Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2021, 22:26   #91
BHPian

Re: Driven : 2021 Tata Safari XZA+ 6 seater

I watched the show to see the pricing but apparently launch and price revelation happening at different times is the new norm according to our members' comments.

From what I have seen 50k max over the harrier is all I would be willing to pay for this. Anything more its tata to Tata.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 22:35   #92
BHPian

Just a couple of things.

Having gone through all the threads concerning the Safari, I'm scratching my head as to what the consensus is on the car. Does the forum like it or hate it? Cause I think it's a mixed reaction with a tilt towards the negative side. Could we have a poll put up so that people can vote on whether they like the car or not? Would be nice to know what the overall opinion on the car is.

Considering that this account of the Safari has been put up, will we still be receiving the mods' review of the car?
nikhilthegunner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 22:56   #93
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Motors unveils the all-new Safari

This drip feeding leads to brand fatigue (and this, before launch). Tata should announce pricing and make this car available for 'touch', at all points now
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
This might be the overpayed marketing department being oversmart for their own good, by trying to keep the Safari "in the news cycle" by drip feeding information.
Sebring is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 22:57   #94
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

As the time goes by, I am starting to feel that a 2L+ difference on the corresponding Harrier variants would be a suicide for Safari. I would give a max of 50K difference for corresponding Safari variants.
Old 26th January 2021, 23:14   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
In my view a 6 seater is neither here nor there for a personal car buyer. It is a 4 seater with huge luggage capacity (waste of automotive real estate) or a 5-6 seater with 1 unhappy passenger and an unhappy mother (limited luggage).

Based on the points mentioned in the review, the Safari brings zero value addition to the table relative to the Innova. It doesnt have a 3rd row that is as comfortable. It doesnt have a boot space that is as much as the Innova. It is a mild soft roader like the rest of the lot. And they expect people to pay 26-28 lacs ? And what's with this huge list of variants for a supposedly premium product ? Do they want to cannibalise the Harrier ?

Bottom line- They should have made a proper AWD 7 seater with comfort/luxury options targeting 20-30 lacs price that would have taken out some of the market from the Fortuner/Endeavour or even the Compass, instead of landing in no-mans-land like this. It would have befitted the Safari brand lineage too.
Interesting to see the comparison between India's best selling mpv and Tata's newest "suv". I'm not sure if a mpv buyer would want to buy a "suv"? However a certain amount of cross segment shopping will take place for sure. Can the Safari be an alternative to the Innova? I feel not. It definitely can't carry as much people plus luggage as the Innova, it's not even marketed as such. What the Safari may do is increase the overall number of Tata customers, especially people who like the Harrier but need an additional two seats at times. Had Tata called this car Harrier plus, it would make complete sense, however they tried using the emotional connect of the Safari to see if they can get a bigger slice of the SUV pie.
Old 26th January 2021, 23:14   #96
Senior - BHPian

Tata Safari - The Legend Is Here trailer

Venkatesh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 23:27   #97
BHPian

(Slightly OT. Mods, please delete if this is redundant.)

That 'Majestic Skydome' reference to the panoramic sunroof in the launch video today was up there with referring humble Rasgulla to as 'Sweet Cottage Cheese Dumplings dipped in Sugar Syrup'!

And voila! That's Rs. 25,000 hike over Harrier justified!
museycal is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 23:28   #98
BHPian

I feel that Tata should have offered the Safari XE or at least XM variant in the 6 seater configuration. In that case, it would have been a very strong competitor to the Toyota Innova Crysta's captain seats variant in the taxi segment ( a variant which is in high demand as a luxury cab, and has very little competition in the form of the Mahindra Marazzo).

This is nowhere mentioned in the thread that what would be the seating configurations offered variant wise. However, based on the knowledge gathered in this (Driven : 2021 Tata Safari XZA+ 6 seater) thread, the 6 seater options would be available from XZ variant onwards.

Last edited by Big Smoke : 26th January 2021 at 23:35.
Big Smoke is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 23:49   #99
BHPian

What was the point of the launch today? They didn't announce the price.

Edit: I saw the ad and somehow felt disconnected from the product and the concept.

I have seen the old Safari ads at least a few dozen times. It had a message. This one felt like a remix song made using a classic tune. The remix may become more popular than the original, but the touch of class was missing.

Last edited by Cessna182 : 27th January 2021 at 00:01.
Cessna182 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 23:57   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

XT+ gets the panoramic sunroof and XZ doesn’t, how illogical is that! Tata better take some more time for the launch and get their variant-features distribution right at the launch.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 23:59   #101
BHPian

Tata Safari brochure:

PDF Format: Safari brochure.pdf

Imaginator live on this link.

Driven : 2021 Tata Safari XZA+ 6 seater-safari-brochurehigh2_page_2.jpg

Link
Beelzebub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 00:16   #102
BHPian

Not a Safari fanboy, but pinning the name just to evoke some sort of nostalgia is a desperate move. Tata could've done better with their in-house branding, and just let the Gravitas be a different beast. Now it comes along with the baggage of comparison despite being a competent package. I'd just buy the Harrier- smaller by over a 100mm, no jhanjhat with the Unusable Third Row, and to my eyes better looking.
Sudarshan42 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 00:18   #103
BHPian

I wonder when some kind manufacturer will give all the safety features in atleast the mid variants and keep the bling and the gizmos for the top variants!

You want six airbags? Hard luck, please give us a few lakhs more for more speakers and sunroof and some additional you might not want.
pavanmadhini is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 00:29   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

The legend is here trailer is just dumb, Its cute though and would suit a minivan. Whatever happened to the Reclaim your life and Make your own road campaign is beyond my understanding.

Like many others have mentioned , Perhaps this really wasn't supposed to be Safari from day 1.
Kosfactor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 00:31   #105
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SahilS View Post
- TPMS (from XT onwards)

- EPB with Auto-Hold (from XZ onwards)

- iRA connected car tech (from XT onwards)

- 18 inch tyres from XT onwards

- Rear Disc Brakes (from Base XE onwards)

- Boss Mode - Increases second-row legroom (from Base XE onwards)

- Mood Lighting (from XT onwards)

- Auto Dimming irvm (from XT onwards vs XZ+ in Harrier)

XZ+ vs XZ in Safari is only sunroof addition. In Harrier XZ+ had a lot more than just a sunroof vs XZ. So Basically XZ of Safari is a lot more loaded than XZ of Harrier.
I don’t think this should be a problem. It is clear that Safari gets many more features than the Harrier. Which means that the XZ variant in Safari has much more features than it does in Harrier.

IMO the Safari variant spread is much better than Harrier and Tata is being unnecessarily bashed in this forum by many. If Harrier with lesser features is selling, the Safari will also sell. There has to be a limit to the number of features that can be crammed in a car. Seriously? This is not a chinese mobile phone.

Only global companies like Hyundai/Kia/Suzuki etc, which have the volumes of selling cars in 100s of countries can manage such efficiencies of scale. Even Mahindra will not be able to match the insane number of features for a frugal price. It is just plain economics.
People who only want features in lesser price will buy Hyundai/Kia/MG with pathetic build quality & structure.

In every variant, the Safari has more features than Harrier, without even considering the 3rd row seats or the functional roof rails.

Things like wireless mobile charger, 360 degree camera and ventilated seats are being called as essential features. This really cracks me up. It is a car, not a house or spa. Many SUVs in higher segments don’t have 360 camera yet.

I can understand the criticism for name Safari or the lack of 4WD, but these critiques are just brand bashing without any merit. It has been said earlier on the forum, that we are critical because we want Tata to succeed. But this doesn’t seem like it. Just look at the number of new features added in Safari vs Harrier. Instead of appreciating, we are just bashing them. Is this how we want to be as a forum?

@Mods : Mentioning “questionable safety” as a negative only because of lack of a GNCAP score is just not fair and needs to be either reverted or the same standard applied to every car on the forum.

Last edited by Napalm : 27th January 2021 at 01:01. Reason: Removed comments about XZ vs XZ+ as the point is already covered. Some edit in bold font words.
Napalm is offline   (33) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed