Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2020, 20:19   #106
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
By theory, hot air rises up so that bottom opening does not play a role in exhausting the heat in the engine bay. When the car is stationary, engine heat rises upwards and escapes through the vents in the windshield cowl area. When the car moves or radiator fan switches on fresh air is drawn through the grill and warm air is forced out through the rear of the engine bay. It would rather reduce air turbulence and maybe some noise due to this. But the cover wouldn't affect heat management.
when the car moves, even without forced induction (radiator fan switching on), the bottom of the engine bay will 'suck away' hot air, because air is flowing fast underneath the car and the lower pressure of flowing air (even if its swirling in turbulence, hitting against all the obstacles in the underbody) will encourage the engine bay air to move downwards.
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 20:37   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
air is flowing fast underneath the car and the lower pressure of flowing air (even if its swirling in turbulence, hitting against all the obstacles in the underbody) will encourage the engine bay air to move downwards.
What about the same air which flows into the grille? I feel the pressure will be same and there is no pressure difference created. Correct me if I am wrong. When the car is moving the engine bay will have higher pressure naturally and that will force air out from the rear end of the engine bay which is still pretty open. The front portion is covered in most vehicles until the axle. Hence what Leoshashi or Maruti has done here is nothing new nor would have a negative impact.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 20:56   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpsdhiraj View Post
I bought my Ertiga just before the lockdown in March and is the 1.5 Diesel variant. I am really interested in getting the engine guard installed on my Ertiga as well.

My only concern would be if the hardware would fit without too much of jugaad as I am not entirely sure if the subframe of the petrol Ertiga/XL6 matches to that of the 1.5 Diesel Ertiga.

Regards
Tps
Subframe etc are all same, installation won't be an issue. However I am not sure about oil drain holes, exhaust pipe etc lining up, like it did in my case.

Quote:
Took a long time to read through the thread and it's already starting to become an encyclopedia for Ertiga/XL6 owners. Wonderful compilation of information. Have a great time with the car and hope you get to utilize for the fullest purpose.
Thanks Bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
I have a question: Now that the hot air trapped in the engine bay has one huge exit door less than the original design, would it any way affect how the engine warm up or heats up?
Quote:
can you please elaborate what is the original purpose of these floor covers for which MSIL made them ?
No idea, NVH may be.

Quote:
are you referring to the the gap behind the rear end of the plastic and the front subframe/bottom of the firewall, for the hot engine bay air to escape ?
Quote:
By theory, hot air rises up so that bottom opening does not play a role in exhausting the heat in the engine bay. When the car is stationary, engine heat rises upwards and escapes through the vents in the windshield cowl area. When the car moves or radiator fan switches on fresh air is drawn through the grill and warm air is forced out through the rear of the engine bay. It would rather reduce air turbulence and maybe some noise due to this. But the cover wouldn't affect heat management.
I believe DBHPian Audioholic has explained it beautifully. There is enough place for air to escape from above the suspension subframe. Have a look at the gap in Dzire, it's similar in XL6. So there is absolutely no chance of air getting trapped.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img20200729wa0020.jpg

Also if you notice closely, there are enough small drainage holes and small gaps in the cover at the bottom(marked in red), so even that will help in some dissipation. The cover is not sealed which can stop "air" from escaping.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-8.jpg

Trust my research to be decently competent. I am not someone who will carry out a mod purely on instincts and thoughts. I plugged in SDT and did two runs with my mechanic(before and after) monitoring engine temperatures and radiator fan kicking in patterns/intervals, with car running and standing at one place, idling. There was absolutely no difference between the two.

Please point out if I missed anything.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 21:01   #109
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
What about the same air which flows into the grille? I feel the pressure will be same and there is no pressure difference created. Correct me if I am wrong. When the car is moving the engine bay will have higher pressure naturally and that will force air out from the rear end of the engine bay which is still pretty open. The front portion is covered in most vehicles until the axle. Hence what Leoshashi or Maruti has done here is nothing new nor would have a negative impact.
you are right, we are talking about the same thing.
Pressure in front of the grille > pressure within engine bay > pressure of moving air underneath car.
If you lookup a few posts above, I was asking confirmation whether the air exit rearwards-and-downwards from the engine bay (instead of both rearwards-and-downwards and straight-downwards) is what Leoshashi meant as "enough gaps".
The reason I replied to your post is only to make sure readers understand that the hot-air-exit from engine bay will take place even if radiator fan is not running (in fact, unless its a super hot day and engine is pulling super high loads, most of the time the radiator fan rarely switches on, on highways and most of those times, it's only when AC compressor kicks in)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Trust my research to be decently competent.

I was only confirming whether 'enough gaps' meant the space at the rear of the plastic sheet, didn't mean to question your research. Sorry for the misunderstanding that I may have caused

Last edited by Aditya : 31st August 2020 at 22:05. Reason: Back to back posts merged
venkyhere is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 21:10   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the misunderstanding that I may have caused
Absolutely not! I love such discussions, and often I find valid points in others' perspective.

In fact this was one of the most commonly asked questions in my friends circle, and that gave me an idea to get the readings in SDT to be sure.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 31st August 2020 at 21:18.
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 22:12   #111
BHPian

Quote:

Trust my research to be decently competent. I am not someone who will carry out a mod purely on instincts and thoughts. I plugged in SDT and did two runs with my mechanic(before and after) monitoring engine temperatures and radiator fan kicking in patterns/intervals, with car running and standing at one place, idling. There was absolutely no difference between the two.

Please point out if I missed anything.

Regards,
Shashi
No intentional flattering here, but your selfless sharing of the mod you do and the thought process gone behind, is truly appreciated! This goes out without saying the meticulous research you do study the integrity its no less than a miniature R&D.

Ok enough of flattering can we have the next update on the wind deflector that puts bay to the 'jugad'

Cheers!
MadTiger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 01:04   #112
BHPian

Quote:
I was wondering about the same thing during a long drive. Also there is this case of using a specific battery by Exide for the SHVS system to work.
Correct me if I am wrong here Leoshashi, the prices you got which adds up to 1L are after market sales price rite? I bet the price at which MSIL procures them from their suppliers are about 1/10th of that price. While i used to work for an auto company, after market spares were marked up 10 times for those spares which were not wear and tear items.
twin_turbo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 01:31   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin_turbo View Post
Correct me if I am wrong here Leoshashi, the prices you got which adds up to 1L are after market sales price rite?
Yes, MRP of MGP spares.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 08:38   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindam.dino View Post
Bonkers review, You sir have outdone yourself!
Could not find this on Amazon, can you give me a link? or locally sourced? Also about the interior lights too..
Hi,

The interior and number plate bulbs have mostly a T10 base.I would suggest below product in Amazon.

https://www.amazon.in/AUTOBAHN-T10-5...ustomerReviews

It comes with better output than Philips/Osram and provides 2 year warranty.Stock bulbs are most likely to be 5watts, so these would lessen the load on electricals by a tiny bit.
maheshm619 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 23:26   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Need your help on how to open the plastic back panel and access the number plate lights on my Ignis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshm619 View Post
I would suggest...
Thanks again man! However the lights are out of stock and the alternative I got is 300 Lumens, 9 SMD 2835. Also, it is claimed to be Can-Bus error free, does it mean no Hyper flashing then??
Old 2nd September 2020, 00:11   #116
BHPian

Quote:
However the lights are out of stock and the alternative I got is 300 Lumens, 9 SMD 2835. Also, it is claimed to be Can-Bus error free, does it mean no Hyper flashing then??
Hi,
Autobahn has their own website and currently runs a 10% offer when I last checked.They have a customer care number.I suggest you call them and confirm availability before placing an order.And regarding hyper flashing, since these are not turn indicator bulbs and are used for continuous illumination, don't worry about hyper flashing.

Last edited by vb-saan : 2nd September 2020 at 06:50. Reason: Quote tags fixed
maheshm619 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 00:28   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Need your help on how to open the plastic back panel and access the number plate lights on my Ignis.
You don't need to open the back panel. Simply hold the lens and twist it anti clockwise to open.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 00:36   #118
BHPian

Quote:
twist it anti clockwise to open.
My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-number-plate-light.jpg

I apologise for bothering you again regarding something this simple but I'm probably doing something wrong I think, it seems nothing I do makes the cover of the light budge in anyway. Attaching a picture of the same..
Old 3rd September 2020, 05:25   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 2051089

I apologise for bothering you again regarding something this simple but I'm probably doing something wrong I think, it seems nothing I do makes the cover of the light budge in anyway. Attaching a picture of the same..
Press that cap towards the inside a little and then twist and thay should do.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 23:39   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 2051089

Like DBHPian Parag said, press it inside and simultaneously twist the lens anticlockwise.

Even in my case it was pretty tight and wasn't budging easily. By the time I managed to open the first lens, my fingers were aching badly. For the second lens, I used a plier, with a microfiber cloth wrapped around the lens. Take care not to press the plier jaws, use it to gently grip the lens protrusions and then twisting becomes a lot easier.

Regards,
Shashi

PS: Meanwhile, a sneak peak into which DIY is keeping me busy:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200903_232855.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200903_233433.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (16) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks