Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2008, 12:51   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bIte tHe bulLet View Post
dude,

okay - the lx vs ex debate can rage forever, so i will not add to it. what i will do is put my reasons down for picking up the lx even though the ex was in budget.

let me reiterate as at the outset, these are MY individual reasons and not reflective of everyones choices. take your time and make yours wisely!
Needless to say.. Awesome pics and I am bitten by the Safari bug!
Did you consider the Grande at all? If yes, can you throw some light on your decision?
Old 26th March 2008, 12:57   #77
Senior - BHPian

LoL ,sorry but his brother is in bombay.

Got the tail lights smoked with the help of my local denter/painter.
Basically one coat of matt black paint and then some clear coat and your done.
You can also buy readymade smoke spray cans from the market..
Your safari would look killer with smoked tail lamps.
Old 26th March 2008, 12:58   #78
BHPian

congrats man...good color...welcome to the beast group
Old 26th March 2008, 19:42   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
Needless to say.. Awesome pics and I am bitten by the Safari bug!
Did you consider the Grande at all? If yes, can you throw some light on your decision?
thanks druva,

i'm glad to see YET another safari nut!!

i did like what i saw of the grande, but it was never a serious contender because:

1. it was still in the process of being launched while i was in the process of buying! i was unwilling to wait many months for a delivery.

2. the reasons why i was upgrading to a bigger diesel were that i needed the extra space a bigger boot offered, with the added advantage of an suv platform.

3. the grande is v1 at this point and i still don't trust tata v1's. agreed that the safari 2.2 is also v1, but apart from the engine, everything else is tried and tested.

4. there's a certain fluidity to the safari's lines and contours which makes her a surprisingly sexy but butch looking machine. she has really aged well, considering that this is over a 10 year old design!

5. silly but true, there is also the mental block against the sumo brand and i just like the way the safari sits. period.

cheers dude.
Old 26th March 2008, 19:48   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
LoL ,sorry but his brother is in bombay.

Got the tail lights smoked with the help of my local denter/painter.
Basically one coat of matt black paint and then some clear coat and your done.
You can also buy readymade smoke spray cans from the market..
Your safari would look killer with smoked tail lamps.
damn!!

i like the way the smoked lamps look, but does the coat of matt paint not peal away after a while and also, how bright are the tail lamps at night? (when they really matter!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by babureddy View Post
congrats man...good color...welcome to the beast group

thanks babu,

"beauty...beauty" - look at her.... how can anyone call her a beast!! come on man!

thanks max,

this is just what i said in my last post - she has aged, but like a good wine!!! i plan on enjoying "maadi" !

cheers dudes,.

Last edited by bIte tHe bulLet : 26th March 2008 at 19:51. Reason: needed to say hi to max!!!
Old 26th March 2008, 19:48   #81
Senior - BHPian

Awesome Purchase bite the bullet . Pics speak a thousand words. This is one car that hasnt aged a bit. One of the best Tata design and a gypsy's yacht .
Enjoy maadi !
Old 26th March 2008, 21:35   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i like the way the smoked lamps look, but does the coat of matt paint not peal away after a while and also, how bright are the tail lamps at night? (when they really matter!!)
Well i got them smoked last year but the paint has still not pealed at all.
Brightness is almost same as the stock lamps but that depends on the quality of the paint job/number of coats.
Check out the following thread for more info....

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...blackened.html

Since your from delhi you can contact/PM fellow bhpian Autopsyche for the job.

Cheers
Old 27th March 2008, 09:38   #83
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanks adc - you were one of the pioneers of the 2.2 and your posts were followed with much enthusiasm!! hope your babe is doing well and that you have managed a couple more trips out with her?

Oh yes, the VTT-TMT is doing perfectly ok given the way I have been using it from the next day itself - no hiccups, no false starts, no missing a beat - it has done now 7.5 k km with 2 major rides and a number of small rides, and the ride is still a glide.

I was fully apprehensive, taken aback my so called horror stories when I went for it so early but then this is a product that aptly marks the new resurgence of TATA. In fact overall all new 2.2 onwers do have a very satisfactory ownership experience till date and thats a big thumbs down to all the naysayers.

Quote:
but coming from an army household
Oh before I forget may be later on need your contacts for me to proceed beyond Mangan, Sikkim, for onward journey to Yumgthang/Gurudongmar - just a pointer to my next big journey this summer probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
How to acquire permits in Sikkim?

Now this is million dollar question and the most disturbing one when you plan for Sikkim , specially North Sikkim. Since sikkim has borders with China ,it’s a highly sensitive area and entry is totally restricted. Sikkim police issues separate permits to enter both Nathula and North Sikkim respectively. But Sikkim police is very strict in issuing permits to people who want to explore Sikkim on their own private vehicles. Frankly speaking Sikkim police doesn’t like the idea of issuing permits to a group of bikers who want to go on their own, because if something happens to the bikers Sikkim police is not much interested to take their responsibility.
We approached Indian Army and could convince them about our plan for our whole trip. They were a little skeptical about the whole idea but agreed after requesting them. Once army was convinced getting the permits from police was child’s play. I would like to point out here that be sure about acquiring the permits before you venture for North Sikkim.

Would wait for the day as of now for going beyond Mangan [Gurudongmar and Yumthang] by self drive - as it looks like good contacts are inevitable.

Last edited by adc : 27th March 2008 at 09:51.
adc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2008, 09:56   #84
adc
Senior - BHPian

And do keep a tab on an odd loose wheel nut and/or a loose battery cable - this one especially. These two areas are where the service people do not tighten properly before giving it to the customer.
Old 27th March 2008, 11:10   #85
BHPian

Congrats bite the bullet !! Your 2.2 looks super cool in the black
And those alloys+tyres combo -> WOW!!

I have seen many people buying ford endy for a huge amount but still the safari easily is a head turner than the endy.... good choice my friend!!

One Q?? Can you have the stock 235 tyres on the Alloys which you have installed ?

You will know why i am asking this question very soon
Old 29th March 2008, 07:54   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
And do keep a tab on an odd loose wheel nut and/or a loose battery cable - this one especially. These two areas are where the service people do not tighten properly before giving it to the customer.
thanks for the heads up adc, i will keep a track of these 2! i need to actually call up the TASS guys and figure out of my pulley needs to be changed as well and then, i shall also take it in for the 1k km service as well.

i'm glad your beast of burden is getting a good ol' workout! take care man and drive safe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
Congrats bite the bullet !! Your 2.2 looks super cool in the black
And those alloys+tyres combo -> WOW!!

I have seen many people buying ford endy for a huge amount but still the safari easily is a head turner than the endy.... good choice my friend!!

One Q?? Can you have the stock 235 tyres on the Alloys which you have installed ?

You will know why i am asking this question very soon
hey chaxy,

thanks dude. yeah i'm, "pleased as punch!" with my safari AND the choice of colour!

okay, i'm only guessing here but, "You've booked and are waiting for your own little beauty" aren't you??? i can only say congrats in advance and i'm sure you'll do the honours with pictures etc as and when she arrives eh? what colour and what date?

i do think the 235's fit onto these wheels, but a tyre upsize is reccomended since the wheel width increases from 6.5J on the stock to 7J on these aftermarkets. so have your wheel guy confirm!

also, please be aware that there are fake HR's flooded in the market, so be sure of what you are picking up. an identical design to this, exists in plati as well - the advantage of that is that, parts of the alloy are also painted into a matt black - so it looks pretty cool. BUT the finish on these particular platis are not as nice as the original HR's.

let me know if there is anything else i can help you with man.

cheers and welcome to the world of the safari...
Old 29th March 2008, 17:11   #87
BHPian

Thanks for the info Bite. You guess right, i am almost about to press the green button on the purchase. 2day i SOLD a piece of my heart, my 2002 BOLERO (seen in the pic) for Rs 3L to a very lucky buyer. Now i am planning for pearl white EX. Will surely come out with all that once things take the final shape. So i am currently doing all r&d for Safari.

Its interesting how i got bitten by then 2.2 bug. I had almost zeroed on the Innova till about 2 mts back and i started reading about the 2.2 from all members like yourself and this made me curious. So i called for a testdrive and then it all changed..... Altho innova is much refined and good vfm car, i liked the safari for the new power, sheer image its got and the feeling that goes with it. today innova is out and 2.2 is no 1. on the buy list....
Old 29th March 2008, 17:36   #88
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations buddy! Enjoy and drive safe.
Old 29th March 2008, 18:18   #89
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
We had already taken a TD of innova as well, so comparison kicked in and safari got kicked out :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
today innova is out and 2.2 is no 1. on the buy list....

Score settled.

BTW, congrats to both of you.

Last edited by adc : 29th March 2008 at 18:34.
Old 29th March 2008, 22:24   #90
BHPian

well chosen chaxy, do not delay now, press the green button twice :-) was driving the bolero before the safari too, the comfort of the safari just can't be put down in words.. you got to experience it and then there'd be no looking back i am pretty sure.. handling would not be like the bolero, which really dance, but you'd find yourself on another high that's for sure.
cheers to your decision.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks