Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2007, 12:27   #181
BHPian

From a price point of view it would be option 2, as Dec is a low selling month and you can coax as much discounts a possible; but if you are looking at a resale point of view then option 1 makes sense as any prospective buyer or his valueor would like to see your invoice and can bargain hard on you... you can decide (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
T-BHP-ians... Thanks for providing valuable feedbacks and review. In fact your reports were so addictive that I ended up booking a Safari which I never thought I'll do in near future. I came here for getting help on deciding b/w Swift Vdi vs Getz Crdi, but after goin thru the Feedbacks on the New Safari, I culdn't think of any other car other than Safari.

Anyways, I have bookd Quartz Black Safari EX 4x4 from Prerana Motors, B'lore. They've given me two options.

1. Wait till Jan to get 2008 vehicle atleast on papers. or
2. Take delivery on Dec 22nd with Temp registration and do Registration in Jan. The invoice and other docs will be dated dec 2007.

Please suggest which one wud be a better option? Also is it possible to fix a 2 DIN HU in Safari?
Old 15th December 2007, 13:58   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Anyways, I have bookd Quartz Black Safari EX 4x4 from Prerana Motors, B'lore. They've given me two options.
Also is it possible to fix a 2 DIN HU in Safari?
Congrats man. What is the OTR price for the EX 4x4 in blore ?

Quote:
Also is it possible to fix a 2 DIN HU in Safari?
The safari OE stereo slot supports single DIN ones only, AFAIK. Not sure about this though
Old 15th December 2007, 14:20   #183
BHPian

Thanks AirWind for the suggestion. I've already done the bargaining part and finalised all the discounts and price. Hence discount wise I wont get anything extra for Dec except for a scratch card with which you can win upto another Dicor . (I never been lucky enough to get prizes and dont expect big with the scratch card )
The only thing that attracts me for option 1 is the waiting time... I can have the beast for my X-mas and New Year outings. Is 2008 model really worth the waiting?
Old 15th December 2007, 14:30   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarath View Post
Congrats man. What is the OTR price for the EX 4x4 in blore ?
Ex show-room : 9,37,566
Ins : 33933
Life time Tax : 1,13,445
Reg : 3000
Extnd Warranty: 5950
Total : 10,93,894

Registration and extnd warranty has been waived off. Another 6000 cash discount + std accessories 3M sun film, teflon coating etc.

BTW Sarath, hows your Lancer doing? Wens your EVO engine coming? Any mods done?
Old 15th December 2007, 23:02   #185
BHPian

Quote:
The only thing that attracts me for option 1 is the waiting time... I can have the beast for my X-mas and New Year outings. Is 2008 model really worth the waiting?
Dont think so; an actual 2008 model wouldnt be out before Mar as manufacturers always stock pile a huge inventory to churn out before their financial year ends and BTW, its not advisible to pick up one very close (and may be 1~2 months later) to financial year either because their quality/shipment may have been compromised to meet production numbers - everybody is in a rat race, right?

My conclusion on the best time to buy a car is between May thru Oct...
Old 15th December 2007, 23:33   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Dont think so; an actual 2008 model wouldnt be out before Mar as manufacturers always stock pile a huge inventory to churn out before their financial year ends and BTW, its not advisible to pick up one very close (and may be 1~2 months later) to financial year either because their quality/shipment may have been compromised to meet production numbers - everybody is in a rat race, right?
I disagree with the above. Safari sales are around 2K per month. With that kind of sales, it is unrealistic for TATA to stock pile a huge inventory. Also, would you please explain the rationale about compromising quality to meet production numbers.
Old 16th December 2007, 05:43   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
I disagree with the above. Safari sales are around 2K per month. With that kind of sales, it is unrealistic for TATA to stock pile a huge inventory. Also, would you please explain the rationale about compromising quality to meet production numbers.
Plus these days i remember reading in one of the newspapers that big companies have implemented a kind of a s/w system where they have brought down inventory levels from earlier levels of 4-6 months to 2-4 weeks.
I dont know about tata but i remember reading aboput Bajaj Auto & Hero Honda that earlier (10 years ago) they used to keep inventory of almost 1 year and with the new system, the inventory is only for 15 days. Under the new system i think that the inventory is online and the major suppliers are online, and as soon as the re-order level is reach supplies are automaticly ordered and dispatched.

So as tata is also an tech advance company i doubt that they would take 3 months to finish off their inventory
Old 16th December 2007, 11:07   #188
BHPian

@holyghost,

If you are looking to retain it for a long term decemeber or january purchase would not make any difference. Buy it now since u get the best deals around this time of the year. Resgister it in 2008.

Also remember the diff in decmber- january resale would be effectively less than the price difference you get on a new model. (Plus there is also something like Net present value to be considered).

Inventory why worry about that. you can always ask for the month of manufacture of the vehicle. Get one from the lateest month available
Old 16th December 2007, 11:55   #189
BHPian

Hey, I've a dealer friend in Delhi who suggested to put Goodrich tubeless on Safari as it is the best for onroad and offroading adventures. Basically is an all weather tyre.

The price I asked was Rs. 7K per tyre and when i saw the tyre...it had a different tread design as compared to you find on michelin, bridgestone or any other brand for that matter. Probably, before going in for my advice, you might want to research a bit more on this brand.

FYI, Goodrich was the official sponsor for the movie Jurrasic Park, which means all the tyres used in those vehicles were goodrich
Old 16th December 2007, 15:53   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Plus these days i remember reading in one of the newspapers that big companies have implemented a kind of a s/w system where they have brought down inventory levels from earlier levels of 4-6 months to 2-4 weeks.
I dont know about tata but i remember reading aboput Bajaj Auto & Hero Honda that earlier (10 years ago) they used to keep inventory of almost 1 year and with the new system, the inventory is only for 15 days. Under the new system i think that the inventory is online and the major suppliers are online, and as soon as the re-order level is reach supplies are automaticly ordered and dispatched.
Since this is OT - the ERP systems in place allow for much lower inventory levels. the issue before last of CIO (thts an IT magazine) Maruti maintains a 0.9 day inventory. thats awesome actually... - close to JIT (thats Just In Time production)
Old 17th December 2007, 09:39   #191
BHPian

Fair Points ! FYI, the Japanese had the best inventory model (read Toyota, who pioneered the Toyota Production System which is now the new global manufacturing matra called Lean), and so any company that had a Jap partner (say Hero thru Honda, Bajaj thru Kawasaki or Maruti thru Suzuki) copied exact the inventory models – I have spent quite some time in manufacturing and have used advanced ERP packages like Oracle and SAP but my point is that many traditional manufacturing companies in India hold a min of 2~3 months of inventory across as a raw material, WIP (production), in QA (quality assurance), as a finished good, in transit or at the dealer - Not sure of Tata’s inventory model but my opinion to the prospective buyer was to be on a safer side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post

So as tata is also an tech advance company i doubt that they would take 3 months to finish off their inventory

Last edited by AirWind : 17th December 2007 at 09:41.
Old 17th December 2007, 10:51   #192
BHPian

i have a que for all 2.2 beast owners,

this saturday we(me and my wife) went for one final TD of 2.2 dicor. we could notice prominent humming noise in 3-4th gear at lower revs...causing lot of vibrations and rattles inisde the beast....can anyone thorugh light on this?

despite all that i managed to convince my better half

getting beast delivery either in dec end or in jan first week. booked Quartz Black ex 4x2....will changed the shoe immediately to either Hankook or Michelin Latitude...and Neo Punch 16" black machine finish...

tyre dealer is ready to buy stock tyres for 5k each. new Hankook will cost 7.5k and Michelin to cost 9.1k each. both are 255/65/R16. let me know if this is a good deal.
Old 17th December 2007, 23:53   #193
BHPian

throttleking, if you had noticed, the humming noise in 3/4/5 gears come only initially, this is because the rpm drops considerably by the time you upshift and the engine needs to build up the rpm/torque again. once the correct rpm is reached for a particular gear, the humming noise goes off.

the remedy i found out is to take the rpm to 2k and before initiating the upshift, give the accelerator a slight blip to take the rpm past 2k and immediately proceed with the shift. by the time the rpm starts to fall below 1.5k, i am already disengaging the clutch and the vehicle runs smooth without the noise. by doing so, i am of course violating the 2k rpm limit set for the running-in period, but a shuddering engine is not a good thing either.

people driving diesels generally use the above technique to hold the torque in place between shifts, as is also done by the race drivers, that's why you hear a whining sound when watching a formula driver negotiate a turn, he is making sure that the moment he comes out of the curve, he can continue at the same speed, no need to build up the acceleration from scratch. the same technique would be used by many veteran bullet riders to do a clutch-less shift, it takes some getting used to, but once the timing is determined, the gears can be changed easily without having to pull the hard clutch of the bike every time, haven't tried the same on other bikes though, so can't say if it works on all machines.

take a td again if possible and try the same, it's hard to experiment on a new vehicle you know :-)
Old 17th December 2007, 23:59   #194
BHPian

has anyone of the safari owners got a gear-lock fitted on his vehicle, please if possible post a pic of the same.

got myself a gear lock in the heat of the moment, now that the lock has arrived from ebay, i am wondering where does it get placed, the are around the safari gear lever is a vast plain sheet of plastic material as it seems to me.

also, whether to get it fitted by the service station guys or go to a mechanic?

any help is appreciated much.
Old 18th December 2007, 10:27   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
has anyone of the safari owners got a gear-lock fitted on his vehicle, please if possible post a pic of the same.

got myself a gear lock in the heat of the moment, now that the lock has arrived from ebay, i am wondering where does it get placed, the are around the safari gear lever is a vast plain sheet of plastic material as it seems to me.

also, whether to get it fitted by the service station guys or go to a mechanic?

any help is appreciated much.
I'll post you a pic. I got a gear lock fitted from the dealer itself.

Most Viewed