Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2008, 11:21   #106
BHPian

Crash Test Dummies

Androdev had kindly posted a link to a Skoda Fabia undergoing crash testing (YouTube) that I just managed to view, and I have some questions for the forum:

It is impressive that all versions of the Fabia are supplied with dual airbags. That sounded to me very much like the Arai philosophy articulated by its Chairman years ago that his company made just one standard in helmets- ie. complying with one safety level, the highest, as they knew of only one type of human head!! Fantastic, isn't it. Since 'quality' in the case of helmets defines an approach to life value, they refuse to offer downgraded versions to a price.
So, the Fabia safety systems on the Indian car made heaps of sense. However, the crash test shows a side airbag inflating in the side-on impact test. Has that been shelved for the our third world offering? I'm sure they'd have shouted it from the rooftops had it been furnished.

Does anyone know of other safety features on the Indian Fabia- telescoping steering column? Impact bars in the doors? Oxygen masks that drop from the ceiling or Foot controls that turn to jelly?

Thanks, Androdev.
Old 13th March 2008, 11:56   #107
BHPian

@Netchef, good pics, finally!
I,so far, have seen only grey(?) in flesh..This colour looks better, atleast for me.
Good seat covers too!
Old 13th March 2008, 12:26   #108
Senior - BHPian

Nice pictures. Thanks
The seat covers suit the car.
So far I have seen only white Fabia in flesh. You car looks good.
The problem with the paint job is not noticeable from the picture.
Old 13th March 2008, 13:42   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by menonrajesh View Post
@Netchef, good pics, finally!
I,so far, have seen only grey(?) in flesh..This colour looks better, atleast for me.
Good seat covers too!
I've seen black on the roads, and white & red in the showroom. All three colours did the car justice, though white might have been my only other choice. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Nice pictures. Thanks
The seat covers suit the car.
So far I have seen only white Fabia in flesh. You car looks good.
The problem with the paint job is not noticeable from the picture.
Welcome, Sir. Took me a while but a promise is a promise.
Old 13th March 2008, 16:00   #110
BHPian

looks really nice,,, more pics of the interior pls
Old 14th March 2008, 11:44   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcanthisbe View Post
looks really nice,,, more pics of the interior pls
Whatcanthisbe...thanks. Many requests for more pics but it is a bit of a logistical hurdle. Shall try me best.
Old 14th March 2008, 15:23   #112
BHPian

netchef what is that switch for in front of the gear lever? rear windows ?
Old 14th March 2008, 15:46   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karandeep81 View Post
netchef what is that switch for in front of the gear lever? rear windows ?
Sorry Karandeep81, you had asked me before. Truth of the matter is I don't really know. They had explained it but the grey cells have their limitations

Shall ascertain the next time I bump into the flunkies of Monsieurs TAFE and Bros.
Old 14th March 2008, 20:07   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

netchef: Following airbag options are available in vehicles these days.

driver + passenger front airbags
driver + passenger side airbags (integrated in seats)
curtain airbags (integrated into A, C pillar,etc on both sides)
rear seat side airbags (integrated in seats)
driver + passenger knee protection aribags

Fabia here has the first two only I think, which protect during a frontal crash, but not for lateral/side crash. Unfortunately in India, airbags are equated with "segment" of the car. Even on this forum, you hear everyone craving for ABS but not for airbags. The mighty corolla HE comes with ABS but not airbags. People wonder why Fabia comes with airbags but no ABS. Go figure.
Old 17th March 2008, 11:34   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
netchef: Following airbag options are available in vehicles these days.

driver + passenger front airbags
driver + passenger side airbags (integrated in seats)
curtain airbags (integrated into A, C pillar,etc on both sides)
rear seat side airbags (integrated in seats)
driver + passenger knee protection aribags

Fabia here has the first two only I think, which protect during a frontal crash, but not for lateral/side crash. Unfortunately in India, airbags are equated with "segment" of the car. Even on this forum, you hear everyone craving for ABS but not for airbags. The mighty corolla HE comes with ABS but not airbags. People wonder why Fabia comes with airbags but no ABS. Go figure.
True, ABS is popular. How much does the functioning of ABS depend on the tyres on the car?
Old 18th March 2008, 12:41   #116
BHPian

The gear change

I like the Fabia's gear shift but that's neither here nor there. Lets say it's different from the cars I've driven. Firstly, it's modern. By that I mean I've noticed a palpable shift in the way gear shifting has been delivered to the modern Joe Public. The old shift mechanisms were 'thick' and very metallic and clunky. Decidedly clunky. They required effort, and in the case of some as the Ambassador column shift, even muscle. The old gear changers made you feel like you were dipping a reluctant arm directly into whirring gears and actually pulling a lever and clicking a dog. Made you feel like you'd come away without a few fingers. Shamefully raw. There's been a transition to what we have in today's cars, and it's welcome. So, the Fabia gear change is better than a Maruti 800, or an Esteem (more precise than either). it's slicker and less overwhelming than a Mercedes E220 diesel and a Jeep (I don't mean anything by clubbing those two together). It's like silk compared with the jute of a Santro...the Santro has a lovely short throw and the lever falls neatly to hand, but the Fabia offers better feel, and less metal.

While there is a hint of 'rubber' cushioning, it's not enough to make the changer get rubbery and vague; it's akin to plunging a lever into compliant plasticene. Yet, it's easy enough to move from ratio to ratio that a supervised child could do it with finesse.
The Fabia shift is remote enough from the spinning cogs not to transmit vibration and discomfort to the driver, but it's not so remote that you feel you are fishing for gears in some far off abyss. Some cars I've driven have this terribly disconcerting way of leaving you unsure as to what gear ratio you have selected, or worse, sure of what was on offer, but clueless as to what you will get. Happily, the Fabia system can be relied on.

It's a Driver's Box
It's precise. It's quick. It's got immense feel. Diesels do work at a slower pace, so I wonder what this box will be like mated to a petrol (any feedback on the Fabia petrol is useful here (if she has the same box, of course).
Old 18th March 2008, 13:05   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
They required effort, and in the case of some as the Ambassador column shift, even muscle. The old gear changers made you feel like you were dipping a reluctant arm directly into whirring gears and actually pulling a lever and clicking a dog. .
I agree with that . Driving an old Amby requires lot of effort. I drove the car once and gosh , i started feeling the pain in my arms after driving for some 60kms . I had to take pain killer tablets .
Old 18th March 2008, 13:05   #118
Senior - BHPian

@netchef,

I am following this thread closely not because I have any idea about buying a Fabia (at least, not at present). It is solely because I really like the way you write. I wish I had your writing skills. It is a pleasure to read your posts.

If someone were to ask me to describe a gearbox, I would not even have conveyed half of what you did in your previous post.

Cheers to good English,
Old 18th March 2008, 16:14   #119
BHPian

Great review

Netchef,
Great review and lovely expressions. waiting for more from you.
Old 18th March 2008, 18:40   #120
BHPian

I had to take pain killer tablets .[/quote]

Hee hee Undead

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
@netchef,

I am following this thread closely not because I have any idea about buying a Fabia (at least, not at present). It is solely because I really like the way you write. I wish I had your writing skills. It is a pleasure to read your posts.

If someone were to ask me to describe a gearbox, I would not even have conveyed half of what you did in your previous post.

Cheers to good English,
DeepakHon...kind of you. I'm just glad my posts finds people like you at the other end- I could not have hoped for a better audience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vennarbank View Post
Netchef,
Great review and lovely expressions. waiting for more from you.
VennarBank: Yes, Sir. coming up. Thank-you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks