Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2021, 13:52   #181
BANNED

Re: Driven : 2021 Tata Safari XZA+ 6 seater

Couple of clarifications require our expert community help:

1) In the spec, fuel tank size is mentioned as 50L and DEF tank as 15L.
a) Is this 15L included within 50L (or) 50L + 15L?
b) What is DEF tank meant for? Is it something do to reduce Selective Catalytic Reduction?
Source: https://cars.tatamotors.com/suv/safari/specifications

2) Under Safety & Security tab in variants, it's mentioned as Disc brake wiping. What is it for?

Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 14:56   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManneAtWheelz View Post
TATA New Safari Officially Revealed, No price mention yet. Bookings from 4th Feb onwards.
Regarding "Majestic Skydome", this question might be naive.

But, doesn't it compromise on structural rigidity of the car, especially considering a crash scenario where a car might go turtle(God forbid)?
Old 29th January 2021, 15:11   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsr_83 View Post
Couple of clarifications require our expert community help:
Below are my answers to your questions. Others may chip in with more information.

Quote:
1) In the spec, fuel tank size is mentioned as 50L and DEF tank as 15L.
a) Is this 15L included within 50L (or) 50L + 15L?
b) What is DEF tank meant for? Is it something do to reduce Selective Catalytic Reduction?
a) No, it is not included. The 15L DEF is a separate tank and the 50L fuel tank is a separate tank. Both capacities are independent numbers, as those are two physically separate tanks. DEF and fuel are not mixed together. They are separately stored and separately refilled.
b) The DEF tank is meant for DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid), also known as AdBlue. DEF is used in Selective Catalytic Reduction as a reducing agent, to reduce the amount of pollutants, by converting Nitrogen Oxide (NOx) into Nitrogen and water.

Quote:
2) Under Safety & Security tab in variants, it's mentioned as Disc brake wiping. What is it for?
This feature is quite common in many modern cars. While driving in rainy conditions, a thin water film formed on the brake discs can reduce braking and it can be potentially dangerous. In such cases, this feature ensures that the ABS system applies small brake pressures at appropriate times (the system decides on when to do this using several inputs such as driver using the wipers - this is usually triggered by the wiper action) to eliminate this water film and "wipe" the discs. This is what is called as Disc Brake Wiping function. The exact implementation will vary from vehicle to vehicle, but what I mentioned is the general principle of how this feature works.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 29th January 2021 at 15:15.
Dr.AD is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 15:45   #184
BHPian

I've to disagree with most of the crowd here. Saw couple of new Safari few days back, the vehicle was being driven most probably to showroom. The vehicle in blue looked wonderful and I initially thought it was the old Safari. The car at least from rear three quarter and side (in person) does look like the Safari. Then again its my opinion, from front it is no where related to the old Safari though. A person who loves the brand Safari and is not much into 4X4 will surely look into the new Safari.

I remember there was a discussion that the new Safari can't have a Panoramic sunroof, seems we all need to eat the humble pie now.

Overall happy to see a cult vehicle in a new form.
Jerryaj is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 16:56   #185
BHPian

Got one forward for expected price. Attaching the same. And my reply.
Attached Thumbnails
Driven : 2021 Tata Safari XZA+ 6 seater-20210129_165137.jpg  

Driven : 2021 Tata Safari XZA+ 6 seater-20210129_165115.jpg  

turbo_delight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 17:42   #186
GTO
Team-BHP Support

^ Don't understand how anyone can expect a small premium over the Harrier.

Panoramic sunroof = Rs 60,000 at the minimum
Rear disc brakes = 20,000 bucks
3rd row seat = 30,000 bucks minimum (not even counting structural mods)
18" rims & tyres = 25,000 difference

Total = 1.35 lakhs

Then we have stuff like the e-parking brake, auto-hold, TPMS, boss mode lever, new connected tech on the ICE, optional captain seats, air vents on the C-Pillar, extra fast charging ports etc. etc.

The above is easily an additional 2 lakh rupees of value & utility.
GTO is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 17:53   #187
BHPian

Safari is only around 6.3cms longer than Harrier? (459.8 to 466.1 ?) That seems pretty small difference, no wonder the boot is so less. Wonder if they could have lengthened it bit more?
Old 29th January 2021, 17:56   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Doesn't the current Harrier already come with panoramic sunroof? Please correct me if I am missing something.

In case of Harrier vs. Safari, people will compare the gap between Hector and Hector Plus which come with a similar setup.

Edit: Just checked, the gap between Hector and Hector Plus is 80k ex-showroom, for the top-end variants. Tata should try to limit the premium for Safari at 1.5L max.

Last edited by ashis89 : 29th January 2021 at 17:59. Reason: Added Hector prices
ashis89 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 18:04   #189
BHPian

Quote:

Rear disc brakes = 20,000 bucks
3rd row seat = 30,000 bucks minimum (not even counting structural mods)
18" rims & tyres = 25,000 difference

Total = 1.35 lakhs

Then we have stuff like the e-parking brake, auto-hold, TPMS, boss mode lever, new connected tech on the ICE, optional captain seats, air vents on the C-Pillar, extra fast charging ports etc. etc.

The above is easily an additional 2 lakh rupees of value & utility.

Thank you GTO for this a much needed objective assessment of this oft repeated and illogical wish many have expressed.

More than us, Tata will be super worried about getting the premium over Harrier right - too high and Safari is dead, too low and Harrier is dead.
And Safari is their flagship, all the more reason to make the best business decision.

Looks like folks are thinking they'll add a lakh or so over Harrier and get the Safari (similar variant) - they better be ready to get disappointed.
Even Tata wouldn't want the premium to be so small.

However, if someone is in the market for a 7 seater <30L, they'll choose between Safari, new XUV500 and new Scorpio; not between Harrier and Safari.
I may be totally wrong, but do strongly feel that a potential Safari or XUV500 customer will not consider the chinese option.

But then, all this isn't surprising, people have a special love for Tata and it shows in all Tata car threads.

cheers
lazy

Last edited by lazy : 29th January 2021 at 18:06.
lazy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 18:12   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

The current Harrier on sale has Panoramic Sunroof, Hill hold, Brown leather seats etc , the main differentiator here is the additional 2 seats. Looking at them side by side, Harrier looks better.

Hector \ Plus - with 7 seat and 6 seat combinations are only ~50K away from the 5 seater version, therefore expectations are set in terms of the price.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 18:15   #191
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Doesn't the current Harrier already come with panoramic sunroof? Please correct me if I am missing something.
Yikes! My bad. Yes, in that case, best to remove the panoramic sunroof from my earlier calculations. I agree with your figure of 1.5 lakhs then (I would say it should be under 1.5 lakhs).

Although, I might add, those 3rd row seats alone would be worth a lakh to me. Even if I use it once in 6 weeks, that is still one less car needed every 6 weeks (anything over 5 people would usually require a 2nd car). So that is 9 times a year, and about 100 times of usage in the 10 years that I typically retain a car. BHPians with large families might use the 3rd row more frequently.

Long wheelbase cars cost lakhs more than their regular wheelbase siblings (new 3-Series LWB, price premium of E-Class LWB, Superb vs Octavia). 1 business class return flight ticket to the USA costs 1 lakh rupees extra (over economy) for additional legroom. Keeping this kind of premium for LWB cars & some extra legroom in mind, that 3rd row seat is worth 1 lakh rupees to me at the minimum.

Last edited by GTO : 29th January 2021 at 18:17. Reason: '
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 18:26   #192
BHPian

A Tribute to legendary SAFARI and a teaser for ALL NEW SAFARI - this is TALKING CARS - a newly found Malayalam YouTube channel driven by 2 experts Vivek and JayD ! Screams quality just like teambhp reviews , they should come up with a English channel ASAP , great content !

TorqueIndia is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 18:47   #193
Senior - BHPian

A 2lac gap with the Harrier is necessary to ensure the Safari does not cannibalise its sibling's sales.

As per the value for the additional features and 3rd row of seat, measuring simply the material expenses is pointless because that is not how the market works.

Model demand works in strange ways, for eg. sedan variants charge a noticeable premium to the hatchback originals, much more than the actual cost of adding an extended boot. Or hiked up/SUV variants sharing literally the same platform, engines, drivetrains, interiors charge almost a 50% premium over their hatchback derivatives. DOes any of this make sense?

India has a thirst for big 3 row SUVs and manufacturers know this as well.

A one lac premium makes negligible difference especially to buyers using credit for the purchase. The Harrier model and name now has a two year presence in India and is seeing increasing demand. A 2 lac gap ensures noticeable price differentiation.

This puts it at a slight premium over the current XUV500, very much justifiable for a new model/platform. The only other competition is the extended hector. While the chinese hector maybe cheaper I think the SUV profile of the Safari will give it a definitive advantage over the more MPV'ish Hector 7seater. Plus the brand recall and being an Indian offering will have its own appeal for the Safari especially in current climes.
Old 29th January 2021, 20:28   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Thanks Ram for the review.
And with that, Tata has pretty much killed the "Safari" brand name. There is no way now to have another goood SUV with the Safari name - unless they rebrand this one, or altogether terminate this 7-seater.
This is clearly not a Safari.

I think the name is safe as long as real Safaris continue being driven on the road.

Cheers, Doc
Old 29th January 2021, 21:08   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Don't understand how anyone can expect a small premium over the Harrier.
Because the harrier was already overpriced.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks