Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2014, 21:33   #1081
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
Who knows, if the car is still running good at that time, I might just decide to keep it for longer. In that scenario, should the resale value matter to me?
That depends. I personally don't believe in 'resale doesn't matter if you keep the car for long' Money is money, and a few years down the line who wouldn't like more of it ?

We're trying to sell our our Octavia mk1 for a few days now. Its a diesel and the base variant which we purchased for ~13 lakhs in 2007. Now,at that time the petrol was available at a lakh or so less IIRC. We decided to buy the diesel since we liked that better. 7.5 years and 85k kms later,when trying to sell it, we're getting quotes ranging from 3-4 lakhs in exchange for a Jetta/Elantra. I may get more if I try to sell it to a individual buyer.

Our usage has changed a lot over these years and our running no longer needs a diesel so we thought of buying a petrol,so I casually enquired with the same dealers what they'd quote for a petrol octavia of the same vintage and variant and I was told about 1.5-2 lakhs tops by VW,hyundai guys told me they wouldn't have bought it from us since it'll take them a long time to resell the car as there isn't demand for a used petrol Skoda

So at the end of say 5+ years if a couple of lakhs doesn't matter to you,get a 1.8 tsi and have fun
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 22:25   #1082
BHPian

Glad to hear that sunny!

What's funny is almost every other suggestion ends in a similar style like -
if u don't care bout wasting your money, go ahead and stick to your decision!

TSI book kiya tho paap kiya C'mon guys, give the guy a break.
Its a beautiful car, very well engineered and a great choice.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 22:46   #1083
Senior - BHPian

Firstly when it comes to driving pleasure, I haven't driven the car on twisties so can't comment on handling, but pure acceleration wise, I found the diesel Octavia pulled better in lower revs due to higher torque. It was more fun & less refined. The petrol was smooth but nothing like pants on fire kind of acceleration.

I remember in US when with Pontiac Grand AM/GT your head would hit the headrest when you accelerated, nothing of that sorts here. Just linear strong acceleration. I was hoping for more, but for me the Petrol TD was an eye opener as I expected more. This reaffirmed in my mind to go for diesel. In addition the test drive rep was honest enough to tell me that don't blow your money on petrol if you "care" about resale unless you are a "shaken". Out of the 80 odd booking he had, there were around 15-18 TSi's which in itself is not a bad number. But I am guessing out of the 15-18, 10 probably were from category 1 with oodles of money & 5-8 were actually those who understood the car for its merit.

My suggestion in order of my own preference:

1. Skoda Octavia DSG Automatic
2. Corolla Petrol Automatic (save money upfront, and more money once you sell)
3. Jetta DSG Automatic

The Jetta doesn't have the same outright acceleration as Octavia and its interiors are dated with refresh due next year. But it does have better resale and does have 1 lakh rupee discount on offer. The joker in the pack, the Corolla. Now before everyone "bashes" me for this, let me tell you, look at the June sales figures, and you will know why I am recommending what I am recommending. The Corolla sold 800+ cars even with its high pricing & Skoda itself is not cheap to begin with.

I am giving you frank advise as if it was my own money. I have had my best friends telling me "just do it" but I know for a "fact" they won't do it, like "evuh"!

So I would strongly suggest if Skoda look no further then Diesel. You would not regret it. And hey, you can thank me later (5 years from now) when you sell your car

Wishing you many many happy motoring miles ahead!

Last edited by aseem : 28th July 2014 at 22:53.
Old 29th July 2014, 12:57   #1084
Senior - BHPian

Finally 3D mats are available for the Octavia with Hot Tracks Bangalore. Costs a cool 8500/- and will rrach dealers in about 7-10 days from now.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 16:08   #1085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Between the diesel & the petrol trust me, I have driven both on NH8 and I found the low torque on petrol was felt. I mean the diesel was lot more eager (perception wise) & petrol a lot more smoother. I kind of like the torque as having more torque is more practical in our driving conditions where you can seldom redline. Plus diesel will give you more mileage.

Firstly when it comes to driving pleasure, I haven't driven the car on twisties so can't comment on handling, but pure acceleration wise, I found the diesel Octavia pulled better in lower revs due to higher torque. It was more fun & less refined. The petrol was smooth but nothing like pants on fire kind of acceleration.
Did you drive the 1.4 TSi or the 1.8 TSi?

All the reviews suggest the 1.8 TSi being a more fun to drive car, with many of the auto experts saying they would prefer the 1.8 TSi over the 2.0 diesel any day. Even the teambhp review says

Quote:
Acceleration is brutal from a standstill, and the motor revs up to its 6,500 rpm redline effortlessly.
Unlike the smaller 1.4L, the Octavia 1.8 is a breeze to drive in the city. Torque delivery is strong and the car pulls well in higher gears too. With the lighter steering & automatic gearbox, the 1.8 TSI is an effortless urban commuter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post

So at the end of say 5+ years if a couple of lakhs doesn't matter to you,get a 1.8 tsi and have fun
Well, if you put it that way, then it's not a concern as I don't mind losing a couple of lakhs or even slightly more over 5+ years for a car that is supposedly the most fun to drive car in the segment.
Old 30th July 2014, 16:16   #1086
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you drive the 1.4 TSi or the 1.8 TSi?

All the reviews suggest the 1.8 TSi being a more fun to drive car, with many of the auto experts saying they would prefer the 1.8 TSi over the 2.0 diesel any day. Even the teambhp review says...
I drove the 1.8 TSi with DSG. The 1.4 doesn't come with DSG. I drove it for good 15 KMs on NH8. I think I am quite sure of what I am writing and don't need any magazine to validate my "personal" feelings.

OT: I truly feel sometimes our journalist have such a vague language when they describe a car, it becomes like reading horoscope from newspaper, as in, totally inconclusive and contradictory. For e.g. they would say the car is underpowered, engine lacks pull but the car has very good power in mid grange. I mean does the last line say anything??? Its like saying the car is good but bad, quite but harsh, loaded but lacks bluetooth. I say gimme a break. I used to really like Kartikeya Singhee but watch his old Fiesta and new Fiesta review. In the older review (2 years ago) he loved the car and its engine. 2 years later same engine is underpowered. I think sometimes they drive so many cars abroad that all Indian cars to them seem underpowered.

BTW, the TBHP review shares my opinion about Diesel pulling stronger then the petrol & please note I never stated 1.8 TSi is underpowered. I just said I was underwhelmed. The car is good but its not a "pocket rocket".

I am quoting from the official TBHP review:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639
In “D” mode, I found the diesel better off the blocks than the petrol. The diesel is immensely practical for urban commuting, with ample torque available at low rpms. To maximise fuel efficiency, the DSG shifts up quickly and reaches top gear at speeds as low as 60 kph. Shift quality is smooth & seamless. Plus, due to the additional torque, downshifts aren't as frequent as in the 1.8L petrol. This 2.0L is a known workhorse and delivers respectable fuel-economy under most driving conditions. The all-rounded nature makes it one of the most popular motors in the VAG group.

Last edited by aseem : 30th July 2014 at 16:25.
Old 30th July 2014, 17:42   #1087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, if you put it that way, then it's not a concern as I don't mind losing a couple of lakhs or even slightly more over 5+ years for a car that is supposedly the most fun to drive car in the segment.
That's good

I wasn't trying to convince you to give up on the petrol like what some interpreted my post to be. I shared my experience since you may be in a similar scenario a few years down the line.

Considering you will own the car for 5+ years(mainly this), petrol is the way to go since resale value is anyway pretty low for a 6-7 year old car.Also, I feel in the new Octavia, petrol is a better buy.
Old 30th July 2014, 18:15   #1088
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
On the conundrum of petrol v/s diesel – when you chose the 1.8 TSI, I assume that you knew the following:
- That you will be spending more on fuel compared to the diesel variant.
- Ours is a pro-diesel market, and your car will suffer heavily on resale a few years down the lane.
- Your upfront on-road cost is around 1.5 lakhs less compared to the same trim of diesel variant.

If you have taken an informed decision considering the points above, and you still felt that the fantastic 1.8 TSI is car you want to drive, stick to that decision.
But if you are still not really particular of fuel, suspension setup etc., get the one which the dealer can commit on a faster delivery. Irrespective of TSI or TDI, this should be a bigger concern for you. You have been waiting for quite a long and maybe its a better idea to get a confirmation (from the dealer) on when they can deliver the car to you, or else it maybe better to check on alternate options like the Jetta TDI Highline AT.
Old 30th July 2014, 18:25   #1089
Senior - BHPian

Just my 2 cents. Please do not "buy" a 20 lakh plus rupees car without a test drive. Make/form your own opinions. Review no matter how good or bad can never be as good as your own feeling. You only understand the reviews better once you have driven the car and then agree/disagree to the conclusions.

I too was inclined towards 1.8 TSi, I thought on paper it was the car to have. 7 speed DSG, TSI engine churning 180 horses (claimed**) and multi-link suspension. Upon driving the car, like stated, I was underwhelmed. On the contrary when I drove the Polo TSi, much less powerful engine, I was "over" whelmed. So its all about perspective. If you are buying mainly caz of TSI hype, power, and driving pleasure. I suggest STOP! take a look, have a test drive of diesel and petrol and then decide.

At a price so close to Audi Q3, BMW X1, how can the dealer not offer you a test drive when you are booking a car. If they can't offer you test drive now, how will they offer you spares later?

** Claimed 180 horses as I am not sure how many horses car is making with Indian fuel.

I can bet most of those going ga ga over 1.8 TSI even in our esteemed forum, haven't test driven the car. They are just going by the online reviews and the specs on PAPER, but specs, seldom tell the story.

Last edited by aseem : 30th July 2014 at 18:28.
aseem is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 20:48   #1090
BHPian

Quote:
Just my 2 cents. Please do not "buy" a 20 lakh plus rupees car without a test drive. Make/form your own opinions. Review no matter how good or bad can never be as good as your own feeling. You only understand the reviews better once you have driven the car and then agree/disagree to the conclusions.
I agree with the TD part but sometimes these manufacturers take us for a ride. In my 7 months wait since booking the fortuner I was never given a year drive. I drove 70kms to delhi just to get an AT test drive. There was no MT test drive vehicle in NCR. The dealer in my town said you are the first one wanting a TD. He sells 10 cars 25L each without a TD. Although I do not regret my decision one bit but it's unethical on part of manufacturers. Even with the A Star AT there was only one vehicle in my town and I was given a TD on the car I had to buy.
Old 31st July 2014, 11:47   #1091
BHPian

Which is the right engine oil for 2L TDI engine? My Octy is little bit low on oil and I want to do a topup. Owners manual says it has to be VW 570 00 spec, but the below thread made it complicated. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...gine-oils.html
Did anyone top up the oil ? If yes which brand/spec is used ? Can I go with castrol edge 5W30 ?

Last edited by B747 : 31st July 2014 at 11:48.
Old 31st July 2014, 11:49   #1092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
Which is the right engine oil for 2L TDI engine? My Octy is little bit low on oil and I want to do a topup. Owners manual says it has to be VW 570 00 spec, but the below thread made it complicated. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...gine-oils.html
Did anyone top up the oil ? If yes which brand/spec is used ? Can I go with castrol edge 5W30 ?
Take it to Tafe or Vinayak and ask them to top up and note it down as well. I would highly recommend don't DIY for the 1st time.
Old 31st July 2014, 11:58   #1093
BHPian

Quote:
Take it to Tafe or Vinayak and ask them to top up and note it down as well. I would highly recommend don't DIY for the 1st time.
Yes that can be done but looking at the other thread they use different spec oil than what is mentioned in the owners manual. They use 5w40 where as the recommended oil is 5w30.
Old 31st July 2014, 12:19   #1094
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
Check out the last page of that thread. Used VW507 on my Yeti, the oil and a pic of it is mentioned there. Use that, and don't use VW505, its not as good. Your dealer may not have it, and you may have to source this oil youself. Though did the oil light come on? If yes then it'll take a litre, if not then how low is the oil?

Quote:
Its an oil top up, perfectly fine to do it yourself. Its just opening a cap and pouring oil in.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 12:41   #1095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Check out the last page of that thread. Used VW507 on my Yeti, the oil and a pic of it is mentioned there. Use that, and don't use VW505, its not as good. Your dealer may not have it, and you may have to source this oil youself. Though did the oil light come on? If yes then it'll take a litre, if not then how low is the oil?

Its an oil top up, perfectly fine to do it yourself. Its just opening a cap and pouring oil in.
Yes I want to use VW 507 only, thanks for the info.
No low oil warning light, when I checked it is in the mid portion of the marker so I thought it is better to top up as this weekend I will be going for a long drive.

Last edited by B747 : 31st July 2014 at 12:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks