Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2017, 23:01   #2581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I believe the international version of the facelift no longer comes with an 1.8 TSI and gets an 1.4 TSI instead. I hope this is not the case in India. I would not be surprised if it is, because even the Audi A4 runs only the 1.4 TSI these days.
I hope that's not the case since the car really mingles well with the Octavia. At least from what I've seen so far. On one hand it would perhaps help Skoda push some buyers towards the Superb unless they are going to remove the 1.8 TSI from that too. The 2.0 TDI is great for some people but the 1.4 won't really help much for Octavia buyers.
Old 25th January 2017, 12:06   #2582
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepsarma View Post
Thank you sir Looking forward to it! Should be good. BTW this is the MY17 but 16 VIN and comes with Navigation. This has flappy paddles too which I thought wasn't available on the Octavia by default. Not sure when they added the feature in.
The VIN will definitely be of 2016 only and I believe with flappy paddles you mean to refer to paddle shift. It was very much there from MY16 models in Style plus along with TPM, cruise control and other feature. I have a Diesel Style plus and let me tell you, this is an amazing vehicle. I still could not understand why Skoda is not doing well in India even when they have improved a lot.
ruchirtnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 13:17   #2583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
Hey Guys,
So finally keeping some good faith in God and Skoda India and a lot of egging by fellow Bhpians in Bombay I took the plunge. I swapped the stock 16inch rims on my 1.4 years new 1.8 TSi Style Plus with 17inch TSW Geneva Rotary Forged rims in Matte Gunmetal paired them with 225/50 section Yokohama AdvanSports annndddd we have a monster

The stance has completely changed and the wider stance with the darker shade of the rims on the black colour of the car is making it look totally Ganstaa which is the look that i wanted for it.

Regards,
VVB
Have to say that you car looks stunning in the new avatar. Wanted to know how the upgrade has affected handling. I had a Vento earlier which came with stock 185 55 15 which I later upgraded to 205 50 15 before finally making the switch to 17 inch rims and a 215 45 17 set of tyres.

Although the look of my car was elevated, I did have issues when going over humps or potholes where the front tyres would rub against the wheel arch or some part and create a noise. Didnt have the car for too long after that due to an accident but it made me feel like I shouldn't have upgraded or perhaps gone for a 16" instead of a 17". Not to mention the worry of bending the rims too with such a low profile.

Is there any such issue of the tyres scraping the wheel arches or the sidewall on your Octavia since the upgrade? Or any other issues that you have noticed? What are the benefits that you find too other than aesthetics.

My guess would be that since the Octavia comes with 16" as a standard, the 17" rims won't have as much of an issue as it did on the Vento for me but it's tough to judge without driving. Thanks for your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
The VIN will definitely be of 2016 only and I believe with flappy paddles you mean to refer to paddle shift. It was very much there from MY16 models in Style plus along with TPM, cruise control and other feature. I have a Diesel Style plus and let me tell you, this is an amazing vehicle. I still could not understand why Skoda is not doing well in India even when they have improved a lot.
Yes! Don't know what I was thinking calling it flappy paddles lol. My bad. Paddle shift is what I meant. That's good, I was pleasantly surprised to see it on the car as I didn't expect it.

I feel that same way too and although I'm only about to receive mine, it does seem like quite a capable vehicle and one that is under-rated. How many kilometres have you done in it so far?

NOTE FROM T-BHP SUPPORT: Please avoid quoting the entire post as it may inconvenience small screen / mobile phone users. Thank you for your anticipated co-operation.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 31st January 2017 at 12:11. Reason: Trimming quoted post for improved readability. :)
Old 30th January 2017, 13:36   #2584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I feel that same way too and although I'm only about to receive mine, it does seem like quite a capable vehicle and one that is under-rated. How many kilometres have you done in it so far?
While Iam writing this post, My Octavia is undergoing her second service with 5k km at Odometer.
The estimated service cost is around 9k and one of the important change is free upgrade of current SEBANG battery to Exide one. It is a soft recall due to performance issue. I have bought biege pillows which are supposed to be part of new kit sold seperarley for Octavia and Rapid.

Photo of old battery attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_4546.jpg  

ruchirtnt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 02:15   #2585
BHPian

Just took delivery of my Octavia Style Plus 1.8 TSI DSG in Magic Black today from TAFE Access on St Mark's Road. The registration is still pending so I took receipt of the car with a temporary number. On the way back from home, was stuck in Bangalore traffic mostly. However, even then the drive was much more relaxing than my manual Vento TDI had been in the past. I miss the shifting at times but certainly not in traffic. Making sure to switch from Drive to Neutral whenever there's an extended stop at a signal or intersection to prevent any DQ200 issues from popping up.

The car had run 21 kms but I got practically no fuel. The range showed 0.0 KM when I got the car. Not sure if it's Skoda custom or not but it would've been great to get some fuel or at least a voucher for it. I got 1500 worth of free fuel voucher from a nearby bunk with my Vento. I normally fill Shell but I took no risk this time and went to the Indian Oil pump right opposite the showroom. Makes me think whether they've an agreement in place lol.

Did the pooja at the Ayyappan temple in Vijaya Bank Layout which is close to where I live and also where I got the pooja done for my Vento.

Took the car on NICE road at night for a bit and the car is an absolute beast. I didn't give it the full beans but can feel what's lurking understand. The car is huge compared to the Vento and I love the road presence and stability that it brings to the table. Looking forward to updating you guys with more.

Here are some photos Sorry for the poor quality. Will upload better stuff soon.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-skoda-new-1.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-skoda-new-4.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-skoda-new-3.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-skoda-new-5.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-skoda-new-6.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-skoda-new-2.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
While Iam writing this post, My Octavia is undergoing her second service with 5k km at Odometer.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#222222][FONT=arial, sans-serif]The estimated service cost is around 9k and one of the important change is free upgrade of current SEBANG battery to Exide one. It is a soft recall due to performance issue. I have bought biege pillows which are supposed to be part of new kit sold seperarley for Octavia and Rapid.

Photo of old battery attached.
I saw your post a few hours before I took delivery of my car and I just checked to see what battery I had gotten and it was Exide. Guess it's already been changed in the newer units. Thanks for the tip.
sandeepsarma is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 12:06   #2586
BHPian

So a small issue seem to have cropped up on my Octavia. The idle rpm seems to shoot up to 1000 and stays there for 15-20 minutes. after 15-20 minutes it comes back to 750-800.

What could be the cause? any idea?
Old 31st January 2017, 12:11   #2587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
So a small issue seem to have cropped up on my Octavia. The idle rpm seems to shoot up to 1000 and stays there for 15-20 minutes. after 15-20 minutes it comes back to 750-800.

What could be the cause? any idea?
Diesel? It could be due to DPF regeneration. It's normal and it'll settle down again.
Old 31st January 2017, 12:15   #2588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
Diesel? It could be due to DPF regeneration. It's normal and it'll settle down again.
Yes Bharat- diesel. From what i remember reading, the Octavia in India doesn't come equipped with a DPF. I hope i am wrong and if it is indeed the DPF, then there is nothing to worry about.

If it helps- the odo is currently at 5300kms.
Old 31st January 2017, 12:17   #2589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Yes Bharat- diesel. From what i remember reading, the Octavia in India doesn't come equipped with a DPF. I hope i am wrong and if it is indeed the DPF, then there is nothing to worry about.

If it helps- the odo is currently at 5300kms.
Nobody is really sure if the India spec Jetta and Octy have DPF.
But the symptoms are exactly what would happen during DPF regeneration.
Also, 5000-8000 is when it happens for the first time.

Just check if you get white smoke as well.
Old 31st January 2017, 12:50   #2590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Making sure to switch from Drive to Neutral whenever there's an extended stop at a signal or intersection to prevent any DQ200 issues from popping up.
This is not required with the DSG atleast, as the TCU engages the clutch when the brake pedals are depressed, gear in 'D' and speed is 0.

It automatically disengages when you let go of the brake pedal, again.

The car does not try to creep when stationary with brakes pressed and in 'D', as in few TC Autos.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 13:04   #2591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
This is not required with the DSG atleast, as the TCU engages the clutch when the brake pedals are depressed, gear in 'D' and speed is 0.

The car does not try to creep when stationary with brakes pressed and in 'D', as in few TC Autos.
Is it? As far as I remember reading on this thread, many had recommended doing so since the TSI comes with the DQ200 which is a dry clutch however said it's not necessary with the DQ250 on the TDI DSG. Will look further into it. Thank you!
Old 31st January 2017, 15:10   #2592
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post

What is the source of this information? And what is the way for the owner/driver to confirm if this is really happening? I drive the Polo TSI and always shift to N if the wait is going to be more than a couple of seconds.
Old 31st January 2017, 15:51   #2593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just took delivery of my Octavia Style Plus 1.8 TSI DSG in Magic Black
Congratulations. Octavia looks amazing in black color. Happy miles to you
Old 31st January 2017, 15:54   #2594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
What is the source of this information? And what is the way for the owner/driver to confirm if this is really happening? I drive the Polo TSI and always shift to N if the wait is going to be more than a couple of seconds.
Source? My own observation between driving a conventional Torque Converter AT and a DQ200 equipped DSG, in addition to my research online.

Here's a sample.

The next time you drive a TC AT, try keeping the foot on brakes, the transmission keeps fighting the brakes, this does not happen in a DSG equipped vehicle, atleast from VAG.
DRIV3R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 17:11   #2595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
It's just like a manual. When you come to a full stop, the clutch has to be engaged or the engine will stall. Similarly the clutch is disengaged when you release the break in D mode.
If you observe in D mode when you are holding on to the brake in a signal, the RPM drops from around 1100 to 800. Then when you release the brake the RPM jumps to about 1100 and starts crawling forward.
I have both the Octavia diesel and Polo Tsi at home and both are very different especially when you set off after a complete stop. The DQ250 allows the clutch to slip when it's being disengaged, so the car can creep forward just like in a manual car.
The DQ200 being a dry clutch does not allow much slippage. So the clutch engagement is more ON/OFF and that's the reason in our stop and go traffic the DQ200 overheats more.

Last edited by vibhu_f430 : 31st January 2017 at 17:14.
vibhu_f430 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed