Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2014, 12:08   #736
BHPian

re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Friends,

Need a help. Horn in my 2011 i20 Asta Petrol started creating trouble after my long trips in last couple of months. They are simply not audible particularly in highways. I did check in last service but still not much useful, so thinking about replacing it.
You may try Minda Trumphets (They have a bassy tone with adequate loudness)

Search Minda trumphets on Youtube you will find a video on Ford Figo.

Hope this helps.
sudeep.pandya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 20:19   #737

Finished a 2500+ km trip on my i20 from Delhi to Bangalore. The car just works a charm on the highway. Did touch 145kmph once on the NE-1 expressway. Didn't like its performance much on the hill climb. Probably i'm not used to driving a diesel on hills or not used to the gear ratio for this car on such terrain as this is my first diesel car.

Other than that mostly maintained around 120.
The best mileage I got was 21.5 and the worst as 17.68kmpl.

The last tank is not done yet and seeing the distance already covered in it I'm assuming its going to be more than 21.5kmpl.

44 days, 6200 km

Here's a pic as well.
Attached Thumbnails
1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review-20140512_053922_hdr.jpg  

harawdh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2014, 19:29   #738
BHPian

Anyone facing issue of the car constantly drifting left?

Wheel Alignment and Balancing fixed this issue for me earlier, but has since re-appeared after a recent puncture and tyre change. Have a nagging suspicion if there is more than meets the eye?
Old 14th May 2014, 20:00   #739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harawdh View Post
Didn't like its performance much on the hill climb. Probably i'm not used to driving a diesel on hills or not used to the gear ratio for this car on such terrain as this is my first diesel car.
On hill climb, you always have to keep a diesel car in its power zone (beyond 2000 RPM). This requires frequent gear changes owing to the curvaceous hilly roads.
And i20 CRDi has a pretty bad turbo lag which further adds to the problem. So, your realization about its drive on hilly roads is correct & won't change with time. Maybe you will learn to live with the issue.

I feel that i20 diesel deserves a better ECU remap. 1.4 CRDi is great & powerful engine but the turbo lag simply takes the fun out of it.
Old 14th May 2014, 20:15   #740

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
On hill climb, you always have to keep a diesel car in its power zone (beyond 2000 RPM). This requires frequent gear changes owing to the curvaceous hilly roads.
Yes that's precisely I was doing.
But I'd have to say I enjoyed driving my WagonR more than this on hilly terrain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
And i20 CRDi has a pretty bad turbo lag which further adds to the problem. So, your realization about its drive on hilly roads is correct & won't change with time. Maybe you will learn to live with the issue.

I feel that i20 diesel deserves a better ECU remap. 1.4 CRDi is great & powerful engine but the turbo lag simply takes the fun out of it.
Regarding turbo lag, I observed what people call as lag, below 2000rpm, the turbo starts building up after 1750rpm and its not same as above 2000 but yes can still be felt. However after 2000rpm its an altogether different feel
Old 14th May 2014, 23:33   #741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya101 View Post
Anyone facing issue of the car constantly drifting left?

Wheel Alignment and Balancing fixed this issue for me earlier, but has since re-appeared after a recent puncture and tyre change. Have a nagging suspicion if there is more than meets the eye?
Maybe it's just a coincidence but I seem to have the same issue and I just got the alignment done. Mine's a 2012 Igen Crdi sportz. Will get the alignment checked again tomorrow or go to the service center. There's also supposed to be an update for the 2012 model year cars which concerns uphill performance, will get that done as well.
Old 18th May 2014, 11:57   #742
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Has anyone done a DIY AC filter cleaning? If not, I recommend doing this yourself once in 2-3 months. More frequently if you are in a very dusty city.

I did this today, I was shocked to see the dirt/dust stuck to the filter. Cleaned it with a paint brush and put it back in place. Just a 15 mins job. And the results were mind blowing. AC was less noisier, Cooling was quick and airflow was tremendous after doing this. I doubt if the service center guys do this or they are skipping it.

Attaching a few pics here. and a YouTube link on how to do this.
Attached Thumbnails
1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review-img_39551.jpg  

1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review-img_39571.jpg  

connect2prashan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 15:27   #743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag4 View Post
Maybe it's just a coincidence but I seem to have the same issue and I just got the alignment done. Mine's a 2012 Igen Crdi sportz. Will get the alignment checked again tomorrow or go to the service center. There's also supposed to be an update for the 2012 model year cars which concerns uphill performance, will get that done as well.
The alignment in i20 is quite robust and does not take a toll even after thousands of kms (obviously if aligned properly at the first place)
I have not touched the alignment since purchase and completed 30K kms and there is no issue at all and the condition of tyres stand as a testament as there is still 60-70% tread depth available.

No doubt uphill performance is bad under non-turbo zone. The car refuse to take the throttle inputs under 1700rpm. Getting stuck is a nightmare in this car as it stalls real bad around 1k rpm as there is hardly any torque available at that range. I hope Hyundai will address the issue with an ECU malware update or something.
Old 24th May 2014, 10:24   #744
BANNED

Hi, there were some excellent replies to queries here. So I hope someone can give me a peace of mind too.

I live in Gangtok, Sikkim and the roads here are rough and steep. I am considering buying i20 Asta in petrol as the diesel Asta is out of my budget. You guys are repeatedly saying the petrol variant lacks the power in highways. Will it be a bother driving up-hills? There are a lot of i20s here but unfortunately I do not know anyone who owns an i-gen i20. My cousin has the old i20 Sportz (petrol) and I think it runs absolutely fabulous out here. Is there much difference between these two cars?

Please help. Thank you.
Old 24th May 2014, 14:44   #745
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythethreeh View Post
I live in Gangtok, Sikkim and the roads here are rough and steep. I am considering buying i20 Asta in petrol as the diesel Asta is out of my budget. You guys are repeatedly saying the petrol variant lacks the power in highways. Will it be a bother driving up-hills? There are a lot of i20s here but unfortunately I do not know anyone who owns an i-gen i20. My cousin has the old i20 Sportz (petrol) and I think it runs absolutely fabulous out here. Is there much difference between these two cars?

Please help. Thank you.
We own an i-gen i20 and I would recommend it whole-heartedly! Since your cousin's pre-facelift i20 works fabulously on the steep and rough roads of Sikkim, you don't have to worry at all. If anything, the i-gen i20 is an improvement over the pre-facelift version in almost every aspect.

Let me elaborate. The new version has dual VTVT or variable valve timing on both the intake and exhaust sides. What the addition of this technology has done is that it has made the i-gen i20 more responsive in the mid-range of the engine. Power is up by 4PS on the Kappa 2 dual VTVT engine in the i20, but the torque spread is much better.

The earlier engine (without VTVT) is known to have a weak bottom end and lower mid-range, and then all the power comes in suddenly. On the VTVT engine, the variable valve timing is optimised to work in the mid-range, and the car feels better to drive in terms of in-gear acceleration and part throttle responses.

This VTVT effect is best felt on the i10 before and after it's facelift. The i10 Kappa 2 VTVT feels like a different beast compared to its earlier avatar (without VTVT). On the heavier i20, this effect is not as obvious. But it would still be very noticeable in everyday driving, where the better mid-range torque and part throttle responses take out the stress of having to rev the engine to extract power. This should be a boon on the hilly roads of your idyllic place.

In addition, the suspension on the i-gen i20 has been softened. The low speed ride quality is now cushy and good as most irregularities are absorbed well. Again, a boon on rough roads.

I don't mean to say the facelifted i20 is perfect - it isn't. Despite the bump up in power, the weight of the car does not give it the same superlative highway performance as the 6-speed 90PS i20 CRDi (which has bucket loads of torque). However, the highway performance of the petrol car is good enough for most purposes. The engine is free-revving and very refined even when revved hard.

Also, despite the addition of dual VTVT, the response below 1500 rpm could have been better. I think the VTVT begins to work from about the 1500 rpm mark, and this is obvious while driving. From idle (~ 750 rpm) to ~ 1500 rpm, there is a slight lag. Keep the engine above 1500 rpm and you will be rewarded with a very linear power delivery all the way upto 6000 rpm. The refinement encourages one to rev the engine, as it does not feel coarse or harsh at all.

Then there is the unsettled ride at higher speeds. There is a definite up and down movement of the soft rear suspension over undulating roads, and mid-corner bumps can upset the composure of the car at high speeds.

The steering is very light and effortless which is very useful at slower speeds but remains light at high speeds. Despite the lack of feedback from the steering, the straight line stability is quite good - thanks to the long wheelbase, wide track and low centre-of-gravity.

The brakes leave absolutely no room for complaint, despite the lack of rear disc brakes on the petrol i20 (only the CRDi and 1.4 Auto get rear discs). As with most Hyundais, they are very effective and among the best in the segment.

Then there is the long feature list. The i-gen i20 has many more features than the pre-facelift version. The A/C has been improved without a doubt (though you may not have scorching heat in your place). The headlamp spread is also excellent now (it has separate bulbs for low and high beams). The reverse camera with electrochromic mirror, parking sensors, Bluetooth enabled music system, true keyless entry with push-button start, electrically foldable mirrors etc. are very useful indeed. The LED daytime running lamps, heated ORVMs, front & rear fog lamps will be a big boon in your part of the world.

So yes, if you like the i20, then go for it! The i-gen i20 is an improvement over the pre-facelift version in every major aspect. You will love it, if you already like the pre-facelift version.

One thing you may want to consider is that the next generation of the car has been spotted testing extensively. It will be unveiled at the Paris Motor Show (in October) and will be launched soon after. I guess it will be launched in India at around the same time as its international launch. So you may want to keep this in mind before buying the i-gen i20.

Last edited by RSR : 24th May 2014 at 15:10.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 23:03   #746
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
One thing you may want to consider is that the next generation of the car has been spotted testing extensively. It will be unveiled at the Paris Motor Show (in October) and will be launched soon after. I guess it will be launched in India at around the same time as its international launch. So you may want to keep this in mind before buying the i-gen i20.
Thank you so much, RSR. I did not know about the next gen of the car, and now I cannot decide whether to wait for it or not. In any case, it would be my first car (if I do not consider a rickety hand-me-down wagonR which I owned and hated). The light steering at high speeds wouldn't be a problem as we don't have enough stretches to go more than 40-50 KPH max in and around town, though if I travel interstate I can probably push it upto 60-70 KPH average and 90-100 KPH at just one particular stretch.

Feature wise, I feel that i20 has everything you can get and more if compared to many SUVs for that price and I just love everything about it (on paper at least)

Thank you so much for taking the time to give an extensive reply. It really cleared things up for me.
fluffythethreeh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 21:35   #747
BHPian

Hi All I-Gen I20 users, I have a few questions to help me make my mind up.
I plan to sell my 2009 Ford Fiesta ZXI 1.6 ABS (41K KM on the odo) and go in for a company lease .
I need to travel 60KM home-office-home 5 days a week.
I have not been to out station on long drives but does not mean I cant start now
What I am looking for is a good FE car and an easy one to drive in the Bangalore Bumper to Bumper Traffic.
My options were Grand I10- Asta (O) Petrol or Diesel.
I test drove both and with the limited TD felt both were good.
Now the Igen I20 was there in the showroom and the list of features on the Asta just blew me away.
I just had a short TD of the I20 Petrol and felt it real smooth to drive, need to still TD the Diesel.

So I20 users Petrol/Diesel which one is better for City driving keeping in mind FE.
I would like to target 14 to 15KM/L in city use with B2B traffic.
Since the Lease would be for 3 years and I would need to pay for the maintenance what would be the approximate cost for the Diesel/Petrol per year ?

Looking forward for your valuable inputs.

Note: MODs if this is not the correct thread for these question please do excuse.
Old 18th June 2014, 11:35   #748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajaman99 View Post
What I am looking for is a good FE car and an easy one to drive in the Bangalore Bumper to Bumper Traffic.
My options were Grand I10- Asta (O) Petrol or Diesel.
I test drove both and with the limited TD felt both were good.
Now the Igen I20 was there in the showroom and the list of features on the Asta just blew me away.
I just had a short TD of the I20 Petrol and felt it real smooth to drive, need to still TD the Diesel.

So I20 users Petrol/Diesel which one is better for City driving keeping in mind FE.
I would like to target 14 to 15KM/L in city use with B2B traffic.
Since the Lease would be for 3 years and I would need to pay for the maintenance what would be the approximate cost for the Diesel/Petrol per year ?
If it is mostly the city drive, I would recommend the Grand i10 as the diesel is more tractable and will definitely give you better mileage in city as the torque is adequately available at the bottom end of the RPM resulting in less gear shifts and clutch slip acceleration / pickup. The suspension and chassis is also better in Grand as the ride quality is more settled and feels planted at high speeds and last but not the least, it is using a newer technology in nearly every way.

However, an i20 feels more premium and will give you a big car feel and not to forget the better brand recognition wrt premium image.

As for the feature list, i20 surely have overloaded features but you will not miss them if you don't have. Not all features are must have.

The diesel i20 will give you 14-15 km/l in city and the maintenance cost would roughly be 30-40% more than that of the petrol one. My friend owns a petrol i20 he never managed above 10-11 km/l in city limits.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by sudeep.pandya : 18th June 2014 at 11:40. Reason: Addition of i20 petrol mileage.
sudeep.pandya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 17:41   #749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post

The diesel i20 will give you 14-15 km/l in city and the maintenance cost would roughly be 30-40% more than that of the petrol one. My friend owns a petrol i20 he never managed above 10-11 km/l in city limits.

Hope this helps.
Hi Sudeep, thanks for the feedback. I will be going with the I20 CRDI ASTA. I liked the Grand I10 and if they had an integrated reverse Camera I might not have looked at the I20. However the extra features and premium look of the I20 is what pushed me towards it.
Thanks again for the FE values and maintenance cost, this is what I was anticipating. Good to get a confirmation from a I20 CRDI user.
yajaman99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 19:45   #750
BHPian

I own a 2012 i-Gen i20, Sportz CRDi. I am getting 16 kmpl average in City only drives with 70% AC usage and 2 persons occupying the car including driver. I drive about 8 km a day for office to & fro. Average weekend drives in & around city goes for about 40 km. I have observed 0.5 kmpl increase in FE if I do 100 km roundtrip highway drive once during between tank to tank fuel fill.

i20 may not be best in class in terms of FE, but hey you have got loads of stuff to play with
Pam81 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks