Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2022, 16:01   #166
BHPian

Re: Red Rage - Mahindra XUV7OO - Initial Ownership Review

I was under the impression that recent more advanced engines don't need the idling time before we floor the pedal. Checkout the XUV700 P MT engine rev at a higher rpm of around 1200 for around a minute and half, before setting at around 800 rpm.

Is this to do with the engine requiring that higher rpm to reach it's ideal operating conditions. Does this mean then that the XUV700 requires a minute (or at least till the needle settles), before we move the vehicle ?

This happens only on cold start, i.e vehicle being started after an overnight rest.

Also, this vehicle has some interesting heat dynamics. The first thing in the cabin that's get heated up, when parked in the sun, is the USB drive. Man every time I take out my car, after being in the sun, the USB fails to be read. When it take it out, the drive feels hot. Holding it my hand for a few seconds dissipates the heat and after I plug it in, the USB is readable again. How in the world, a tiny USB drive, tucked inside the cabin gets so much of heat, especially when the vehicle is at rest is beyond me !

Last edited by Mudhalaipatti : 15th March 2022 at 16:12.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 21:55   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
I was under the impression that recent more advanced engines don't need the idling time before we floor the pedal.
Not at all. You need to let the engine idle atleast for a minute before moving off, let alone floor the pedal.

The oil circulation and engine temperature need to reach optimum levels before we can run the engine at higher rpms.

I usually idle it for 2 minutes and then switch on the AC and start moving. This, only in the mornings at times of cold start.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 19:45   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was under the impression that recent more advanced engines don't need the idling time before we floor the pedal. Checkout the XUV700 P MT engine rev at a higher rpm of around 1200 for around a minute and half, before setting at around 800 rpm.

Is this to do with the engine requiring that higher rpm to reach it's ideal operating conditions. Does this mean then that the XUV700 requires a minute (or at least till the needle settles), before we move the vehicle ?

This happens only on cold start, i.e vehicle being started after an overnight rest.
As far as I know, the reason for the higher rpm on a cold start for a petrol engine is to get the catalytic convertors to operating temperature at the earliest so they do their work.
Actually, I don't think you need to idle the engine on a cold start. Instead, driving the car as soon as you fire up the engine, in low revs will get the engine into operating temperature much quicker with lesser wear and tear.
If you have a OBD dongle or digital temp gauge on you XUV700's screens, you can notice the difference in how much quicker the coolant temp rises when driving when compared to idling it. With synthetic oil, I doubt if you need to wait for the oil to circulate to start driving as well.

Last edited by tharian : 23rd March 2022 at 19:48.
tharian is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 20:49   #169
BHPian

Quote:

https://Youtu.be/yAM1SFOutZ4

Also, this vehicle has some interesting heat dynamics. The first thing in the cabin that's get heated up, when parked in the sun, is the USB drive. Man every time I take out my car, after being in the sun, the USB fails to be read. When it take it out, the drive feels hot. Holding it my hand for a few seconds dissipates the heat and after I plug it in, the USB is readable again. How in the world, a tiny USB drive, tucked inside the cabin gets so much of heat, especially when the vehicle is at rest is beyond me !
Not for a petrol engine in general. Yes, even today, a Diesel engine still needs idling (not mandatory though). This is due to the differences in their fuel compression ratios. However, in your case, I would probably give it to the turbo oil circulation and spooling to get in synch with the engine rpm and probably to reach the operating temperature of engine lubricants since this is a high power engine. Unsure about the USB heating issue though.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 10:00   #170
BHPian

Update on the EVAP issue

I had filled petrol, exactly the same way I used to, for 3 times since the first EVAP issue came up. And the problem has not reoccured since. Mahindra indicated that they had changed the canister and the purge valve. All well and good. So far !!!

I had filled petrol day before yesterday. As usual, right up to auto cutoff. Not a drop more. Filled fuel is 46.5 litres. Filled petrol, after driving 8km from the "low fuel" warning sign. Drove for around 50 km since filling fuel. Took out the vehicle this morning and there's this familiar(or infamous) non linear power delivery, brake a little sluggish. uh!!!. I'm driving extra cautious, least there's engine power loss. But there's no petrol leaking smell in the cabin and the engine didn't give away while driving for 20 odd km.

I reach home, park the car and while putting on the vehicle cover, I smell petrol. Guess where ? Same place. Wheel well. Yes. It appears that the dreaded EVAP issue resurfaced and petrol started leaking. While the wheel well was not drenching wet, it was at one point during the drive. Since I was mostly driving, not parked, couldn't smell the leaking petrol in the cabin.

Also this appears to have occurred as soon as I started the vehicle this morning. Which is kind of strange, especially after we discussed the possibility of extreme pressure building up in the tank, owing to a potentially faulty purge value and when it eventually opened, everything including the fuel got sucked in to the canister. This time the running time could probably been around 5 minutes, before I could notice the non linear power delivery. Of the 5 minutes, the vehicle was idling for a good 3 minutes and 2 minutes of actual driving.

I'm not bothering to report this to Mahindra, as I'm now convinced that Mahindra is trying to sweep this under the carpet, in fact turning it around, blaming the customers for filling petrol up to the brim.

Clutch Pedal Noise
And check out this video below, of the clutch play. Do you hear that "screetch", "screetch" sound while pressing and releasing the clutch ? Never had this problem with my XUV500. The clutch does feel heavy these 100 odd kms I have driven. Odo now reads 6500km. The smooth clutch play has definitely deteriorated over time. Has anyone experienced this issue so far ? I'm not a clutch heavy person. Having said that, I drive mostly in city traffic.

Last edited by Mudhalaipatti : 28th March 2022 at 10:28.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 10:36   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Update on the EVAP issue

I'm not bothering to report this to Mahindra, as I'm now convinced that Mahindra is trying to sweep this under the carpet, in fact turning it around, blaming the customers for filling petrol up to the brim.

I can't imagine how much it suck to be in your place where a genuine (and seemingly quite serious) issue is probably not being given enough serious attention. But for the sake of everyone else, as well as yourself, I'd think that you should definitely report this back to the dealer/ASS as well as Mahindra.

I am "reporting" this last post of yours so that the mods can consider moving it to the frontpage - I think this is an important issue given the "fixes" havent fixed anything and sudden power loss on these advanced machines while running is no joke.

Last edited by Transmission : 28th March 2022 at 10:38.
Transmission is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 15:17   #172
BHPian

Update 2 on the EVAP issue.

Hot off the press - After being parked for nearly 6 hours, I take out the car at 2.30 p.m and the vehicle promptly switches off thrice between 2.30 and 2.45. The last one occurs just as I am merging on to the highway.

I’m beyond bummed by this. Call up Mahindra and are picking up the vehicle, while I drive a loaner again !!!!!

I will report back the findings, after I get my vehicle back.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 11:24   #173
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pta320 View Post
I am yet to come across any series of problems or issues in Innova Crysta
Link to Innova Crysta niggles when new. These days, I don't think any manufacturer is immune from teething issues in their freshly launched cars, although I will agree that it's a bit more severe with Tata, Mahindra & German brands like Mercedes.

Quote:
I'm going to ping some people at Mahindra who I know. Hope it helps in a speedy resolution for you.

Last edited by GTO : 30th March 2022 at 09:01. Reason: typo
GTO is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 13:52   #174
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:

Hot off the press - After being parked for nearly 6 hours, I take out the car at 2.30 p.m and the vehicle promptly switches off thrice between 2.30 and 2.45. The last one occurs just as I am merging on to the highway.

I’m beyond bummed by this. Call up Mahindra and are picking up the vehicle, while I drive a loaner again !!!!!

I will report back the findings, after I get my vehicle back.
raise and stink and ask to be connected to some technical person at M&M (not the dealership). This is some basic issue, and the usual 'replace under warranty' of the charcoal canister is not going to solve it, unless the issue is root caused first. The charcoal canister is not the issue, something else is. I hope GTO and other moderators keep a separate thread for this topic (because the A.S.S has not 'fixed' anything with their 'fix') and raise media attention. THIS HAS TO GET INVESTIGATED BY FACTORY ENGINEERS, and not by a service technician who knows how to operate the OBD port and take the car apart.

Unless proven otherwise, I will stick to my theory of poor quality 'vent valve' that is stuck closed and not getting opened once vehicle is switched off. Probably some relay or solenoid that refuses to return to mean position after it's power is cut off.

Last edited by venkyhere : 29th March 2022 at 13:56.
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 15:11   #175
Senior - BHPian

Feeling extremely concerned for the OP. This is an issue which is as serious can it get. In addition to the stalling problem, petrol leakage can be extremely risky as a fire hazard in hot climate. The car should be handed back to Mahindra and ask for a fool proof resolution or replacement.

Looks like there is serious pressure build up inside the petrol tank and the entire fuel system is malfunctioning due to this. This should be moved to a new thread with an appropriate title indicating the seriousness of the issue.

Last edited by poloman : 29th March 2022 at 15:14.
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 15:14   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Clutch Pedal Noise
And check out this video below, of the clutch play. Do you hear that "screetch", "screetch" sound while pressing and releasing the clutch ? Never had this problem with my XUV500. The clutch does feel heavy these 100 odd kms I have driven. Odo now reads 6500km. The smooth clutch play has definitely deteriorated over time. Has anyone experienced this issue so far ? I'm not a clutch heavy person. Having said that, I drive mostly in city traffic.

If the clutch feel has deteriorated or gotten heavier, I would strongly suggest getting the clutch master cylinder examined. If the cylinder fails completely, the pedal will sink to the floor and leave you stranded. This noise seems to be from the clutch master cylinder too.
vishy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 10:13   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That ain't right. You've put in almost 20 big ones on this all new Mahindra. No; you can't let them brush this under a carpet. I find it rather puzzling that something as basic as a evap canister is throwing a fit and causing all sorts of engine problems for you. If its defective, then it needs to go back to the drawing board and they need to rectify the problem. The excuse on filling gas to the brim is lame. Half our cab drivers probably do this and don't run into any problems.

You need to push Mahindra for a solution.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 14:06   #178
BHPian

The auto cut-off float valve in the petrol tank and the valve( EVAP canister) are at almost same level. This may have been done to show larger tank volume. This might be a problem for every xuv700.
Sran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 14:19   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't let it go so easily. You have paid a lot of money for your vehicle, and have every right to light a fire under their you-know-where. If you haven't already done it, I would suggest writing a stinker to this person, with a link to this thread. When my Scorpio had a few issues (long back), I had got quick responses by using this channel. Of course, it was a different individual, but the escalation process was same. Info taken from https://auto.mahindra.com/mahindra-vehicle-faqs

Red Rage - Mahindra XUV7OO - Initial Ownership Review-mmcc.jpg

Also include gupta dot sanjoy at mahindra dot com in your communication. He was the person I had interacted with in 2010, and has since become Head of Customer Care for Mahindra Automotive (according to his LinkedIn profile). If not Abdul Syed, hopefully at least he will take notice of the issues you are facing.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 30th March 2022 at 14:21.
comfortablynumb is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 14:50   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Update on the EVAP issue
Also this appears to have occurred as soon as I started the vehicle this morning. Which is kind of strange, especially after we discussed the possibility of extreme pressure building up in the tank, owing to a potentially faulty purge value and when it eventually opened, everything including the fuel got sucked in to the canister. This time the running time could probably been around 5 minutes, before I could notice the non linear power delivery. Of the 5 minutes, the vehicle was idling for a good 3 minutes and 2 minutes of actual driving.
I could closely relate the above issue to the issue I faced on my RE Thunderbird 500. Engine was stalling abruptly and I had to open up the fuel tank cap to relieve the pressure built-up inside the tank. When the Fuel cap is opened, I could visibly hear a burst of pressure being let out. Having reported this issue multiple times to the Service team, and cleaning the breather holes in the cap never resolved the issue. RE never had a solution on hand because this was rampant on all BS4 version of their product line. The same story of avoiding fuel fill-up to the max was suggested by them.

Finally, I was advised by a Mechanic of a small workshop to just slit the seal in the Fuel cap 'just a bit' which will act as a constant pressure reliever. It worked pretty well till date.

Not that you can apply the same solution to XUV 700, but it is something you cannot live with either .

Cheers !!
Rolling_Stock is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks