Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2007, 08:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

New Tata Safari 2.2 VTT EX 4X2 EDIT 25000kms service done

Hi Guys
First off all I would like to thank everybody for maintaining this fantastic forum. It really helps whenever anyone needs to ask, research, clarify, anything about cars and even alot of other things. I was always interested in cars and have bought a fair share of cars myself but frankly speaking all my research was limited to only car magazines and maybe asking the dealers some question. But that was it. Though never had any problems (with my previous cars) but I always knew that there should be somewhere, someone or some place where or to whom I could ask my questions, clarify my doubts and share my experiences. This is when I came accross Teambhp.com and whatever I always wanted I found it here. Though I was earlier aware of some sites on the internet (all foreign) but there is nothing like place and I am saying this after being an active member since August 07.
Now as I wanted to change my trusted, fav old Hyundai Accent- GLS that I had bought in 2000 and that had given me years of trouble free service (leaving the normal small glitches aside, that are associated with every piece of machinery which has moving parts) I was very happy with my old time companion. But time had come to change. I was looking for a car on the following but not limited to these parameters
self imposed limit of 9-10 lacs, good in looks, spacious, good features to start with. I wasn't looking for a car with a high FE as I driving is limited to 700-1000 KMS in a month so even having a low FE car would be a very big problem (I would like to clarify that I am a firm believer that all car company launch new models after a lot of research, time , spending money, efforts etc. Further I am not anti or opposed to any particular model, car company and the following are my personal views and do not intend to hurt the anyones sentiments )
I started my search around the time SX4 and the Optra Magnum(Diesel) were launched. Both were good cars loaded with most of the features that I wanted in my car. Epically the SX4(the top end variant) is a wonderful piece of machinery and for the price they are retailing the same I think its a bargain for anyone hunting for a sedan. On the other hand I saw the optra Magnum and there again is nothing to dislike about this car. Wonderful piece of machinery. Infact took the testdrive 3 time. Liked the car so much. But I already had the Optra Petrol 2004 so thought that it would not be good option to have 2 cars same model (leaving the power plant aside).
After this I started to look around i the IInd hand markets for Skoda Lauras fully automatic (1-1.5 yrs old). Now this car is a marvel of engineering. Loaded with feature. Everything I always wanted in a car was there in. It was a little high on the price that why I thought if I would buy a second had would get it around 10-12 lac. Would have to stretch my budget a little but the car was definitely worth it. This time around I started researching this site. And thank god I did. I almost came neer to giving the down payment on a 1.5 year old Laura (HR regn) that I had negotiated to 12.5L. But the deal was postponed but 3 days as the seller had to go out of station. I casually started researching on the car and found that the maintainence of the Laura is very heavy on the pocket. I will not go in details but would just say that I was not comfortable with the figures that I saw.
This was I think around the end of Sept or beginning of Oct when the New Tata Safari 2.2 was launched. I always fancied the safari, but dint really like the old engine (the non dicor version, I think TCIC). I was always aware that the DICOR was launched but dint really consider it before) Now the time was also right as I was planning to change my old car and I considered 3 sedans but dint really fancy any so when I noticed the Safari there was nothing compared to it and took an immediate liking to it. I had kept a Maruti Gypsy about 10years ago. and then it all came back to me. Though I am not comparing the Gypsy (and neither can they be compared) but the SUV'ish Jeep'ish feeling. ITS JUST GREAT. So I started to read and read and read. I became aware that the Safari will not be as trouble free as other sedans in the market and will come with it own share of visits to the workshops to get small small nagging issues resolved (I am not mentioning these issues as they are all on the forum) but I was prepared for it. Nothing could convince me otherwise. After reading for about a week to 10 days clarifying my doubts which all of you have really helped and supported, I went ahead and gave my advance to my dealer and booked my beast. and then the countdown started. Making calls to the dealers, arranging for the loan, etc etc etc until day before yesterday I became aware that I will be getting the delivery on Thursday November 1, 2007.
Went to the dealer around 4.30 pm and took about 2 hrs inspecting the vehicle checking and re checking all the paperwork, checklists from SMG's post New Car Pre Delivery Inspection Checklist and that is an amazing collection of tips and checkpoints a must for every car buyer. Infact there was another guy who was preparing to take delivery in a day or two of his Indica at the dealer and he asked me where I compiled the list from and I gave him the url of the site. So after checking everything (though the dealer dint allow me to take the new car outside the showroom compound as he said that we do not allow customers to take the new car outside and for TD's they have demo cars I dint pressurize much) apart from the TD checked everything and became a proud owner of a brand new Tata Safari DiCOR 2.2 EX 4X2!!!
There is no feeling compared to this feeling in the entire world. Came home pickup my family members espically my 1.5 year old son who once sat on driver seat(when the ignition was off of-course) dint want to budge. I had to pull him away from the steering wheel so be able to drive and we had to go to our place of workship (gurudwars) in CP.
Now hold your breath. I knew and was prepared for my frequent dates with Tata Motors but was not prepared for this. As soon as we set out from our house the AC stopped functioning. I SAID WHAT!!! Anyways that wa a mood spoiler but thought that i would go to the dealer tomorrow morning and get it rectified. carried on and drove for another couple of KMS and I dint belive what Tata Motors had in store for me.
All of a sudden the engine stopped to accelerate. The engine like refused to go above 1700-1800 RPM.
MAN I was horror struck & fuming. Called the salesman and he too was shocked. Gave me the number for the Helpline and I called them up. Told me to switch off the ignition and after 5 seconds switch it back on. He asked me if there was any light or indication on the instrumentation panel and there was a small amber light on the left hand side of the fuel gauge. He said that the problem was the sensor and they would have to re tune the system with a lap-top. I made a request of him coming at that time but it was already past 9 pm and he said that he would come the first time next morning.
Now though I was prepared for something like this but not on the first day itself. I mean if something like this had happened after maybe a week or a month it would have been ok but not on the first day
Anyway there wasnt anything i could do except wait for the next day But this was a real big piss-off. (excuse me but I am mad) At the same time if I think rationally that it could have happened to anything or it could have been worse. But cant get to term with it. All the excitement has died and am feeling dejected and that I have been taken for a ride. But again I feel that its nothing major (i hope) and can be rectified and then the pride of owning this beast gets me all elated again. Maybe there is somelight at the end of the tunnel
lets hope for the best. I am keepnig my fingers crossed.
Now I would like to ask this following questions.

1. is that has this happened to anyone or I am the chosen one.
2. Another thing I find a little odd is that even when the beast is switched off and the car is locked, the radiator fan keeps running switches off after a good 3-5 minutes. this is after coming from a drive and the engine is hot.
3. The Temp Gauge always remains between half and 3/4th levels. Is this normal as my accent used to always remain at 1/2 levels
Sorry for the long post but no one else to ask

Note from mod: Do not use more than two smileys per post. Please go through the rules and announcements section before posting

Last edited by tsk1979 : 2nd November 2007 at 09:04.
Old 2nd November 2007, 09:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

hi Harjeev

Congrats on ur new buy and have fun.

now the answers for u

1. it has happened with lot of people i know (ist day glitches)

2. u have to check with the TASS guys for that

3. temp gauge in 3.0L also remains between the same area and as long as its below half u shdnt worry.

and please write text in small paragraphs using lot of spaces in order to make it more easily readable and interest provoking.

once again congrats for the beast

injoy.
Old 2nd November 2007, 09:08   #3
Team-BHP Support

Hey harjeev congrats on your purchase buddy. Too bad about the niggles though.
I hope you have taken extended warranty also.
regarding your questions
1. My uncles brand new safari shut down on the highway in the middle of nowhere. So you are not the chosen one. This is all part of an effort by Tata motors to cultivate patience and forgiveness in the people of this country
2. No idea on this one
3. On the 3.0 it stays slightly above the 1/2 mark. Does your AC work if car is cool? It could be overheating, or the sensor may be faulty. Infact that could be the reason the engine is in limp more or something. Anyways I am speculating, only the TASS guys can tell.
Old 2nd November 2007, 09:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
This is all part of an effort by Tata motors to cultivate patience and forgiveness in the people of this country
thats funny specially in the morning to make a gr8 day

but its indeed true and i can vouch for that.
Old 2nd November 2007, 09:23   #5
BHPian

Congrats on your purchase Harjeev.
As far as the niggles are concerned, almost all Safari owners i know have had a scare within a week of purchase, some minor, some major. So its perfectly "normal" to expect this from TATA motors.
I had an engine oil and a power steering oil leak within a month purchasing my 3.0 Safari.
Regarding the temperature gauge, it hovers between the Cold and the halfway mark irrespective of AC/hard accn. i too had notice the same thing while doing a TD of the 2.2 that the temp gauge was always at half mark during the entire drive. Maybe the 2.2 runs hot
Congrats again and hope your issues are resolved and u enjoy ur beasst to the fullest.
Old 2nd November 2007, 09:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats ... Harjeev

Though bit scary first day experience. I am sure it will not be something major. Must be some loose wire connection. Faulty and useless PDI.

Pics Pics ?
Old 2nd November 2007, 09:37   #7
BHPian

Hi Harjeev, Congrats for the beast. Sry abt the first day googly from TATA.

Regarding the Issue with a Light on Instrumental Panel:

No need to worry much , it will be programmed and won't take much time. Now a days cars are based on computer chip which is like the central management system of all the machinery in the car.

I had a similar problem in my Esteem and got it rectified easily.

For AC problem:

I have no idea.

In the meanwhile I am also waiting for the delivery sometime next week, and going by your's experience I am really afraid now.(I don't like googly at all )
Old 2nd November 2007, 10:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Harjeev, congrats on your new acquisition, hope you have thousands of kms of fun with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
2. Another thing I find a little odd is that even when the beast is switched off and the car is locked, the radiator fan keeps running switches off after a good 3-5 minutes. this is after coming from a drive and the engine is hot.
That shouldn't be happening - you need to get this checked out ASAP at the workshop. Unless there is some revolutionary technology they have introduced on the 2.2, it doesn't make sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by trance_nut View Post
Regarding the temperature gauge, it hovers between the Cold and the halfway mark irrespective of AC/hard accn.
Absolutely correct Nitin, that's where it stays on mine as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by trance_nut View Post
i too had notice the same thing while doing a TD of the 2.2 that the temp gauge was always at half mark during the entire drive. Maybe the 2.2 runs hot
Ya, right
Old 2nd November 2007, 10:29   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev

That shouldn't be happening - you need to get this checked out ASAP at the workshop. Unless there is some revolutionary technology they have introduced on the 2.2, it doesn't make sense
I am not sure, but it may be coz of the follow me Home technology because of which there is no Total Cut out from the battery even if your car is locked.
Old 2nd November 2007, 10:39   #10
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3. The Temp Gauge always remains between half and 3/4th levels. Is this normal as my accent used to always remain at 1/2 levels

Hey, congrats for the 2.2.

2. The radiator fan after a somewhat medium to long drive do remain on for maybe max a minute or most probably around 20-30 secs, but definitely not 3-5 minutes. This is definitely odd. I will try to time it now and will let you know the exact time it remains on.

3. The temp gauge is perfectly normal. It goes to the half mark after a short drive and stays there as long as you drive. Even during my recent 13.5 hrs drive from siliguri to calcutta, the temp mark was at the half mark, neither up or down.

Now it is unfortunate that you are facing these issues. Never take them lying down thinking that these are the usual TATA problems. Yes they will be eventually solved by the service people and most probably in another 7 days you should be having a trouble free car, BUT do make a point to call the TATA regional manager, tell him the matter in no uncertain terms. They have been told to be very sensitive to any complaints from the 2.2 customers. Call up the toll free number 1800 225 552 for getting the regional manager's number or their head in mumbai.

Thus in summary, what I suggest is that in parallel, liase with the service people, call up the regional manager or even the TATA headquarters. Move every post for any fault, don't just talk to the service people - talk to the company people and they in turn put pressure on the dealer workshop.
Old 2nd November 2007, 10:40   #11
BHPian

Hey Man,

congrats for you new ride.
  • As far as you issues are concerned, they seem to be minor and has happened with many others as well. The first one is a sensor issue and wont take more than 30 mins to fix and calibrate. The second about the A/C also seems to be minor. See near the AC clutch under the hood. Most probably the wire must be disconnected. This is a usual problem as the wires keep hanging and break. This time when the TASS guy comes, ask him to fix the wire with a tap and things should be ok. Dont worry and be happy as you have got a real good vehicle.
  • As far as the temperature is concerned, it will settle down after 1000kms of run so nothing to worry about
Congrats once again

Last edited by rajismine : 2nd November 2007 at 10:42.
Old 2nd November 2007, 11:31   #12
Team-BHP Support

I would not take the temp gauge lightly.
Even in brand new 3.0 it used to go slightly above half way, that is teeny weeny bit.
In this case its midway between half and 3/4 and AC is cutting off too(If my interpretation is correct).
In tata cars, right from the prehistoric times of 2002, if your engine temp goes up slightly above normal, first thing to shut down is the AC.
I think 2.2 engine has some kind of limp home mode which restricts the engine temp when it overheats, thats what is happening here.
The culprit could be
1. engine is not overheating sensor is faulty(most probable. the day Tata fixes electricals india will land a man on pluto)
2. Actual problem(very very rare)
Old 2nd November 2007, 11:32   #13
BHPian

hey man, congrats on your beast...welcome to the safari club...after your trip to the TSS, it will give you a trouble free service...
update this thread with your experience after the service...
Old 2nd November 2007, 11:46   #14
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
3. The temp gauge is perfectly normal. It goes to the half mark after a short drive and stays there as long as you drive. Even during my recent 13.5 hrs drive from siliguri to calcutta, the temp mark was at the half mark, neither up or down.
Hey sorry, definitely 3/4 is abnormal - I calculated the 3/4 the wrong way!!! It is should not cross the half mark, as I said even after a 12-hr continous drive it did not cross the half mark.

Do keep us updated on how the followups are progressing.
Old 2nd November 2007, 11:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Very good read there Harjeev !!!

BUT I would say the Radiator taking 2 - 3 minutes & Temp Gauge being above the 1/2 mark needs an immediate check up.

TATA is known for these wonderful trciks their cars throw. In fact I was so close to buying the 2.2 But then a lot of people discouraged me in buying it ( I do not blame them ). I have 3 other members at home ( All Ladies ) who pick up the keys of anything lying there. So I thought better of not buying the Safari knowing about these problems.

Also me being a petrol head made me think otherwise.

Congrats once again !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks