Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2015, 14:01   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Incidentally I had renewed the insurance in Feb-2105. One discrepancy I noticed though on the insurance is that it still carries the old chassis number. When the insurance might have been renewed after the accident repairs and chassis replacement, it should have carried the new chassis number, isn't it? What could be the reason of new chassis number not appearing on the renewed insurance, any idea ?
It is most possible, the previous owner did not endorse the new chassis number on the policy when the chassis was replaced. It is a data change just like ownership change endorsement. The records must have stayed that way and insurance got renewed basis old insurance.

So now, with the new revelations, it is time to endorse the chassis change also since RC states the new chassis. However, let us see what Toyota does now.
parsh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 14:11   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
It is most possible, the previous owner did not endorse the new chassis number on the policy when the chassis was replaced. It is a data change just like ownership change endorsement. The records must have stayed that way and insurance got renewed basis old insurance.

So now, with the new revelations, it is time to endorse the chassis change also since RC states the new chassis. However, let us see what Toyota does now.
Thanks Parsh for your quick response. Not sure how many more revelations are to come by, seems like a suspense story unfolding. Hope the dealership gives their fullest co-operation and does not let me down in placing my complete trust in the Toyota brand and their dealership, fingers tightly crossed.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 16:33   #318
Senior - BHPian

As Parsh said the previous owner either forgot to get the endorsement for changed chassis, or his agent just renewed the policy based on old record and the renewal notice. Get it done ASAP, as a policy with wrong details can be dishonored.

Even when the policy was transferred to your name the officer involved should have noticed the discrepancy.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 16:39   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
As Parsh said the previous owner either forgot to get the endorsement for changed chassis, or his agent just renewed the policy based on old record and the renewal notice. Get it done ASAP, as a policy with wrong details can be dishonored.

Even when the policy was transferred to your name the officer involved should have noticed the discrepancy.

Rahul
Thank you for your inputs Rahul. Even if I assume that the new chassis was fitted in 2010, so from 2010 till 2015, five years it seems the same old policy was renewed, without bothering to change the old chassis number. I understand having the wrong details in the policy is a very big risk. Unfortunately the policy in not yet transferred in my name. Was planning to get that done last week, however this new thing cropped up, which is consuming my resources. Getting the policy owner name changed is on my agenda once the dust on the service history settles.
Old 24th August 2015, 17:42   #320
Senior - BHPian

Further update. Got a call from DSK Admin dept asking me to send a picture of the VIN plate (situated near the battery) on whatsapp. I went to the office parking, took a picture of the VIN plate and immediately posted. They also needed some clarification on my current residential address on my RC book, which I provided. It seems the system which they were using for their service records got changed from Oct 2010. Since my service history was prior to that, they need to send the details in an e-mail to the corporate office to retrieve the history, which they can share over an e-mail.

Good thing is they are responding and things are progressing. It might take a few days and I will need to have some patience till then.
AutoIndian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 18:08   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
send a picture of the VIN plate (situated near the battery) on whatsapp. I went to the office parking, took a picture of the VIN plate and immediately posted....
Good thing is they are responding and things are progressing. It might take a few days and I will need to have some patience till then.
Good thing indeed, process is working. BUT, the VIN plate and number would be from manufacturing date and I suppose it would not show New Chassis number. Wonder what they are going to do with it.

Last edited by parsh : 24th August 2015 at 18:19.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 18:59   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Good thing indeed, process is working. BUT, the VIN plate and number would be from manufacturing date and I suppose it would not show New Chassis number. Wonder what they are going to do with it.
Hi Parsh for reasons of confidentiality I am not sharing it here. However to just let you know, the chassis number on the VIN plate is a new one, whereas the engine number of the old one.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 19:43   #323
Senior - BHPian

Latest update is that the mail has been sent to the concerned dept in TKM. Dealership is expecting to receive a response from them by tomorrow. I have told the person from dealership handling my case to called up the TKM office and inform them over the phone, rather than just relying on e-mail.
Old 25th August 2015, 00:10   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Parsh for reasons of confidentiality I am not sharing it here. However to just let you know, the chassis number on the VIN plate is a new one, whereas the engine number of the old one.
Deepak,
That's a good thing done by the dealership. But getting the chassis details updated at the insurance company need to be done on priority.
Regarding the accident, upon the inspection I think your car may have been repaired in the same year of purchase based on the year details mentioned on the windows and windshield. Also to add to it, the total cost of 5.69L is too much for repairs. Even if you consider the electric components, plastic parts, the owner would have spent less compared if the accident would have been say after a year or two.
SHAHBAAZ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 01:17   #325
BHPian

Hey AutoIndian, It's sad to know that your car has gone such a terrific repairs due to an accident and you didn't know about it. However, the bright side is that all the repairs were done in the ASC and they have all the details regarding it. And also, since the repairs were carried out in the ASC, they must have been done with uttermost precision and quality control

Try to take the details of the accident from the previous owner so that you know how much damage was done to the car. I feel that the car might have been hit while stationary by a vehicle at high speed and maybe that's why the airbags must not have been deployed. Otherwise, it would have been mentioned in the history at the outlet. Were you able to contact him?

Off Topic:
Recently, I came across a pre-owned 2012 Scorpio VLx Automatic done 25k kms and service record at a Mahindra First Choice Dealership. The car looked so good on the internet and we went to the outlet with our mind to finalise the car. However, on close inspection the car looked like it was driven much more than what was stated.
Then we got the service records checked and came to know that the car was serviced last in 2013 with 19K on the odo The owner of that Mahindra First Choice outlet was still insisting that this is a 'genuine' service record and I am wrong that the car has been run much more.
Most probably what I feel now was that the car must have had an accident and the repairs would have been done outside the ASC, run by the owner close to 50-60k kms or even more, meter been reversed and sold to Mahindra First Choice.

In India, we need to be really careful while buying pre-owned cars, whoever the seller may be!
parth.jain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 13:23   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have already dropped a mail to the previous owner, hoping to hear from him soon.
I tried to reach out the previous owner's father on his mobile and then on landline, but could not get through. Also I did not receive any response to the e-mail which I had dropped to my previous owner on Friday (He is in US currently). Hence today morning I have a call to him. Fortunately he responded. I told him the whole story. This was a shock even to him. He was not aware that the car had undergone such major repairs. He said that his parents were there with him in US currently, hence no response to my calls. He would discuss with his father call me back in half an hours time.

When after 1 hour and 30 mins I did not get any response I called him again. He said that he has discussed with his father and would call me in another 10 mins. Meanwhile when I checked my mail, he had responded to it. He mentioned that neither he was aware of the replacement of the Chassis, he was only told that there was an accident while his maternal uncle had taken it for function and he had got it all fixed (at that time he was in Australia)

He said that he would like to help me, however there is no one at home in Pune and it is highly unlikely that his sister would find the key or code at home. Regardless would give it a try & let me know in couple of days time.

After about 10 minutes I did receive a call from him. Indeed his car had met with an accident when his maternal uncle had taken it to Nanded to attend some marriage function. However he was not aware of this major accident and subsequent repairs that were carried out by his maternal uncle (who had informed him that it was just the door, bumper and some other minor parts replacement). I requested him to talk to his maternal uncle and get further details from him as to how this accident happened, what were the damages, was there any FIR recorded for this accident (it is a must to claim the insurance).

I clearly told him that when I had first visited their home after referring the OLX ad, the first question I asked his father was if the car had met with any minor/ major accident (that time too he was in US), to which his father had replied in negation. Had he that time itself given me an inkling on this incident I would have dug deep and got all service records, which would have revealed the whole story. However his father chose not to disclose anything and I went ahead and sealed the deal. His father was like a father to me as well and I was like a son to him. Would ever a father lie to his son, hence I didn't have any reason not to believe him.

We talked for about 12-13 minutes and he made me an offer of taking back the car back from me. Only issue is that after I purchased it from him I spent 60K in sprucing up the car (new seat covers, new music system, 4 new tyres, side steps, denting and painting the car etc). In the last 10 months car has run 16K kms and I have spent 34K in its servicing (door hinges replacement, front and rear wheel bearings replacement etc). I don't know how to arrive at a fair valuation now, but if he is ready to take the car back I am open for this proposal. I am trying to get the service record history from the DSK workshop. Since this was recorded in their old system it may take some time to retrieve the complete history. However on receiving that, I will share with him the complete details so that he is aware about what parts were replaced. He is coming back to India (Pune) in the month on December for Christmas vacations. I am trying to get a fair evaluation of the car done by that time. If he agrees for that offer then I may prefer handing the car back to him.

I requested him to try to help me in whatever way he can. Nothing can be done on what has happened till now and hoped for only positive things in the coming future.

I thanked him once again for having this open discussion with me and keeping the various options open.

Friends please suggest what should be a fair price that I should ask for considering the above facts.
AutoIndian is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 13:49   #327
BANNED

Quote:
Friends please suggest what should be a fair price that I should ask for considering the above facts.
Looks like a nice chap with honesty and no intent of cheating as per his conversation.

You negotiated at 7.35L IIRC. So fair price could be 5.5 to 6L. Reclaim 75% of what you spent on the car.

Last edited by a4anurag : 25th August 2015 at 13:52.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 14:01   #328
Senior - BHPian

Glad to note that the owner was kind enough to consider taking back the car. I would go with what Anurag has mentioned. The 60k that you had spent,assume it that you had taken the car for rent. The car mite be trouble free but everytime when you drive,you will have that feeling running in the back of your mind.
I would suggest to seal the deal if possible.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 14:06   #329
BHPian

Quote:
We talked for about 12-13 minutes and he made me an offer of taking back the car back from me. Only issue is that after I purchased it from him I spent 60K in sprucing up the car (new seat covers, new music system, 4 new tyres, side steps, denting and painting the car etc). In the last 10 months car has run 16K kms and I have spent 34K in its servicing (door hinges replacement, front and rear wheel bearings replacement etc).

Seems to be a nice chap!!
BUT I don't see any reason for you to sell the car back to the previous owner and take a loss. what you could do is ask him to repay the amount you paid for the car(7.35) waving of the 34K spent on servicing and try removing as many accessories, that you had installed, as possible. If I remember correctly, also get that extra 5K you shelled out for those two new tires while taking the car.

Then go to a U-Trust and buy a certified Innova. IMHO even a Innova with 80-100K on the ODO is a good choice if you are buying from U-trust.
Shanksta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 14:24   #330
Senior - BHPian

This is indeed good gesture from the owner. Let us hope he sticks to his offer and considers appropriately.

What I would suggest
Your purchase cost
- fair amount of depreciation, anything agreeable between 5-10%
+ 5k for tyres
+ Cost of Accessories. I presume you won't want to take hassles of removing accessories etc, plus they are pretty new as such
+ Cost of Parts Repairs (parts cost + labor charge), Denting/Painting that you had to bear so far
+ Cost of all the other paperwork hassles, if any and pro-rata insurance

You have run happy 16k on the car. Take the servicing costs as the expenses towards that on your own as long as you run it.

Last edited by parsh : 25th August 2015 at 14:29.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks