Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2022, 15:51   #136
BHPian

Re: My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikpillai View Post
Great review and posts ! I’m getting my Petrol Model S next week week. Has anyone gone for the 3 years maintenance/service package for the Petrol model ? Any suggestions if I need to get it ?!
I haven't explored it, you can opt for extended warranty instead.
Old 29th December 2022, 15:03   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikpillai View Post
Great review and posts ! I’m getting my Petrol Model S next week week. Has anyone gone for the 3 years maintenance/service package for the Petrol model ? Any suggestions if I need to get it ?!
How much are they charging for the package? A typical service costs around 12-15k per year per 15k kms. So anything above INR 30-35k for a 3 year package will not make much sense.
Old 29th December 2022, 16:03   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
How much are they charging for the package? A typical service costs around 12-15k per year per 15k kms. So anything above INR 30-35k for a 3 year package will not make much sense.
They’ve got a 3 year 45k package for Rs31k for the Petrol variant.
karthikpillai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 18:06   #139
BHPian

Re-learning to drive in manual mode in petrol DCT!

Since my last car was a manual (Maruti SX4), I had the itch to try out manual mode (also to see if that gives a better mileage) in my Jeep Compass automatic. However, when I changed from SX4 to Jeep some 6-7 months back and tried to drive in manual mode, my left leg was kind of 'automatically' stretching out (to nowhere) while trying to change the gear. Moreover, the gear stick arrangement was quite different than a regular manual - to shift up, you need to pull the gear inward, and vice versa, which that time to me was awkward. Given the risk of focusing on the gear change instead of the road, I gave up that time.

6-7 months have passed. Re-tried doing it, and now it was quite easy. My left leg kept resting, and the shifting slowly is becoming second nature. A few observations -

1. If you are changing from a manual to automatic, and want to try out the 'new' manual mode in the automatic car, give yourself sometime to unlearn the traditional manual gear stick arrangement and left leg movement.

2. Compass DCT downshifts automatically, so you only need to worry about upshifting. The only time I had to downshift was from 2nd to 1st while climbing up a slope.

3. Note the RPM (engine sound) which would give the first clue on when to shift to a higher gear. You need to get used to this (same as in a traditional manual car) rather than every time look at the instrument cluster on suggestion for upshifting (Compass provides this facility, and I guess all other cars do this). Downshift, as I said above anyway, is automatic.

4. Try out on long lonely stretches first, preferably with a few speed breakers, to get a hang of it, before jumping on to mainstream traffic.

And yes, thanks to @Jeroen for pointing out in one of the threads on the need to once-a-while drive your automatic in manual mode to keep your car's transmission smooth and healthy for a relatively longer time, before it needs to get serviced or repaired.
car-go is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 20:30   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-go View Post
Re-learning to drive in manual mode in petrol DCT!

Since my last car was a manual (Maruti SX4), I had the itch to try out manual mode (also to see if that gives a better mileage) in my Jeep .
Did you observe change in mileage?
Old 5th January 2023, 07:47   #141
BHPian

Great review Sharan. Many thanks. The review helped me firm up on the compass and I went ahead and booked a Compass Limited (O) in white and black yesterday. Expected delivery in 10 days since vehicle is already available. From your experience which service center do you find good, or the one you are going to?
My car booking was very chaotic, I sold my XL6 late november 2022, thinking I will be going for a Hyryder. Somehow the hyryder did not gel with the family. Took a TD for the XUV700 and was blown away with the space, power and of course the price!! Since we needed a vehicle real quick, we started looking at sedan options, took TDs for Octavia, Slavia and Virtus. Reading your review got me thinking of the Compass, took a TD and made the booking the same day. Discounts and almost immediate delivery sealed the deal.
sparks4077 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 15:42   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharan_si View Post
Did you observe change in mileage?
Not very decisive yet; I have driven only a few kms as of now. When I checked the instant mileage, earlier it was kind of hovering between 7.8 to 8.2. Last few days of driving manual shows it to be 8.3 to 8.5. Don't know whether it is really an increase to consider, as of now.

Will update as I progress more.
car-go is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 20:23   #143
BHPian

Hi Saran,
Wishes for prosperous, healthy, mile crunching 2023.

I have a small enquiry to make about your bumper guards. They look great on your car. Where did you source them from? Any online option.
abhaumik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 22:23   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaumik View Post
Hi Saran,
Wishes for prosperous, healthy, mile crunching 2023.

I have a small enquiry to make about your bumper guards. They look great on your car. Where did you source them from? Any online option.
I got from local shop here, not able to find them online.
sharan_si is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 14:29   #145
BHPian

Update based on a trip with my Compass Sport AT:

We went to Mandarmoni, a beach in West Bengal, in the second week of Jan. We were four people (including one child). Total distance covered (to and fro) is 382km (185km going + 197km return). The average speed on highway stretches was around 80-90 kmph, with a few times touching 100 kmph. There are quite a few towns/ villages where we had to slow down, but not something that required considerable waiting/ stopping at a jam, except for tea or breakfast breaks. Following was the mileage I got -

Maximum achieved (instant mileage) - 17.4 kmph
Average for the whole trip - 15.8 kmph
Average for the first half of the trip (going) - 16.2 kmph

Car was very stable, with fantastic ride and handling for the entire trip. Drove thru the trip in AT mode only. Total run of my car till date is ~3950 km.

Last edited by car-go : 21st January 2023 at 14:30. Reason: typo
car-go is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 13:53   #146
BHPian

I am hearing there is a software update on the compass petrol AT that is enhancing the low end response of the engine. I am wondering if this is due to engine mapping or gearbox tuning. Any insight into this from the current users?

I am in the market to buy an SUV and my only grouse with an otherwise great car is the low end response. If the above is true it would be fantastic outcome for an already great car.
Old 22nd February 2023, 16:33   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by attrip2008 View Post
I am hearing there is a software update on the compass petrol AT that is enhancing the low end response of the engine. I am wondering if this is due to engine mapping or gearbox tuning. Any insight into this from the current users?

I am in the market to buy an SUV and my only grouse with an otherwise great car is the low end response. If the above is true it would be fantastic outcome for an already great car.
How did you get to know about SW update and when was it done?
Old 22nd February 2023, 18:16   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Sharan_si

It is mentioned in the compass review thread by a few users, specifically for Compass petrol at. Hence, I got curious.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5462598 (Jeep Compass : Official Review)
attrip2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 16:01   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Any idea about this? I doubt the news is true as no one from the Jeep service informed me on this but thought it's best to ask (what incase it's more of us asking rather than them calling all and informing). The low end is really irritating at times. I started filling XP95 petrol from Indian Oil as recommended by a friend but I think that would be noticeable only on highway runs.
Old 13th May 2023, 22:43   #150
BHPian

My second service (after 1 year from purchase) was done today. The total came to Rs.11439/- which included, among other line items in the invoice, changing the consumables (oils, filters, et al), wheel alignment and balancing (together ~1700; though it may cost less outside) and 3M care (~2700) which was explained to be done for couplers and other small parts.

Car has been running fine as of now, as usual. Have to yet check for mileage and pickup at low gear, in case they improved. Mileage before giving it for service has been more or less a consistent 9.4 kmpl, with majorly city driving.

Two days back I accidentally too the car over a sidewalk while taking a sharp turn and the very end of plastic cladding underneath (near the rear left wheel arch) bent a bit and came off. During the service, it was fixed by the workshop.

Last edited by car-go : 13th May 2023 at 22:44. Reason: added text

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks