Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2022, 19:21   #226
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: Red Rage - Mahindra XUV7OO - Initial Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
XUV700 has EPS - Electronic Power Steering. I.e steering has it's own motor and the torque delivered by this motor is controlled by the ECU. And as you can imagine, the torque is higher during lower speeds and lesser in higher speeds and it's finely calibrated.

10K service doesn't mandate a tyre rotation. However if it's done, there's a SOP (Standard Operating Procedure)/SRS that involves taking a baseline before wheel alignment and then calibrating using the software. In my case, the wheel alignment at the Trichy Service Center was done without the software calibration and that resulted in inconsistent steering feedback and subpar driving experience in general.

While it appears that this SOP/SRS is standard process and should be followed for all vehicles with EPS, being a new vehicle, I suppose the Service Center missed to follow it.
Does the XUV700 have a steering angle sensor ? I'm guessing that it has to have, because usually, EPS systems 'adjust' the motor assist based on
(a) the change in steering angle
(b) severity of the steering angle change
(c) vehicle speed
And the vast majority of EPS cars in the world don't need any 'extra' calibration that modifies factory settings, everytime wheels get rotated or aligned.
I am surprised that the XUV700 steering assist program needs specific 'hand holding' everytime the wheels are touched; wondering how and why it's designed like this.
venkyhere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 12:24   #227
BHPian

Dear BHPians, please accept my apologies in not keeping you informed about the XUV7OO experiences for the last couple of months. It's been a hectic pace, with a new job, new location and same wife. My daily commute of 40 km, came down to 40 km per week and now stands at a healthy 40km per month ! The kids get dropped in a much more expensive vehicle - The school bus, which had relieved of the designated driver status to some extent. Further the traffic scene on Avinashi Road in Coimbatore, convinced the almighty, rather grudgingly though, to relieve me of the bonded-labour-driver category. Coimbatore weather does help in easing the passenger mood and the 2-wheeler drive in general with a pleasant breeze almost every day. More on weather in a little bit. But first things first. The traffic situation in coimbatore and general driving dynamics, which I find interesting.

Peak hour traffic is akin to Chennai road traffic, but no where close to Bangalore I guess. But it sucks to be competing with a snail, even more so when you are loosing the race. And so the Almighty who sees and reacts to things in slow motion, is petrified that the traffic movement is only slightly better than ultra slow motion and it was agreed that we shall use the 2 wheeler to carry as many bodies as possible for short commutes and take the Red Rage only when absolutely warranted - like when it's raining or when the sun is beating down. which by the way happens simultaneously almost every day.
  • First time in my "India Life", I experienced drivers stop and allow/gesture you to cross.
  • Almost all cars are white. Red Rage is only RED XUV700 in the whole of Coimbatore. Atleast I haven't seen one in the wild, which makes dumping bodies a little more trickier.
  • Most cars are driven sedately, with proper indicators while changing lanes (if there's any) and no hard acceleration, deceleration, no suicide runs. Perhaps its to do with the number of females drivers on road. Makes the roads a little less road ragy.
  • And two wheelers - Whats with these people looking to the left and right while turning. Wearing helmets and still looking at rear-view mirrors and most importantly, not sitting on to the horn. I barely get honked at, both from cars and two wheelers and the roads are generally a lot less noisier. These guys must be made from a different mold.
  • While the traffic situation has changed drastically in the last 20 years, since I moved out, it's nice to be back, especially after spending a few months in a hell-hole called "Trichy".
  • During night the number of vehicles on high beam in city limits is a lot less.
  • I hardly get to see car windshields plastered with the names of family, extended family along with Aadhaar Card, PAN Card details, their religious, political and entertainment affinity. Heck not even the dealer names are there in any of the cars.
  • The number of Jeep Cherokee is much more than what I saw in any part of USA.
  • Jaguars and Mercedes are self driven, Only the maybachs and ghosts are chauffeured around.
  • In any part of India, in order to qualify to be a taxi driver, I think you need to pass the a**H**e certification and Coimbatore Taxis are no exception.

With the vehicle resting for most of the time, tyre pressure is dropping everyday and once a week, I have to top up air. Not the case when I used rot drive this around extensively.

The Arabian Sea is lot closer, which warrants the Red Rage to experience some Arabian Sea breeze. And here is a short.

Will try to write a detailed travelogue in the next few days/weeks.

The Red Rage has been to Kolli Hills, which was a bullet run and so no photos are videos. The nearer hill station is becoming us for sometime now. Hopefully when the rains let up a bit, we may venture up.

However Kerala was a revelation. Storm water drains are used for storm water draining and not toilet draining. Roads and roads everywhere, even the tiniest coastal hamlet had a pukka tar road, albeit all smaller roads. Will try to include someone when I write the travelogue.

And on the vehicle handling and performance - This vehicle doesn't cease to amaze me. Highways, hills, monsoon you throw anything at it, will handle. Except of course mud and slush. I'll try to post a video of the XUVs weak point, where it struggles a wee bit, as compared to MG Hector or a Safari. While mine is not a AWD, I would expect some traction in conditions where a Hector performed a little better.

Nowadays Alexa doesn't work most of the times. I think she got pissed with my kids constantly telling her to self destruct.

There's this weird nose - I call it the surround sound. Sometimes it comes from the driver side A pillar, next passenger side and then back and comes a full circle. Doesn't comeuppance during city runs and comes up during highway runs and that too on random accessions. I suspect its to do something with the tweeter. But since I'm not abler to reproduce it consistently, leaving it aside for now.

Other than that no rattles, no leakages, no mechanical problems. Suspension, braking and general handling has remained consistent.

On the cosmetic part , the seats are extremely challenging to maintain and is already showing dust/dirt accumulation. I tried cleaning it a couple of times and it was like washing an elephant. My hands were tired. So I guess I would have to give it to a detailing centre for just the seats cleaning. Any recommendations for a detailing centre. Btw I do my own wash routine for the outside of the car and is not holding up good with no major swirl marks till date.

It also helps now that the car has a cover car park and is almost always under wraps.

And so the pleasure of owning and driving the XUV continues.

I'll find time over this weekend to test drive the Scorpio N and report my findings/comparison.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 00:57   #228
BHPian

Wow man. Brilliant writeup. Fantastic video
fazalmirza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 10:40   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by

[B
Dashcam Setup[/b]

After deliberating for almost 6 months, bought the 70mai Pro Plus+ A500S Dual Channel Car Dash Cam. I wanted to film the installation to show you guys and was hoping I can complete in 30 mins. Uh ! No. It took me under 10 minutes !! I setup the Timelapse for every 30 seconds and here is the video output. Feels like a lightening setup. Eh ?

First of all, thanks for such a beautiful thread. Gaining lots of knowledge about XUV 700 which are not readily available otherwise. I drive AX5 P MT and would love to add dashcam for my LightFury. I have couple of queries regarding Dashcam:
1. AX5 P MT has only one USB 2.0 port under the infortainment system. Will 70mai Pro Plus+ A500S Dual Channel Car Dash Cam run through this port?
2. Will the service centre guys help to install the cam, specially with concealed wiring?
3. Is the cable of front WS cam long enough to reach mid row charging port near AC vent?

Thanks in advance.

And one more thing...your sense of humour is admirable..
Soumya21me is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 12:10   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumya21me View Post
F
1. AX5 P MT has only one USB 2.0 port under the infortainment system. Will 70mai Pro Plus+ A500S Dual Channel Car Dash Cam run through this port?
2. Will the service centre guys help to install the cam, specially with concealed wiring?
3. Is the cable of front WS cam long enough to reach mid row charging port near AC vent?

Thanks in advance.

And one more thing...your sense of humour is admirable..
1 - If the setup needs just one USB, sure yes. However we often need to charge our phones/devices while driving and having that one source blocked for dash cam may not be ideal. At least for me.
2 - Umm ! Depends on the level of rapport you have. But trust me, it was a lot easier than I originally thought. Just have the prying plastic tool and you are all set.
3 - It is long enough to connect to a car behind. Jokes apart, It was more than enough, as you could see in my photos/videos.

And guys here is some update, after a long time. As I had indicated, my driving has come down drastically and there's hardly anything to report. Add to that, the new environment, there's radio silence.

Anyway, finally I managed to dent the car. This time, it's mine and my fault alone. While reversing, didn't notice a protruding AD board from the footpath. I was solely relaying on the reverse cam and didn't notice this on the left mirror. Lesson learnt - Always use all mirrors to backup and don't rely just on the reverse camera. CIA Coimbatore asked 12K to fix this dent. Assured me on colour match.

Red Rage - Mahindra XUV7OO - Initial Ownership Review-img_1720.jpegRed Rage - Mahindra XUV7OO - Initial Ownership Review-img_1721.jpegRed Rage - Mahindra XUV7OO - Initial Ownership Review-img_1722.jpeg

However I'm still undecided to get this done or not. The dent is not visible at all. The scratch has the bare metal exposed though. In the long run, it would enable rust formation. So thinking if I should get this fixed now or later. The longer I delay, there's this risk of not a perfect color match. But then some warranty claims may not be honoured if rust gets in. Being in Coimbatore there's less risk of rust, but you never know. Btw the car is almost always in a covered car park with it's dust cover on.

Either I pay 12K without involving insurance or I pay anywhere between 1k-2K with insurance, in which case I forgo my NCB and a potential increase in premium next renewal. And so fellas, what do you think. Should I get it tinkered and painted. And if yes, should I claim insurance or pay out of pocket.

The vehicle is at the service center to get a dozen or so updates, most importantly Apple Car Play.

I find the braking to be a lad bit off, the bite a little less than before. Not noticeable in city driving, but noticeable during highway runs. The bite is less and I get a feeling that the stopping distance is a tad more. While wear and tear may be attributing to this slight change, gave it to the service center to check anyways. Will report the findings once I get my vehicle back.

Next the steering feedback. Just like last time, but this time a lot less noticeable. I drive light handed. So much so, the almighty remarks that I handle the steering wheel as if it's a newborn. There's no pull in any direction and so the alignment is correct. However there's this slightly more steering feedback and at highway speeds, I have to hold the steering wheel a little tighter. Not the feature touch I used to. Perhaps it's a similar issue like last time or could well be that I'm hallucinating.

Will get the vehicle hopefully tomorrow and will update you fellas.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 17:39   #231
sbm
BHPian

So I have been reading about issues related to power loss and cars not starting on almost all cars on the forum and elsewhere, and finally, it happened to me today. My AX5 D-MT refused to start after I stopped to buy vegetables 5 kilometres from my office. It kept cranking and felt like there was no fuel reaching the engine. I tried twice in continuation, but it just kept cranking. I removed the key and left the car for two minutes, tried again, and it came back to life. I drove straight to my home and parked it in the garage right away. There, I tried twice again, and the car started with no issues.
Now, the car was parked in a tin shed for 8 hours, and I refilled my tank from my regular bunk a few days ago.
There were no error messages or signals on the instrument panel during or after this problem. The ASC mechanic says that they will check but can't do anything because the car is working fine now.
I have seen one more Bhpian facing such an issue, but that was a petrol car. Had anyone else faced a similar issue with their diesel car?
sbm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 10:08   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm View Post
I have seen one more Bhpian facing such an issue, but that was a petrol car. Had anyone else faced a similar issue with their diesel car?
Vehicle starting in the middle of the run was diagnosed to be a full tank/canister issue and was rectified by a new fuel tank design. This was specific to petrol engines. Not sure why or how a diesel would have this issue. I know I'm replying after what seems to be an eternity, hope the issue was identified and rectified.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 11:33   #233
BHPian

20K Update :

The Red Rage is just shy of the 20K mark and is due for its service. Considering the engine idling time, will send it out for service after the pongal holidays. The car nowadays is used for out of station trips and has taken us to some really nice places.

One such is Thirumurty dam. A great place to spend a day or two is Camp Splendour with a number of activities.

Coming to the experiences and driving update
  • Absolutely no niggles or issues of any sort. I'm mighty impressed with the vehicle holding up so well. Build quality is amazing with no rattles, no noises whatsoever anywhere. I meant physical...software is buggy, as expected. More on this in a while.
  • Ever since the fuel tank was replaced, the dreaded engine stalling hasn't occurred at all.
  • City FE is around 9 kmpl and highway is around 13kmpl.
  • Brakes have gone a little soft, which is normal considering the west and tear.
  • Apple CarPlay is buggy as hell. Frequent disconnections, laggy maps and whatnot. I have stopped using CarPlay altogether.
  • The other day, the whole infotainment system and the MID restarted on its own, while driving. It was a little annoying, having to loose your MID midway while you are driving. This happened for about an hour of driving and it probably would have restarted every 3 mins. Finally after restarting the car the system was back on. Thank goodness, I didn't have to tilt the vehicle 30% to restart
  • Sometimes the volume controls wouldn't work. Sometimes the screen would freezeup. I have lost count of the uniqueness of these software niggles. Nothing seem to be appear more than once in a month ! And every time it's a new one.
  • Handling the door handles at night continues to be a hassle.

I have a few anomalies that I need to report to Mahindra first and when I get a resolution as part of my 20K service. I shall update on those after the service.

Last edited by Mudhalaipatti : 16th January 2023 at 11:41.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 18:00   #234
BHPian

Mod note: Post trimmed for readability, avoid quoting entire large post for short replies and inconveniences mobile users. Thanks.
Quote:
20K Update :
=======
I have a few anomalies that I need to report to Mahindra first and when I get a resolution as part of my 20K service. I shall update on those after the service.

Glad to hear RedRage completing 20K.
I own an AX5 Petrol Manual. Thanks to your posts and experience, really helped me with a couple of issues like the canister and fuel tank part. Glad that CAI Industries Coimbatore helped me with a loaner (the same Marrazzo) and made sure everything was sorted out.

Look forward to your 20K service update and further. I heard the latest update on CarPlay was stopped due to some bugs. Please do update on it as well.

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th January 2023 at 18:25.
rudra_shiv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 09:31   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
20K Update :

One such is Thirumurty dam. A great place to spend a day or two is Camp Splendour with a number of activities.
Great to see the updates - sure you love going outdoors to the places not many go!

By the way there is a new update available for ICE that may reduce the ICE issues to a great extent. It is still not close to perfection for iOS users though. Give it a try - budget for 2 hours of update time apart from routine service.

By the way, how long the brake-pads are lasting on your car?
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 09:04   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Vehicle starting in the middle of the run was diagnosed to be a full tank/canister issue and was rectified by a new fuel tank design. This was specific to petrol engines. Not sure why or how a diesel would have this issue. I know I'm replying after what seems to be an eternity, hope the issue was identified and rectified.
Thanks to your detailed experience on how you overcome the EVAP issues. The moment I found my car stalled in the middle of the road it was your name and the post about EVAP crossed my mind.

I faced the very same issue a few kms just after the completion of the infamous canister recall. Fortunately, CAI Industries immediately came to the rescue and supported me by offering a Marazzo as a loaner.

Surprisingly for me, it was found that the Fuel Pump Relay was the culprit, and the very same was replaced under warranty.

Between any idea on the part number of your old fuel tank and the new one?
rudra_shiv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 19:16   #237
BHPian

Sorry to hear you are unable to use CarPlay! It’s a very good system to aid driving, leagues better than android auto. Do you think they’ll ever solve the crashes and niggles?
thirdmainroad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 23:25   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmainroad View Post
Sorry to hear you are unable to use CarPlay! It’s a very good system to aid driving, leagues better than android auto. Do you think they’ll ever solve the crashes and niggles?
It might take again couple of months to sort the issues
simpson678 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 18:11   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post

By the way, how long the brake-pads are lasting on your car?
I already am feeling the need to replace, it's around 20K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudra_shiv View Post
T

Surprisingly for me, it was found that the Fuel Pump Relay was the culprit, and the very same was replaced under warranty.

Between any idea on the part number of your old fuel tank and the new one?
I'm so sorry. I had pictures of the part numbers on my device. The almighty while clearing out for space had deleted these are unnecessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmainroad View Post
Please see below updates.

The vehicle has returned from the 3rd free service. Here is the bill for the 3rd service.

Name:  CAI AUTO INDUSTRIES PVT LTD.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  79.3 KB

I had the following things to attend to and the A$$ provided the following response

1 - Buggy CarPlay and other random software issues.
Response - New Software Updates available. Flashed.

Here is the new S/W version available as of yesterday.

Red Rage - Mahindra XUV7OO - Initial Ownership Review-img_2298.jpeg
Red Rage - Mahindra XUV7OO - Initial Ownership Review-img_2299.jpeg

I haven't grown the willpower to re-engage Airplay. Not as yet. Will let it pass for a few days and update you guys on CarPlay.

2 - Soft Brakes
Response - A$$ indicated that the brakes are good for another 5K and if I need to change it in-between, let them know. I'm planning to change them in the next 500 Km.

3 - The sunroof rubber cladding had these weird bite marks. Red Rage is always in a covered car park, with the white cover on. And it needs a special capability to climb up and bite off these. I checked the under body and engine bay and there were no signs of other bite marks. Asked the A$$ if this is bad enough to warrant a replacement.

Red Rage - Mahindra XUV7OO - Initial Ownership Review-img_2295.jpg

Sorry don't have pictures of the other places, too tired to climb up and click on three sides. There are more than 3 places where there's bite

Response - It is a mice attack. (So not as big as a problem eh) and probably it's practising biting off a larger chunk when it grows up. They checked the engine bay as well and confirmed that the mice was uninterested in the rest of the places. Quote for changing the full beading was around 10K and an advance of 5K was asked to place the order. 10K appears to be steep. Also I don't want water seepage and make the XUV look like a highway motel.

And so the wait continues for the part to arrive.

That's pretty much it guys. The ride has been great so far with no major issues or niggles to report.

And by the way - learnt a way to clear out any alerts that stay, for example if the service centre didn't clear out the "Service Due" alert, you can do that yourself.

Do you see this button. When the vehicle is switched off, press this button down and keep holding it and switch on the vehicle. (need not a full engine start. just a button press to bring the MID alive is enough).

Red Rage - Mahindra XUV7OO - Initial Ownership Review-img_2296.jpg

Keep the button pressed until you see the ODO and RPM meter dials goes full and comes back to its 0 position. Just as the dial is coming back, release the button. You may need a few tries before you get it right. The button release at the right time, i.e when the ODO/RPM meter dials are beginning to make the counter clockwise motion.

Other observations - As the flashing had removed every setting (including Bluetooth connections) my driver assistance settings etc, the vehicle came with the collision warning on. I had a run-in with a two wheeler last week and the almighty, after learning that there's this audible warning and automatic braking, had ordered me to keep it on - to save lives. And so I have it turned on now and there's a marked improvement. (I'm not cursing the motorist, but cussing under breath at the automatic braking) Earlier it used to brake in an un-indian way. Now it's a lot more refined, whilst it may still be unusuable in city driving conditions, in highways it's proving to be useful and have started liking it. Will report in a month's time if I continue to have it on or not.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 20:31   #240
BHPian

Quote:
3 - The sunroof rubber cladding had these weird bite marks.
This happened to me on my WRV recently. I was driving back from Kerala to Chennai, and when I was driving next to the Cauvery, I got caught in a sudden cloud burst. It was insane rain, and I had water dripping through the doors right to the pedals. I freaked out, to put it lightly. I didn’t want to stop being right next to the Cauvery, worried the river would swell, and yet had water dripping everywhere.

Once I came back to Chennai safely - the downpour lasted but a little while, I got everything checked and it came to pass that rats had bitten not only the padding of my sun roof but also some wires. Cost me some 15 k to get pads and wiring replaced.

I’ve since been applying 3Ms rodent repellent diligently every 3 months on all my vehicles engine bay and wheel arches, and haven’t faced the issue after.

Note 3Ms rodent repellent costs 50% less on Amazon.

I’d get the padding changed if I were you and take rodent repellent measures!

Do try Car play. If you like music, use google maps for navigation, it’s really fantastic!
thirdmainroad is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks