Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2008, 16:43   #106
Senior - BHPian

bite_the_bullet, congrats on your new ride.

seems like the safari rain is back in TBHP! :-)
Old 3rd April 2008, 12:56   #107
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase after such long wait. It was worth waiting. One of the most beautiful pics of the "beauty" you have posted and like all safari owners and fans , you are so passionate about it- thats what makes it so special. Also the after market fittings and ICE that you got is a good long list.

I know that before, I walk into the dealership- I ll have my shopping list ready with help of you guys -Abu, JK, Suman and list goes on. Thanks for keeping the post updated. Hope you will add more here.

After reading comments on black colour, could you suggest any alternate colour- if I am not such a big fan of a black beauty? Only I wish that it should look as georgeous and lovely. And yes I too agree that this may be a beauty though we like to call it a beast!
Old 3rd April 2008, 12:57   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
Congratulations on your purchase after such long wait. It was worth waiting. One of the most beautiful pics of the "beauty" you have posted and like all safari owners and fans , you are so passionate about it- thats what makes it so special. Also the after market fittings and ICE that you got is a good long list.

I know that before, I walk into the dealership- I ll have my shopping list ready with help of you guys -Abu, JK, Suman and list goes on. Thanks for keeping the post updated. Hope you will add more here.

After reading comments on black colour, could you suggest any alternate colour- if I am not such a big fan of a black beauty? Only I wish that it should look as georgeous and lovely. And yes I too agree that this may be a beauty though we like to call it a beast!
Alternate colors to black would be Pearl White, Arctic Silver, Cycus Grey IMHO.
Old 3rd April 2008, 23:51   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
bite_the_bullet, congrats on your new ride.

seems like the safari rain is back in TBHP! :-)
hey happywheels,

thanks for the wishes dude - haven't been here long enough to know whether this is a passing shower or a thunderstorm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post

hey shatrughana,

the cycus grey is interesting and there is a nice looking light grey colour as well. or then you could plonk for the eternal teambhp favourite - pearl white!!!

if you like loud, you can't beat the bright red for attention, but she looks fantastic on the road. frankly, i think the safari carries MOST colours pretty well... go with your heart, not the head!

cheers. cheers:
Old 4th April 2008, 00:28   #110
BHPian

guys,

1st service done at 965 kms. noise in the front of the steering wheel within dashboard rectified and small niggles sorted (so far)

tomorrow morning, she leaves with all 4 of us on board for rishikesh at 4:15 am!! 1st bit of serious highway driving - shall update whoevers interested on how she fared!!

really looking forward to letting her stretch her legs man. keb mo on the speakers, long open highway in front - gorgeous woman by your side; what more can you want eh??!!
Old 4th April 2008, 00:43   #111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bIte tHe bulLet View Post
gorgeous woman by your side; what more can you want eh??!!
Your wife not to find out
Old 4th April 2008, 05:41   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Your wife not to find out

he he he he...

it helps when the woman in question happens to be the wife as well....!!

cheers dude!
Old 4th April 2008, 14:21   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bIte tHe bulLet View Post

tomorrow morning, she leaves with all 4 of us on board for rishikesh at 4:15 am!! 1st bit of serious highway driving - shall update whoevers interested on how she fared!!
have taken by beast to Rishikesh twice. you'll really enjoy the drive. beware of the narrow roads/lanes within Rishikesh. got my first scratch on the bumper there. best to stick to the main road- learnt it the hard way.

cheers
Old 4th April 2008, 19:34   #114
BHPian

yes any color and the safari has the lines to carry it well.

do not know if it is my eyes playing with me or what, there are 4 safaris in my office parking lot, a cycus, a pearl, a older generation violet kind of color and my black. the pearl is ex, rest lx. somehow the pearl and the cycus look slightly taller, i mean the bonnet looks to be at least 2" higher than mine, stock tires i checked, only need to park next someday and see if my eyes are alright :-)

getting a slight screeching sound while braking normally from front left, like when the brake shoes harden on drums, but calipers giving off sound.. is something wrong?

Last edited by aburagohain : 4th April 2008 at 19:35.
Old 5th April 2008, 12:09   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
yes any color and the safari has the lines to carry it well.

do not know if it is my eyes playing with me or what, there are 4 safaris in my office parking lot, a cycus, a pearl, a older generation violet kind of color and my black. the pearl is ex, rest lx. somehow the pearl and the cycus look slightly taller, i mean the bonnet looks to be at least 2" higher than mine, stock tires i checked, only need to park next someday and see if my eyes are alright :-)

getting a slight screeching sound while braking normally from front left, like when the brake shoes harden on drums, but calipers giving off sound.. is something wrong?
white always makes things look bigger than black. One reason why most celebrities prefer to wear black as it makes them look lean.

Black cars always look smaller then their white counterparts....
Old 6th April 2008, 22:53   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbobo View Post
have taken by beast to Rishikesh twice. you'll really enjoy the drive. beware of the narrow roads/lanes within Rishikesh. got my first scratch on the bumper there. best to stick to the main road- learnt it the hard way.

cheers

i've been to rishikesh countless times as a friend owns a rafting outfit there. just that this trip was complete chill out... only problem was the damn drive back - it took us all of 8 hours to do 265 kms - i could have killed someone

as for scratches - thats why the decision to keep the bumpers gray - the scratches don't stab you in the heart!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
white always makes things look bigger than black. One reason why most celebrities prefer to wear black as it makes them look lean.

Black cars always look smaller then their white counterparts....
i agree chaxy - white looks bigger and black is the lean choice! congrats on your new WHITE ride dude!!!

cheers cheers:
Old 12th April 2008, 15:59   #117
BHPian

hello all.

been away for a while so thought it was time to update the thread here...

been back from rishikesh a couple of days. as the car was still being run in - i behaved well with her and never went above 2500 rpm - which roughly translated to about 110 odd kph on the highway... all i can say is that she is a gem to drive on the highway!! she is easily the best long distance cruiser we have in India, this side of 10 lakhs...

we were laden with 2 adults / 2 children (one in a car seat) and the entire gamut of stuff that needs to be carried on holiday with 2 kids!!! the safari ate up the miles, sailed over potholes and comfortably cosseted us on the entire journey back and forth over 800 kms in 3 days. because of the run in - the engine was never pushed, so it all felt very civilised and reined in!!

mind you, while driving in the hills - i never had to drop into 2nd to take a climb if i had carried the correct amount of speed into the climb to start with. so while i drove - the safari stayed in the 3rd/4th and at times even in the 5th gear. the wife decided that she also wanted to get into the action and the fact that she drove the truck in the hills speaks volumes about the amount of confidence it inspires amongst the fairer sex!!

after THAT trip, we needed to make a quick business trip down to jaipur for a day (left in the morning and back by the evening) so what better excuse than to take the black beauty eh?!

now - this time, it was 1700 on the odometer so i made the executive decision to have completed the run in period!! since the road to jaipur is gorgeous, i was really looking forward to driving there and back - i also let the engine really stretch its legs when the opportunity presented itself...

and oh boy, did she answer! to begin with, the engine felt a little tight at around the 2300-2400 rpm mark and the engine noise had a distinct strain to it , after crossing 2500, the noise settled down. assuming that there is a 10% error built into the speedo, i hit 155 on the speedo a couple of times - so adjusting for the error, i'd safely say i was doing 140+.... with the ac on full blast and the music going like a banshee

on the way back, the engine sound quality had changed to a muted growl and now the tightness seemed to have almost disappeared. i effortlessly drove at 140 on the speedo and as a matter of fact, a psycho innova taxi driver decided he wanted to play tag. i ignored him for almost 20 kms and let him overtake whenever he wanted to - i do not condone nor encourage rash speeding, so i was not remotely interested in seeing who could p** the farthest... HOWEVER after a point when he started to reaallllly tick me off - i let him have it on an long, beautifully open stretch of highway!!!

Lets just say - we did not see him again, except as a little silver speck VERRRRRYYYYY far back in the horizon, for a very short while!!

anyone still in two minds about this engine - rest assured, this one is what is going to turn the tide for tata. go right ahead and take the plunge - you will not regret it!

cheers guys.
Old 12th April 2008, 16:16   #118
BHPian

What sort of FE did you get ?
Old 12th April 2008, 16:23   #119
BHPian

Nice, long drive you had there with your beauty! Seems like you have now settled down VERRY comfortably with the Safari (or shall I say, the Safari has settled down comfortably with you!)
Old 12th April 2008, 16:43   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post
What sort of FE did you get ?
i've been using bp diesel ever since i've got her and with the ac 100% in the city, i have got back 11.92. on the highway to rishikesh and back with about 170 odd kms of hill driving as well, i got 14.2 without ac. (been partial to bp since my palio has fed off speed for the past 3 1/2 years!!)

jaipur and back with some really quick driving with the ac on 100% all the time, i have got 12.2 (again with bp diesel)

just today, i've tanked up on ioc diesel with system d to see whether she feeds off this any better. will update on fe with ioc in about 700 kms!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkdelhi View Post
Nice, long drive you had there with your beauty! Seems like you have now settled down VERRY comfortably with the Safari (or shall I say, the Safari has settled down comfortably with you!)
yup - she and i have understood how we each like to drive and be driven! we are in the process of forming a very strong bond - hopefully it will stand the test of time!

well seriously, i now enjoy driving the safari around town and i'm a lot less stressed out in bumper to bumper traffic... just today, i was in the mother of all traffic jams and i walked out of it a lot more serene than i would have been even in the palio!

just today, i have also Llumar 'ised the front windshield. the safari now wears Llumar Diamond series AIR 75 front windshield film. retail is 5575, i got it for 5100 installed. in the little bit of time it has been on, i can already sense that the cabin is a lot less warm after sitting out in the sun for a while... will update on performance later.

the rearview camera lcd screen also replaced, so i now have the screen back "thank god". you need the camera in this car - it ain't a luxury - it is a necessity.

also, as controlling the audio system is a pain in the neck while driving, she also now has the services of a steering mounted audio remote - works like a breeze and also controls the ipod/cd etc etc...

so now, hopefully i is all set to face the delhi summer and hit the road again!!!!

ciao

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks