Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2008, 10:30   #61
Senior - BHPian

If security is a concern for you, get a gear lock.

It gives additional protection and cannot be tampered easily. I would say it is a must if you park your vehicle on the road. You will find a thread on the same in the Modifications and Accessories section.
Old 6th March 2008, 10:39   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
Rs.3500 is not that high dude. But you could also try an outside skilled painter and inquire few of your friends before doing it. I feel sorry for your car. Cheer up Man . As they say , the more you get hurt , the more you start loving it .
:-) cheery words.
Last time I contemplated a paint job was to jazz up my Cielo. Never got around to it, but ran the idea by some 'art' pals to sex it up with a camouflage job, or something hallucinatory-shocking in pink or whatever. They didn't respond quick enough, and by then the car was sold.
Old 6th March 2008, 10:43   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
Its present in many cars.
1) It tells you that the security system is activated
2) Acts as a visual deterrent to potential jackers

Not sure about the Fabia, but my Octy has an alarm and immobilizer.
ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karandeep81 View Post
That's a norm for company fitted security systems. Dont worry about it. The alarm will be acitvated when required. The light just indicates that the system is working.
sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
If security is a concern for you, get a gear lock.

It gives additional protection and cannot be tampered easily. I would say it is a must if you park your vehicle on the road. You will find a thread on the same in the Modifications and Accessories section.
Security not really a concern. I'll simply claim from the insurance firm if she's stolen. Was just trying to get a fix on what she was loaded with. I remember a steering wheel lock from years ago...didn't know there were similar 'physical' locks still going strong.
Old 6th March 2008, 10:52   #64
BHPian

The Welcome Kit, Lubes etc.

I received a letter from the dealer, yesterday, the gist of which was to welcome me to the fold, and assuring me of superior and dedicated service blah blah (written by a copywriter not unlike myself, no doubt).
It carried the name and number of a Service Advisor that I wish I had when the plastic surgery requirement came up.

Anyway, and strangely, the GM's cover letter had a sheet attached which listed all Skoda models and the recommended type of lubricants against each (Skoda only endorses Shell lubes in India).
To answer someone's query, the Fabia diesel must run only synthetic lubes.

ps. "assimilated" spellings, copywriter, spellings
Old 6th March 2008, 11:09   #65
Senior - BHPian

@ Netchef - All Skodas MUST have a fully synthetic diet! Under the hood you might even find a Shell Helix sticker!
Old 6th March 2008, 14:19   #66
BHPian

netchef pics been a long wait now
Old 7th March 2008, 10:58   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karandeep81 View Post
netchef pics been a long wait now

As soon as she is back from the paint shop, Sir. I haven't forgotten.
Old 7th March 2008, 16:37   #68
BHPian

How is the engine noise?

Hey, as many people are complaining- is engine noise high? Is it intrusive? Whats your take on that?
Some people even compared it to old metador vans etc. I know its too much. But, want to see whats your experience...
Old 7th March 2008, 22:44   #69
Senior - BHPian

How is the car after the paint job?
Old 8th March 2008, 21:55   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

hope the paint job came out well..

drive safe :-)

Old 9th March 2008, 16:12   #71
Senior - BHPian

Hey congrats on your new car dude.
O.T:All the reviews i've heard are about the diesel version, anybody driven the petrol one?? Has it been launched yet? Coz, i've not seen a single one to date!
Old 10th March 2008, 14:33   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallikarjun View Post
Hey, as many people are complaining- is engine noise high? Is it intrusive? Whats your take on that?
Some people even compared it to old metador vans etc. I know its too much. But, want to see whats your experience...

Writing about it next, Mallikarjun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
How is the car after the paint job?
Coming up, PatienceWins/Androdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
hope the paint job came out well..

drive safe :-)

YouTube - Skoda Fabia 2007 crash test
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Hey congrats on your new car dude.
O.T:All the reviews i've heard are about the diesel version, anybody driven the petrol one?? Has it been launched yet? Coz, i've not seen a single one to date!
Thanks, mate.
Old 10th March 2008, 14:52   #73
Senior - BHPian

Congrats netchef . .So the fireblade makes way for a skoda ?

Pics pics, this thread is worthless without pics .
Old 10th March 2008, 15:05   #74
BHPian

Paint your wagon, etc

Gentlemen..she's back all dolled-up and looking pretty. First things first: since we were discussing the charges, this is what I was slapped with by Monsieurs TAFE abd their Limited Bros. The basic cost of repainting a door was Rs. 4000/- (inspite of their lady on the phone telling me it was Rs 3500), to which were added taxes and Collection/Delivery (Rs 300). Then came Rs 400 for a full body wash, and Rs 1200 for a full body polish (that I opted for). So, excluding delivery and other supplementary charges, the paint job cost about Rs 5000. Total hole in wallet? Rs 6700. And to have to pay that much having already suffered the ignominy of damage to a week-old car was perhaps an overload to the system. I did not lay a claim on my Insurer either.

The Quality of the Job:
My chief concern all along was their ability to match the colour, and I hounded them right thru the entire time they had the car with shades of apprehension pointed at every Tom, Dinesh and Harry I could get on the other end of my call. I MUSt say they did an excellent job in this respect. I stood the car in direct sunshine as well as inspected it in the shade, and the door seemed to match every adjoining panel perfectly. So full marks there.

The Let Down:
The tinkering and painting were well executed but there is a slight abrasion scar beneath the clear coat and just to the edges of the area worked upon that's roughly 3-4 inches from one side of the original scratch--as though the base coat or filler was not sanded out evenly. And it's discernable to the close-inspecting naked eye but not overly obtrusive. I raised the matter with their point man Dinesh and he promised to redo it to my satisfaction. That means another round of tension/BP/Heebie-Jeebies while my baby is entrusted to the questionable driving abilities of a total stranger, the same workshop for another go at her ...and so much more. Maybe, just maybe, it's not worth the stress and I'll live with it. Only time will tell how I feel about it, but I'll have to act fast if I want to cash in on 'free' correction.

The Silence of the Lambs
In respnse to the NVH question someone asked:
Tractor is EXTREME and definitely an exaggeration unless that particular Fabia ran cow dung in the engine and had been assembled by a blind butcher. Like I said before, she makes no secret of the fact she's a diesel, but she's not in the league of a Verna for sure. Din and resonance are absent in the cabin, but the engine's acoustics could have been better damped at idle. Once past idle, the Fabia is fine. Mellow music is not impinged upon enough that you need to strain your ears or programme 'filters' into your listening. Hit a slight incline and load the engine and she's much more refined.
ps. I drove a friend's circa 1996 Benz 250 diesel the other day, and my Fabia beats her hands down. I guess she rates somewhere along the scale between that Benz and the ultra-advanced post-modernist Verna. And closer to the Verna.
Old 10th March 2008, 15:09   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Congrats netchef . .So the fireblade makes way for a skoda ?

Pics pics, this thread is worthless without pics .
Strained the personal finances and callenged the exchequer to the point of abject penury...but I've retained my Blade. Not a cent left in the world now :-)

Hope to have pics by the day after tomorrow, Black12RR

Most Viewed