Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2021, 16:41   #1
BHPian

My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review

My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20220619_130201.jpg

Likes.
• Looks stunning, clean, and timeless design with no frills or quirkiness, will age well.
• 1.4 Multiair Petrol churns out 163 Bhp, plenty of power on tap, offers outright performance.
• Exceptional handling, sharp dynamics, strong brakes, and solid high-speed stability, Jeep Compass deserves a full 5 stars in this department.
• Solid build quality, strong chassis, built like a vault, follows the Jeep's legacy. Definitely a safe car.
• 7 Speed DCT is smooth and offers a comfortable city drive.
• New Re-designed interior layout is clean, feels premium, quality stuff inside out.
• Well-tuned suspension and EPS, steering is light in the city and weighs up well, and is accurate at high speeds.
• Plenty of safety features (ESP, Electronic Roll mitigation, Traction control, Rain Brake support … and many more).
• Respectable highway mileage.

Dislikes.
• 1.4 Multiair isn’t as frugal and powerful as 2.0 Multi-jet Diesel, Guzzles fuel if pushed hard unlike 2.0 Diesel, which offers consistent mileage.
• Compact size, less spacious in the segment.
• Missing features (No ADAS, blind spot monitor, etc.), looks bare minimal compared to XUV 7OO and MG.
• Small dealership and service network, most of the tier-2 cities don’t have service stations.
• 7 Speed DCT isn’t as fast and intelligent as 7 Speed DSG from VW.
• Premium pricing, it should be couple of lakhs cheaper than the current price.
• Few niggles and issues reported by existing customers.
• Confusing variant’s, no 4x2 Diesel AT, no cruise control in MT, only 2 Airbags in mid variant.

The new car:
Our duster crossed the 1 Lakh km and was doing good, I wanted Automatic for quite some time, Spinny offered a very good deal for the duster (around 45% of purchase value after 8+ years ), we sold the duster and started the hunt for a new car.

The requirement: Compact SUV/SUV, 4/5 star safety rating. It has to be Automatic and has to be either TC or DCT. A big NO for CVT.
DCT/DSG – Fast and Efficient. Will not miss Manual Gearbox but not reliable as the other 2 AT’s.
Torque Converter – Most reliable and practical AT.
CVT – No fun to drive, very slow shifts.

Cars considered:
Harrier Diesel AT, Seltos Diesel AT, MG Hector, VW Taigun 1.5 DSG, XUV 700, VW T-Roc and the Jeep Compass.

Harrier Diesel AT: Combination of Fiat’s 2 Litre Multijet with 6 Speed TC from the Hyundai is really good, much better than I expected it to be, it is Value for money with Lot of features and plenty of space inside, I found the steering to be very heavy and cumbersome for city use, and not well-tuned for highway either. Also, I am not very confident about the long-term reliability of the car, so dropped this option.

Seltos Diesel AT: Combination of 1.5 Diesel with 6 Speed TC is deadly, the best Torque converter-Diesel combo option out there in the segment, I would have bought this but felt it’s too expensive for a car in that segment (Around 4.5 Lakh more for AT over manual), also 3-star safety rating is disappointing, expected at least 4-star. With the 17 and 18-inch wheel option available in AT, the suspension is too stiff and difficult to manage (I was able to manage this with the 16-inch wheel in my Seltos) for city ride.

MG Hector: Lot of space inside with many features, it also gets same 2.0 Diesel from Fiat as Harrier and Jeep, but there is no Diesel AT on offer, Petrol Automatic is not impressive, Suspension is too soft, gives the feel of floating at high speed, Overall it’s not a car for the enthusiasts.

VW Taigun:
Test drove 1.5 DSG, 1.5 TSI is very powerful and 7 Speed DSG is lightning quick, its shift the gear in no time, it’s truly a performance car, with active cylinder technology it offers good mileage too. but space is too less, feels like bigger Polo, the rear seat is strictly for 2 adults, and a lot of cost-cutting done with localization, noise insulation is poor, I could hear a lot of road noise during the test drive, quality of plastic used in the interior doesn’t belong to the price segment.

XUV 7OO : Hot SUV in the market, I just didn’t consider since its freshly baked product from Mahindra, reliability is unknown, After knowing the number of Issues and niggles reported when XUV 500 was launched, its not confidence-inspiring.

VW T-Roc: No doubt it’s a good car and closest to JEEP in many aspects and better in a few areas, the only concern I had is it’s a CBU, getting parts will be difficult and time-consuming in case of major repair, well VW’s DQ200 is notorious for breakdowns.

My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211101_171019.jpg

My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211021_182931.jpg

Buying experience:

Bought it from KHT Prime, Bangalore. Overall buying experience was smooth, I took around 3 months before booking the car, most of the time dealt with the Sales Manager and branch head both were friendly (otherwise FCA's image is not great in handling customer)and techincally good answered most of the queries, they gave all the details and more test drives then I asked for, infact when I complained about diesel clutch being too hard, they serviced the vehicle and got again for TD. I just test drove diesel MT just to compare with petrol AT, as AT was the requirement, 9 speed TC in Diesel AT not impressive, it gives the feel that engine is not powerful and need to pay a hefty premium over diesel manual, Test drove Petrol AT around 5-6 times to test performance and mileage. both performance and mileage were satisfactory, I chose Longitude Petrol AT, Limted AT has few more features (Sunroof, leather seats etc) but all the safety and required features are present in Longitude and I generally avoid the sunroof and other cosmetic features. After booking, they informed me when the car was available and I did PDI, found no issue in the car gave the go-ahead for registration, I wasnt able to get a waiver for the handling charge but they reduced it by good amount, I got insurance and accessories outside.

My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211019_113028.jpg

Exterior:

Facelift model with slight changes to front design.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211110_143055__03__01__01.jpg

Classy 7 slot grill design.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211109_122011.jpg

Radiator grill.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211110_135647.jpg

Side profile with chrome line above the window.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211109_122824.jpg

Rear
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211109_121550.jpg

LED headlight with DRL
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211110_135836.jpg

JEEP Performance LED written inside.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211110_140258.jpg

Indicator on the Rearview mirrors
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211110_140316.jpg

Engine Bay.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211024_171340.jpg

Frame:

A strong unibody structure engineered with 70% hot-stamped steel (ultra high strength steel). 20+ parts are built using the ultra high strength steel.

My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20210920_135715.jpg

Diagonal hot stamped steel at the bottom of the door to protect from side impact.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20210920_135728.jpg

On the rear side.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20210920_135805.jpg

1.4 MultiAir Turbo:

My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211024_171345.jpg

1.4 MultiAir Turbo:

Developed by Fiat Powertrain Technologies, Multi air technology dynamically controls the Air intake Cylinder by cylinder stroke by stroke. A high-pressure oil chamber between the camshaft and intake value is managed by a solenoid valve connected to the electronic control unit. VVT/VVL too does the same but it controls mechanically, based on the selection of profile on the camshaft, So MultiAir offers precise control over the opening and duration of the airflow.
MultiAir can be fitted into existing engines, so 1.4 MultiAir is an improvement over the 1.4 T-Jet that’s found in FCA’s Abarth series.

Multiple strategies are used to optimize combustion efficiency, obtain optimal power, torque, Fuel Efficiency, and control the emission.

Operation modes:

Full Lift mode: Valves are fully opened, allowing maximum air-fuel mixture, used when full power is required, mostly when driving on highways.

LIVO: Late intake Valve opening used at engine startup and idling.

EIVC: At medium-low rpm torques and engine partial loads, Early intake Valve closing optimizes volume efficiency and reduces pumping losses, undesired backflow into the manifold is avoided.

Multi Lift: Used at Low loads, City driving, stop and go mode allows optimization of combustion control. Valves opened multiple times within a stroke.

Driving the 1.4 MultiAir Turbo:

1.4 MultiAir makes 163 hp @5500 rpm, 250 Nm @2500-4000 rpm.
With the brakes depressed, push the start button, engine comes to life with the slight hint of shake felt in the cabin, Engine idles at around 900 rpm, small amount of engine noise is heard inside but it’s very low, noise insulation is very good if you open the window you hear the engine sound.
City Driving:
As soon as you move the Gear out of P mode, you hear the sound of parking brakes getting automatically disengaged (only if seat belts are fastened) and it notifies the same on MID. Release the brakes car crawls at 7 kmph without the need of throttle input, it’s useful in the bumper-to-bumper traffic. Push the accelerator DCT shifts to 2nd gear somewhere after 12kmph, 1st gear ratio is extremely low, just used to move the car from a standstill. With light to moderate input to accelerator DCT shifts gear to 3rd at 25 kmph, 4 at 39 kmph, and 5 at 50-55 kmph, all these gear shifts happen around 2000 rpm, with DCT in D mode it doesn’t show the current gear in MID, need to shift to M mode to check the gear engaged. You can hardly notice the gear shifts unless you carefully observe it or look at the rpm meter, at times with full 5 adults and kids, you can notice the gear shifts (only the first 3 gears, remaining shifts are unnoticed). Overall gear shifts are smooth and effortless. In city DCT will be driving in 2/3 gears at times shift to 4 gear, upshift happen quickly as soon as to climb the speedometer, but at times it holds on the gear before downshifting when you are slowing down, I have observed DCT trying to move in 2nd gear below 10 kmph on an incline(half clutch), I had to shift to M mode and shift to 1st gear.
Most of the time with light input to the gas pedal, shifts happen around 2k rpms, at higher( 3 and above) gears RPM falls below or around 1500rpm, there is a huge lag at this rpm, the engine feels numb and struggles to pull, on other hands if you push bit, DCT shifts gear around 2300-2500 rpm, and rpm falls around 2k after shifts, engine has good power in this range.
DCT works best when it’s unhurried, it solves the purpose of automatic transmission in bumper-to-bumper traffic.
At times when you lift the foot from accelerator and gradually slow down the DCT downshifts when you hit the accelerator again, it doesn’t upshift immediately, it unnecessarily revs till 2500 or above rpm range and shifts up, this happens even with light foot.
If you apply brakes suddenly when you are moving at 40+ gearbox judders, it should be avoided in DCT, I switch to Neutral when I see I have braked fast and stop.
When you vary the speed quickly DCT gets confused and hunts a couple of seconds for the right gear before settling down onto the right gear.
Automatic start-stop system: This is quite useful for city drive as we end up waiting at signals or stuck traffic for long, as per a few experiments 1.5 liter NA engine will take as much fuel to start the engine as much it would consume during idling for 10 sec, so if you are stopping for more than 15 sec, it’s better to keep this feature on, well manual says to use this feature if you are stopping for more than 30 sec. There is a switch to control this feature below the touch screen.

When you come to a complete stop engine shuts off automatically, you need to keep the brake depressed, it starts the engine as soon as you lift the foot from the brake.
This feature won’t work for the below condition.
• If you were crawling below 7 kmph from the last stop and come to a complete stop.
• If you are traveling uphill.
• Seatbelt is not fastened.
• The AC is in MAX AC mode.
It re-starts the engine within a few seconds if Auto AC is on and the desired temperature is not achieved by the climate control system or it is in the manual AC mode and fan speed is set to 6 or 7 speed.

Driving on highway:

1.4 MultiAir comes to life on the highway, 163 Bhp on tap offers fast performance, DCT which feels underperformer in the city works quite well at high speed, the midrange is punchy, overtaking is effortless. You will mostly be on 5 to 7 gears on highways, it shifts to 7th gear around 88 to 95. The engine will be just under 2k rpm at 100 kmph, it is smooth and effortless to do 100, you can do 3 digit speeds all day without straining the engine, 120 comes around 2300 rpm, which is just below the peak torque rpm range. Push the gas pedal when the engine is in peak toque range, punchy midrange induces slight torque steer, especially on uneven roads, so you need to hold the steering firmly.
For quick overtaking, floor the gas pedal, it takes a second or 2 before reacting, DCT shifts gear down by 1 or 2, tachometer climbs all the way till 5500rpm + before shifting up, the car zooms through, mid-range is punchy and the engine pulls like the locomotive.

Stability of car at High speed is exceptional, be it pushing through the curves on highway or undulation of the roads ( small bumps at bridges), it hardly unsettles or gets wavy, body roll is minimal to non-existent., level of grip it offers is phenomenal. All 4-disc brakes work well, it comes to stop from 3-digit speed without a fuss. Apply breaks in emergency situation Army of electronic aids comes to support (Electronic Roll mitigation, ESP, Rain brake support), so breaking or maneuvering in an emergency situation should be safer.

when you climb the hill, in D mode DCT shifts up before you would want it to, so putting in M mode is better. climbing down is not a problem DCT holds on to gear till 3000+ rpm before up shifting, so you can make use of engine breaking.

Driving in Manual mode.

Shift the gear lever to Left from D mode to switch to M mode, the forward push will downshift and backward will upshift, I feel other way is better initially few times I pushed back for down-shifts figured out it upshifts with this. Downshifts happen instantaneously in M mode, there is a small delay in upshifting, at low rpm (around or below 1800, depending on the gear and speed), DCT doesn’t allow upshifts to avoid engine lugging, at higher rpms (past 3500) it doesn’t allow the downshifts to avoid possible damage to the gearbox. Floor the gas pedal tachometer climbs till 6.5K rpm and stays there, the engine is free-revving, Engine gets louder and boomy at higher rpms.

Ride quality:
Compass uses McPherson Strut with Lower Control Arm on the front And Multi-Link Suspension with Strut Assembly on the rear with FSD’s, Overall suspension setup is slightly on the stiffer side, at city speeds it works well over the humps and small potholes, stiffness is felt over broken roads the large potholes. It’s definitely not very stiff, but not in duster’s league either, you will notice the kind of road you are driving on. At high-speed, the ride is comfortable, when you move over the uneven surface, small undulations on the road or move over the joints on the flyovers, all these are well filtered out. There is no body roll, it’s minimal to non-existent, even on corners/curves.

Mileage:

City:
With very few offices open, in light traffic with very few bumper-bumper traffic, I was able to get 10+ kmpl in the city (Bangalore), it’s possible with a light foot and driving below 2200 rpm with no sudden acceleration or breaking. With moderate to high traffic with jams, it’s 7-9 km/l.

Highway: With Lightfoot and not crossing 100 kmph, and driving within 70 to 100 kmph, I was able to get 16.3 kmpl over a distance of 140km, initially it started with 19kmpl, with few overtakes and driving at 100 for some time it settled down to 16.3. I feel this is a good mileage, considering it’s a heavy car with a petrol engine.

If you accelerate quickly, vary the speeds fast, and with too many overtakes, it will give around 11-14 kmpl. Turbo petrol’s are sensitive to acceleration, need to driven sedately to extract good mileage.

With cruise control set to 90 kmph, I found FE dropping as it was always trying to maintain the speed, even on inclines and tries to reach target speed very fast say from 60 to 90 when you resume the cruise control after breaking. So, I am getting better Mileage without cruise control.

Interior:
Open the door with a key in the pocket (passive entry), get into the car, shut the door, the door closes with 3 stage action, you will hear the loud thud, re-assuring the safety. Front cabin space is good, seats provide good under-thigh support they aren't cushiony like the one in Seltos Top-end (ventilated), you don't get the adjustable lumbar support in Longitude, steering is tilt & telescopic adjustable, there is no leather wrapping on the steering wheel. A-pillar isn't too thick and doesn't block the view while turning. Interior is made with good quality plastic with a lot of soft-touch material, the fabric is used on the dashboard (Limited gets leather upholstery). Armrest gets the vinyl cushioning, it's extendable, the fabric cushioning provided on all the doors.

New interior Layout, with a soft touch and high-quality material.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211109_121053.jpg

From the Driver seat, the steering leather wrap is done aftermarket.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211109_121027.jpg

Cruise control
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211024_165758.jpg

MID controls with call/voice command switch.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211024_165815.jpg

Engine Start/Stop button.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211110_133914.jpg

Exterior Mirror and window controls.
Front windows are auto up/down, rear ones are auto down only. Tested if the front window has anti-pinch in Test drive car with pen, it broke the pen before rolling down automatically, so be careful.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211024_165701.jpg

Fabric and AC vents on Driver-side
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211110_133923.jpg

AC vents, sleek design. slider and direction controls are made up of premium material.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211110_133936.jpg

Door handle with Silver accent
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211109_121855.jpg

Engine Start/Stop button.

View from the passenger side.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211109_121734.jpg

Glovebox.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211109_121742.jpg

Few points:
  • Gear lever gets the push button, needed to move out or into the Parking, Reverse and Neutral, Push button not required for moves between the N, D and Manual.
  • Pressing the push button start without the depressing brakes doesn't start the engine, but it shows ignition on and all the electronics becomes functional (touch screen, AC etc.)
  • Move the gear lever without the engine on, warning starts flashing after some delay in both MID and led on the side on gear lever starts to blink.
  • A dedicated switches present below the touch screen to toggle Auto start/stop function, Traction control and parking sensor buzzer on/off.
  • Volume control and track switches present below the steering wheel.
  • AC can be switched off by pressing the OFF switch on the control panel. It can be turned on in multiple ways, pressing AC switch/Auto AC switch/ from touch screen/pressing temperature switch on the panel.
  • Auto cornering lights work when you turn, it works without having to turn on the indicator (use full on curves, where indicator is not switched on). It's well lit too.
  • It has LED headlamps, color temperature is bright white(would have loved if it was yellow), found adequate at night, there is no need for an upgrade, they are good.
  • Wipers sweeps across the windshield, covers most of the area, they are not rain sensing.
  • Rear water jet is well hidden under the spoiler.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th May 2023 at 04:46. Reason: As requested
sharan_si is offline   (55) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 18:21   #2
BHPian

Re: 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT

Electronic Park Brake: Electronic parking brake engages and disengages automatically when you move the gear lever, it displays the action in MID, you hear the sound of EPB, it sounds similar to what you hear when aircraft's flaps are engaged. To enable auto EPB changes the setting in Setting> Brakes > Auto Park Brake. I recommend keeping this on, as engaging P mode in transmission prior to engaging Parking brakes will put a load on the transmission, always engage Parking brakes first then move the gear to P. Auto Park mode does it for you.

You can manually engage the parking brakes by pulling the EPB switch up, and dis-engage by pushing down.

EBP switch, placed on the passenger side, needs to be careful with kids if someone pulls by mistake, it applies brakes even when you are moving.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211112_151211.jpg

Hill-start assist: can be switched on via MID, under vehicle settings. It holds the car stationary for 3 seconds after brakes are released. Useful for stop and go on inclines.

Cruise control with speed limiter: cruise control is similar to what it is in most other cars, you can cancel, resume and set the speed with set+ and set – switch. To activate the cruise control vehicle, need to above 30kmph.
Speed limiter prevents the car from crossing the set speed limit, to activate speed needs to be above 30kmph, press the speed limiter switch, set the speed limit with set+, set- switch.

On right and left top corners of the screen temperature of auto AC is displayed.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211110_131323.jpg
Dual Zone AC: It comes with dual-zone automatic climate control, driver and passenger can set different temperature, this is quite useful, I used this most the times, as my wife doesn’t like too cold setting, but I do.
Dual-zone can be disabled by pressing the sync option on the touch screen.
AC can be switched off by pressing the OFF switch on the control panel. It can be turned on in multiple ways, pressing AC switch/Auto AC switch/ from touch screen/pressing temperature switch on the panel.
AC is performance is average, it works well for Bangalore temperature, it’s not a chiller like the other premium cars have.

Control Panel, lot of physical buttons, you don't need to use the touch screen while driving.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211112_144829.jpg

Front seats fabric/vinyl mix, they ok, I found Seltos ventilated seats to be more cushiony and comfortable.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211024_170239.jpg

USB type c and regular USB charger, No 12v socket here.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211109_121750.jpg

Cabin Lamp.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211109_121817.jpg

Mic, present, and both drive on the passenger side.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211024_165855.jpg

The passenger side door also gets the central lock.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211109_121833.jpg

View from the driver side, bottler holders are small, can fit 500-700 ml bottles.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211110_140342.jpg

The door opens wide.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211112_144401.jpg

Speaker mesh, surrounded by chrome.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211110_134044.jpg

Vanity mirrors on both sides, no lamp.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211110_140512.jpg

From left to right, dimmer control switch for MID, Headlamp Level Adjustment switch, and the light switch (Auto for Automatic headlamps).
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211024_165742.jpg

Recommended Tyre pressure
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211024_170539.jpg

View from rear seats.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211024_170210.jpg

Rear seats, floor bump is high and wide coupled with AC vents, 3rd person is unwelcomed. Rear seats are good for 2 adults plus the kids.
seats provide well under-thigh support and legroom is decent.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211112_144437.jpg

Headrest.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211112_144449.jpg

Pull this to fold the seats, rear seats have a 60:40 split.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211110_135304.jpg

The rear window, it rolls all the way down.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211110_134724.jpg

Quarter glass.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211110_134732.jpg

The rear seat belt comes from D-Piller.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211110_134745.jpg

What are these ? Dummy Aircons on D Piller.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211109_122103.jpg

Child Lock.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211109_121917.jpg

Rear AC vents with USB
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211110_134849.jpg

12v socket below.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211024_170124.jpg

Height adjustable, Seat Belt
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211110_135053.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 16th November 2021 at 05:20. Reason: As requested
sharan_si is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 22:16   #3
BHPian

ICE:
10.1inch Uconnect infotainment systems, the display is crisp and responsive, wireless android auto disconnects frequently when you switch to music from android auto in touch screen, some time reconnects automatically, some times it requires you to manually reconnect. You get dual-zone AC control, wireless android auto Apple car play with vehicle settings.
it comes with 6 speaker setup 4 on the door and 2 on the front dashboard, speakers have good bass, mid and highs are average, unless you are an audiophile you don't need to change the speakers they are good, I reduced bass by 2 levels and increased mid and high by 2 levels on the equalizer. I have good pair of speakers from Morel, Tempo 6 series in my other car they have excellent mid and highs, thinking about installing in Jeep but holding back to avoid warranty void.

Also, sometimes times when you start the screen, it goes to the terms and condition page, after you agree, it resumes the normal operation. Initially, I thought it got reset, it's not, it remembers all the settings and the mobile phones paired.

Dual-zone AC controls. On right and left top corners of the screen temperature of auto AC is displayed.

My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211109_121708.jpg

Wireless Android Auto.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211109_122550.jpg

Rear door pocket
Attachment 2231300

Rearview
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211109_121550.jpg

Tail lamp.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211109_121345.jpg

Snake drawing on the windshield, JEEP flaunting off-roading capability of the Compass. well, this is a 4x2 version.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211110_134221.jpg

Boot, smaller than Duster.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211109_121308.jpg

Lamp on both sides of the boot
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211109_122112.jpg

Tool kit cover with Velcro
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211110_134309.jpg

Parcel shelf made with sturdy material.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211110_134353.jpg

Parcel tray support, it can be removed when you remove the parcel tray.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211110_134403.jpg

Hooks on all 4 sides.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211110_135226.jpg

Push to lift open boot floor.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211110_134415.jpg

Spare tyre with rim, undersized, and speed limited.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211110_134438.jpg

The front bumper opener is below.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211110_135402.jpg

Pull the lever to open the bumper.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211110_135424.jpg

Last edited by sharan_si : 13th November 2021 at 02:48.
sharan_si is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 23:12   #4
BHPian

Front flog light, also functions as cornering lights, turns on with indicator or when you take turns.
Name:  IMG_20211110_143055__03__01__01.jpg
Views: 5582
Size:  42.7 KB

LED cornering light in action.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211112_150607.jpg

Gear lever.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211112_143737.jpg

center AC vents below the touch screen.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211112_145105.jpg

Switches below the touch screen.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211112_145735_1.jpg

Center of the dashboard.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211112_144637.jpg

Speaker on the dashboard.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211112_144632.jpg

Switches on the driver's side with a backlight.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211112_143037.jpg

2 cup holders behind the gear lever.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211023_161420.jpg

Cap-less fuel lid, Petrol, and instructions are written on it.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211110_134149.jpg

MID view, both speedometer, and tachometer are analog
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211024_172332.jpg

More on MID
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-a0.jpg
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-a3.jpg

Rearview camera. clarity is good.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211112_144959.jpg

Vehicle settings
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211112_145619.jpg

Display settings
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211112_145715.jpg

Rear parking sensor settings.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211112_145735.jpg

Clock and date.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211112_145741.jpg

Phone/Bluetooth settings
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211112_145748.jpg

Rearview camera settings.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211112_145754.jpg

Setting to fold/unfold side mirrors automatically, folds on lock and unfolds on pushing the start button.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211112_145759.jpg

Light settings, notice enable for headlight off delay and cornering light.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211112_145808.jpg

Auto EPB setting.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211112_145814.jpg

Doors and Lock related settings.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211112_145819.jpg

Key-off options.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211112_145826.jpg

Audio related settings
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211112_145832.jpg

Last edited by sharan_si : 12th November 2021 at 22:25.
sharan_si is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 22:34   #5
BHPian

Combined (city-highway) Mileage 14 kmpl (Around 25 km in the city remaining on the highway) with light traffic and sedate driving. Expect less in the city with moderate to high traffic.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211101_160329.jpg

16.3 kmpl Highway mileage for around 50km drive, with sedate driving.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211101_160318.jpg

11.7 kmpl. With 70% City(Bangalore) and 30% outskirts, with moderate traffic.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211109_122734.jpg

cubbyhole in the boot, present both sides, Willys Jeep on it.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211024_170720.jpg

Chrome finish runs through the back of the car till the same point on the other side.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211109_1228241.jpg

Manually adjustable driver seat.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211112_145347.jpg

Side cladding, good quality plastic used.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-clad.jpg

Alloys.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211109_122851.jpg

Willys Jeep on boot door, a place to hold and shut the door on the top right.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211024_170812.jpg

Rear doors also get the fabric cushion.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211112_1444141.jpg

Rear speaker with same design as front, but chrome lining is missing.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211112_1444171.jpg

Door lock symbol indicating doors are locked.
My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review-img_20211109_121855.jpg

Last edited by sharan_si : 13th November 2021 at 00:36.
sharan_si is offline   (68) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 04:58   #6
Team-BHP Support

Re: My 2021 Jeep Compass Petrol AT Ownership Review

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 09:16   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on your new car! Jeep Compass is one of the best looking cars in our market. Red color suits this car well and the car really looks awesome. This is one of my favorite cars in Indian market. Wishing you many happy miles on this car.

Thank you for putting together this detailed and unbiased review. This is a very good review because you have pointed both the positives and negatives of the car in great detail. Really appreciate your sharing honest feedback.

The car looks great and is a great subject for photography too. Fortunately, there are plenty of lovely areas for a weekend drive from Bangalore where this car will be a lot of fun. Take her out to some green hills and do a photoshoot. Looking forward to seeing more pictures and travel stories of your red Compass. Enjoy the car!

Last edited by Dr.AD : 13th November 2021 at 09:17.
Dr.AD is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 09:34   #8

Great Review, and so much detail incl the easter eggs!

A couple of questions - did you face any rattling issue, and how is it in stop-and-go Bangalore traffic in pulling away.
srikanthp3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 09:52   #9
BHPian

Congratulations on this beauty, loved the colour of the car especially! This car would definitely be in my garage had the price point been a bit lower.

One of my close friends owns a Jeep Compass for the past 3 years and I've been completely impressed with the car every time I have driven it. In my opinion, there are not many cars out there who can compete with the fit and finish of VAG cars (at a similar price point) but Jeep India has always been on the same level if not better. With the VAG group evidently engaged in cost-cutting, I think Jeep is the car next on my radar.

Wishing you a minimum 100K Kms with this beauty, enjoyed reading your thoughts on the car!
AKSarkar1 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 09:54   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations, @sharan_si for a wonderful ownership account with many fine points captured. Here are my observations:

1. The car, the colour, the exterior and interiors look outstanding; probably the owner looks the same too.
It is nice to see proportionate round analog dials for the speedo and the tacho that look just right.
2. The kind of FE you've mentioned on highways is quite reassuring for this engine.
3. Note the curved center of the rear seat - thoughtfully done to ensure easy ingress and egress of passengers from L to R or R to L with the rear vents not coming in the way. Even a thin 3rd passenger can sit comfortably.
4. I think the SX4 was the first large car to be designed to be primarily a rear 2 seater; many followed suit. Maybe this was designed for Hum Do Hamaare Do.
5.This is the first time I've seen a car with a fabric finish on the dashboard. While it looks different, it is going to be a task to keep them clean and prevent the fabric from wearing out. Same with the fabric inserts in the doors. The 2003 Corolla H2 and H4 variants came with fabric inserts in the door pads that were virtually non-contact type, yet would wear out after a few years.
6. The infotainment system screen size is one inch too large and looks a little disproportionate to the size of the dash. Yes, had the screen bottom been sitting a little lower on the dash, this wouldn't have been felt. Like wheels, the screen size also seems to be going up with time.
7. The spare wheel is grossly under-tired; not acceptable at all. I've always believed that spare wheels should be the same spec as the regular ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharan_si View Post
What are these ? Dummy Aircons on D Piller.
Not sure, but I think they are ventilation ports for the space between the frame and the trims or the roof and the roof liner like I've seen in most cars. Just that the location of these vents looks out of place in the Compass. Maybe auto designers can throw some light around this.

Last edited by vigsom : 13th November 2021 at 09:59.
vigsom is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 10:02   #11
BHPian

Congratulations on owning one of the most underrated cars in India- the Compass petrol AT! Been an erstwhile Compass petrol AT owner, and i concur with almost everything that you mentioned. BTW i too sold my car on Spinny- got a good price and i must say the overall experience was great too.

First up, the looks- The car is a photographer's delight- looks good in any color from any angle and against any backdrop.

Engine- is a beast when you want power, and can be reasonably fuel efficient. It is perhaps the most dynamically sorted car this side of 40 lakhs, and the Longitude with 17 inch rims (i hope?) rides better than the 18 inchers too. With regards to fuel efficiency= your ranges are bang on. The 1700 kg car can give very good efficiency (better than other DCTs like Seltos/Creta) if driven well.

2021 Interiors- while the pre facelift model also had good, albeit industrial design interiors, the new one had hit the ball out of the park in design and features.

Features- Feature set now looks competitve too. Cruise control on longitude. Digital display- Even the longitude model now has a better MID than the older Limited ones! The 10.1 screen is a very useful upgrade too- think split screen functionality is there? Wireless Android auto is a boon, and the LED lights would be better than the older halogens too.

Happy to see that the long older bumper lips have now been replaced with the shorter ones. You may want to buy the MOPAR slush mats, and change the Firestone tyres to better ones when you get the chance.

Wish you many many smiles and miles with the beast!

Last edited by achyutaghosh : 13th November 2021 at 10:05.
achyutaghosh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 16:33   #12
BHPian

Quote:

Frame:

A strong unibody structure engineered with 70% hot-stamped steel (ultra high strength steel). 20+ parts are built using the ultra high strength steel.
70% of the body is made from high strength + UHSS. All 70% will not be hot stamped (UHSS) steel. For reference even Volvo uses not more than 30% hot stamped steel in its vehicles.

Also can I know where you got this picture of the body in white with different types of steels shown? Was it at KHT Prime?
StopUnderrides is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 17:07   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StopUnderrides View Post
70% of the body is made from high strength + UHSS. All 70% will not be hot stamped (UHSS) steel. For reference even Volvo uses not more than 30% hot stamped steel in its vehicles.

Also can I know where you got this picture of the body in white with different types of steels shown? Was it at KHT Prime?
Brochure mentions 70% hot stamped, Yes white car pics are from KHT prime.
sharan_si is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 21:09   #14
BHPian

Congratulations Sharan !!
Thanks for the fabulous review. Very detailed indeed. I have booked 1.4 limited due for delivery by Nov end.
Does the petrol variant too have rattle issues ( heard like we get it usually in first 100 kms itself ). Did u notice anything.
enj0y_ride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 08:48   #15
BHPian

Congratulations on the Jeep. Its a wonderful family to be a part of. I have recently driven a Jeep compass for about 400 kms (my first experience of it) and it was absolutely amazing. No amount of potholes unsettled it, very stable ride, every inch it oozes rugged and tough, and above all the FE on the diesel was outstanding. The diesel Jeep compass I drove had already done 86,000 kms with many trips to Kargil/Drass/Leh and Kathmandu under its belt.

Best wishes for many a long journey with it. Take care of the vehicle and it will take care of you.
Rajain is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks