Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2020, 14:26   #4141
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

What would be the cons of continuing with the Goodyear Eagle NCT5 tyres on the Octy Tsi? Is it highly recommended to change them for the Michelin 4 ST or can one continue with the stock tyres?

Last edited by Timothy : 2nd January 2020 at 14:27.
Old 2nd January 2020, 14:41   #4142
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
What would be the cons of continuing with the Goodyear Eagle NCT5 tyres on the Octy Tsi? Is it highly recommended to change them for the Michelin 4 ST or can one continue with the stock tyres?
Horrible, noisy, wears fast. My Jetta wore NCT for 30000km. The MC5's lasted for 35000km. The Michelins are far superior. No idea about wear rates as yet.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 16:24   #4143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Folks,
I should be getting delivery of my L&K Tsi in a day or so. Are there any specific things I should look for while taking the delivery besides the visual inspection. The reason I ask this is coz the car has probably been lying in the factory & the dealers yard for a good 4+ months.
4 months of lying in a dealer stockyard especially through the monsoon months, is indeed quite a long time, in my view. I would be very very careful in doing as thorough an inspection as possible. Unfortunately, there is not much that one can do beyond the visual inspection, since dealers would generally not be amenable to actually driving an unregistered car around. Even if they do, it will not be for a long enough duration to figure out mechanical issues if any.

Do the PDI inspection per the TBHP checklist very thoroughly, twice over for your mental peace, and things should be OK. All the best and congrats on the Octy.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 16:38   #4144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Horrible, noisy, wears fast. My Jetta wore NCT for 30000km. The MC5's lasted for 35000km. The Michelins are far superior. No idea about wear rates as yet.
66,000 done on my Octavia with the P3ST in about 3 years and 3 months. They look good for another 10-12,000 km. But i will change them in 5,000 km to P4ST. And surprisingly, only one puncture so far. I expect the P4ST to last 50-60,000 km without issues. Just changed the Primacy on my C200 to P4ST in size 225/45/17.

Quote:
Would highly recommend it. I was stupid to keep them on the Laura till 35,000 km. When i got the Octavia, the tires were swapped instantly and boy o boy am i glad i did that! Go ahead and change them and you would be happy

Last edited by RohanDheman : 2nd January 2020 at 16:40.
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 17:07   #4145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Totally worth it. Please try to change to the P4STs immediately. The Perfinzas are also well rated and substantially cheaper if you're up against a budget hardstop

Last edited by itwasntme : 2nd January 2020 at 17:32.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 17:48   #4146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
4 months of lying in a dealer stockyard especially through the monsoon months, is indeed quite a long time, in my view. I would be very very careful in doing as thorough an inspection as possible. Unfortunately, there is not much that one can do beyond the visual inspection, since dealers would generally not be amenable to actually driving an unregistered car around. Even if they do, it will not be for a long enough duration to figure out mechanical issues if any.

Do the PDI inspection per the TBHP checklist very thoroughly, twice over for your mental peace, and things should be OK. All the best and congrats on the Octy.
Thanks Arindam ! Perhaps lots of piled up inventory is the reason for the far bigger discounts on the L&K for Dec. as compared to Onyx. However, I presume the assembly date at the Aurangabad plant for the car is 13th Sept. as this is the date mentioned on the protective body sticker tape & Aug. may be the SKD kit packing/shipping date from Czech Republic.... but still 3.5 months is a bit of a time though. Will go through the TBHP checklist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Totally worth it. Please try to change to the P4STs immediately. The Perfinzas are also well rated and substantially cheaper if you're up against a budget hardstop
Many Thanks ! But I am not a big fan of MRF. We also have a Renault Duster with the Turbo engine which came with MRF stock tyres and they were horrible to the core!! When I changed them, what a difference it made to the ride, handling, braking etc. The vehicle felt completely different !! This was my first and probably the last experience with MRF

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 2nd January 2020 at 18:27. Reason: Merged back to back posts.
Old 2nd January 2020, 21:41   #4147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GauravTaneja View Post
Haha! Completely missed that you're in Delhi.

Even though I have booked mine, I have this gut feel that the discounts will go up next month, which is why they want us to sign that letter saying I won't change my mind (in a nut shell). But then I'm generally suspicious and cynical

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Please quote only the relevant bits a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Hey bro ! I was asking for a proforma invoice for the 1.8 L&K from 2 dealers and both of them told me that they'll send me one but kept giving various reasons throughout the day and didn't send me one yet. Rather they were saying please make a booking and that the color is readily available. They also told me that the same 1.25L discount which was there in December continues for this month too. I'm starting to already feel let down by these guys at Skoda even before I've got their car ! How is your booking process going on ?
Old 3rd January 2020, 00:00   #4148
BHPian

Quote:
I was recently in the very same dilemma for my Octavia 1.8 and decided to go ahead with the Michelin P4ST. Though when brand new, the Goodyear NCT5 are decent (and should be so for initial 10-15K kms) but my past experience with these tyres (on my previous T-Jet) is that they are quite noisy once old and do not have a life of more than 30-35K kms.

Though I was tight on budget after having already stretched up to the L&K, but my experience with P3STs and feedback from other deemed bhpians - I decided to make the change. I can immediately feel the improvement in comfort and noise levels with the P4STs which is the very thing these tyres are targeted towards. So if budget is not a concern, then I would definitely recommend to change if comfort & low noise is your priority. Else, the Goodyear shall keep you fine for 15k kms for sure, post which you may start to have the urge to change.
vickyP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 00:34   #4149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ManShow View Post
Hey bro ! I was asking for a proforma invoice for the 1.8 L&K from 2 dealers and both of them told me that they'll send me one but kept giving various reasons throughout the day and didn't send me one yet. Rather they were saying please make a booking and that the color is readily available. They also told me that the same 1.25L discount which was there in December continues for this month too. I'm starting to already feel let down by these guys at Skoda even before I've got their car ! How is your booking process going on ?
Actually my experience has been stellar so far, though to be honest, I was not really very demanding. We agreed on a final price and I paid the booking amount and the balance money subsequently. Hoping to get delivery soon.
Old 3rd January 2020, 10:47   #4150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GauravTaneja View Post
Actually my experience has been stellar so far, though to be honest, I was not really very demanding. We agreed on a final price and I paid the booking amount and the balance money subsequently. Hoping to get delivery soon.
I wish it was as straight forward as that bro. One of the two dealers I'm in touch with is refusing to give a quote citing prices may go down this month and it's better to wait till tomorrow so that this month' schemes will come out and he can give me a proforma invoice after that. But the Chennai dealer is telling me repeatedly that the scheme that was available last month will continue even now and he's sending me an invoice today. Wish my purchase process was as straightforward as yours
Old 3rd January 2020, 11:47   #4151

I took delivery of my 1.4TSI on Dec 30th. A smooth affair it was - not a penny paid before the PDI in the showroom on Sunday 29th. Paid only after I was convinced on all counts. Took delivery after the cheque was cleared by the bank. The SA took time on Sunday to show me all features; left him with a gift after delivery and he called me back to check if I reached home safe. A good delivery experience overall, the earlier hiccups notwithstanding.

Enjoying my office drives - mostly sedate driving this far. Have crossed 80 only twice while overtaking and am drawing 15-16 kmpl from the beast. Getting a huge kick when people slow down in traffic to admire the car or when I spot unknown colleagues checking out/complimenting the interiors in the office parking lot.

A couple of mistakes that others could avoid:
1. By some crazy logic, I opted for part payment with a car loan. If one can afford full payment, please avoid loans for a car. The hassle and the additional expense are not worth it at all.
2. I filled the car with Power petrol thinking it was high octane. Missed the fact that it had additives. Hope a few more refills of normal petrol will contribute to undoing this.
pnvsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 12:51   #4152
BHPian

Got the extended warranty for my Octavia TDI in its 4th year now. Paid an amount of 81431 inclusive of 18% GST.

Was a pretty straight forward affair. Walked in, showed the RC, gave the cheque and was out in 10 minutes. No questions asked. Its expensive yes but i think its worth the price since i am now covered till October 2022.

Cheers
Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 15:06   #4153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Got the extended warranty for my Octavia TDI in its 4th year now. Paid an amount of 81431 inclusive of 18% GST.

Was a pretty straight forward affair. Walked in, showed the RC, gave the cheque and was out in 10 minutes. No questions asked. Its expensive yes but i think its worth the price since i am now covered till October 2022.

Cheers
Rohan
Rohan, is your insurance with Skoda or a 3rd party provider?
Old 3rd January 2020, 15:18   #4154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
Rohan, is your insurance with Skoda or a 3rd party provider?
I have had insurance from third party providers like Reliance, Bajaj and now ICICI but its only this year that i have taken it through the local Skoda dealer here.

But at the time of purchase of the extended warranty they did not see the insurance papers but only the RC copy.
Old 3rd January 2020, 16:26   #4155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ManShow View Post
One of the two dealers I'm in touch with is refusing to give a quote citing prices may go down this month and it's better to wait till tomorrow so that this month' schemes will come out and he can give me a proforma invoice after that. But the Chennai dealer is telling me repeatedly that the scheme that was available last month will continue even now and he's sending me an invoice today.
Looking forward to an update from you on this.

To put into it in context, I was negotiating with Dealer throughout December for 1.8 TSI, but the whole thing fell through due to color choices not being available (Black, Grey). Was disappointed and already moved to viewing Youtube videos of Next Gen Octavia

Things changed yesterday when I got a message from my SA mentioning there are limited stocks for my color still available based on New year update from their Pune office. So now I am planning to go to showroom this weekend to finalize a deal and hopefully book my car. Hence, would be keen to know what kind of new year offer you are getting considering the year has changed now (and March deadline approaching).
Kray is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed