Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2008, 12:30   #211
Team-BHP Support

1. Idling won't cause your BEAR to become less Fuel Efficient, but when you are idling, you are burning fuel and not moving. This means you consume more fuel and hence calculated FE is less
2. You need to idle for 1 minute after cold start and for atleast 30 seconds after every start. Also before switching off the engine idle for 30 seconds. This will do wonders for the life of the turbo. After starting from standstill do not exceed 2000rpm for a couple of minutes or so.
Old 25th February 2008, 12:43   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Instead use the conventional weights in this inside by asking him to balancing the wheel from the inside. Thus those ugly weights will not be visible from outside and will keep the wheel balanced as well..
Guru-ji, that won't work in all cases. Many times most of the wheels need weights on either side to balance them properly that is why when you have a look at the balancing machine it points out exactly at which point & which side the weight needs to be applied upon. So you will have to mount some weights on the front side too.
Old 28th February 2008, 12:43   #213
BHPian

Even I see a drop in mileage. I'm getting only 9-10 in city while using XtraMile. The beast has clocked 3020 KM.
Last month during my trip to Trivandrum which clocked 1850KM, I got 16KM to a litre. This time I've filled Shell diesel. I let you know whether there is any increase in mileage.
Old 28th February 2008, 13:16   #214
Senior - BHPian

Are you sure ??, cos it would be kinda record for safari 2.2 and only goes to prove that the engine is efficient but only needs quality fuel to perform.

Btw what speeds did you keep in your trip to get such FE. With A/C, without it ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
Last month during my trip to Trivandrum which clocked 1850KM, I got 16KM to a litre. This time I've filled Shell diesel. I let you know whether there is any increase in mileage.
Old 28th February 2008, 13:56   #215
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
Even I see a drop in mileage. I'm getting only 9-10 in city while using XtraMile. The beast has clocked 3020 KM.

The day I bought Safari LX 2.2, the very next day I went for a 2600 km tour of North Bengal and to my suprise it gave a very good FE or around 14 with hill FE of around 11, 70% with AC. I thought there must be some wrong in my calculation. The best mileage I got was through Reliance.

Now contrary to established procedure, as the run in happened I also noted a drop in FE of around 10-12. I only fill up premium fuel, mostly being BP Speed as that pump is very near my house.

Nowadays again however I am seeing the FE increase after 7000 km on the odo and during this week's 800 km run with a mixture of BP Speed, Indianoil Premium, and Reliance, it gave a FE of around 15 almost. However Reliance diesel costs Rs 39 and no pump is there within the city limits.

Can somebody put up the FE of Safari running on IndianOil premium fuel as that seems the best next to Reliance.

Last edited by adc : 28th February 2008 at 14:01.
Old 28th February 2008, 14:04   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Guru-ji, that won't work in all cases. Many times most of the wheels need weights on either side to balance them properly that is why when you have a look at the balancing machine it points out exactly at which point & which side the weight needs to be applied upon. So you will have to mount some weights on the front side too.
Yeah but some balancing places have this high end machinary which determines the balance weights that are to be added on the inside only.Have seen one at Gaurdex tyres chembur.Really really high end.
Old 28th February 2008, 15:29   #217
Senior - BHPian

I had posted my experience with fuels here but best I got was 13-14 on the highways and 10-11 in the city.

Have not tried the private oil companies as none is close/ on-the-way for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Can somebody put up the FE of Safari running on IndianOil premium fuel as that seems the best next to Reliance.
Old 28th February 2008, 16:39   #218
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I had posted my experience with fuels here but best I got was 13-14 on the highways and 10-11 in the city.

Have not tried the private oil companies as none is close/ on-the-way for me.

It thus seems that figures of 14-13/11-10 is what we can expect from Safari on average - and that is in itself quite okay given the big mass as it is.

Though every time with Reliance I did get the best FE , around 14-15 - though diesel cost is Rs 39.
Old 28th February 2008, 16:56   #219
BHPian

Quote:
It thus seems that figures of 14-13/11-10 is what we can expect from Safari on average - and that is in itself quite okay given the big mass as it is.

Though every time with Reliance I did get the best FE , around 14-15 - though diesel cost is Rs 39.
I get ~ 12 in the city and ~ 14 on highwyas. However I mostly drive in the city and highway drives are not so frequent.
Old 28th February 2008, 16:58   #220
Senior - BHPian

Hi
I returned yesterday from a 1100 km run DEL-LUDHIANA-AMRISTAR-LUDHIANA-DELHI trip.
The beast was fully loaded with five adults and full luggage. At all times the fuel is filled from Indian Oil (the premium i think xtra mile diesel). Tyre pressure i kept 32 & 35 for the front and rear.

For the initial 750 kms i.e. DEL-LUDH-AMRITSAR-LUDH I was doing about 100-120 on the highways (even took the beast to 140 at times) the aircon on and off on times the bear returned about 13.49 to a litre.

On the way back, although there was little traffic and me too all tired from doing all this driving(in 4 days) / attending marriage functions etc, dint go above 80-85kms/hr and kept it in the range of 70-80 kms (rpm between 1.5 to 2.0k) the beast returned 18.08 km to a litre. I am very much satisfied with the kind of FE the bear has given. The aircon was off on the way back.

The odo now reads about 6200+ kms
Old 28th February 2008, 17:02   #221
Senior - BHPian

that must be like setting the milestone for Safari 2.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
On the way back, although there was little traffic and me too all tired from doing all this driving(in 4 days) / attending marriage functions etc, dint go above 80-85kms/hr and kept it in the range of 70-80 kms (rpm between 1.5 to 2.0k) the beast returned 18.08 km to a litre. I am very much satisfied with the kind of FE the bear has given. The aircon was off on the way back.

Old 28th February 2008, 17:09   #222
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
At all times the fuel is filled from Indian Oil (the premium i think xtra mile diesel). Tyre pressure i kept 32 & 35 for the front and rear.

For the initial 750 kms i.e. DEL-LUDH-AMRITSAR-LUDH I was doing about 100-120 on the highways (even took the beast to 140 at times) the aircon on and off on times the bear returned about 13.49 to a litre.

The FE 18 is huge and really terrific, will try that once keeping the Safari within the limits that you kept with IOC premium. It is difficult to keep a Safari [the urge, until you are tired!!!] around 70-80 with whatever clear road ahead for whatever short period of time.

I remember you using IOC Xtramile since beginning and will be using that exclusively from now on. Thus in conclusion, IOC XTramile then is best bet after Reliance diesel, plus it is under Rs 35.

Last edited by adc : 28th February 2008 at 17:11.
Old 28th February 2008, 17:17   #223
Senior - BHPian

18 is awesome. Reliance one is just normal diesel right?

No performance difference also?
Old 28th February 2008, 18:19   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is difficult to keep a Safari [the urge, until you are tired!!!] around 70-80 with whatever clear road ahead for whatever short period of time.

Spot on adc
Its really difficult to keep the bear in the 70-80 range. Gets really tiring. But I wanted to see what the beast was capable off and I am now satisfied with the FE.
I was earlier a little worried with the kind of FE I was getting see this post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/729721-post200.html
But after getting 18 with decent driving I am feeling quite happy about it
Old 28th February 2008, 18:35   #225
Senior - BHPian

18 kmpl is quite incredible, as Dadu said, I'm sure this is a new benchmark for the beast!

Quote:
I remember you using IOC Xtramile since beginning and will be using that exclusively from now on. Thus in conclusion, IOC XTramile then is best bet after Reliance diesel, plus it is under Rs 35.
Well, he has little choice since Reliance is not available in the NCR

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks