Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2021, 12:15   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Driven : 2021 Tata Safari XZA+ 6 seater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
The interior of the spied base variant looks awful.
Looks like that is a test vehicle with raw plastic components. The various coatings/finishes applied to the dashboard, door panels etc. have not been done.

Albeit, agreed that display looks bad. May as well not provide one! Will wait till the actual variant hits the market before passing judgement.

Last edited by shortbread : 26th January 2021 at 12:18.
shortbread is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 12:17   #32
Senior - BHPian

That is a brilliant scoop, thank you @Ram87Pune.

I am really worried for Safari. It is a car neither here, nor there.

Does it offer the best comfort for 6-7 adults- NO. Only comfortable for 4 (captain seats), 5 (bench seat variant).

Is the boot good enough with 6-7 seats up? NO. I believe the new gen XUV is bettering this for sure, from whatever scoops we have seen of the boot space in it.

Is it feature loaded? Definitely NOT for the rumored price of 27-28L OTR.

Is the engine capable of segment best performance?- With an additional 100 KG weight over the existing Harrier, I am not sure if the 170 PS motor will be peppy enough. XUV petrol and diesel trims are rumored to get 190 and 185 PS motors.

Does it have a great handling setup- While it is definitely way better in the high speed ride quality department over the MG hector twins, the very heavy steering at parking speeds is a huge worry. IMO the dynamics at high speed aren't exemplary either, say like a FORD.

Is it going to be a VFM bet? As stated earlier, with nearly a premium of 2-2.5L over Harrier, VFM factor is straight out of window. Pricing will be unveiled shortly, so let's wait on this.

To conclude- I don't see any reason a prospective Harrier customer should even think of going for the Safari. Only worthy addition is that of the EPB with auto Hold, but other than that nothing. I feel TATA has doomed the Safari nameplate forever.

Last edited by 07CR : 26th January 2021 at 12:19.
07CR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 12:21   #33
BHPian

I had prepared this dimension list. Sharing it here as it might be useful for people who are looking to make a purchase decision, parking requirements etc etc

This contains length, breadth, height, wheelbase and turning radius.
Attached Thumbnails
Driven : 2021 Tata Safari XZA+ 6 seater-20210126_115942.jpg  

Last edited by turbo_delight : 26th January 2021 at 12:26.
turbo_delight is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 12:25   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_delight View Post
I had prepared this dimension list. Sharing it here as it might be useful for people who are looking to make a purchase decision.

This contains length, breadth, height, wheelbase and turning radius.
Why would you add a Tata Indica Vista to your list. That car is no longer sold. Would be appreciated if you made a digital copy for this list.
momsonlydriver is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 12:28   #35
Senior - BHPian

The best and VFM 7 seater by far is the Innova Crysta, beats me why anyone would pick this over the Crysta at almost the same cost or a few thousands more or less. Even a Rs 1-2 lakh premium over the Safari, Crysta gives peace of mind that comes with Toyota reliability and service. The novelty value will wear thin once the niggles come out.
Durango Dude is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 12:40   #36
BHPian

Thanks for the effort. Why did you miss the exterior pictures from the car rear and the sides? I wonder why the arm rest is made to look skeletal, making space for something?
Except the amazing road presence and the new Impact 2.0 design language I felt there is nothing exceptional to boast about this launch.
Old 26th January 2021, 12:49   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
How heavy is the steering? Have they ditched the hydraulic he- man steering? Else will be difficult to live with. If 90%of life is on city.

Heard on the forum that it is going to be electric power steering,but I have high doubts that will be the case as this platform was not designed with EPS in mind.
Heavy hydraulic steering comes with its own Pros. And its not really that heavy to operate as few hyundai owners think. I had a old gen i20 owner having a chat with me and was raising this as a big concern and deal breaker for him.
Turbo_head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 12:49   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, official unveil tonight @ 7 PM. Watch it here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
The best and VFM 7 seater by far is the Innova Crysta, beats me why anyone would pick this over the Crysta at almost the same cost or a few thousands more or less.
Agreed for utility, practicality & reliability. But looks / aesthetics / style are big draws for customers. I, for one, would NEVER buy an MPV as my own car. Wouldn't mind having an Innova as the family beater, but NEVER as my personal self-driven car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_delight View Post
I had prepared this dimension list. Sharing it here as it might be useful for people who are looking to make a purchase decision, parking requirements etc etc
Thanks . No offence, but there is an amazing piece of software you should start using .
GTO is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 12:53   #39
BHPian

Great review on the Safari.

With Tata, the market sentiment and comments here on Team-BHP seem to be "Superb, but somehow not ready to buy". Perhaps because of the "Taxi" image or snob value of owning a Tata product after spending 20+ L.

Added to that are the horror stories of the After-Sales Service, although because people will only talk about their bad experiences (and not good ones), especially in India.

1 question to the OP. You have mentioned:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post

5. Top notch safety kit with a plethora of both active and passive safety features.

6. Solid build quality and robust construction.

Negatives

1. Questionable safety of the product as Tata is yet to test the Harrier as well as the Safari at NCAP.
Should you be saying that Tata is yet to test at NCAP instead of mentioning "Questionable Safety" after mentioning the safety kit and build? Don't mean this as criticism, but as a honest question.
sridharj77 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 13:05   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Thanks . No offence, but there is an amazing piece of software you should start using .
Why it'll offend ? It's just that I prefer copy pen over typing in excel. Also photos gets auto saved to cloud, so its accessible anywhere, anytime, through laptop or mobile. And easy to find.

Last edited by turbo_delight : 26th January 2021 at 13:06.
turbo_delight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 13:07   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
The best and VFM 7 seater by far is the Innova Crysta, beats me why anyone would pick this over the Crysta at almost the same cost or a few thousands more or less. Even a Rs 1-2 lakh premium over the Safari, Crysta gives peace of mind that comes with Toyota reliability and service. The novelty value will wear thin once the niggles come out.
Agree with you, but for lot of people, Innova is an MPV and for most of the heads of the families (read it as 'wife' ) it is taxi vehicle. Without head's approval, only a few succeed in purchasing vehicle of their choice.
Sreejith V is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 13:07   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilicious View Post
I think this was not necessary to write since the word "questionable" is used very negativly where one is trying to imply that it is not upto the standards. I'm sure this is not what the reviewer is trying to say here. Moreover, we don't use this word for any other car reviews which have not been crash tested yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharj77 View Post
Should you be saying that Tata is yet to test at NCAP instead of mentioning "Questionable Safety" after mentioning the safety kit and build? Don't mean this as criticism, but as a honest question.
I think we need to keep a couple of items in context to understand where the OP is coming from.
  1. OP is an existing Tata car owner (Hexa IIRC) and not a professional reviewer. So there probably is minimal chance of a brand bias causing this word choice.
  2. Previously he has shared few more details, scoops & insights into why the Harrier "may" not have yet been tested & that there might be doubts about certification yet. Especially when Tata is on a spree of 4 & 5 star tests for all new cars since a couple of years. His points on that are shared here - Link to Harrier crash test details post (2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review)

Out of this context / without this background certainly the remark "questionable" appears surprising since the car isn't formally tested yet. But with this background I guess the OP's personal opinion might be justifiable. Perhaps "Unknown" / "Unproven" would be what we'd find acceptable.

Anyway - I guess its high time that Tata closes this doubt categorically by simply coming out with flying colours in a crash test for the Harrier-Safari. Unless there are stars on the board - everyone is entitled an opinion.
  1. IMHO - if I were Tata and trying to launch a car like the H7X/Safari in choppy waters - I'd time my crash test precisely within Jan-Feb'21 and come out with 5 stars.
  2. This would be the BEST time to prove the safety credentials and add much needed after-burner to the car's initial sales.
  3. Nobody would fixate on small boot / missing gizmos in lower trims in that case
  4. Given their good timing since Jan'20 - I am hopeful that they are aligning something good in next few weeks.

Last edited by Reinhard : 26th January 2021 at 13:11.
Reinhard is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 13:23   #43
BHPian

From the pictures posted above and the one from the official harrier review, hoping the base variant of the safari will get curtain airbags too. The car looks like a pre production test mule but if they are able to get the curtain airbags on even the xe/xm model it will be a great safety feature.
Also looks like the 8 seater gets rear recline seats from the picture but it does not seem to go much.
Attached Thumbnails
Driven : 2021 Tata Safari XZA+ 6 seater-2019tataharrier22.jpg  

Driven : 2021 Tata Safari XZA+ 6 seater-safari.jpeg  

spkrnh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 13:25   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrnh View Post
From the pictures posted above and the one from the official harrier review, hoping the base variant of the safari will get curtain airbags too. The car looks like a pre production test mule but if they are able to get the curtain airbags on even the xe/xm model it will be a great safety feature.
Just the presence of the caps may not assure of airbag presence though. These may well be dummy caps. Afterall, the panels are shared across trims and not necessarily all parts are made differently for different trim levels.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 13:25   #45
BHPian

IMO Tata should've done atleast these things to differentiate from Harrier
1. Bigger infotainment Screen
2. All leather interior like Hector Plus
3. Different set alloys than Harrier

They can't sell Safari with the same FONT as Harrier at a premium just because they now have a third row. HOWWW is it a safari if it looks and feels the same as harrier inside out?!
vellatechie is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks