Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2008, 23:11   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
shankar.balan: Sir, I'd heard the 1.2 was due for release, so I surmise tis that being advertised. I saw the ad as well and you didn't miss the fine print- there wasn't any!! It is unlikely they could bring the diesel down to such a price point, but you never know. Competition can make miracles happen.
Yes, that was indeed the 1.2. I recently got a chance to drive both the 1.4L and 1.2L petrol. I was complaining to the dealer that Skoda is hardly pushing it's petrols - as if they don't have much confidence in them. The dealer told me that they had a recent Ad for the 1.2 petrol.

It's called the 1.2 HTP - High Torque Petrol according to ACI. I have no idea what the torque figure is though. Neither did the dealer (Vinayak).
Old 22nd April 2008, 08:53   #167
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

thanks v much
you never know, as you said, but competition can stimulate just the right reaction sometimes!
lets see, wait and hope for the best
cheers
sb

Quote:
shankar.balan: Sir, I'd heard the 1.2 was due for release, so I surmise tis that being advertised. I saw the ad as well and you didn't miss the fine print- there wasn't any!! It is unlikely they could bring the diesel down to such a price point, but you never know. Competition can make miracles happen.
Old 22nd April 2008, 10:36   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
Yes, that was indeed the 1.2. I recently got a chance to drive both the 1.4L and 1.2L petrol. I was complaining to the dealer that Skoda is hardly pushing it's petrols - as if they don't have much confidence in them. The dealer told me that they had a recent Ad for the 1.2 petrol.

It's called the 1.2 HTP - High Torque Petrol according to ACI. I have no idea what the torque figure is though. Neither did the dealer (Vinayak).
CBlazer: bit much to ask as it was only a test drive, but how did the 1.2 go? Any special 'torque' in evidence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
thanks v much
you never know, as you said, but competition can stimulate just the right reaction sometimes!
lets see, wait and hope for the best
cheers
sb
shankar.balan: Sir, we've all got our fingers crossed. I'd be happy to see- in fact would welcome a Euro-manufacturer that gives the slant-eyes a run-for-their-money. Not that the Nippon/KimChi chaps aren't doing a good job bringing value for money as well as advanced technology/quality to the public, but they shouldn't become complacent.
Fiat didn't have a good run, and it seems Skoda could be the only serious contender aside from the creamy layer comprising of the Audis, VWs, BMWs and such like. Perhaps the Fords qualify (I don't know if they originate in Europe...).

Take care
RG
Old 22nd April 2008, 10:40   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post
actually my cousin was driving it , i am suffering broken hand so couldn't drive ......he managed around 160kph, she is absolutely stable very little body roll handling is also very good i will confirm this when i get to drive it .......we were four of us......there is zero engine knock when the ac is on , the drive was super fun cant wait to do it again............hey netchef i suggest you rip it now and then its good for the engine dont worry about the FE... please refer to the how to run-in your car thread ......

ps : i have driven the swift d and i think in terms of handling the fabia is better no offense to the swift d its a scorcher of a car

Sir, 160 is WOW. I know I've got to open her up a bit now and then, but she's mostly run in city traffic- just those two early highway drives to stretch her legs. I'm not concerned too much about FE.
Nice to have your inputs, mate.

MODS: I didn't see this post on the previous page when I just posted- please merge them.
Old 22nd April 2008, 23:54   #170
BHPian

Quote:
CBlazer: bit much to ask as it was only a test drive, but how did the 1.2 go? Any special 'torque' in evidence?
RG
Well, since I drove both the 1.4 and the 1.2, I definitely felt that there was a lot of torque at the low end on the 1.2. I did not do any serious testing other than driving it around in traffic. Both felt easy enough to drive around in traffic, more so the 1.2. It felt more fun to drive, if I may call it so.

The 1.4 felt underpowered with the AC on. I could see a sharp difference. I couldn't make it to very high speeds given that I was driving with a lot of traffic around. The TAFE folks claimed that the engine would improve after the first 1000 km and that it was quite powerful contrary to the impression I got.

The petrols were very silent, hardly any noise heard in the cabin. The 1.2 was noisier when revved. No, I won't compare it with the TDI .
Old 23rd April 2008, 10:54   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Well, since I drove both the 1.4 and the 1.2, I definitely felt that there was a lot of torque at the low end on the 1.2. I did not do any serious testing other than driving it around in traffic. Both felt easy enough to drive around in traffic, more so the 1.2. It felt more fun to drive, if I may call it so.

The 1.4 felt underpowered with the AC on. I could see a sharp difference. I couldn't make it to very high speeds given that I was driving with a lot of traffic around. The TAFE folks claimed that the engine would improve after the first 1000 km and that it was quite powerful contrary to the impression I got.

The petrols were very silent, hardly any noise heard in the cabin. The 1.2 was noisier when revved. No, I won't compare it with the TDI .
CBlazer: Thanks, sir. It's most unusual- to me- that the smaller engine should have more oomph, so they must have done their homework. I'm sure they were refined too, but would you say as elegant in the NVH department as say a petrol Optra? Or a Baleno? Where would you place it compared with other 6-lakh petrols?
For me the price bracket impresses. If it can carve out a niche for itself from the pie that comprises the market of the others in its class, and even slightly above its class, that would work for Skoda. That might imbue to it a whole new market dynamic as well. Then, Czech Mate as they say!
Old 23rd April 2008, 15:04   #172
BHPian

Quote:
CBlazer: Thanks, sir. It's most unusual- to me- that the smaller engine should have more oomph, so they must have done their homework. I'm sure they were refined too, but would you say as elegant in the NVH department as say a petrol Optra? Or a Baleno? Where would you place it compared with other 6-lakh petrols?
For me the price bracket impresses. If it can carve out a niche for itself from the pie that comprises the market of the others in its class, and even slightly above its class, that would work for Skoda. That might imbue to it a whole new market dynamic as well. Then, Czech Mate as they say!
The engines are quite refined. The cabin noise was negligible in the 1.4. But I don't think the Fabia petrol can be a winner just on the basis of it's engine, handling abilities. It's the complete package that will impress. What made me look at the 1.4 MPI was a combination of spec (pretty good torque figures, decent power on paper) and the features (it's only available in the Elegance variant). It's available for about 8L on road in Bangalore. Definitely expensive, but makes more sense to me than the 1.2 Ambiente(at 7L on road).
Old 23rd April 2008, 15:09   #173
BHPian

Quote:
The engines are quite refined. The cabin noise was negligible in the 1.4. But I don't think the Fabia petrol can be a winner just on the basis of it's engine, handling abilities. It's the complete package that will impress. What made me look at the 1.4 MPI was a combination of spec (pretty good torque figures, decent power on paper) and the features (it's only available in the Elegance variant). It's available for about 8L on road in Bangalore. Definitely expensive, but makes more sense to me than the 1.2 Ambiente(at 7L on road).
Ah, so the 1.2 costs 7 lakhs on road. That's a tad steep.
Old 23rd April 2008, 15:53   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Ah, so the 1.2 costs 7 lakhs on road. That's a tad steep.
Well they do have other variants. Here are the exact on road prices.

Active 1.2 MPI 5.78
Classic 1.2 MPI 6.19
Ambiente 1.2 MPI 6.87
Old 24th April 2008, 11:23   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Well they do have other variants. Here are the exact on road prices.

Active 1.2 MPI 5.78
Classic 1.2 MPI 6.19
Ambiente 1.2 MPI 6.87
CBlazer: Thanks. Wonder how the 5.78 (for a 1.2 litre) compares with what's neighing in the Fiat/Tata/HyundaiChevy stables. Would you have a fix?
Old 24th April 2008, 11:50   #176
BHPian

Today Times Of India had an ad, Fabia at 5Lac ex-showroom for Akshaya Tirthee (sorry I don't exactly remember that festival name). I don't what variants they are.
Old 24th April 2008, 14:20   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
Today Times Of India had an ad, Fabia at 5Lac ex-showroom for Akshaya Tirthee (sorry I don't exactly remember that festival name). I don't what variants they are.
Opendro: Yes, Sir. I spied that one. They seem intentionally vague about disclosing specs, intent perhaps on luring people to the showroom where they could be converted/inveigled/coerced into making a purchase.
Old 24th April 2008, 15:28   #178
BHPian

Quote:
CBlazer: Thanks. Wonder how the 5.78 (for a 1.2 litre) compares with what's neighing in the Fiat/Tata/HyundaiChevy stables. Would you have a fix?
I'm afraid I don't know much about the prices of the other cars. It seems to be close to the price of Aveo UVA LT (with option pack). Since the Active doesn't even offer power windows, it definitely is expensive.

Quote:
Opendro: Yes, Sir. I spied that one. They seem intentionally vague about disclosing specs, intent perhaps on luring people to the showroom where they could be converted/inveigled/coerced into making a purchase.
There is some fine print below which says that the offer is only on 1.2L petrols. For a fact the ex-showroom price of the Active 1.2 is already 5L. Are they giving a 78K discount on the on road price? Some price correction maybe. I heard they are also giving discounts on the Octavia.

Last edited by CBlazer : 24th April 2008 at 15:40. Reason: Corrected error.
Old 24th April 2008, 15:53   #179
BHPian

I was right. There is no offer on the Fabia Active 1.2. It's just a gimmick to get people interested. They are just stating that you can get a Skoda Fabia for as less as 5L.
Old 24th April 2008, 16:04   #180
BHPian

Quote:
I was right. There is no offer on the Fabia Active 1.2. It's just a gimmick to get people interested. They are just stating that you can get a Skoda Fabia for as less as 5L.
Ah. If they are offering 'specials' on the Octavia, perhaps its time has come.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks