Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2021, 00:17   #31
BHPian

Re: Athena : 5th Gen Honda City

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldemort View Post
Congratulations on the new Honda City! Your review has been absolutely fantastic, and throws more light on the car. I might consider buying this car a few years down the line.

How is the interior meterial quality? Is it an improvement over the 4th gen car?

Our 4th gen Honda City (there's actually two in our household) has been amongst the most reliable and trouble-free cars we have ever owned.

At the risk of going off-topic, I can throw some light on that (pun intended!). Mods please remove if inappropriate.

Here's how the light switches in a W212 E-Class (and most Benzes) look like:

Attachment 2111317

Here are what the options in the rotary knob mean, going anti-clockwise from right-most option:
  1. Headlamp ON. The low-beams on the car is on, regardless of the darkness situation outdoors. You can turn on high-beam via the stalk on the left side of the steering wheel.
  2. AUTO. Mercedez-Benz headlight is complicated and I'll be going severely off-topic if I begin talking about it. Suffices to say they work beautifully well. This page has a video if you wish to know more.
  3. Parking lights only.
  4. Right side parking light only
  5. Left side parking lights only
Unsure why last two options exist; perhaps in Europe they actually use that feature.

Hi, the right or left side parking lights only option exists for parking the car on a tight street. If your car is parked on the left side and the right side of the car is poking out on the street, you can activate the right side lamps and leave the vehicle with a greater degree of visibility on the steet and vice versa.

This is a great feature and can be used not only in Europe but in India too. But I guess a lack of awareness would have half the people on the street looking for the owner of the vehicle with the concern that they accidentally left the lights on .

Last edited by mkaysaw : 22nd January 2021 at 00:25. Reason: Double word
mkaysaw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 01:46   #32
BHPian

Re: Athena | My 5th-Gen Honda City Review

Congratulations on your new Honda City. And sure it was a wonderful review.
Oh boy, Be it the Honda city or any other Honda, it never fails to impress.
We too had a 3rd Gen Honda city in the past , and Honda brio (still using , 6 years old). Must say, it does feel jolly good everytime you drive.

The black button like thing on the centre of dash could be the sensor for outside temperature display and works accordingly for the automatic climate control.

Last edited by Vasanth : 22nd January 2021 at 01:47.
Vasanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 10:54   #33
BHPian

Congrats on the new City! The value quotient of the V variant is unbelievable.
Sudarshan42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 11:49   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
It was way back in the 2000's. An era of City, Ikon, Lancer, Baleno, Fiesta, Optra etc. Sadly the age of sedans is on the sunset and a new era has rushed in. And the last warrior remains. The Honda City ! This truly, is a moment in time and this is the story.
What a true statement and a super introduction to the legendary car
Excellent review and rating it 5 stars. Wishing you many miles and years with the City. I own one (albeit the 4th Gen V variant) and have no intention of changing it even after close to 7 years.
The City is a well-balanced car that manages to serve the needs of all age groups.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 22nd January 2021 at 11:52.
vsrivatsa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 15:02   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Congratulations on your new City The CVT is so smooth and silent, it can actually be sleep inducing at times ! Make sure you make good use of the ICE. Or else play with the paddle shifters on occasion just to let go of the boredom of driving at 70- 80kph/1400 rpm.
Haha. Put it in cruise control and the car pretty much manages to drive on it's own without driver input. However I am very alert and always have my foot near the brake pedal at all times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
Congratulations! That's a very well written review. I believe you are a sedate driver just like me. The bliss of driving a car at 80 to 90 kmph can not be described in words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirumalavoleti View Post
Congrats for the City. Amazing to see safety features like 4 air bags, ESP in the V variant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Congratulations on your City Trackday and all the best!
Thank you guys !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkw View Post
Congrats on your new possession which is definitely worth every Rupee. And appreciate the detailed review.
One thing I am surprised is it still doesn't seem to have illuminated power window switches.
This is the V variant, yet still the driver window is illuminated. From the brochure, I understand in higher variants all four are illuminated too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
Wonderful thread trackday! You have showcased all the important points and then some. Honda City in its latest generation is quite good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
I think you've done a better job at marketing this car than Honda ever could have TrackDay. I have not looked at any sedan with much interest in the last few years till I read your ownership review here ; )
Thank you guys !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaysaw View Post
But I guess a lack of awareness would have half the people on the street looking for the owner of the vehicle with the concern that they accidentally left the lights on .
Like you said I heard some passing folks commenting that the owner might have forgotten to switch off the lights. But I guess this is still pretty much new info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasanth View Post
Congratulations on your new Honda City. And sure it was a wonderful review.
The black button like thing on the centre of dash could be the sensor for outside temperature display and works accordingly for the automatic climate control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan42 View Post
Congrats on the new City! The value quotient of the V variant is unbelievable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
What a true statement and a super introduction to the legendary car
Excellent review and rating it 5 stars.
The City is a well-balanced car that manages to serve the needs of all age groups.
Thank you guys !
TrackDay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 15:26   #36
MCR
BHPian

What an amazing review. Congratulations on the car "TrackDay". This review is almost as good as the Team-BHP official review.
Your review of the car is actually tempting me to consider the "City" and give Honda brand another chance!
I had a 4th Gen City and sold it after having multiple issues (all of them were minor).

Is the fog lamp on the "V-CVT" variant a LED unit? I ask since I have seen multiple Youtube reviews which showcases the fog lamp on the "V" variant to be a Halogen unit.
MCR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 17:49   #37
gus
BHPian

Congrats to you and to me as well
I too got a red city V CVT and as you pointed out, it’s a much better VFM compared to the sub 4 m SUVs. People like to call it over priced but when you compare the amount of real estate and safety featured on offer starting from the base model, you realize that it’s much more VFM proposition than it seems on first glance.
I guess only Tata offers all safety features from the base model. In contrast Hyundai and KIA virtually force you to go for the top model in case you are concerned for your safety.
Lot of things go for the new city however they are a few niggles as well which I noticed.

1) Soft ride and no cornering confidence with the stock setup.
2) Hard to find a perfect and comfortable seating position.
3) No Voice command support over Bluetooth. It’s not just strange but also annoying for me. Even my 5 years old S-cross has it and for me it’s very useful. The Sales guy told me that the phone should be connected via a USB cable to work with voice command. Very annoying.
4) Headlights could have been better IMO.
5) Stock Alloys look very outdated.
6) No auto IRVM at this price.
7) When connected via Bluetooth, you cannot scroll through your recent calls list on the screen. Again not very thoughtful.
8) Beige fabric door inserts are very dirt prone. Why do companies insist on using light colored door inserts? Either make them dark or Leatherette or anything else which could be cleaned easily.

These niggles may not be niggles at all to everybody, like the voice command short coming, but they are there nonetheless.

However it is not all cloudy here, there is lot of sunlight on offer as well.

1) Looks very upmarket inside out. Literally stands out in its segment given its extended footprint. No matter how much you spend on a sub-compact SUV, when you park them beside the city, it would make the baby SUVs look.........................
2) Very nice ride quality over uneven roads. If you are not a fast and furious driver you will never complain.
3) Lots of leg space on offer both front and back.
4) Feature loaded from the base model. Wouldn’t be wrong to say it starts where the competition ends.
5) Very good NA engine.
6) Honda Name. Almost everybody who came across my new car, told me that I have made the right decision.
7) Eco mode is useful in getting a good fuel economy in city and bumper to bumper traffic
8) Huge Boot.
9) Rear seats are supremely comfortable.

Apart for this, when I booked the car Instead of opting for the accessories on offer, I chose to take the extended warrant for 4th and 5th year from the dealer and a handsome discount on the seat covers. Makes for a better deal in my opinion.
I also chose to get my car insured from my insurance agent and it helped me save 15k on the insurance (included exactly the same bells and whistles which Honda offered).

Once I took the delivery of the car, I got a few after market changes/accessories.
- 3M PPF around the back bumper and front bumpers and side view mirrors. Set me back 14K @ 595/sq-ft. 24 Square sq-ft in all.
- 7d floor mats which set me back around 3K but look much better than the ones offered by Honda. Overall uplifted the feel of the cabin.
- Got new machined alloys ( 15 inches ) in exchange of the stock ones which set me back 10K
- Got new Michelin XM2+ tyres in exchange of the MRF ZVTS eco treads (stock size). Better gripping for sure. Set me back 10K.
- Rogerab suspension buffers. It did raise the height of the car by a bit but more than that it improved the stability of the car at high speeds and its cornering ability. The difference is noticeable. So its money well spent. Set me back 6.2K. Much more confident while drifting now

All in all very satisfied with my purchase(s).
gus is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 18:26   #38
BHPian

Great review. The City was in my sights until I saw the price... I'd have had to extend my already extended budget to get one with the bells and whistles I wanted. And my wife has recently taken a liking to SUVs, so we settled on the Sonet.

Wish you many happy, safe, and reliable miles. The latter does not even come into play for Honda, especially with City which has been a name synonymous with this segment for decades now.
DeathPig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 19:02   #39
BHPian

Congratulations on your new car and a really well written review.

When the car first came to public, I didn't like the design of new gen City and I still feel the silhouette is a bit more generic unlike its predecessors which had sharp design language but I must say the car is slowly growing on me. Specially the rear with those LEDs look stunning. The door rubber beadings are well done from Honda and an improvement over previous gen car. The rubber insulation in the middle of two doors is there in all models from Honda now. You'll find these in Amaze, Wrv as well. Must have helped in better NVH. BTW, do you plan to do any paint protection or PPF in future.

The parking lights feature that you mentioned is there in most European cars these days. You'll find this in VW/Skoda cars as well.

Wishing you many trouble free (easy with Honda) happy miles ahead.
Carpainter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 19:45   #40
BHPian

Amazing review sir!

Loved reading the entire thread and this kept me hooked till the end.

Congratulations on your purchase on one of my favourite cars. Wishing you many miles and safe journeys.
bhaskar.guru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 23:35   #41
BHPian

Quote:
The Home screen with wallpaper set from my pen drive. The iconic Ford GT40 in Gulf Livery.
Hey, can you tell the details of the photo used? As in size in MB and pixels? I tried using a <2MB JPG photo but the system is not reading that. Thanks!
AutoConsultant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 02:09   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Interior Continued (ICE):

Video quality is pretty decent and crisp. However one needs to pull up the handbrake to view videos. This is for safety, meaning the car needs to be stationary.
Hey, how did you play video on the ICE?
AutoConsultant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 10:43   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Is the fog lamp on the "V-CVT" variant a LED unit? I ask since I have seen multiple Youtube reviews which showcases the fog lamp on the "V" variant to be a Halogen unit.
On the V, one gets the halogen type bulb. Higher variant comes with LED.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus View Post
Congrats to you and to me as well
All in all very satisfied with my purchase(s).
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathPig View Post
Great review.
Wish you many happy, safe, and reliable miles. The latter does not even come into play for Honda, especially with City which has been a name synonymous with this segment for decades now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
Congratulations on your new car and a really well written review.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskar.guru View Post
Congratulations on your purchase on one of my favourite cars. Wishing you many miles and safe journeys.
Thanks guys !
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoConsultant View Post
Hey, can you tell the details of the photo used? As in size in MB and pixels? I tried using a <2MB JPG photo but the system is not reading that. Thanks!
This particular File has a size of 237 KB in 1920X1080 pixels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoConsultant View Post
Hey, how did you play video on the ICE?
Just select USB/iPOD. It also starts automatically if one plugs in the Pen drive. Handbrake should be pulled up too.
Old 24th January 2021, 23:08   #44
BHPian

Hey Trackday, How are the fabric seats? I took a test drive on the Zx variant with Leather seats and they were amazing. How are the fabric seats compared to those? And since it has curtain airbags can we go for seat covers without getting our warranty void?
Old 24th January 2021, 23:37   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallardo_17 View Post
Hey Trackday, How are the fabric seats? I took a test drive on the Zx variant with Leather seats and they were amazing. How are the fabric seats compared to those? And since it has curtain airbags can we go for seat covers without getting our warranty void?
I opted for Honda genuine seat covers that are airbag compliant. It costs me almost 11k Rupees but I still opted for it as it is a Honda genuine accessory. I will try posting the pics if you need.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks