Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2007, 14:13   #136
Senior - BHPian

Fender Bender

Hi!

I had my first fender bender last week with the 2.2 VTT.

Does anyone know if the chrome garnish on the front bumper is sold separately or is part of the bumper itself ?

Am trying to get some estimates of what the replacement will cost
Old 20th November 2007, 15:54   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Guys,

I saw the fuel sediment filter warning come on, the day i took delivery and filled a tank full ( 65 ltrs ) at an indian oil outlet on Hosur Road, Bangalore.

The dealer said that the fuel is adulterated and draining the sediment filter apparently solved the problem.

Yesterday filled a tank full at the Shell outlet on Lavelle Road/Vittal Mallaya road on the dealer's recommendation, and have started to see the sediment filter warning again.

1) Do I need to drain the tank and clean ?
2) Will using System -D prevent this ?
3) Does the filter need cleaning or replacement other than draining it.

Surprisingly the engine idling speed increases with the sediment filter on, and the vehicle acclerates even when the accelerator / clutch are not pressed. Limp mode effect ?

Other than these small niggles, the car is fun to drive, engine settling down with 600km on the odo. I'm loving it!

Me too filled the full tank today, and got a sediment filter warning light. But it was for a sec. And afterwards no such warning. I filled the tank till the neck. Was this a cause. or actually adulterated fuel.? Also if there are adulterated fuel, should the warning light continuously blink.?
Old 20th November 2007, 17:36   #138
Senior - BHPian

abbey4u,

The filter warning light comes on for a sec when you switch on, and then goes away.

I started to get the warning when driving. comes and goes initially and then stay on.
Old 21st November 2007, 11:50   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Hi!

I had my first fender bender last week with the 2.2 VTT.

Does anyone know if the chrome garnish on the front bumper is sold separately or is part of the bumper itself ?

Am trying to get some estimates of what the replacement will cost
Its not a part of the bumper. It is attached to it with some 4 screws.
Old 21st November 2007, 12:12   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
...In less than a minute the problem was identified.

There were two large cardboard sheets in between the AC condenser and the radiator (the size of the radiator itself) as a result of which the car was overheating and due to the overheating the Central Unit was switching off the AC and activating the 'Limp to Home Mode'

I was so happy I cant explain in words. It was something so simple and cause such a big problem.
I guess this is something that can be added to the PDI checklist- so that the next t-bhpian / friends who take delivery of the 2.2 are aware of this simple oversight!
Old 21st November 2007, 18:00   #141
Senior - BHPian

Hi
I am back from the road trip and now the beast has run for a total of 1050 KMs on the road trip.

The beast returned a fuel economy of 14.65 with loads of traffic at Panipat and Amritsar. Though I am a little dis-satisfied with the economy as I was expecting something closer to 16+ any anyways. Did a little bit of city driving at Ludhiana and amritsar too.

To drive the beast on the highway is a great experience. The pickup is simply awesome in the 3rd and good even the 4th gear. drove constantly at speeds of 80-90 KMS occasionally going upto 100 but not more than that.
I am now in love with this beast even more and dont think that I can drive any other car on the highway again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
How can the dealer put in wrong grade engine oil ??

TSK1979::Absolutely correct.. Its even mentioned in the service mannual Harjeev has uploaded. Its supposed to be API-CH4 grade oil & above for 2.2 and its API-CF4 & above for 3.0 ltr dicor engine.

Harjeev get clarification as soon as you can from dealer and show them the mannual and get them to put in AP-CH4 grade oil for ur new 2.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
100rs for CAT converter cleaning?? The labor is supposed to be free for free service. This service center is ripping you off.
when I went to Automobile sterling for the first time, they tried to offer me all useless treatments, which are not really needed until 25K+ or so.
All these involved were adding additives in oil etc., and silly stuff, which could be had from outside for half the price.
I am seriously wondering how can a dealership sell a third party lube above MRP?
Regarding the engine oil after reading you comments I dont know what to do!
Should I go back to the service station and get it changed?
If they do not agree to change should I pay for it and get it changed?
Though after driving it for a 1000 kms I did not experiece anything wrong, but as I am not expert please advise.

I too think that that they have charged the excessively for the engine flushing and cleaning but come to think its only about 1000 rupees. Next time I will have to be much more careful. I thought that all this was required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Get the engine oil changed at 2K and it will do really good to the engine. The run-in period would have been over and the metal shavings etc. would get drained off. Get the oil filter to changed. The engine would settle down. Ask the dealer if you can put Mobil Delvac MX Mutigrade without having any issues with the warranty. I think Mobil is on the approved list of Tatas.

If the delaer agrees, you'll get Mobil for about the same rate. You will feel a world of difference with this oil. Irrespective of what the manual says, maintain the service schedule that included oil change at every 7.5K kms.

You'll have long years of trouble free service from your truck.

My responses are in bold..

I'm surprised, why engine flush was used at 900-1000 Kms.
gd1418
Do you still think that I should get the engine oil changed as I got it changed about 900 KMS (odo reading)
If yes what brand should I go in for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Irrespective of what the manual says, maintain the service schedule that included oil change at every 7.5K kms.
Regarding the above. Every 7.5K kms
Should it be just the oil/ oil filter change or the complete service.
If the complete service what all should I need to change/ cleen/ look for in these services
Old 21st November 2007, 18:24   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by youth_2bond View Post
Hello everyone ia m new to this s ite but am very happy to find it ..juast planning to buy the 2.2 vtt lx model of "ThE Giant" ..so some small queries:

1.My use is less than 500kms per month or even lessso shall i go in for Safari or some other like Sx4 sort.
2.Is the Safari's service good in Delhi or not.
3.What all r the needful action i must take before i take the delivery of this Giant like PDI process (by the way what does PDI mean)
4.Is it worth taking the risk to buy this car with maintenance problems n breaks down seemingly quite apparent with it.

Previously i have been using Palio n must say am a proud n satisfied customer of this car (Tata's r the one's who r providing me the service of this car).Thanks n Cheers!!
I too had the same questions before buying the car and I had an experience that I would never forget in my life. Please read my first post in the same thread

But anyways I went ahead and became a proud owner of the beast. and the status now is that I wouldnt trade my beast for any other car in the same range or maybe even the ford endevour (no offense) which is about 5-6 lacs expensive than the EX 4X2

And whereas driving in delhi is concerned though the car is a little big to drive its still much better than the others in the same category. The suspension/ road presence/ comfort/ interiors/ cost of maintaince is great. I have driven it in markets like chandni chowk, karol back and traffic jams in cities like amritsar without any issues. The only thing I think is required is some patience when driving in traffic and it would get you through.

PDI is the pre-delivery inspection check. This is what the showroom is suppose to do, but I believe that for them(the showroom guys) all this has become a sort of a routine business and they tend to overlook certain things. The total PDI takes about 1-2 hrs and is a must as it really helps you to get acquainted with the vehicle and if anything is wrong helps to get it rectified.

Quote:
Guys,

I saw the fuel sediment filter warning come on, the day i took delivery and filled a tank full ( 65 ltrs ) at an indian oil outlet on Hosur Road, Bangalore.
Thank god I have never experienced anything with the fuel sediment filter warning light. I got diesel from a indian oil outlet in ludhiana but nothing came up.
One thing is that I always keep the car start when the fuel is being filled up.
Old 21st November 2007, 18:38   #143
BHPian

Quote:
How does it helps? Any advantage? I am asking this primarily because I have never done this. (On my new beat as well as my old esteem)
Old 21st November 2007, 19:18   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
How does it helps? Any advantage? I am asking this primarily because I have never done this. (On my new beat as well as my old esteem)

This I too believe doesn't make any difference but in the summers with the air con on I have never switched it off. So am not in the habit of switching off the car when at the fuel pump and do the same in the winters as well.
Old 21st November 2007, 21:56   #145
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am back from the road trip and now the beast has run for a total of 1050 KMs on the road trip.

The first highway drive is always a memorable experience and congrats on that. It is really great to know the way you are enjoying the 2.2.

Quote:
Regarding the engine oil after reading you comments I dont know what to do!
Should I go back to the service station and get it changed?
If they do not agree to change should I pay for it and get it changed?
Though after driving it for a 1000 kms I did not experiece anything wrong, but as I am not expert please advise.

I too think that that they have charged the excessively for the engine flushing and cleaning but come to think its only about 1000 rupees. Next time I will have to be much more careful. I thought that all this was required.

So it is confirmed now that you do have a mismatch of engine oil. When I went for the first service at Siliguri during my tour, I was alarmed to find that they were totally ignorant on the change in engine oil grade, and I mentioned that in that post.

I do not think that you will be having some big technical faults in the engine due to this mismatch but the bigger issue is the callous attitude of the dealer's service people. You already faced their carelessness, with the cardboard box issue, and plus now this oil mismatch and also those extra billings that they have done - it is high time you call up the regional manager of TATA there and tell him the issues that you have faced and plus send a email to keep it on record. You must take them to task and again keep everything on record.

Another thing that I would say to all please have go through the manual, though that is the most boring thing and required patience. There are quite a few things that needs to be kept in mind - especially since almost all 2.2 owners are first time users of Safari.

Quote:
Thats a very good fuel economy. I have got 14.65 with the Indian Oil Premium Diesel. I was expecting a little more. This was on the highway with city driving about 20-25%
We dont get reliance/ shell in delhi only HP/ Indian Oil/ Bharat Petroleum/ IBP. What is the best please advise
During my highway runs Reliance gave the best and Hi-Speed diesel of BPCL the lowest. I have not filled up Indian oil Premium till now. I also do not have any REliance pump over here in the city. Will be filling up Indian Oil Premium this time for the FE on that.
Old 21st November 2007, 23:23   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think this is wrong & dangerous. I remember reading / watching somewhere that you should ALWAYS shut the car's engine off and then fill it up.

I am not a technical person so I do not know but just something I take precaution in.

BTW Harjeev - How much was the Safari OTR Delhi Cost you ? Any Freebies / Discounts ?
Old 22nd November 2007, 00:19   #147

[quote=harjeev;633848]I too had the same questions before buying the car and I had an experience that I would never forget in my life. Please read my first post in the same thread

But anyways I went ahead and became a proud owner of the beast. and the status now is that I wouldnt trade my beast for any other car in the same range or maybe even the ford endevour (no offense) which is about 5-6 lacs expensive than the EX 4X2

And whereas driving in delhi is concerned though the car is a little big to drive its still much better than the others in the same category. The suspension/ road presence/ comfort/ interiors/ cost of maintaince is great. I have driven it in markets like chandni chowk, karol back and traffic jams in cities like amritsar without any issues. The only thing I think is required is some patience when driving in traffic and it would get you through.

PDI is the pre-delivery inspection check. This is what the showroom is suppose to do, but I believe that for them(the showroom guys) all this has become a sort of a routine business and they tend to overlook certain things. The total PDI takes about 1-2 hrs and is a must as it really helps you to get acquainted with the vehicle and if anything is wrong helps to get it rectified.

Thanks to all of u sir bought it today with God's grace got the delevery n drove it as well..was jst superb ride mauja hi mauja all the way purchased the 2.2 vtt black today..
Thanks once again to all n Cheers To Safari !!
Old 22nd November 2007, 01:10   #148
Team-BHP Support

Using a lower spec oil once wont cause problems, but using it again and again will. I suggest you give a call to tata custome care and tell them about usage of lower grade oil
Old 22nd November 2007, 11:32   #149
BHPian

I don't know if I should laugh or cry. I got my 1st service done at 1300 km at Dhingra's. The did not change the engine oil and filter. On team-bhp I got to know one must change it. I called them back & spoke to 3 differnt guys. Each say that as per the instructions received from Tata Motors the engine oil change will happen only at 15,000 km??? But the service booklet says that it needs to be done at 1200-1500 km.

Why would Dhingra's avoid it when the others are changing it? Can some please help here.

Should I just buy the oil and filter and get it done at any other authorised service station? Gurus/bhpians in Gurgaon, do advice.
Old 22nd November 2007, 12:23   #150
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
I don't know if I should laugh or cry. I got my 1st service done at 1300 km at Dhingra's. The did not change the engine oil and filter. On team-bhp I got to know one must change it. I called them back & spoke to 3 differnt guys. Each say that as per the instructions received from Tata Motors the engine oil change will happen only at 15,000 km??? But the service booklet says that it needs to be done at 1200-1500 km.

It has been discussed before here in the forum as being a printing mistake. The first service is at 15 k, but as people say go for a voluntary oil change at 5k-6k to remove debris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Had to come back to Siliguri, as the 1000 km mark has crossed - now servicing here at Siliguri. The service people did not seem to know any major changes to that 3.0 - in fact quite suprised that a different grade of engine oil is to used from that of 2.2.

There is no engine oil replacement, the service book had mark in that coloumn which was blanked out by pen [that was a printing mistake in initial brochures that was rectified by the pen mark] by and that made me believe that there is engine oil replacement. Just a kind of inspection, nothing more, they just attend to the specific niggles if any.

Quote:
It has not to be changed. The company had put white fluid on the oil change column at first service.
I scratched it with my nails. Must be a printing error.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks