old 12th December 2012, 17:56   #772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but is it possible to transfer NCB on my existing vehicle to the new vehicle without selling the existing vehicle ? In other words, do i need to sell my existing vehicle to transfer the NCB to the new vehicle ?
You can cancel your existing car's policy and get an NCB certificate from the Insurer. You can use this to get the NCB transferred to your new car.
Contact your insurance company for the procedure, they will help you out with this.
You can buy a new policy for your existing car at lesser price compared to the new car.
Old 12th December 2012, 19:47   #773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Not at all true. I know at-least a dozen of ppl who took delivery of the car from dealer and insured the same day / later outside. Here im talking about maruti only. Normally if you already own / owned a car & you're relatively good (experienced) in driving then don't go for maruti insurance. They are damn expensive. For Ertiga ZDi with steel wheel (IDV 8.75 lacs) the quote from policy bazaar is 14-20k.
That's min 10k cheaper than Maruti insurance. Also if you already owned / own a car you can transfer your NCB to your new insurance. For me I get 50% NCB. Then the premium is reduced to just 7-10k.
You see a maruti logo along with insurance company logo and they call that maruti insurance

That aside, only advantage i can think of this smoother claims since service center can get the claim assessment and approvals without you having to roam around

But all this is not worth 10k extra premium i feel
Old 13th December 2012, 10:48   #774
BHPian

Quote:

It is not mandatory to take insurance from Maruti. In fact when I was to get my Zdi the dealer told me the same thing. Finally I went ahead with Royal Sundaram and saved over 5k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nistala View Post
Ask them to give it in writing or to show on MSIL website etc. These are all standard SA ploys and don't fall for them. If nothing works, complain to Maruti customer care number. But, also see how much they are quoting and compare it with outside quotes. If the difference is not much, you can take from them.
Yes correct. I too told the dealer that I would write to Maruti, but then the GM spoke to me and agreed. Only thing he asked was a mail from me stating that I would like to go ahead with insurance myself so that he could forward it to Maruti.
Old 13th December 2012, 17:10   #775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
You can cancel your existing car's policy and get an NCB certificate from the Insurer. You can use this to get the NCB transferred to your new car.
Contact your insurance company for the procedure, they will help you out with this.
You can buy a new policy for your existing car at lesser price compared to the new car.
In my case im currently owning both cars hence i decided to just cancel NCB in my old car insurance by paying back the NCB amount i got as discount (prorated) when i renewed my insurance last Sept. That NCB will be transferred to my new insurance. In this process i saved 45% of premium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
It is not mandatory to take insurance from Maruti. In fact when I was to get my Zdi the dealer told me the same thing. Finally I went ahead with Royal Sundaram and saved over 5k.

Yes correct. I too told the dealer that I would write to Maruti, but then the GM spoke to me and agreed. Only thing he asked was a mail from me stating that I would like to go ahead with insurance myself so that he could forward it to Maruti.

Yes they will insist that we need to go with them, but if you refuse they will come down to good quote. I negotiated my premium from Maruti insurance and got a discount of 24K by removing bumper - bumper coverage. Then i transferred my NCB from old policy and now the net i pay is around 14k.
Old 14th December 2012, 12:30   #776
BHPian

I got a SMS today morning from VM500466 stating "Congratulations on ERTIGA booking @ PRATHAM MOTORS. You are eligible for a customer Docket with written commitments. Team Maruti. Tollfree No. 1800 102 1800".

May i know did anyone receive anything similiar ? I actually booked my car (Zdi with alloys) Sept 6th & last week i was told the car is alloted (zdi with steel wheels) & paid in full for it yesterday. Im awaiting car arrival at stock yard & probably tomorrow / Monday will get it registered.

Why am i getting this message now ? Does this mean the dealer actually books the car on full payment ? Confused .. any one here with same / similar experience. ?

In this connected ERA i must say that this complete process of booking, allotment, delivery lacks transparency.
Old 14th December 2012, 15:30   #777
BHPian

Quote:
... I actually booked my car (Zdi with alloys) Sept 6th & last week i was told the car is alloted (zdi with steel wheels) & paid in full for it yesterday. Im awaiting car arrival at stock yard & probably tomorrow / Monday will get it registered.

Why am i getting this message now ? Does this mean the dealer actually books the car on full payment ?..
Slightly off topic to your question, but related. I hear that the diesel Ertiga is available immediately for delivery once full payment is done (by self or through loan) nowadays. Why did you have to wake for 3+ months for its delivery? Conversely, looks like the actual booking & delivery was done only when you paid them (going in line with what I mentioned). Was the longer booking period specifically for ZDi version? (I can confirm of immediate delivery for for VDi model since I know someone who purchased recently).

Last edited by null : 14th December 2012 at 15:37. Reason: Edit
Old 14th December 2012, 20:59   #778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Slightly off topic to your question, but related. I hear that the diesel Ertiga is available immediately for delivery once full payment is done (by self or through loan) nowadays. Why did you have to wake for 3+ months for its delivery? Conversely, looks like the actual booking & delivery was done only when you paid them (going in line with what I mentioned). Was the longer booking period specifically for ZDi version? (I can confirm of immediate delivery for for VDi model since I know someone who purchased recently).
Yes the executive told me that booking was again done in my name today to alloted the vehicle to my name. I actually booked Zdi with alloys & the vehicle alloted is with steel wheels. On visiting the stock yard and checking i noticed that the VIN last two digits are "LC" which translates to Nov 2012. Also there were clearance tickets from factory loading unit dated 1st Dec 2012. One thing i understood was irrespective of vehicle demand & waiting period there are people who still refuse to take delivery at the end of the year. So vehicles alloted for those ppl who booked & refused to take delivery in Dec are being alloted to others in the list or to Walkin customers. When we were deciding on accessories & finishing up registration formalities i noticed few walkin enquires converted to bookings with promise of deliveries in 1 week. As we near end of the year im sure if demanded we will get discounts upto 25k even for diesel Ertiga (during last two days of the year) as the dealer can't sit on 2012 model in 2013.
Old 14th December 2012, 22:33   #779
BHPian

Looks and Styling

It is not that vehicle which grabs your attention but this is a pretty decent vehicle.The front looks identical to the maruti swift [ as it is based on the swift platform ] and the rear has some similarity to the honda jazz.Well the most attractive part is the side as far as i am concerned.There is a face lifted ertiga coming sometime next year which gives me some relief.

Comfort

Love the front and second row seats, push back the front seats and then you have acres of space left in the middle row.well the third row ain't bad either but I highly recommend the last row only for kids.Thigh support is excellent and ride comfort is good.

Pickup

The engine feels a little under powered until the 2000 rpm mark after which the turbo kicks in and leashes out its horses.Well the turbo lag doesn't bother you much unless you've got some heavy jumbos.
comparison between the Innova and Ertiga.

Performance in seconds

Innova:
0-60:6.6
0-100:17.50
3rd gear 20-80:14.39.
4Th gear 40-100:19.50.
Ertiga
0-60:5.46
0-100:14.28
3rd gear 20-80:11.14.
4th gear 40-100:12.71.

Mileage
Claimed
City:17.77kmpl
highway:20kmpl
The Maruti Ertiga can achieve a mileage of 30 kmpl if one's driving at 60 kmph in the 5th gear and under the 2000 rpm mark.

Features

Although this car is packed with features, it misses out in some essential features even in the top variant such as automatic climate control, parking sensors, Bluetooth connectivity and air quality control. The rest features are standard.

Areas which are to be improved.

Styling [ the front and rear ].But the face lifted one looks much better.
Features [ as mentioned above ].
Interiors [ There should have been some alternative to the present color ].
Pickup [ The T jet engine of the fiat would have been really cool ].
Space [ A little more legroom and headroom and 135 lts of boot space if far from satisfactory ]

Overall Experience

It is a value for money car if you are looking for a family car. Maruti has got it right again with the Ertiga. But if your are looking for some powerful suv's, you may consider the duster or the Xuv 500.
Old 15th December 2012, 00:15   #780
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recallers View Post
....There is a face lifted ertiga coming sometime next year which gives me some relief.....

Styling [ the front and rear ].But the face lifted one looks much better....
Where did you get the information on the facelift? How do you even say the facelifted one is better looking?

Most Viewed