Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2021, 18:21   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Red Rage - Mahindra XUV7OO - Initial Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Sorry to read about these episodes. This behaviour is definitely not specific to Trichy, as you will see if you go through some of the posts on the vandalism thread. It's just a sad reflection of the times we live in.
More than 20 years ago, when Tata launched Indica and started lottery system by paying INR 10k, my uncle hit luck and got his in the first or second lot. A month or so after that we all had gathered for a cousins marriage in Pune (Deccan of all the places) and his Indica was a talking point.
After the marriage ceremony got over, him and a few curious relatives went to check his car, a prized possession back then. And guess what?

A deep scratch across the length of the car starting from headlamp, ending all the way to tail lamps. The scratch was so deep on doors that the panel caved in and scratch turned into a shallow, really long dent. The vandal had taken effort to make deepest scratch and continued it across panels. Possibly done with a key.

I have never seen such hideous, deliberate and infuriating vandalism attempt. We could see tears in my uncle's eyes. His Indica was the only one that got scratched among many cars parked ahead and behind.

I am 100% sure it was done out of pure envy and the mentality to destroy because "If I can't have it, no one should".
amol4184 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 18:23   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
What's with our people

Almost all big vehicles in my town have a political flag and chauffeured. And most importantly they are the rashest in driving. But a common man, fearing repercussions is usually silent to the treatment meted out to him on the roads. and even if he wants to scratch a vehicle, it's always parked in a safe area with the driver around. [/i]
ouch! that hurts. The solution probably lies within the narration of your predicament. Why not get 2 bicolored flags (not necessarily affiliated to any party) and paste them on the rear glass and the front windshield? I'd imagine the bus driver or the person who scratched your car may have just reconsidered their thoughts if they noted your (alleged) proximity to power.

Now, that's not to suggest its ok to drive rash or put anyone at risk or even to infringe on any trademarks or IP. Just a random thought.
Akmal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 18:30   #108
BHPian

Truly sorry about your tribulations. And I know this is besides the point, but do you think if your vehicle had been in White or Silver aka one of those imposing colors driven by important people, a few of those scratches wouldn't have happened?
barefeetdriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 20:04   #109
BHPian

Thank you all for your comforting words. I think, I have to come to peace with the driving in India.

Just yesterday as well, an auto managed on the XUVs back, when I came to a slow stop at a intersection. More scratches getting added every day.

Conformation Bias - Yesterday, after this auto incident, was driving down the same highway and a BMW X5 is coming in from behind. I'm overtaking a Indigo taxi and after a while the BMW overtakes me as well. Remember the ordeal I mentioned about me stopping at a barricade and an Alto swiping me from left. At the exact same spot, only this time there's not a stop and go traffic, its slow. The X5 is cruising and the indigo is behind me now. But as soon as the approach is visible, the Indigo accelerates ahead of me, overtakes me and overtakes the X5 from the left, just a few inches ahead of the X5. I see the X5 slamming the brakes to avoid a run-in.

I don't know where this class divide is going to lead us in to. I strongly believe that there's a deep rooted anger somewhere which is getting manifested during driving and shows up in these instances of vandalism.

Anyway, I plan to put on this ticket on the back of the car.

Red Rage - Mahindra XUV7OO - Initial Ownership Review-img_0620.jpeg

I had been talking to the SA at my dealership about installing a SD card for recoding and he indicated that they installed on the demo vehicle and asked me to come in.

I drive all the way to the other end of the city and they open up the A pillar to let me know that there's no provision to install a memory card. What the ....Mahindra, please let me know the technicians are trained to handle a XUV700 or at least trained to know the features in a car. This is hugely disappointing. My confidence that the dealer can work on my car is rather feeble.

Has any AX7 Petrol MT owners installed a memory card to record the journey ?

Also any recommendations for dash cams ? I'm looking for front & back and Parking mode features.

I have been filling fuel at random stations so far and my FE has been hovering around 10 kmpl. Last time I filled at a company owned and operated station and the MID jumped to 13kmpl and is not settling at around 11, which is strange and good. I'll confirm once I calculate using the tank fill method.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 20:10   #110
Senior - BHPian

Surprising to see the number of scratches, if you are okay, then do remove all the decorations like ribbon and plastic wrapping as soon as possible. This might take some attention away from the car.

Belated wishes for your ride.

Last edited by giri1.8 : 23rd December 2021 at 20:11.
giri1.8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 20:47   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
[b]
Now I'm seriously thinking of selling off this car and getting a smaller car for my commute. I can't bear to see these acts of vandalism on this beautiful piece of art anymore !!!!
I am from Trichy too.

I have driven in Coimbatore, Chennai and Pune extensively. While the traffic density in the above 3 cities is much higher, Trichy beats them all in pure chaos that the traffic is inside the city. No one cares for anything.

My dashcam picks atleast 5 instances of stupid driving everyday. And I drive inside the city twice everyday.

All being said, none of my primary cars have ever had a single scratch here. Be it my cycus Grey Safari dicor or metallic brown ciaz or pearl white storme or red altroz or Kwid, not one car had/has any scratches over the last decade.

And as I just discovered that the lovely red XUV7OO that I was ogling here in Trichy belongs to you. Here are my tips to remain scratch free in Trichy :

1. Never park in congested open roads. Sastri road is fine, but Thillai Nagar is a big NO. Even if you find wide roads, try parking in the cross roads. Don't even think about driving the XUV to NSB road, teppakulam, Palakarai or market

2. Be very very patient driving inside city. 2 wheelers don't care how big a car is approaching, nor do the pedestrians. They would just cross your path like idiots. Autorickshaws are worse.

3. It's better to stick to a lane and not switch lanes inside trichy (specially ER high-school - anna salai- Karur bye pass - Thillai nagar). Government buses won't check their rear view mirrors at all, private buses might check, but don't care to slow down for you to drive in your rightful way.

4. Stay away from all college buses. They are maniacs.
PS : that red colour has tremendous road presence. Vandalism risks are much higher with that shade. I always have that fear when ever I park my red altroz in Trichy roads.

Another way to be at peace with Trichy driving is to be another bully to those who bully you. It might not work for everyone and it isn't sensible too. But I must admit I have put many idiots in their places just by doing what they do. Not proud of it, but hey, I am just a human.

Regarding fuel, I recommend the BP bunk opposite Oxina Suzuki in annamalai Nagar. I always refill all my petrol/diesel cars there.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 23rd December 2021 at 20:55.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 01:51   #112
BHPian

Quote:
What's with our people

I wanted to brush off certain things as "Driving Hazards", but when it's repetitive, it tends to establish a pattern.
Whoops.that is painful to happen to a brand new car. Install foot boards on both sides. Apart from helping with ingress and egress, they will help to keep some distance between other cars and yours.
PowerSpike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 10:25   #113
BHPian

Mod note: Please avoid Quoting entire large post for short replies. Thanks.

Quote:
I had been talking to the SA at my dealership about installing a SD card for recoding and he indicated that they installed on the demo vehicle and asked me to come in.
=======
Also any recommendations for dash cams ? I'm looking for front & back and Parking mode features.
The video recording is only available on the AX7 Luxury Pack not on the regular AX7.

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th December 2021 at 11:21. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Thanks.
Old 25th December 2021, 00:45   #114
BHPian

Quote:
What's with our people

I wanted to brush off certain things as "Driving Hazards", but when it's repetitive, it tends to establish a pattern. [/i]
People have the most toxic levels of envy for others' fortunes. The kind of behaviour you describe is common in a place like Delhi as well. My dad used to drive our grey SX4 and under his care, the car got deep scratches, damage to both bumpers to the point of getting them replaced with matte black bumpers, damage to the front replaced bumper, and damage to the side view mirror by a drunk scooter rider who slammed into our car.

Almost none of these were his fault, but our poor SX4 bears every single one of those marks. Now it's under my care, and it doesn't seem like an attractive target anymore. Something about a car that looks like a beater that makes it invisible.

I really empathize what you're going through, especially when it's such a beautiful car. Envy is a very disgusting emotion and I wish people here could rise above these low petty behaviours.
BrabarusMark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2021, 09:14   #115
BHPian

Quote:

Sorry to hear about the scratches on your car. It sucks. Unfortunately this is what we have to deal with.

Coming to the dashcam, couple of us who have booked the XUV700 had shortlisted these.

1. DDPAI Z40

2. 70mai pro plus

Hope this helps.
Avinash_R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2021, 19:46   #116
BHPian

Quote:
What's with our people

Now I'm seriously thinking of selling off this car and getting a smaller car for my commute. I can't bear to see these acts of vandalism on this beautiful piece of art anymore !!!!

PS : I'm not posting any pics of these scratches, as I just can't bear to look at them on my devices.
I believe you're right in thinking that people just wanna hurt a brand new beautiful car in an already suicidal driving country like India. I'll tell you something a friend told me when I was worrying too much about my brand new Marazzo getting scratched. She's the first car I've bought after becoming an officer in the merchant Navy. I had fixed a bumper corner protecter set bought from m2all and was showing them off to a friend.
He told me this. "Don't get too bothered thinking of getting the car scratched. Just think of it as an eventuality which may happen sooner or later. Don't get too attached with it. You'll only hurt yourself when something happens to it. It's only metal and plastic. You can replace the plastic and straighten the metal with a hammer. So don't get too worried about damages"
I know it's easy to tell you this than having to deal with the scratches but i took this mantra to my heart and I've been okay. We have had only one scratch yet though (self inflicted), thanks to God.
Joscyriac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 09:54   #117
BHPian

Felt very sorry to read about scratches on your brand new 700.

In India, this is bound to happen sometime or other, where in a two lane road people create third row without any regard for law abiding other drivers.

But it hurts first few times when it happens.

Later on it becomes part of car's life if i may say so.

So though you may feel pain first time, it is better to get over that feeling as soon as possible & carry on.

Also don't ever think of selling this prized beauty because of few scratches.

One gets used to it. Time is the best healer.
Old 28th December 2021, 17:36   #118
BHPian

So sorry for the way morons are treating your prized possession, Really Uncool!

From personal experience, I know it really hurts when your new car gets scratches. But if you love your car, make peace with it and don't sell this beast as right now its one of the best options available!

I too have booked a red rage XUV700 and am a ted worried of scratches - on a lighter not can we get paint scratch protection insurance ? Also things may be a bit better in Mumbai, so fingers crossed!
Old 31st December 2021, 15:30   #119

Had booked AX5 under price protection (7th Oct) and was given May 2022 as tentative delivery month - which was fine for me since it bought me time to save some more money. Today suddenly I received a call from sales executive stating that the model was “suddenly” available and allotted to me, and an RTGS payment was requested to register the vehicle on my name. I informed the SE that I was OK waiting for the vehicle till May, but was shocked to hear SE’s response that if I don’t agree to register the vehicle today, my current booking will be canceled, and a new booking will have to be generated (which will NOT BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE PRICE-PROTECTION). Clearly an arm twisting tactic to meet sales targets. Have escalated with the dealership - let's see how they respond. This is AMPL dealership in Thoraipakkam, Chennai.
Old 31st December 2021, 16:38   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you all for your comforting words. I think, I have to come to peace with the driving in India.
My 2005 Indica DLX had a 5mm deep (yes, I measured) scratch right under the driver side door handle. That was my first-ish car, and I wept blood.

I've gone through 5 cars since then. And in addition to what @PrasannaDhana has said, I've made it a point to invest in PPF. Case in point - my 2020 Thar, fully clad in PPF, had enough scratches on the front fender - TOP side at that - that there is no way it was an accident, this was when the jeep was parked in public space for 2 to 3 hours. All that was needed was removing the damaged section of PPF, polishing it and getting a new PPF sheet for that fender. No permanent damage.

Don't give up coz of the eventualities, thrive in spite of them
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks