Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2021, 23:33   #226
BHPian

Re: Driven : 2021 Tata Safari XZA+ 6 seater

I am contemplating swapping my Storme with the new Safari. I'm waiting for the AWD version. I was looking to see how it stacks against my current ride.
Some comparison with the outgoing Storme

Driven : 2021 Tata Safari XZA+ 6 seater-2021tatasafarivssafaristrome21068x629.jpg

Driven : 2021 Tata Safari XZA+ 6 seater-2021tatasafarivssafaristrome11068x653.jpg

Driven : 2021 Tata Safari XZA+ 6 seater-2021tatasafarivssafaristrome121068x641.jpg

Source: gaadiwaadi.com
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 01:36   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Hi, will fitment of a MLD help a FWD vehicle navigate rain/slush conditions better, or is that applicable only for RWD vehicles?

http://www.eaton.in/EatonIN/Products..._329342#tabs-1

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-t...off-shelf.html (Eaton MLD (M-Locker) now available off the shelf)
A mechanical locking differential uses mechanical force difference to send power to the wheel with traction. In theory a limited slip differential should do the same thing, but in reality it is found a bit wanting especially if one driving wheel is in the air.

See the video to understand:

Softroaders use ESP modes along with sensors to detect things like weight on wheels, bank angle etc and use abs braking to brake free spinning wheels and send powers to wheels with traction. Hence no need for MLD or LSD
apachelongbow is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 08:00   #228
Senior - BHPian

I am also thinking about swapping my Hexa for this now. Naming it safari has brought so much aspirational value to this. I would not have even watched the reviews if it was named the Gravitas. My only doubt is about the ground clearance. I will wait till the pricing announcements and reviews to make up my mind.

How I wish there was some loyalty program from TML for the earlier Hexa/Safari owners. Now that Hexa is discontinued, its resale value is pretty much doomed and there will be many Hexa owners who will probably not touch a Tata again because of how they managed the Hexa brand. Even a namesake minor discount based loyalty program for Storme and Hexa owners will win TML some life long customers.
padmrajravi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 08:33   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Now that Hexa is discontinued, its resale value is pretty much doomed and there will be many Hexa owners who will probably not touch a Tata again because of how they managed the Hexa brand. Even a namesake minor discount based loyalty program for Storme and Hexa owners will win TML some life long customers.
When you are writing the cheque on a million+ rupee Tata, you should realise you are losing a lot of money if you want to change that SUV/MPV in 5 years.

Tatas specially the last gen (Storme/Hexa) have absurd resale value no matter they are currently on sale or not.

I have owned 7 Tata cars in my life, and every resale was tragically

For an example, I bought a new Sumo Grande for 8.9 lakhs in 2009 and sold it for 3.5 lakhs in 2012 after just 93000 km.

Bought a new Safari Dicor LX for 10.5 lakhs in 2012 and sold it for 3.5 lakhs in 2018, after 1.4 lakh km.

Meanwhile, my 2007 swift diesel VDI was bought for 6 lakhs brand new, and I sold it for 4.5 lakhs in 2013 after 90000 km.

Tatas suck at resale.

But I must also admit that selling my Safari Dicor was a bad idea financially. I bought a new Storme V400 as a replacement for the Dicor.

Regarding the Tata's 2.2 DIcor/Varicor engine, I have 2.6 lakh km experience (over 3 SUVs) and I am pretty firm when I tell you that it is bloody reliable if driven and maintained properly.

I had no niggles (engine/transmission/electric related) in my Dicor nor in my Grande or in my current Storme v400.

Your Hexa is a beautiful, all-round car which provides comfort and space like a very few cars, even in a couple segments up. So, don't ever think about selling it soon. It will be reliable and will last really long.

If I had to sell my 3 year old 2018 Storme V400 which has just run 26k km, I would get a maximum of 9 lakhs as resale. And I bought it for 17 lakhs! Depreciation bites other car owners, but it eats the Tata owners.

Tiago/Nexon/Altroz definitely will have better resale though.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 31st January 2021 at 08:35.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 09:29   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
PS: Current Storme owners, pls dont take offense that the resale i have quoted is too low. I have quoted the reality. I have sold safari in the past, and sadly truth hurts. Moreover a 2018 Safari buyer did not buy it with resale as a priority. It was bought with passion and usually passion towards anything with motors and wheels is pretty costly.
No offense taken!

A Safari like a Bullet is rarely if ever bought after crunching numbers.

Both are perceptionally and aspirationally forever vehicles which an enthusiast looks forward to owning and enjoying forever, fettling away at it and keeping them purring.

Beyond a point in time, it makes little sense to sell these legends. Where they are worth a lot more to the owner than what the market is willing to pay for them.

So for guys like me it's a happy place to be in.

One thing that concerns me about Tata Motors though is their long term vision and commitment to a product and a product line. And of course their customers who put their money on the line and paid for them.

The Aria. The Xenon. The Storme. The Hexa.

All were systematically killed off.

I don't know whether that will be a factor in the thinking calculus of prospective buyers of the new Safari, more than finance calculations and depreciation and resale workings.

Because it's surely impacting the market.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 09:46   #231
Senior - BHPian

Tata Safari starts arriving at dealerships

Driven : 2021 Tata Safari XZA+ 6 seater-fb_img_16120665003269348.jpg

Driven : 2021 Tata Safari XZA+ 6 seater-fb_img_16120665045276914.jpg

Source : Rushlane
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 09:50   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Tata Safari starts arriving at dealerships
Those seats and upholstery seem too white to me. Will get soiled very easily. How I wish they came with classy dark tan colour interiors and seats like the luxe Germans. It would have been amazing and would have lifted up the ambience by a few notches.
Old 31st January 2021, 09:54   #233
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Those seats and upholstery seem too white to me. Will get soiled very easily. How I wish they came with classy dark tan colour interiors and seats like the luxe Germans. It would have been amazing and would have lifted up the ambience by a few notches.
I'm sure a dark edition will be out in a few months like they did with the Harrier.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 10:36   #234
BHPian

Could anyone point me to the workings of the ESP modes in the Harrier /NEW Safari and other SUVs which offer this tech. Really interested to know how the electronics intervene .

OT: The resale of the Safari/ Storme saga is lesser said the better. Just to see the brighter side, Let's just say I've enjoyed exclusivity in many towns and even few cities because there are so few around compared to say the Mahindra offerings.

For eg. In the entire Andaman and Nicobar Islands, mine is the only private Safari Storme doing rounds. All spares have to come from mainland and that takes months at times as they'll have to come by ship. Coconut cracked my front windshield once and I had to drive two months with cellotape till they shipped the replacement from Chennai. Thankfully the A&N police use Storme White VX as the Parakram and so running spares are available .

Major OT : You would be surprised to know the high private car : population ratio in Port Blair, but that's a whole new thread.
There is no Toyota dealership here so Ford Endeavour rules the roost. You throw a stone and it will hit an Ecosport. I'll start a thread on the islands car scene sometime )
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 10:54   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
Could
For eg. In the entire Andaman and Nicobar Islands, mine is the only private Safari Storme doing rounds. All spares have to come from mainland and that takes months at times as they'll have to come by ship. Coconut cracked my front windshield once and I had to drive two months with cellotape till they shipped the replacement from Chennai. Thankfully the A&N police use Storme White VX as the Parakram and so running spares are available .
On the issue of spares and Tata Motors, moreso for the white elephants like the Storme (where local high quality manufacturers have never jumped in or to close to the same extent as for the much longer running Dicor), the situation is barely better on the mainland either. That too in the wet city where the vehicles are made!

Non running items like tailgate latch and power steering fluid pipe assembly, you would have to wait 2-3 days to a week before they manage the Herculean effort of getting the part from the spares Central depot 30 km away, to the workshop.

I compare that to.my KTM, also made literally next door, in Poona. Never ever have had to wait for a single spare. Running part or slow moving one-off.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 31st January 2021 at 10:58.
Old 31st January 2021, 19:04   #236
BHPian

Cutest Tata Safari Designer

Do watch his latest video in this Pratap Bose's tweet

https://twitter.com/BosePratap/statu...909329922?s=08

Another video

Last edited by JS Kwt : 31st January 2021 at 19:08.
JS Kwt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 20:22   #237
Senior - BHPian

Saw the new Safari on the Gurgaon Faridabad expressway today.

Driven : 2021 Tata Safari XZA+ 6 seater-img_20210131_103922.jpg

Driven : 2021 Tata Safari XZA+ 6 seater-img_20210131_103930.jpg
coolkurt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 20:34   #238
rbg

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Saw the new Safari on the Gurgaon Faridabad expressway today.

Attachment 2116192

Attachment 2116191
Oh they are on our roads finally. Can't wait for the review.
Imo the tyres(although 235/r17/r18) seems a size or two narrower for it to grace the Safari especially from the rear. Looks a bit non butch.
I am eagerly waiting to swap the rapid diesel for the 4x4 later this year for sure!! Blue body with Matt black grill and no chrome treatment and blackened alloys and tinker the 80/120 kmph warning lady. Can't wait!
Cheers!
rbg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 20:41   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

Rumour: Tata to launch Safari at introductory price of ₹14.99Lakh to ₹21.99Lakh.

Quote:
While prices for the new Safari are yet to be announced, the booking will begin from February 4. However, our sources have confirmed that the new Safari will go on sale at an introductory starting price of Rs. 14.99 lakh, whereas the top-end trim will cost Rs 21.99 lakh. This comes via a close contact of the designated marketing team of upcoming Tata Safari.
https://indianauto.com/news/new-tata...9-lakh-nid8853
CEF_Beasts is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 22:37   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbg View Post
Oh they are on our roads finally. Can't wait for the review.
Imo the tyres(although 235/r17/r18) seems a size or two narrower for it to grace the Safari especially from the rear. Looks a bit non butch.
The discovery sport, the Range Rover Evoque, Fpace all have the same tyre dimensions.
apachelongbow is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks