Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2017, 13:32   #3076
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Yes, this was my exact thought. Nothing to do with working hard. It must be working as usual but the cooling effect isn't felt inside the cabin and when you are driving under hot sun, that feeling grips you hinting you that the AC is weak and so is the car while you keep sweating.

But what makes you say that the AC Is working Harder? And if you are relating this to performance of your vehicle, how is it when the AC is switched off?

Additionally, make sure to check the AC Condensor fins behind the Bumper for dead insects covering the area restricting the natural air to hit the fins. Good practice to spray pressurized water from a distance (such that pressure itself doesn't damage the fins) regularly.

What I am trying to suggest here is a step-by-step elimination - I won't even refer to AC Gas pressure 'et al at this stage till the basics are verified.
So we are slightly off from the problem, AC works perfectly fine, cooling the cabin well during day time. My observation is that on hot days, the car feels underpowered. Remember how one feels if AC is switched on an old Alto? The sudden loss of power? A similar behavior but on a reduced extend is shown by my car on hot days; BUT the car doenst show similar behavior if AC is used in night drives;

So there are two suspects in my mind

1. Hot outside air
2. AC load

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
This is the exact issue I'm facing in my car as well (Sx4 Diesel, 75K kms). Post 2500 RPM, there is a slight chocking for a fraction of a second and then its pull fine.

Already I've replaced the the Air-filter, Fuel-Filter, still the problem remains.

Please let us know, if case you are able to resolve the persists.
For how long are you having this problem?? (No of kms) What did your service advisor say?

Last edited by arjithin : 30th May 2017 at 13:35.
Old 30th May 2017, 13:43   #3077
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
So there are two suspects in my mind
1. Hot outside air
2. AC load
And then MAF Sensor as well. Density of Air differ between Day and Night and as well early mornings or during rains.

If the MAF is clogged with dust over it, it might be sending incorrect values to the ECM and the fuel would be either lean or rich accordingly. So try to clean the MAF once and see if issue persists.

Quote:
For how long are you having this problem?? (No of kms) What did your service advisor say?
Never really saw this as a problem. It was felt very rarely only when I was heavy on the A pedal while moving from standstill and like you said, in 2nd and 3rd and that is because its in these gears you would normally try to gain maximum momentum and feel the Turbo than 4th or 5th (or even 1st). So it is only co-incidental that you are feeling this in 2nd and 3rd. It may as well happen in 1st and 4th too but would be difficult to re-produce.

The number of times this has happened is very very rare and this hasn't put me in a situation whatsoever as its a very mild jerk felt for 1/10th of a second as you say.

SA - I rarely ask them about the problem because they always see everything that we report as normal
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 13:55   #3078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The number of times this has happened is very very rare and this hasn't put me in a situation whatsoever as its a very mild jerk felt for 1/10th of a second as you say.

SA - I rarely ask them about the problem because they always see everything that we report as normal
I was asking forum member amitpunjani, not you. I know SAs will be asking you for suggestions, not the otherway !!

In my car the issue is often, but not always. In typical Whitefield to Bellandur drive, i will feel this couple of times minimum and it wasnt there before Jan 2017.

Another observation is that the engine sound is slightly on higher side after 100 kmph now. Not sure if these all are related or because of ageing of my car! Didnt tell this to my service advisor as they have no way to verify; Since I have been listening to that sound for years now, i can understand the difference
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 14:08   #3079
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was asking forum member amitpunjani, not you. I know SAs will be asking you for suggestions, not the otherway !!
LOL, It happened as I quoted your entire post and that way I missed whether you were asking that to me or Amit .

Quote:
In my car the issue is often, but not always. In typical Whitefield to Bellandur drive, i will feel this couple of times minimum and it wasnt there before Jan 2017.
Seems like it is something else and we certainly need to meet and check this. I will PM you. May be I can clean the MAF for you, it would hardly take 30 minutes and while the MAF dries, we can check anything else (that doesnt require the engine to start ).

Quote:
Another observation is that the engine sound is slightly on higher side after 100 kmph now. Not sure if these all are related or because of ageing of my car! Didnt tell this to my service advisor as they have no way to verify; Since I have been listening to that sound for years now, i can understand the difference
If the engine note itself on the higher side? It shouldn't happen this soon. For few weeks, why not shift your fuel station and try another brand from another reliable pump and check too.

As for me, I recently for the 123K Service done and if you had noticed in my ownership report (I am yet to update since service was done on Friday), the issue with car has been sorted, 100% and just to make sure that it was not a placebo effect, we went for a TD for over 100 Kms towards TN and returned in presence of the SA and Works Manager.

When they drove, the first thing they said was that how new the car felt even at 123K and all the controls felt super smooth.

On the other hand, I drove a brand new Ertiga SHVS of my friend few weeks before and felt the engine note similar to mine.

Last edited by paragsachania : 30th May 2017 at 14:09.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 14:38   #3080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If the engine note itself on the higher side? It shouldn't happen this soon. For few weeks, why not shift your fuel station and try another brand from another reliable pump and check too.
I should have been clear on my verbiage, its the turbo sound that is higher not the engine sound.
Old 2nd June 2017, 21:43   #3081
BHPian

Quote:
My Ertiga ZDI with 50,000 km on odo is having few issues, need your suggestions on how to identify the root cause and fix. These are not consistently reproducible and I have a tough time with the service center explaining these to them

1. Loss of power for a very very short duration when Turbo kicks in. Happens occasionally, say once in 10 times of so. Mostly observed in second and third gears.

At the very start of the turbo pull/surge, I feel loss of power for a small time (say 1/10 second) and then turbo pulls cleanly.
Is your problem resolved? Waiting to hear from you as my car is going through issue
Old 2nd June 2017, 22:11   #3082
BANNED

Quote:
Have you tried using fuel additives for two or three full tanks?

Try System-D (Dosage: 1 ml per litre) and see if things improve.

Parag Sir is there anyway for you to diagnose it better but this is just my thought after reading through your posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Is your problem resolved?

Last edited by a4anurag : 2nd June 2017 at 22:12.
Old 3rd June 2017, 09:34   #3083
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Parag Sir is there anyway for you to diagnose it better but this is just my thought after reading through your posts.
Hi Anurag, if you scroll through the last few posts, the diagnosis is scattered across multiple posts with questions that help eliminate the usual suspects.

More importantly, it was to know what exactly the symptoms were rather than finding the root cause. I thought jumping the guns way too early woild be of no help for all that he has mentioned.We are meeting anyway and will be able to figure out more.

Fuel related, Engine related or whether it's related to the Turbo or Clutch : We should know that soon and update here.

Last edited by paragsachania : 3rd June 2017 at 09:35.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 10:55   #3084
BHPian

This is something i saw in the new Ertiga advert. The length of the Ertiga is officially 4265 mm as per records , however in the maruti website in the dimensions section it is given as 4296mm. So it's a little surprising to say the least.
Old 26th June 2017, 16:02   #3085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
In 5th gear, the Ertiga sees 120 kph at a relaxed 2,600 rpm...you'll be hard pressed to tell that there is a diesel engine under the hood when cruising on the expressway.
Where the Innova feels noisy & strained above 100 kph, the Ertiga's 1.3L diesel is lazily spinning over at 2,600 rpm @ 120 kph.
The above is from the official review. I see that my car RPM is on the higher side. Can other Ertiga diesel owners confirm the rpms in the below format for 5th gear?

RPM - Speed (Indiacated at dial) [ Speed (via GPS)]
Also mention your tire size.

Mine is running on 195/60/R15 (less than 1% speedo error). Clutch is new.

~1450 rpm - 60kmph [58 kmph] --> 3-4% speedo error
~1950 rpm - 80kmph [76 kmph]
~2450 rpm - 100kmph [96 kmph]
~2950 rpm - 120kmph [115 kmph]

Quote:
Fuel related, Engine related or whether it's related to the Turbo or Clutch : We should know that soon and update here.
Quick update on the above reported issues. Myself and Parag met and after a long drive Parag feels the car is perfectly fine. We cleaned the MAF filter, after which the choking intensity has come down, but the choking frequency remains as it is. I am leaving the 'issues' as it is now. I noticed similar choking in a few other taxi cars like Ciaz & Honda city in my recent trip.

Last edited by arjithin : 26th June 2017 at 16:07.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 16:23   #3086
BANNED

Quote:
~1450 rpm - 60kmph [58 kmph] --> 3-4% speedo error
~1950 rpm - 80kmph [76 kmph]
~2450 rpm - 100kmph [96 kmph]
~2950 rpm - 120kmph [115 kmph]
For the Swift it is the same RPM and Speed. My Swift too is running on 195/60 R15. 100 kmph come at 2300RPM IIRC.

I'll take Ertiga out now and check.

You are in normal RPM : Speed zone. Don't worry.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 07:21   #3087
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can other Ertiga diesel owners confirm the rpms in the below format for 5th gear?
Perfectly fine! It's the same even when I am running on 196/65 profile tires.

2450 rpm - 100kmph
3000 rpm - 120kmph

I guess I told you the same that everything feels normal with RPMs although I really don't look at the RPMs when driving once I get to gauge the behaviour of a car .

I guess, there could be some typo with respect to what has been mentioned in the Official review and nothing else. But for sure, its ~3000 at 120 KMPH.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 10:33   #3088
BHPian

Hi All,

I was planning to fit a spoiler on my Ertiga and asked around Mumbai at Maruti dealerships and auto parts shops for the same. I was told that they drill holes in the car near the HMSL in order to fit the spoiler. Is this true? Also, would it cause any rusting or water leakage in the future?? Please provide some insights on the installation if possible. It is a bit urgent.

Thanks and Regards,
Yash
Old 30th June 2017, 11:51   #3089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yash98 View Post
Hi All,

I was planning to fit a spoiler on my Ertiga and asked around Mumbai at Maruti dealerships and auto parts shops for the same. I was told that they drill holes in the car near the HMSL in order to fit the spoiler. Is this true? Also, would it cause any rusting or water leakage in the future?? Please provide some insights on the installation if possible. It is a bit urgent.

Thanks and Regards,
Yash
The risk of rusting is always there unless the spoiler comes factory fitted. Case in point, our 2001 Hyundai Accent came with a factory fitted spoiler. There were no rusting issues around the spoiler or the boot door initially.

The car was rear ended up a 118NE and the boot door had to be replaced. They drilled holes on the new boot door to fix the spoiler. Within a short period of time, the area between the boot door and the spoiler started rusting. It was repaired and repainted a couple of times but the rusting issue kept on recurring.

I have been told that the factory fitted spoiler on the new Figo S has been fitted on the hatch door using some sort of heavy duty double sided tape and no drilling was involved. Better check with your sources if something similar can be done on your Ertiga. The headache and risk of rusting by drilling holes on the body to fix a spoiler is simply not worth it.
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 14:18   #3090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
The risk of rusting is always there unless the spoiler comes factory fitted. Case in point, our 2001 Hyundai Accent came with a factory fitted spoiler. There were no rusting issues around the spoiler or the boot door initially.

The car was rear ended up a 118NE and the boot door had to be replaced. They drilled holes on the new boot door to fix the spoiler. Within a short period of time, the area between the boot door and the spoiler started rusting. It was repaired and repainted a couple of times but the rusting issue kept on recurring.

I have been told that the factory fitted spoiler on the new Figo S has been fitted on the hatch door using some sort of heavy duty double sided tape and no drilling was involved. Better check with your sources if something similar can be done on your Ertiga. The headache and risk of rusting by drilling holes on the body to fix a spoiler is simply not worth it.
The Maruti guys told me that there is already a factory fitted spoiler which the Ertiga has which also has the brake light on it. They claim they will drill holes there and so the car body will not be affected, and as a result there will be no rusting. What do you think???

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks