Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2019, 15:40   #3541
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

If the liquid dripping is sticky, different color than normal water, could be coolant leaking via a pinhole sized leak somewhere in the system. But as you say its just for about a minute after coming to a halt and after AC use, its 99% the discharge from the AC and nothing else. Location you describe seems apt for that. To be doubly sure, you could try to collect the 'liquid' in a utensil and check by touch and smell.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2019, 21:28   #3542
BHPian

Ownership and initial drive report

I dont want to get into the pros of this car once again, as many BHPians have already shared their experiences which I completely agree. Its is a great car to drive, just a feather touch on the gas takes it to 3 digit figure in no time, interiors are luxurious and has a understated look to it.

Cons:

These cons aren't deal- breakers nor am I nitpicking, as I love this car and even enjoy the bumper to bumper 3 km traffic to my office.

1. Keys aren't good at all and don't look like keys for a car of this segment. They dont even look like keyless start-stop ones.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img20190711wa0073.jpg

2. Very small cubby holes next to arm rest.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img20190711wa0071.jpg

3. No sunglass holders, as I carry half a dozen shades and spectacles in the car.

4. Manual handbrake look absolutely out of place for this car and mars the fantastic interiors.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img20190711wa0066.jpg

5. Flimsy AC knobs. Though the touchscreen looks like it belongs to a segment or two higher, it is a fingerprint magnet.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img20190711wa0064.jpg

Few false heart aches:

1. It was a complete highway drive and I was checking fuel consumption, it was showing between 4 - 6 (while driving at a constant speed to 80 - 90 kmph) and when I slowed down to around 60 kmph, it started showing 2-3, which almost gave me a cardiac arrest, as I couldn't figure out how can the mileage go down with speed.

When I stopped and tried to read the after refuelling mileage, I realized what a nut-head I was. Because the unit was in litre/ 100 km, not km/l. . Changed the units in settings to km/l, and found it was around 18.2 km/l, it was on a constant speed of around 80-90 kmph without any hard push at the pedals for around 200 kms. Then for the rest of the highway driving I was in triple digits. At the end of the drive with around 30 kms of city driving at the end, the overall mileage ended at around 16.2 km/l, which I found great.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img20190711wa0069.jpg

Though the 3 km bumper to bumper drive to my office brings the mileage to around 6 - 7 km/l

2. I was super excited to listen to the music on much hyped, but found the quality ver flat which disappointed me to no end. Then found ways to set the sound quality, (in Canton equalizer, selecting individual controls, and increasing the Bass). The sound quality, clarity and bass was WOW. Awesome music output and oh boy, I was smitten.

Finally the black beauty pics.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-20190711_212555.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-20190711_212647.jpg

Will share more experiences as I drive more.
K.grg is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 10:01   #3543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.grg View Post

2. Very small cubby holes next to arm rest.

3. No sunglass holders, as I carry half a dozen shades and spectacles in the car.

4. Manual handbrake look absolutely out of place for this car and mars the fantastic interiors.

I agree to points 2 & 3 in cons. While on first glance, there appears to be a lot of cubby holes in the arm rest, dash, in front of the gear lever etc,. They are of small size and dont really accomodate present day mobile sizes, wallets, sunglass covers etc. well.
Superb's electronic parking brake would have been nice.

Last edited by Deep Blue : 12th July 2019 at 10:02.
Deep Blue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 18:37   #3544
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Why did they put round black covers for hiding the screws ? Properly shabby, how much would two flathead covers in the same colour cost ? Not expected from something that costs 20 or so big ones.
Old 12th July 2019, 18:59   #3545
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Why did they put round black covers for hiding the screws ? Properly shabby, how much would two flathead covers in the same colour cost ? Not expected from something that costs 20 or so big ones.
They act as stoppers to support and location the armrest/lid
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 19:01   #3546
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
They act as stoppers to support and location the armrest/lid
my bad. Didnt realize these were pics of the opened armrest. They must be of rubber, then.
Old 13th July 2019, 14:27   #3547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
my bad. Didnt realize these were pics of the opened armrest. They must be of rubber, then.
I didnt add them buddy.
Old 13th July 2019, 17:59   #3548
BHPian

Hi i have a weird request and you guys might think i have a fetish or something but no its a genuine request.

If anyone that has the 1.8 TSI Octavia can share a good quality pic of under the engine for some reference. it would be really helpful. I am trying to figure something out that I need a image for reference. But I couldn't find one on the interwebs.

Last edited by dreamz_mak : 13th July 2019 at 18:14.
Old 14th July 2019, 09:41   #3549
BHPian

I am still puzzled by the dramatic drop in city-driving mileage from highway-driving mileage. In all my previous cars, the difference was like 4-6 kmpl at max.

But in my Octavia, it is around 10-11 kmpl, i.e., 16 kmpl vs 5-6 kmpl!!

Is the situation same with other TSI owners or my driving has gone worse?? I am still unable to understand and any pointers would immensely help me.
Old 14th July 2019, 20:29   #3550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am still puzzled by the dramatic drop in city-driving mileage from highway-driving mileage. In all my previous cars, the difference was like 4-6 kmpl at max.

But in my Octavia, it is around 10-11 kmpl, i.e., 16 kmpl vs 5-6 kmpl!!

Is the situation same with other TSI owners or my driving has gone worse?? I am still unable to understand and any pointers would immensely help me.
My friend owns a TSI and drives a short distance to work and back daily, the engine barely gets the time to warm up. He averages around 7kmpl so that's the ballpark figure, I think he gets around 13 on the highway. Turbo petrol engines aren't great for stop and go traffic.
Old 14th July 2019, 21:36   #3551
BHPian

Well, most days I drive TSI DSG 25km one way on ORR. I get about 9.5-10 kmpl by full tank to full tank method, onboard electronics show 10.7 mileage.
I would be surprised with 5-6 kmpl average, unless one is driving only in bumper to bumper traffic.
Old 14th July 2019, 22:40   #3552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
Well, most days I drive TSI DSG 25km one way on ORR. I get about 9.5-10 kmpl by full tank to full tank method, onboard electronics show 10.7 mileage.
I would be surprised with 5-6 kmpl average, unless one is driving only in bumper to bumper traffic.
The mileage which I mentioned is actually bumper to bumper traffic, taking around 25 - 30 minutes for a 3 km drive.

But in the same traffic, my other cars fare far better in terms of mileage.
Old 15th July 2019, 06:05   #3553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
Between 6 and 7 is the fuel efficiency I get driving from Bannerghatta road to Marathahalli at 9 AM peak traffic. Takes 1.5 hours to cover 15 kms. AC is ON throughout.
Old 15th July 2019, 07:30   #3554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
Takes 1.5 hours to cover 15 kms. AC is ON throughout.
I'm getting 5.4 km/l as per my latest testing in city roads from Office to back, around 8 kms covered in 20-35 mins.

This is considerably lower than my pre-thermostat replacement, which gave me around 7.5-8 km/l.

Have reported the same to the SA, who's asked me to drive it for 60 kms continuously.
The issue is that, driving continuously will definitely improve the mileage, and 60 kms in city traffic which I face (to get closer to realty FE) would take almost a day to cover.

BHPian, any advice in this regard?
Old 15th July 2019, 09:35   #3555
BHPian

Hi guys i was looking out for a at sedan had zeroed in on either the city or verna . However was looking out for a used 1.8tsi octavia as well, have found a used 2015 elegance 1.8tsi with 50k on the odo completely scratchless car. Should i be looking out for something in this car.
1. I am Least bothered about the f.e
2. My only concern is reliability and a.s.s from
Skoda

Also what would be a reasonable price for this car its delhi registered white colour?

Also can i get the extended 6 year warranty on this car or is that only for new cars now ?

Cheers
Mayank
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks